Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:31 PM

Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? (5611 Views)

"Ibrahim Danmaziri Murtala Hired Thugs To Attack A Blogger" - Facebook User / 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo / How I Saved Nigeria After Murtala Mohammed's Murder: OBJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Cvesta(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
mightyhazel:
clap 4 yourself!
Killiwe nwachukwu!

So wot wud have averted the bloodshed was killing off the coup plotters dat voluntarily handed demselves over and were already languishing in various. Jails,awaitin punishments abi?
Tell me anywhere in the world where killers are tried and killed off within 5months.

I can't bliv am evn havin dis discussions wit u.

U shd be talkin 2 a psychoanalyst,...given ur mental state,...

And dis is a candid advice!
Maybe u don't live on Earth...Ironsi was a military junta with no laws hindering him from finding all needed facts ASAP

1 Like

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by raumdeuter: 3:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
ss

1 Like

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by raumdeuter: 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2016
x
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by mightyhazel: 5:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
raumdeuter:
ss
like seriously?

Y did u delete dat rabid post of urs?

I had prepared a befittin retort 4 u,...one dat wud have laid u and ur type real bare for all 2 see.

For all 2 see the stuff my 'fellow countrymen' are made. Up of. And y Nigeria is actually a joke,....a retrogressin entity!

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by raumdeuter: 9:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
^^ Who is more cowardly a soldier who went to war faced the war and won the war or the one who hid in bunkers and when war came to his doorstep fled to Abidjan

Came back married the daughter of his friend whom he attended her christening and he was even named the little childs godfather

He came back to contest for senate lost, contested for presidency lost.

How did Ojuku die? Deaf dumb and lonely in a London hospital while the wife he married became the national bicycle for Fani kayode, Atiku, Peter Obi and Jonathan. She became like Federal character 1 Yoruba, I hausa, 1 Ibo 1 ijaw

How is Ojuku's family after he has gone? His family is in disarray. They are suing one another

As a soldier Adekunle excelled in warfare as a Soldier Ojuku failed and fled warfront

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by jpphilips(m): 12:44am On Mar 29, 2016
author=Noneroone post=44185997]
read well before u reply. I did say that Germany paid enormously for the holocaust and WW 11 and the subsequent prosperity was after some atonement and reparations . After the holocaust they lost their respect and after the second world war they lost global influence. Especially not being a parmanent member of the UN security council

You are still rambling absent facts, in what way did Germany pay for Holocaust? In what way did Germany pay for world war 2?

What empirical evidence do you have to support that? You make assumptions and pass it off as a fact then gloat over it as if you have a point .
Going by your warped logic, Japan lost to the US in the 2nd world war because they committed some Holocaust too? Argentina lost to the British in the Falkland war because they committed Holocaust i guess?
Perhaps IPOB should have won Nigeria because Nigeria committed genocide abi?
Infantile reasoning.

After the second world war Germany lost their global influence because they were defeated nothing more!! When you lose in battle you are fvcked, it happens everytime & everywhere only an uneducated Nigerian youth doesn't know that.

UN security council permanent seat for Germany? Based on what? Your own usual hallucination?
Perhaps you just googled that part and you chipped it in to sound intelligent abi?
Did Germany tell you that they want a sit there? You just exposed yourself that you have no idea what that council is about except for a quick Google search you just did.

You continue making aimless assumptions, Let me educate you, not that you deserve it anyways,
first, there was no security council before Germany was defeated hence Germany can not wish for something that does not exist except in your own imagination.

Secondly, after the defeat of Germany, the permanent members of the Security council are victors of the second world war rightly put "Association of people who defeated Germany " why would Germany wish to be there? To celebrate his own defeat? Who does that? Is that how you reason?

German could have spoken in Africa just like English and French if not for their loss
after WW11 younger Germans expressed remorse for the holocaust. The holocaust is taught in German schools even from nusery school, unlike Nigeria who banned History in East and renamed monuments which portrayed historical truth. Younger Germans know the fore fathers were wrong. Germany also paid reparations amounting to billions of Euros to survivors and today stands out as one of the most liberal nations under mekel
its part of the characters Nigerians have. Not eager to accept truth. Today Germany is the biggest economy and most advanced country in europe. Are they accepting muslim migrants also as a 'consequence of defeat'?
Even Us respect them.

So teaching Holocaust in Nursery school amounts to Atonement? Is that how you reason? look up that word in the dictionary if you have one.
Germany was forced to pay reparations by Allied powers who defeated them not out of goodwill, I don't care how slow you are to learning, I will not remind you that again.
Perhaps you just googled WW2 to be making noise here, don't you know that Germany was equally forced to pay reparations after their WW1 defeat? Have you heard of "treaty of Versailles"? I doubt, perhaps it wasn't taught at the free community school you graduated from.

Tell us you just read CNN news bar to know Germany took in refugees as if your TV didn't show you poorer nations like Greece who took overwhelming number of refugees?
What relevance does taking in refugees have here? Are you an aspiring refugee?
Anyways, it might interest you to note that after taking in those refugees, Merkel's conservative party just lost most of their seats in Parliament, guess the younger German people have spoken through the ballot. Angela Marckel is not sure of becoming the next Chancellor, what does that tell you? Even Charity has to be politically correct to be appreciated, I suppose your Heroic Germany has indicted you on political
"Correctness", that takes us back to the fundamental difference between OBJ and Aguiyi Ironsi. Obj understood that harmony and unity in diversity thrives on justice and trust hence he was able to avert a would be Murtala bloodshed unlike Ironsi who left his common sense in Abia state.

I also provided reasons to show that the coup didnt cause the pogrom. The coup can only result to counter coup. No real human with brain will justify killing of women and children who have no business with coupist. Only NIGERIANS like u have that mindset

Wrap your face and emotions in sentiments for all I care, without the coup, there will be no counter coup that degenerated to a pogrom, that is common sense, though I don't expect you to string it together, Can you even fathom a situation where a Major killed a prime Minister? a lieutenant Killing a General? The death of Ironsi means no Head of State, it was total chaos, who could have controlled the situation when the HOS was tied to a Landrover?
No matter how well the counter coup was planned it was bound to spill to the streets and that was exactly what happened, the HOS is in command of Army, Navy, Airforce, Police, Immigration etc, you tie him to a land rover and expect the carnage not to spill?
Not mentioning the complacency or rather complicity of the then State police.
where are thy brain? Worse still, the same people who killed the HOS are the same people who took control of governance do you expect the killings to end?
Thank God for Ojukwu/Nkrumah who extracted a commitment of peace from the new HOS, IG of Police, all the premiers at the Aburi conference. You need to understand that the pogrom was a function of a breakdown of law and order as a result of the caliber of people who were assassinated, they held positions of authority and influence. There was power vacuum, everybody was doing as he or she likes, are you aware that Nigerians first heard of Ironsi's death when all the parties returned from Ghana, so who was piloting the affairs of the nation hitherto?

If you still can't connect the Pogrom with the coup, then you are dumb beyond help.

I brought cause and effect to your notice does not imply I support it, only an individual with the IQ of a rabbit will make such an obnoxious connection.
No be Nigerian youth again? I can't be surprised.

stop putting genocide side by side with coup in ur vain attemp to downplay its gravity

Like I said above, not everyone has the capacity to draw realistic parallels. Why you study history is to know and apply cause and effect.
There are things you don't start not because you can not but you can never predict the outcome.
That is where wisdom and history play a vital role.

If Kaduna Nzeogwu had the inkling that his boy scout Movement of January 7th 1966 will take so many lives including his own, im sure that the wisdom in him would have advised better.
If Japan knew Pearl Harbour attack would amount to perpetual military slavery, I believe they would have allowed wisdom to prevail.
If Napoleon Bonaparte knew that waterloo would be his last, he may as well allowed the third realm to continue and jettison the whole revolution idea.

Let me remind you that OBJ again in 2002 averted another disaster, before the ICJ ruling in favour of Cameroon on the Sovereignty of Bakassi Peninsular, Abacha hitherto stationed Nigerian army on the disputed region as a show of force, towards the first tenure of OBJ, he realized that the show of force has caught the interest of France who was on the side of Cameroon.
Do you think that OBJ will not wish to maintain Abacha's show of force being militarily superior to Cameroon? but he didn't do that because he was smart enough to see the big picture.
War with cameroon at that time was tantamount to a proxy war with France, the moment the ICJ judgement came, he quickly handed over the peninsular, I can tell you without mincing words that OBJ remains one of the smartest leaders Nigeria has ever produced, only if he added sincerity of purpose to his persona, he would have been the finest. That tacit withdrawal saved a lot of lives.

People like us drum history into the thick skulls of people like you not because we support evil but because we
See this present generation towing the same old path of ignominy.

but God is already punishing ur beloved pit of lies called Nigeria. U have two of five deadliest terror groups in the world. There is acute poverty, inflation, unemployment, extrajudicial killings, reccession and no hope for the future. Can you mention one country in the world that is not in a state of war where a Nigerian will not do better if he settles there. Nigeria is the worst country in the world.

Are you not a Nigerian in Nigeria, Or your relatives are not in Nigeria? Wake up!!
Pray Trump does not emerge the next POTUS, most of you Aliens in the US will sing a new song.

trash! Was kumuyi harmed?

IPOBeans brain Imagine the s!lly question? have you thought of the consequences of harming someone like Kumuyi?
If Nnamdi Kanu had any history, it would never cross his mind to give such an order.
Obasanjo has led the way in conflict resolution, you either follow or face the perennial consequence. You are too shallow to deserve my response, Find yourself another c0ck mate, Easter break is over!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by orisa37: 5:25am On Mar 29, 2016
You don't kill a mosquito with a sledge hammer. IBB was enough to remove Dimka and OBJ was more than enough to remove Bissala. Ojukwu was a Hyena And you need an allied forces to torpedo him and his recalcitrant co conspirators from this planet. I would have killed him beyond Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by fulanimafia: 6:24am On Mar 29, 2016
If I have learnt anything about the Ibos, it's that they seem to not expect consequences for their actions, and often assume people are daft to their shenanigans.

Imagine killing our regional and spiritual leaders and even gloating over it, were they expecting a pat on the back? Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

1 Like

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Noneroone(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2016
jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997] .

[color=#000099]You are still rambling absent facts, in what way did Germany pay for Holocaust? In what way did Germany pay for world war 2?

What empirical evidence do you have to support that? You make assumptions and pass it off as a fact then gloat over it as if you have a point .
Going by your warped logic, Japan lost to the US in the 2nd world war because they committed some Holocaust too? Argentina lost to the British in the Falkland war because they committed Holocaust i guess?
Perhaps IPOB should have won Nigeria because Nigeria committed genocide abi?
Infantile reasoning.

After the second world war Germany lost their global influence because they were defeated nothing more!! When you lose in battle you are fvcked, it happens everytime & everywhere only an uneducated Nigerian youth doesn't know that.
just look at the statements in bold and see how answered ur own question and foolishly contradicted ur sensless ranting. Do u have brain at all? Do i need to reply u when u've done that already?
jpphilips:
UN security council permanent seat for Germany? Based on what? Your own usual hallucination?
Perhaps you just googled that part and you chipped it in to sound intelligent abi?
Did Germany tell you that they want a sit there? You just exposed yourself that you have no idea what that council is about except for a quick Google search you just did.
save ur silly and senseless questions! U should have also asked whether Germany wanted to win the ww11. They dont want global influence yet they embarked on imperialistic conquest in Africa like france &Uk. U type heap of rubish without making one sense. Stop reasoning upside down. Germany doesnt want it but ur failed Nigeria wants it abi?

jpphilips:
You continue making aimless assumptions, Let me educate you, not that you deserve it anyways,
first, there was no security council before Germany was defeated hence Germany can not wish for something that does not exist except in your own imagination.

Secondly, after the defeat of Germany, the permanent members of the Security council are victors of the second world war rightly put "Association of people who defeated Germany " why would Germany wish to be there? To celebrate his own defeat? Who does that? Is that how you reason?
kid! Stop foaming from the mouth! loosing the security council seat was part of loosing global influence. UN formation was an aftermath of German defeat but has become a world decision making organ that include all independent nations. All the perm members of sec council are the 'mates' of Germany before WW11. Hence Germany needs the seat if she must return effectively to Global politics. Even US considered that option in order to pre-empt their possible alliance with Russia. No nation wants to be shut out even north korea! May be Germany's membership of UN means they re celebrating their defeat inur funny logic

jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997]So teaching Holocaust in Nursery school amounts to Atonement? Is that how you reason? look up that word in the dictionary if you have one.
i dont blame u if u dont know how important such history is to national stability. Are u not a citizen of rotten Nigeria who was ruled for better part by illiterate army generals. I bet u wouldnt know how silly ur reasonong is if u dont step out of this hellhole
jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997] that takes us back to the fundamental difference between OBJ and Aguiyi Ironsi. Obj understood that harmony and unity in diversity thrives on justice and trust hence he was able to avert a would be Murtala bloodshed
u re not making one sense. After ironsi was killed genocide on Igbos was followed which u justified. When Gowon, a middlebeltan, was outcouped, middlebeltans led coup killed muhammed. Dimka even admitted they wanted to restore gowon. Obasanjo killed dimka the way north killed ironsi, why didnt they go further and carryout genocide againt middlebeltans they it was done on ironsi's pple. Answer me and stop ur delibrate obfuscation just to impress me with ur new learned word 'political correctness'
jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997] [s]
Germany was forced to pay reparations by Allied powers who defeated them not out of goodwill, I don't care how slow you are to learning, I will not remind you that
Perhaps you just googled WW2 to be making noise here, don't you know that Germany was equally forced to pay reparations after their WW1 defeat? Have you heard of "treaty of Versailles"? Idoubt, perhaps it wasn't taught at the [b]free[/b]community school you graduated from.[/s]
was it paid or not?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Noneroone(m): 10:12am On Mar 29, 2016
jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997] .

Tell us you just read CNN news bar to know Germany took in refugees as if your TV didn't show you poorer nations like Greece who took overwhelming number of refugees?
What relevance does taking in refugees have here? Are you an aspiring refugee?
Anyways, it might interest you to note that after taking in those refugees, Merkel's conservative party just lost most of their seats in Parliament, guess the younger German people have spoken through the ballot. Angela Marckel is not sure of becoming the next Chancellor, what does that tell you? Even Charity has to be politically correct to be appreciated, I suppose your Heroic Germany has indicted you on political
"Correctness",
u implied taking refugees was no big deal yet u want to score a point against Germany with it. Logic! Btw many countries in europe rejected refugees that Germany is accepting and that is earning them respect. The protest and loss of mekels party resulted from increased terrorism by suspected terrorist within the migrants. The apprehension is also in Us and france not only Germany, which is why trump is gaining grounds.
jpphilips:
author=Noneroone post=44185997]Wrap your face and emotions in sentiments for all I care, without the coup, there will be no counter coup that degenerated to a pogrom, that is common sense, though I don't expect you to string it together, Can you even fathom a situation where a Major killed a prime Minister? a lieutenant Killing a General? The death of Ironsi means no Head of State, it was total chaos, who could have controlled the situation when the HOS was tied to a Landrover?
No matter how well the counter coup was planned it was bound to spill to the streets and that was exactly what happened, the HOS is in command of Army, Navy, Airforce, Police, Immigration etc, you tie him to a land rover and expect the carnage not to spill?
where are thy brain? Worse still, the same people who killed the HOS are the same people who took control of governance do you expect the killings to end?
Thank God for Ojukwu/Nkrumah who extracted a commitment of peace from the new HOS, IG of Police, all the premiers at the Aburi conference. You need to understand that the pogrom was a function of a breakdown of law and order as a result of the caliber of people who were assassinated, they held positions of authority and influence. There was power vacuum, everybody was doing as he or she likes, are you aware that Nigerians first heard of Ironsi's death when all the parties returned from Ghana, so who was piloting the affairs of the nation hitherto?

If you still can't connect the Pogrom with the coup, then you are dumb beyond help.

I brought cause and effect to your notice
u justified the pogrom as the necessary effect of the counter coup while at the same time saying there was break down of order. U implied igbos should accept pogrom as consequence of 'their' coup while at same time blaming the pogrom on lawlessness. U re pathetic. Btw the pogrom started with the counter coup. There was no power vacuum. It was done by army under gowon's command and nothern civilian. I dont blame u. U re a nigerian brought up in a pit of lie thinking u re educated

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Noneroone(m): 10:30am On Mar 29, 2016
@ jpphilips

i am happy u accept that Nigeria is a failed state reaping the fruits of genocide. Pls stop ur ad hominem argument by asking if i am a nigeria. That doesnt erase the fact that Nigeria is a failed state and nothing can save. Leave trump alone and focus on ur failed state

Btw u seem to have deep fear of IPOB just like other guilty Nigerians. Otherwise why bringing up ipob in an unrelated topic. U vacillated, oscillated and dilly dallied typical of a disgruntled Nigerian looking for whom dump his misery and vent his frustrations on. Goodday!

Like u rightly said i dont deserve ur mention. Keep ur word if u have integrity.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by APCHaram: 8:13am On Sep 02, 2019
ShinnBet:
The January 15, 1966 coup has been erroneously declared and described as an Igbo coup.

While the tribal make up of the Jan 15 coup does not bear the hallmark to one single tribe as there where Yoruba and Hausa officers and rank and file involved in the planning and execution of the coup, the backlash of the jan 15 coup led to genocidal attacks on igbos living in the north.

Now if we consider the Dimka coup of 1976 on the murtala administration you will find one striking characteristic in terms of the make up of the coup plotters who were mainly drawn from the Anges tribe from Platuea state and also from other middle belt Christian tribes.

So why was there no retaliatory pogroms by the Hausa Fulani on the Anges tribe and the Christian middle belt on the murder of Murtala by Dimka and his fellow conspirators?

Simply because the Hausa Fulanis are cowards.

They only resort to attacking minority settlers in their midst.

In 1966/67, the Igbos were the major settlers in the north.

Their presence was large enough to be noticed and their success drew more than enough jealousy and envy as well to inspire wet dreams of Jihad looting.

The Anges and other Christian middle belt people were the least dispersed people and resided mainly in their region. They had no significant population to warrant a pogrom by the Fulani Hausa north to mark their grievances over murtala's assassination by a bunch of infidels from the pagan region of the north.
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by PFRB: 9:10am On Sep 02, 2019
(Now that I presume you understand the basics, you will agree that when Aguiyi Ironsi became the head of state, his first duty will necessitate the trial of the coup plotters and serving justice for other regions who lost both political and Religious leadership (Northern region) that he never did.)
Jpp. Gowon was in charge of investigation but only submitted his report on the eve of the coup. What do you make of that?
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by steady986(m): 5:21pm On Nov 16, 2020
I just want to point out that apart from Balewa and Amadu Bello, Samuel Akintola, who was premier of the west, was also killed in the January 1966 coup. But there were no anti-igbo pogroms in the west.
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by aribisala0(m): 5:35pm On Nov 16, 2020
Justice was served to Dimka whereas Ironsi tried to play Ibo sense. For months he did nothing protecting his brethren instead.
Not only that many Ibos started taunting Northerner and released mocking songs and pictures
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Muna4real(f): 5:36pm On Nov 16, 2020
wadetaw202:

You may promote all the peace you want; Hausa Fulani will still come to your village and kill your men, rape your wives and sisters and kidnap your children.

Thank you very much for reminding him that. He wants to promote peace with people who do not like peace. That's the problem with southerners and Christians . They are trying to force peace on unpeacefull people. Does that work? While they are preaching peace, their loved ones are dying . It's stupidity.
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Muna4real(f): 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2020
ShinnBet:
The January 15, 1966 coup has been erroneously declared and described as an Igbo coup.

While the tribal make up of the Jan 15 coup does not bear the hallmark to one single tribe as there where Yoruba and Hausa officers and rank and file involved in the planning and execution of the coup, the backlash of the jan 15 coup led to genocidal attacks on igbos living in the north.

Now if we consider the Dimka coup of 1976 on the murtala administration you will find one striking characteristic in terms of the make up of the coup plotters who were mainly drawn from the Anges tribe from Platuea state and also from other middle belt Christian tribes.

So why was there no retaliatory pogroms by the Hausa Fulani on the Anges tribe and the Christian middle belt on the murder of Murtala by Dimka and his fellow conspirators?

Op forget that thing. Progrom in Nigeria did not start in 1966. It started far back in 1945 before Independence and in fact, they are still using" Progrom " to threaten nndigbo till today. It's more of a feeling of hate towards nndigbo and not the coup. They are just using the coup as an excuse. A useless excuse.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Real Reason Why Those Former PDP Senators Decamped Back To PDP / Boko Haram Releases Pictures Of Attack On Gudumbali Town In Borno. / 2019: We Won’t Stop Supporting Olawepo Hashim ― Middle Belt Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.