Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,537 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Thread For Maize Farmers - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Thread For Maize Farmers (25833 Views)

Maize Farmers, You Have To Read This Testimony / Maize Farmers Come In Here / Calling The Attention Of All Maize Farmers And Suppliers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 6:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
Gadgetmobil:
Respect
More update tonight.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 12:54am On Apr 24, 2016
We started our maize planting with these hand-driven seed planters and they have proven to be effective so far. We are using 25cm by 75cm spacing

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 12:38pm On Apr 24, 2016
Later this evening I will talk a little about AVOIDING DELAYS in maize farming.

Thanks

1--FINISH YOUR PLANTING ON PAPER BEFORE PLANTING ON THE SOIL.

By this I mean every farmer ought to do a proper planning eliminating as many assumptions as possible. Some basic things that must be in place before planting include but not limited to; choice of seed to plant and where to get it, decision of land preparation methods and a flexible date of delivery of the task, planting methods i.e. are you doing mechanized planting or manual etc.

All this are time-bound and if they are not well taken care of, it will delay a lot operation on the farm.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:18am On Apr 25, 2016
1--FINISH YOUR PLANTING ON PAPER BEFORE PLANTING ON THE SOIL. By this I mean every farmer ought to do a proper planning eliminating as many assumptions as possible. Some basic things that must be in place before planting include but not limited to; choice of seed to plant and where to get it, decision of land preparation methods and a flexible date of delivery of the task, planting methods i.e. are you doing mechanized planting or manual etc.

All this are time-bound and if they are not well taken care of, it will delay a lot operation on the farm.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 3:47pm On Apr 25, 2016
A good afternoon to you all
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by phenomem(m): 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2016
well done hotmas... kudos to you for breaking down maize farming to us like abc. i intend on planting maize, and ive gotten the land. now that rain only falls once in a while, won't it have an effect on growth of the maize. and how much is one tonne of maize now? pls I will be waiting for your answers
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Molayan: 8:38pm On Apr 25, 2016
@hotmas, U still don't answer my question. Selling a cob for #10. How many cobs can b harvest averagely on 1ha of land. Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:06pm On Apr 25, 2016
Molayan:
@hotmas, U still don't answer my question. Selling a cob for #10. How many cobs can b harvest averagely on 1ha of land. Thanks

I'm very sorry, I didn't get back to you.
I don't have figures for that.
Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 1:12pm On Apr 26, 2016
phenomem:
well done hotmas... kudos to you for breaking down maize farming to us like abc. i intend on planting maize, and ive gotten the land. now that rain only falls once in a while, won't it have an effect on growth of the maize. and how much is one tonne of maize now? pls I will be waiting for your answers

Maize planting this year is a risk and this is due to weather and climate predictions. However, if you consider the weather history of your area(I dont know where your farm is) you should be able to make some predictions.

Like a saying " he who watches the wind may not plant"
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
AVOIDING DELAYS IN MAIZE FARMING

2--ALWAYS HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE:

Well this may be applicable to any field but in agriculture it very important. We live in a society where a lot of activities depend on unstable factors. So to curb this you must plan with a second option in mind.
Note that machinery can dissappoint you, machine operator may do the same, logistics of materials sometimes too. In essence try as much as you can to reduce errors from the outside party.
Also when you make procurements on farm kindly make provisions for wastages due to anything, repairs and so on.

NB: It is never too early to start planning, ACQUIRE CHEAP FARMLANDS and buy into the future

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Ajusshi: 12:47am On Apr 27, 2016
hotmas911:

Maize planting this year is a risk and this is due to weather and climate predictions. However, if you consider the weather history of your area(I dont know where your farm is) you should be able to make some predictions.

Like a saying " he who watches the wind may not plant"

Oga, per the bold part, are you ashamed to credit the Holy Bible with that quote? It's not a saying; it is from the Holy Bible (Ecclesiastes 11:4)

Per the topic, the weather is crazy (effect of El Nino) but i do not think it is bad news. My reason is that since it 's a general thingy if the yield is not good, the price will be high due to higher demand.

Planted exactly a week ago, no rain since then but it has germinated.
Just doing a sidon luk for the rain.
I wish you a bountiful harvest in advance.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 2:09pm On Apr 27, 2016
Good day to all farmers in here.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by oduncojamaica(m): 3:42pm On Apr 27, 2016
pls madam can you tell me more about ur seed planter,,name
hectares per day
price amount
where to buy it
to olatunjiodusanya@gmail.com
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:55pm On Apr 27, 2016
oduncojamaica:
pls madam can you tell me more about ur seed planter,,name
hectares per day
price amount
where to buy it
to olatunjiodusanya@gmail.com

The seed planter is 60,000naira,
You can place your order with us.
As for the efficiency, it is capable of dropping seed per seconds.depending on the spacing you set it to.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by oduncojamaica(m): 7:06pm On Apr 28, 2016
hotmas911:

The seed planter is 60,000naira,
You can place your order with us.
As for the efficiency, it is capable of dropping seed per seconds.depending on the spacing you set it to.
thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2016
This picture shows the effect of a proven herbicide on our field.
It was sprayed before the seed germinated....

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:24pm On May 02, 2016
How is the rain situation around you?
Share here
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by FarmTech(m): 11:05am On May 03, 2016
Hmm, me I went into crop farming this yr on 2 plots of land. Rain has been very unreliable. I've made ridges but I'm afraid to plant yet bc of rain. The little I planted I have to water myself.
I'll like to ask. If there is rain 2day and u plant sth like maize, cucumber, ugu, okro, water melon the next day. Then there is no rain for the next 7 days, will the plants all die?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by knostbrown01(m): 7:51pm On May 03, 2016
FarmTech:
Hmm, me I went into crop farming this yr on 2 plots of land. Rain has been very unreliable. I've made ridges but I'm afraid to plant yet bc of rain. The little I planted I have to water myself.
I'll like to ask. If there is rain 2day and u plant sth like maize, cucumber, ugu, okro, water melon the next day. Then there is no rain for the next 7 days, will the plants all die?

it will still grown bro, Relax
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:41pm On May 03, 2016
?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by kyriake(m): 7:31pm On May 17, 2016
Please house, I want to know how effective foliar fertilizers will be on my maize cos my farm is too large for NPK application.

Also help me on the best foliar fertilizer for maize.

Thank you all in advance
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 17, 2016
oga hotmas911 Pls can one still plant watermelon by this time, I had the wrong people paid for the set up of the watermelon and honestly I'm regretting it because all was done behind me. Please how can you advice someone who is new in agriculture. Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by major911(m): 8:24am On May 19, 2016
Oga hotmas i salute u ooo, pls u mentioned some chemicals in ur discuss like the one to increase drought resistance and and to one to control weed throughout the maize. Buh u hv nt given the names, i know its not must u give the names buh pls help us wey be upcoming
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Kanyesteve1(m): 9:51am On May 20, 2016
kanyesteve2@gmail.com
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by olaide68(m): 4:45pm On May 20, 2016
[color=#000000][/color]To further reduce cost of labour and improve on our speed, we got some hand-driven seed planters.] Good job, please, where can we get hand - driven seed planters to buy? Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:07am On May 25, 2016
Good morning maize farmers, it has been a while.Updates on maize farming will be up here in hours.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 10:32pm On May 31, 2016
Good evening maize farmers.
This is our maize in 45days. Even with level of success, the expectation interms of performance or growth is not at 100%. One interesting thing farmers may also take note of it burning on the farmland during land preparation.
On our farm, portion where some burning took place was very fertile for the maize.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by mecuzee(m): 2:43pm On Jun 03, 2016
hotmas911:
Good evening maize farmers.
This is our maize in 45days. Even with level of success, the expectation interms of performance or growth is not at 100%. One interesting thing farmers may also take note of it burning on the farmland during land preparation.
On our farm, portion where some burning took place was very fertile for the maize.

Impressive!
Can poultry manure use in foliar application on maize? How can it be prepared?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by REUBEN010(m): 8:25pm On Jun 03, 2016
Ferraricash:
oga hotmas911 Pls can one still plant watermelon by this time, I had the wrong people paid for the set up of the watermelon and honestly I'm regretting it because all was done behind me. Please how can you advice someone who is new in agriculture. Thanks
Is the rainfall pattern over there severe, is there a history of plant parasitic nematode infestation over there? If yes, I'll suggest you sow some other crop while waiting for second planting season. Normally, watermelon thrives well under an irrigation system that controls water supply.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 10:40am On Jun 04, 2016
More pictures

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
REUBEN010:

Is the rainfall pattern over there severe, is there a history of plant parasitic nematode infestation over there? If yes, I'll suggest you sow some other crop while waiting for second planting season. Normally, watermelon thrives well under an irrigation system that controls water supply.
sir, I've seen people harvest good products of watermelon on same land because my land is damarcated from others but lots of reasons surrounding the bad experience since its my first time but I'm thinking of planting this month end. Is it advisable? It's been 3days no without rain.. Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by idieagle: 8:36am On Jun 05, 2016
Kindly send the manual planter price to idieagle011@yahoo.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Is A Bag Of Cucumber / Agriculture Grants Thread / Osun State Farmers, Let Meet Over Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.