Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,097 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood (11510 Views)

Patrick Henry Edet To Wed After Resignation From Catholic Priesthood / Father Gospel Inalegwu Resigns From Priesthood / Catholic Church Excommunicates Rev. Patrick Edet Who Quit Priesthood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Oluwabenny: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
Afomus choronus nri
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by karleone(m): 3:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
Holy Thursday? Wat I knw is Good Friday, Easter Sunday n Galilee Wich one be Holy Thursday again

Which one is Galilee?
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by saintmark88(m): 3:39pm On Mar 24, 2016
Catholic Church indeed understands d scriptures, they are not bout miracles n witches n wizards killing pple, or about enemies dying, they just understand d scriptures, n follow their sacred traditions tht even a modern world cannot threaten..... I think I'll join them mark this Easter period, I am tired of prosperity teaching n my church n sowing of seed everyday, no moral teaching, it's just prosperity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by sabi99(m): 3:44pm On Mar 24, 2016
Jusmudi:
Scilicet et spiritum tuum
seminarians in d house

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Kezzy2(f): 3:45pm On Mar 24, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by poundlander: 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
why do you have to wait for a year to wash your feet when you can wash it 5 Times a day?
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 24, 2016
Jusmudi:
Etiam Tibi
...dominus sit cum omnibus vobis...
...were/are you a seminarian, sir?...

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 24, 2016
...a very lengthy post but worth every second I spent training my eyes on it...

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Jusmudi(m): 4:17pm On Mar 24, 2016
sabi99:
seminarians in d house
Smiling
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Jusmudi(m): 4:17pm On Mar 24, 2016
darkenedrebel:

...dominus sit cum omnibus vobis...

...were/are you a seminarian, sir?...

Smiling
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by monex(m): 4:19pm On Mar 24, 2016
kress2m1:
What utter nonsense!

What Christ showed the disciples, by washing their feet, was the following:

1. Servanthood - He, God Incarnate, was willing to serve and wash the feet of his disciples, when by right, they should be doing Him due service by washing His feet. He was showing them that following Christ was to renounce seeking glory and position, but being willing to take the lowliest seat and place, if that was what was on offer.

2. The Impact of His Shed Blood Upon The Sin Nature of Man - When a man has repented of his sins, is cleansed by the blood of Christ and is now a child of God, there can be no more repentance of this type. He is free from sin. But due to our nature, that man will still fall from time-to-time and for these, his heart cries out to God and he repents for falling short of the mark.

He is still a child of God, despite his falling into sin, but as one who seeks to please his Father in every way, he returns and asks for forgiveness. This is different to the first true repentance when he recognised that he was a sinner and deserving of the wrath of God and that unless Christ will have him, he must perish eternally.

Peter, seeing this in its full picture, asked that Christ wash him from head to foot! Christ's response was that he was already clean, but as they had gone out into the world and their feet had picked up dust, this was the only part that needed to be cleaned for Peter to be fully clean again (why wash the head when it was clean? Our Lord was and is not in the business of wasting resources). Peter was not willing to take a chance that his head and hands might be clean, he wanted double assurance! But the soothing words of Christ assured him that his assurance was secure and more than that. The lesson was that despite our best efforts, sin still finds a way to cleave to us and we must be diligent in rooting them out again and again.

Popes and Priests have bastardised this simple and effective analogy that Christ displayed. He never (and I dare you to show me in the bible) laid this down as a 'ritual' for Christians in the coming age to follow and I never read of Paul encouraging this either. Two things He left us; Baptising with water and sharing of Communion with one another and even these, men have made every attempt to drag into 'rituals', rather than what Christ intended them to be for.

This is the problem with man today. The simple 'repent and believe' in Christ for your salvation is not enough. Where someone will write all sorts to lead them astray, where their flesh will be titillated and their souls impoverished, that is what they will draw to their itching ears and carry out with all their might.
dont stress yourself bro. like the OP said, feetwashing is symbolic and catholics believe in symbolic rituals (not wrong to believe, not wrong not to believe in) but dont confuse yourself and wavering catholics that this makes one lose sight of the true intentions of Christ.

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by monex(m): 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2016
poundlander:
why do you have to wait for a year to wash your feet when you can wash it 5 Times a day?
because unlike Islam, feetwashing in the catholic church is only symbolic to represent something of a more powerful and deep meaning. Catholics, like all Christians, do not believe that dirt on the outside of the body makes one unclean.

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by samjadinero(m): 4:31pm On Mar 24, 2016
Vaabra01:
church tinz by 5pm..Anglican sure pass
I did today's Service at an Anglican church last year (NYSC tinz). Na cele sure pass today. grin

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Ubenedictus(m): 4:33pm On Mar 24, 2016
Appareil:
No God through Jesus has given us the keys to the Kingdom. Scriptures are for us to learn and follow. All scripture is given by God for doctrine. All!! all .
all scripture is profitable for doctrine, but not all specifically and literarily applies to u. Many old testament pasage do not apply to us, they are time specific, when d new came they became obsolate, others are people specific like d one that concern old testament priest and matt 16:16 where Jesus specifically call peter by name and promise him keys, that was a person specific one.

So yes there are scripture that were addressed to a person or some group of persons.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Rayhutar(m): 4:45pm On Mar 24, 2016
saintmark88:
Catholic Church indeed understands d scriptures, they are not bout miracles n witches n wizards killing pple, or about enemies dying, they just understand d scriptures, n follow their sacred traditions tht even a modern world cannot threaten..... I think I'll join them mark this Easter period, I am tired of prosperity teaching n my church n sowing of seed everyday, no moral teaching, it's just prosperity.
Despite criticisms Catholic Church remain the best Christian church in the world, no preaching of prosperity, build your riches in heaven where no termites will devour it, no sowing of seed for you to be rich, God can give riches to anybody and Satan can give riches, a muslim,Pegan,Budha,Jewish, Atheist,Armed robbers, Ritualist,Corrupt politicians and dubious business men etc can be rich. That somebody is rich does not mean that he is blessed by God, but most Pentecostals see riches of this world as must for all believers.

2 Likes

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Ubenedictus(m): 5:32pm On Mar 24, 2016
kress2m1:
What utter nonsense!

What Christ showed the disciples, by washing their feet, was the following:
Popes and Priests have bastardised this simple and effective analogy that Christ displayed. He never (and I dare you to show me in the bible) laid this down as a 'ritual' for Christians in the coming age to follow and I never read of Paul encouraging this either. Two things He left us; Baptising with water and sharing of Communion with one another and even these, men have made every attempt to drag into 'rituals', rather than what Christ intended them to be for.

This is the problem with man today. The simple 'repent and believe' in Christ for your salvation is not enough. Where someone will write all sorts to lead them astray, where their flesh will be titillated and their souls impoverished, that is what they will draw to their itching ears and carry out with all their might.
so this is all u could draw from the above?

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Pdizzle(m): 5:39pm On Mar 24, 2016
darkenedrebel:
...a very lengthy post but worth every second I spent training my eyes on it...

Reb, don't you think feminists will come for the church on a large scale very soon, and want to be priests? That part of the article makes God appear a sexist.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 24, 2016
Pdizzle:

Reb, don't you think feminists will come for the church on a large scale very soon, and want to be priests? That part of the article makes God appear a sexist.

....feminists like freecocoa?... cheesy

...let's be frank here, the rubrics of nature has advertently or inadvertently - as egalitarians like myself would argue; already placed men at the top of the food chain...

...I don't think god is a sexist...that's if he isn't even sexless...
...look at it from this perspective: the womenfolks played the most important role in the redemption of man...
...as a matter of fact, the part they played is the piece dè relevance of Christianity...
...or was it not a woman that begat Christ?...what honour could possibly surmount that?...I can think of none at the moment...

...Catholicism may seem patriarchal, but I think that's the way it's meant to be, or Christ would have constricted females instead of males to be his disciples...Holy Thursday is commemorated rightly so as the day of the institution of the holy Eucharist & the day of sacerdotal ordination - if women were ordinated, don't you think it would be in contradistinction to the exemplification laid bare by Christ 2000 years ago?

...there are after all Reverend sisters and Mother superiors, so it's not like they are entirely foreclosed...
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 24, 2016
Rayhutar:

Despite criticisms Catholic Church remain the best Christian church in the world, no preaching of prosperity, build your riches in heaven where no termites will devour it, no sowing of seed for you to be rich, God can give riches to anybody and Satan can give riches, a muslim,Pegan,Budha,Jewish, Atheist,Armed robbers, Ritualist,Corrupt politicians and dubious business men etc can be rich. That somebody is rich does not mean that he is blessed by God, but most Pentecostals see riches of this world as must for all believers.

I don't like your last phrase, not all are for riches, some are for following the word of God for salvation.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
Catholicism tries to fuse Christianity and paganism, that's where I have issues. I like the part of lenten observation once a year but the doctrines of purgatory, virgin Mary, prayer to saints, and so on made me leave. It's either you are totally for Jesus or not. I am not after material things or prosperity but the salvation of my soul. I am a sinner I admit, but Jesus has given me hope.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by TeleboiZ005(m): 8:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
Nice post...enjoyd evry bit of it....already inthe church...PROUD CATHOLIC wink

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by TeleboiZ005(m): 8:51pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sacluxpaint:
Catholicism tries to fuse Christianity and paganism, that's where I have issues. I like the part of lenten observation once a year but the doctrines of purgatory, virgin Mary, prayer to saints, and so on made me leave. It's either you are totally for Jesus or not. I am not after material things or prosperity but the salvation of my soul. I am a sinner I admit, but Jesus has given me hope.
...U NEED A STRONG FAITH AS A CATHOLIC(If only u are)....Its has been lyk dat from the begining(the belive that BVM intercedes 4 us nd SAINTS prays for us) nd will always remain lyk dat till the END......

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Ubenedictus(m): 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sacluxpaint:
purgatory, intercessioo of saints and mary, are part and parcel of christianity, it has been there since time imemoral, it isnt from paganism it is christianity. U just havent studied that far.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 9:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
TeleboiZ005:
...U NEED A STRONG FAITH AS A CATHOLIC(If only u are)....Its has been lyk dat from the begining(the belive that BVM intercedes 4 us nd SAINTS prays for us) nd will always remain lyk dat till the END......

1 Timothy 2:5 is my reply for you. I won't quote it here, read it from your own bible that is if you have.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 24, 2016
Ubenedictus:
purgatory, intercessioo of saints and mary, are part and parcel of christianity, it has been there since time imemoral, it isnt from paganism it is christianity. U just havent studied that far.

Read about emperor Constantine and origin of catholicism. If it's not totally about Christ, don't call it Christianity.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Ubenedictus(m): 11:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

Read about emperor Constantine and origin of catholicism. If it's not totally about Christ, don't call it Christianity.
constatine didnt start catholicism, he met it and decided to allow xtians worship without persecution, intercesion of saint and mary were there long b4 constatine was born.

Someone has misinformed u.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by ifenes(m): 11:21pm On Mar 24, 2016
Macelliot:

Lies. Washing of feet is biblical..
Pisces is the "fish-symbol" in Astrology..
Pisces ended on the 20th of this month. Aries began on 21..

Why was washing the feet important? Because Pisces rules the feet. Make your research before talking.

The Sun begins to rise at the end of Pisces,which is why they do the Easter rituals for the rising of the Sun. The Sun died on the cross on december 21th and rose again in Aries,which is why spring sales in on in Europe now. The celebration of the coming Summer(Full Sun)

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Ubenedictus(m): 11:34pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

If it's not totally about Christ, don't call it Christianity.
even Mary, purgatory and intercession is all about Christ, there can be no intercession without that unique mediator called Jesus! He is the reason whx xtians can interceed, mary is who she is cos of Jesus, no Jesus, no mary, what is purgatory if not the application of d merits of Jesus who save our souls by fire even though our works are imperfect 1cor 3:15. It all is about jesus

1 Like

Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by wadetaw202: 11:56pm On Mar 24, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
Holy Thursday? Wat I knw is Good Friday, Easter Sunday n Galilee Wich one be Holy Thursday again

The day preceding the arrest and death of Jesus
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
even Mary, purgatory and intercession is all about Christ, there can be no intercession without that unique mediator called Jesus! He is the reason whx xtians can interceed, mary is who she is cos of Jesus, no Jesus, no mary, what is purgatory if not the application of d merits of Jesus who save our souls by fire even though our works are imperfect 1cor 3:15. It all is about jesus

Did Jesus die for you to experience purgatory? Did he die for half of your sins? You have no right claiming Christianity if you don't believe his death paid for ALL. If one is to believe Roman catholic purgatory, then you are indirectly saying his work on the cross was in vain. It's just like a father that toiled very hard to pay his son's school fees only for the son to go and steal to pay the fees, how would the father feel? Like it was all a waste. Please help yourself with isaiah 53:5 and Romans 5:8.
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by saintmark88(m): 12:38am On Mar 25, 2016
Rayhutar:

My broda u nack am for head kpoko
Re: Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood by Appareil(m): 9:52am On Mar 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
all scripture is profitable for doctrine, but not all specifically and literarily applies to u. Many old testament pasage do not apply to us, they are time specific, when d new came they became obsolate, others are people specific like d one that concern old testament priest and matt 16:16 where Jesus specifically call peter by name and promise him keys, that was a person specific one.

So yes there are scripture that were addressed to a person or some group of persons.
Understood!!! By the Grace of God, through the help of the Holy Spirit, I can make a clear distinction between those categories you mentioned. Merci!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Christians Should React To The Legalization Of Same-Sex Marriage / Lady With Two Pregnancy Complications, Delivers Naturally After Prayers / How Should A Christian View Internet Addiction?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.