Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,362 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

What Is And Why Vin? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is And Why Vin? (1851 Views)

Free Vin Check (www.autocheck.com.ng) / DIY (DO-IT-YOURSELF) ABSOLUTELY FREE VIN CHECK / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is And Why Vin? by bimbor(m): 8:00pm On Jul 24, 2009
Guys permit me 2 ask this, I hear a lot about VIN in this section, I Know its an acronym for 'Vehicle Identification Number' but why do people always advise one to crosscheck it on a vehicle up 4 sale? I also like 2 know the meaning of 'Carfax report'. U guys shd pardon my ignorance, I'm only but a Doctor, i'm a kindergarten when it comes to Automobiles, so can someone shed some light on the issues above?
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by oluomoadebayo: 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2009
With VIN and a car fax report,you will be able to know the history of the car you re buying.
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by KunleA2(m): 10:46pm On Jul 24, 2009
bimbor:

Guys permit me 2 ask this, I hear a lot about VIN in this section, I Know its an acronym for 'Vehicle Identification Number' but why do people always advise one to crosscheck it on a vehicle up 4 sale? I also like 2 know the meaning of 'Carfax report'. U guys shd pardon my ignorance, I'm only but a Doctor, i'm a kindergarten when it comes to Automobiles, so can someone shed some light on the issues above?

In the US, the VIN is used to record all activities on the car. Every time you go for registration, service, change of ownership etc. Also, more importantly when a car gets in an accident, it (99% of the time) will be recorded on the history (i.e VIN) of the car. The VIN is unique to each car. (i.e No two vehicles have the same VIN). The CARFAX report is the report that details all these info.

So for example, if a car went for registration, it might be recorded to have 90,000 miles on it already driven. So it SOMETIMES  wink happen to see the same car showing only 31,000 miles on it after it gets to Nigeria  wink. So you add 1+1 you can know that its been rolled back. Only a CARFAX report will let you know that.

Like i mentioned, it can also show you that the car has been involved in an accident. You can still buy the car, but you wanna inspect it properly and make sure you bid on the car accordingly. Accidented cars (also called salvaged) SHOULD under normal circumstances be cheaper than non-accidented ones.

Some cars also have been in flood areas (Katrina etc). The CARFAX can also tell you if the car has been reported as water damaged or registered in a flood zone. You wanna run away from those!

In you line of work (Im assuming you are a medical Doctor). A CARFAX will be similar to a patient's medical history/chart. It details prior ailment/treatment, allergies, etc) You will always ask the patients of these things to "diagnose" them when they come in.

Always check a CARFAX report on a car before you buy it. It at least gives u an idea of the car's history.

Remember all these aformentioned are only for US cars. I don't know anything about European system.

Let me know if you have any further question(s)
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by bimbor(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2009
Thanks man, ure a great guy, that really helped. But how do i know the VIN?
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by Igwe9(m): 11:46am On Jul 25, 2009
bimbor:

Thanks man, ure a great guy, that really helped. But how do i know the VIN?
You 've just been told what VIN is, where you should locate the VIN in a vehicle?
here we go  from monitor 1. ,  , , . . .

Monitor_1:

Since the vehicle was Lagos cleared, the Bill of laden that was used to clear the car contains the 17 digit chassis number or VIN. That's the first place to look.

The VIN number is normally engraved or on a sticker in numerous places in the car (inside the dash, the doors, the trunk, engine, and/or quarter panels).  This site shows you some common locations of the VIN http://www.carmd.com/TipsAndAdvice/VehicleVINLocations.aspx

Monitor_1

Re: What Is And Why Vin? by KunleA2(m): 11:52am On Jul 25, 2009
VIN is located inside the engine firewall, corner dashboard area on the driver's side and the door post on the driver side. The below pics should help.

Anytime you wanna buy the car, you can post it here for check.

Re: What Is And Why Vin? by bimbor(m): 12:02pm On Jul 25, 2009
Thanks, i copy.
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by bimbor(m): 12:04pm On Jul 25, 2009
Thanks, i copy.
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2009
bimbor (m)

What Is And Why Vin?
« on: Yesterday at 08:00:46 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bimbor

It gives you the low-down report about history of the car you are planning to buy. Some cars are regarded as death trap or cuffin. Don't buy a car without a Carfax Report.
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by CarGuideNG: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by FlynnPlant: 11:30am On Apr 27, 2021
Thank you for share the VIN info in details. Screen mirroring feature has been incorporated in all the latest mobiles. I think it is greying out from your mobile due to some technical issue that must be resolved out soon and check out VinPit official for vin decoder yahama. It will be sorted out from some experts so you need to check your mobile.
Re: What Is And Why Vin? by computerglobal(m): 12:21pm On Apr 27, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Suv Or Jeep / Install Fog Light On 2005 Honda Pilot / Attention! Attention!! Vehicle Registration Renewal, New Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.