Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,766 members, 7,813,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming (13550 Views)

How Kebbi Revolutionised Rice Farming In Nigeria / Bill Gates Funds Nigerian Rice Production / Bill Gates Ear-marks $6m For Cassava And Rice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 12, 2016
So far, it looks like I want GM food and seeds in Nigeria. smiley cool Well, I am a man of the people; hence, I always listen. If I were in a position to influence the decision of accepting GM cassava and rice or not, I would exercise real patience. Here are what I would do:

1. I would accept the fact that Nigeria needs to buckle up and I would find means of eradicating hunger if we don't want foreigners to dictate for us.
2. I would accept the reality that deficiency of vitamin A must be addressed.
3. I would tell GM producers to hold on and then would hold emergency meetings with all organic and inorganic food stakeholders, so we could troubleshoot our inefficiencies.
4. I would draw out flow-chat of how to tackle the problem and would give out a deadline. The aim would be to provide food with good nutrients for the citizens in order to justify non acceptance of GM food.
5. After the end of the deadline, I would look into the progress made by organic and inorganic farmers. If we were able to produce food and had surplus, I would reject GM offer politely with assurance to continue working with them. However, if we weren't, I might recommend a pilot project for GM to provide for a fraction of the percentage conventional farming couldn't meet up to. For instance, if organic and inorganic could provide 70%, I would recommend a pilot program for GM to start with 5 percent, while we wait to see if organic and inorganic could improve, if not, GM could scale up its production gradually to fill-up the remaining precentage conventional farming could not.
6. I would make sure labeling is done so that citizens could choose what to eat.
7. I would roll out research program to look into long term effect of GM food by allowing volunteers (people who would volunteer to eat the GM food while we watched them) in the project with excellent compensation - health, cross pollination, environmental hazard etc would be looked into.
8. I know there is corruption everywhere; hence, I would not overlook it. I would consult the former minister of Agriculture, Mr. Akinwumi Adesina what challenges he faced in office and how he managed to curb corruption in the fertilizer subsidy program. Perhaps, I could get an idea how to tackle corruption in this area.
9. I would re-orientate Nigerians that we are cultured; we are religious set of people and we are lovers of life. Hence, we need to do everything possible to protect our belief and way of life for future generations.
10. Finally, I would put God first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gerrard59(m): 8:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
GodIsGood08:
So far, it looks like I want GM food and seeds in Nigeria. smiley cool Well, I am a man of the people; hence, I always listen. If I were in a position to influence the decision of accepting GM cassava and rice or not, I would exercise real patience. Here are what I would do:

1. What Nigeria needs to do is to encourage mechanized farming. Lets become the Brazil of Africa(they use GM seeds and eat GM foods). They wouldn't be where they're if not for GM seeds.
We need foreign investments in our agri sector, implying that we can do it alone is anti-capitalism. Even the mother of communism, China, bought Syngenta(Monsanto's biggest rival).

2: All vitamins and nutritional needs to be addressed. We are eating non-nutritional foods and benefitting nothing. Our foods don't give us vital nutrients needed for body development. Poverty to an extent is the cause. How many families in Nigeria can consistently afford yogurt(FarmPride and FarmFresh) for each meal? That's why most of kids don't develop their intellectual capacity quick enough unlike caucasian kids, howbeit, I agree there're other factors that constitute intelligence in children e.g genes. We also need to make our fruits all round and not seasonal, mango has gone and that's till next year oh. I.e, we wouldn't be able to gain the benefits of mango for 10-12 months. Organic is right undecided

3. Our population is growing and this is at an astronomical rate. We're projected to be the THIRD most populated nation on earth by 2050, 34 years from now. Organic farming cannot feed Nigeria(you said it yourself). The climate is changing and the north for instance has been facing desertification for aeons. Organic fishing and poultry farming cannot even provide for our population as of now, is it when we become 400 million that it will? shocked

4. Probably it will materialise by 2050, agriculture/farming is a business and government has no business in the business of business. The Nigerian government(successive and possibly future) has never handle a thing in an organised way and its policies are inconsistent; more like NEPA.

5. Provide food through organic means to feed a hungry and fast growing population?. Even the Gods wouldn't believe such stories.

6. This is wrong and against business ethics. You are indirectly pushing away the seeds coys you invited. Due to ignorance, most will definitely prefer organic over GM. This is notwithstanding the rigorous tests and safety efficacy procedures that GM coys are made to pass. This is like telling investors to build refineries and still subsidize petrol.

7. This is the rigorous test you want GM producers to go through, yet they should label the foods and let ignorant consumers discard their products? Additionally, there have been research into the potential effects(independent researches), so why the hullabaloo?

8. Buying of fertilizers should be a private thing. Why should the government buy your farm inputs for you? Must we subsidizes everything in Nigeria? That's a feeding bottle mentality. It's their farm and the farmers should buy fertilizers by themselves. If it's too expensive to import(we dey produce anything for Nigeria? ), that's a business opportunity for someone to invest in.........Oh I almost forgot Dangote is there, tomorrow he will be accused of monopoly.

9. And what has GM foods, crops and seeds got to do with religion? Did our "culture tell us to starve"? Yeah...we're religious yet very corrupt. Hello, this is business and in business no sentiments.

10. China, India, USA, Brazil and even Burkina Faso didn't "put" God first. Manna wouldn't fall this time, even if it will, that will be in Israel and not Nigeria.
[/quote]
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by An0nimus: 8:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
lol Godisgood08 you came back to reiterate my closing remark in my other post. We shouldn't just rush into GM because it looks good, defintely not when we've not explored other options.

Nice points above. I nominate you for the next Minister of Agriculture.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 13, 2016
An0nimus:
lol Godisgood08 you came back to reiterate my closing remark in my other post. We shouldn't just rush into GM because it looks good, defintely not when we've not explored other options.

Nice points above. I nominate you for the next Minister of Agriculture.

Good listening ears are what a good leader must have. That he feels his followers are naive and might be wrong doesn't mean he should force them or use his veto power to make them accept what he feels is right and just.

Nominate me for the post? grin
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 13, 2016
Gerrard59:

1. What Nigeria needs to do is to encourage mechanized farming...We need foreign investments in our agri sector...

Mechanized farming no doubt will go a long way in improving farming in Nigeria and foreign investors are needed. I agree.

Gerrard59:

2. All vitamins and nutritional needs to be addressed. We are eating non-nutritional foods and benefitting nothing...We also need to make our fruits all round and not seasonal, 2 months...

Yes, our diets are not balanced but making fruits and food available all through the year is more of issues to be tackled by the Ministry of Power; and not Agriculture/Rural Development. I mentioned that I would work with the ministry in my 10 points solution but I didn't elaborate. Yes, you are right again.

Gerrard59:

3. Our population is growing and this is at an astronomical rate...Organic fishing and poultry farming cannot even provide for our population as of now, is it when we become 400 million that it will? shocked.

Yes, deep inside me, I am tempted to say that it is not possible; however, I mentioned involving both organic and inorganic stakeholders and not just organic farmers. Fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides etc are allowed. Just GM seeds are not included. So, I think, it may be possible. Permit me to use a Bible Story:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel
Boys almost proved that the human race is capable of making the impossible to be possible. I have had life experiences which have made me realized when we are united, we are unified bulldozers. Let's not under estimate the power behind human unity - faster than speed of light with a powerful force that can pull down any mountain. Anyway, Babel Tower is a Bible Story which many claimed is true life story. wink

Gerrard59:

4. ...agriculture/farming is a business and government has no business in the business of business. The Nigerian government(successive and possibly future) has never handle a thing in an organised way and its policies are inconsistent; more like NEPA.

I agree, business is business. In my write up, I didn't write that government will get involved in doing business. I guess there is mixed up of some of my points.

Gerrard59:

5. Provide food through organic means to feed a hungry and fast growing population?. Even the Gods wouldn't believe such stories.

Organic might not do it but organic PLUS inorganic without GM might be able to get the job done. Futhermore, my recommendation was that we would measure the capacity of organic + inorganic after the deadline and allow GM fill the rest gradually. I only used 70 - 30 as an example. What if organic + inorganic can only provide for less than 15% after the deadline? Don't you think GM looks like having higher share of the market?

Gerrard59:

6. This is wrong and against business ethics. You are indirectly pushing away the seeds coys you invited. Due to ignorance, most will definitely prefer organic over GM. This is notwithstanding the rigorous tests and safety efficacy procedures that GM coys are made to pass. This is like telling investors to build refineries and still subsidize petrol.

Business Ethics. Hmmm! First, it's normal that people resist change. The earlier a leader realises this fact, the better for him and the easier he is going to get the job done. Change is the only factor that is constant. How a leader presents the change determines how successful he will be and how his followers will accept him and his change. I'm not talking about APC change which one Ekiti governor termed as 419 change and another senator felt we heard chain and not change. grin

I'm not chasing investors away. Maybe they might feel that way but they need to understand people must accept their product first and we shouldn't force their products on people. Forcing them on people might be morally wrong. So its Business Ethics Vs Moral Values. Balancing is necessary. I must say that if truly they are giving us Rice and Cassava with vitamin A because we cannot produce enough vitamin A, why can't they allow us proof that we can or cannot produce enough?

Gerrard59:

7. This is the rigorous test you want GM producers to go through, yet they should label the foods and let ignorant consumers discard their products? Additionally, there have been research into the potential effects(independent researches), so why the hullabaloo?

I believe everyone has the right to know the source of what he/she eats. That pork is good for health doesn't mean Moslims should be forced technically to eat it. Without meat labeling, it's difficult to different it from similar meat. Perhaps, the price GMO producers have to pay is initial discrimination and if truly their products is good, gradually people will accept them. Plant drafting passed through the process and came out shining at the end of the day. Why can't GMO pass thorugh the process too? Not labeling GM is deceiving and manipulating people to eating them and to me it's violation of their rights. I know we have different opinions about it. So, I guess the LAW has to decide if to label or not if GM producers decide to approach any court. I feel we should let the change and acceptance come from the heart of people voluntarily.

Gerrard59:

8. Buying of fertilizers should be a private thing. Why should the government buy your farm inputs for you? Must we subsidizes everything in Nigeria? ...

You are right again; however, my reference to this point was how the former minister managed to curb corruption in the fertilizer subsidy program. Perhaps, part of the tools he used was to reduce subsidy. Who knows? I didn't write about supporting or opposing fertilizer subsidy. I just wrote about curbing corruption.

Gerrard59:

9. And what has GM foods, crops and seeds got to do with religion? Did our "culture tell us to starve"? Yeah...we're religious yet very corrupt. Hello, this is business and in business no sentiments.

Hmmmm. You may be wrong here. I will cite an example for you. Food is culture. Okay, go tell a Yoruba, Ijebu man that the yellow cassava with vitamin A is good for making his fermented white "Ijebu" garri. The response you will get will make you realize you need wisdom to make the Ijebu man realize that using yellow garri is not promoting garri from SS and SE where yellow garri is preferred. Again, from my observation, sometimes we don't expect people to relate certain issues with religion but they do. I have learned to first assure Nigerians that religion and culture will be preserved with any proposed change.

Politics used to be parallel to religion but now religion affects politics directly even in the US. Check out Trump and Moslims. Am I wrong?

Gerrard59:

10. China, India, USA, Brazil and even Burkina Faso didn't "put" God first. Manna wouldn't fall this time, even if it will, that will be in...

You mentioned the USA but check out their currency you will read "In God we trust".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

Have you read the United States declaration of independence? Did you read about how Ben Carson, the surgeon who tried contesting for the post of the US president used the declaration of independence to justify his faith? That country called the United States of America usually one way or the other associate almost every formal activity to God.

Again, I am sure we are aware science can influence climate and weather. Also, super natural and mysterious powers do same. Have you noticed where there are celebrations during rainy season, people stopped rain for some weeks? Well, all these activities have side effects and generally it's recommended that it is better not to disturb climate or weather. It's is far better to allow nature dictates weather condition. So, what can you do other than pray for good weather? That's where the "God first" comes in. Asians don't joke with praying to God for blessings before farming. How do they pray? Through which medium do they pray to God? These are questions beyond the scope of our discussion.
---------------------------

In general, I see wisdom in your highlighted points sir but you moved beyond GM issues which I tried to avoid. It looks like we need to analyse general solutions to the problems we have in Agriculture. In my own opinion, a new thread might do more justice to the topic where a background story will be written, problems will be highlighted and suggestions to tackle the issues can be giving by contributors. What do you all think?

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gerrard59(m): 6:26am On Apr 13, 2016
GodIsGood08:

In general, I see wisdom in your highlighted points sir but you moved beyond GM issues which I tried to avoid. It looks like we need to analyse general solutions to the problems we have in Agriculture. In my own opinion, a new thread might do more justice to the topic where a background story will be written, problems will be highlighted and suggestions to tackle the issues can be giving by contributors. What do you all think?

Our problems in agriculture has been discussed and over-flogged. It's something I wouldn't want to delve into. We need to learn from countries like Brazil on how they succeeded to be among the big agric countries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Brazil . To an extent, I blame the GM coys for poor media visibility in Nigeria nay African countries.

I didn't move beyond GM foods, I only responded to your points. And yes I do agree that the government has some role...but it should ONLY be in the provision of infrastructure , one of which is constant light.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 13, 2016
Gerrard59:

I didn't move beyond GM foods, I only responded to your points. And yes I do agree that the government has some role...but it should ONLY be in the provision of infrastructure , one of which is constant light.

Truly, it is not possible to effectively talk about GM in Africa without talking about general Agricultural practice. Mechanized farming, Power issues, Prediction of population explosion, subsidy removal and government keeping off business (not only in Agriculture) are beyond GMO. However, I agree it's paramount to address them.

GM seeds penetrated easily to Africa because producers capitalized on our inability to provide food; hence, it is easy for Bill Gates to promote his vitamin A rice and cassava. So, does it mean if we buckle up and provide food for ourselves, will GM producers keep off? I doubt it as the US has almost enough or maybe slightly more than enough food but that is where it all started. GM producers to me want to force everyone to use their products, let's just be honest with one another. I am not saying their products are bad or excellent but they must be ready to face discrimination before acceptance.

Gerrard59:

Our problems in agriculture has been discussed and over-flogged. It's something I wouldn't want to delve into. We need to learn from countries like Brazil on how they succeeded to be among the big agric countries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Brazil . To an extent, I blame the GM coys for poor media visibility in Nigeria nay African countries.

Should I laugh in Chinese or Arabic? grin Over-flogged Agricultural problems in Nigeria? I doubt it. People don't even understand the problems not to talk about solving them. Please, go face a nairalander or farmer enjoying fertilizer subsidy (Former minister Adesina actually tried in this area by curbing corruption) that government is wrong and see his countenance. Then, tell government to remove fertilizer subsidy and I am sure you will see the result in a week. So, all I hear are grumbling and not investigations. Government gave out subsidy and it created cabals; government removed it and there was scarcity. Hmmmmm! Has anyone come out to address balancing the situation? Has anyone addressed the process? All I hear is "government do this, government do that". Government is now sick and confused because no solution is coming.

Again, we want mechanized farming yet we don't want government in the business of providing agricultural input like fertilizer, pesticides and manure. Is provision of Agricultural equipment not included in provision of farming input? How many farmers can afford small scale mechanized farming not to talk about commercial scale equipment? So, who is to make the equipment available? Poor farmers? I can't shout, I can't jump, I can't smile bro. So, we want government out of the business but we want farming equipment. How? Is anyone addressing how to balance this situation?

We want government to stop doing business yet, one government in the east is investing in Agriculture gradually (mainly executed by his administration without involving private sectors) and people are hailing him. Let's ask ourselves, is he really doing it wrongly by making his adminstration fully involved in making profit? When he leaves power, what is the plan for continuity? And if he decides not to fully get involved in Agribusiness, are the available private sector participants able to do the job very well? Ok, he decides to select able private sectors, we will be the first to shout he is breeding oligarchy. Nigeria's problem is thick. I can imagine what the former minister of power and Sunday Oliseh passed through before shifting blames on witches and wizards. I can't shout! grin

I have read about land issues and troubles on this forum BUT have you ever read any comment from anyone telling you government needs to get land off land owners' control? Instead, we read solutions like: farmers need to know where to lease land, farmers should use government lands to avoid problems (we want goverment to keep off Agribusiness yet we want to lease land from the same government), farmers should avoid omonile (land owners) etc. So, are all these over flogging the issues? The point is we don't understand our problems not to talk about solving them because wrong people diagnose problems in Nigeria.

Fulani herdsmen calamity has been there for so long. Can you imagine how this government is still addressing it? At this age, some group of people still move around cattle even on our highways? Sorry, government is not only confused but running out of his mind because it's becoming clearer government is clueless.

Government must know what business is and its scope. Again, it is important to show government how to regulate and apply laws made by lawmakers/legislatures. So, government must even know the kind of laws to recommend to law makers. How many people discuss LAW in line with Agriculture in Nigeria when over 99% are ignorant about it. So, how come you conclude Agricultural problems and solutions have been overflogged? Now, you agree with me that the real foundation of our problem is poor education. Studying in higher institute does not guarantee having good education. Like our common sense senator has been saying: "Common sense is uncommon". Please, don't let me address education in Nigeria. I don't want to because it is so embarrassing, yet, we read deceit from stakeholders.

Gerrard59:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Brazil

Thank you so much for sharing this link. Quite informative. Nigeria, Brazil and Malaysia were among the countries western worlds and World organisations think would improve very well some years back because of the Agricultural developement decisions and actions the countries took. Chief Obafemi Awolowo led that of Nigeria. Infact, I have been investigating his works and if Nigeria had followed them, we would have become great. Well, Malaysia and Brazil (they still have their challenges too) are doing fine but Nigeria is another story.

Mind you, Malaysia uses less GM products (though, I need to confirm it and back this claim with evidence which I don't have now) and by the time you and I investigate Brazil, we will find out that it's not GMO that is the main determinant factor of their improvement. The link you gave listed: doing Agribusiness rightly; addressing land issue and laws surrounding it; making organic farmers and small/medium scales producers have their share of the market; etc are the main reasons they are improving. Infact, the article stated that Brasil made a law to label any food or item that contains more than 1% gene modification. Bro, I can't laugh, I can't shout and I can't just jump. grin grin It's telling us that perhaps if Brazil had rejected GMO, the citizens might still be alright. Dont you think so too?

Again, I am saying it that I won't discuss further Agriculture in Nigeria on this thread but prefer to limit my contribution to GMO.

Sir, from the way you have contributed to this topic, I am able to say you understand many of the problems we have in Nigeria. And if you sit in a panel established to find solutions to all these man made troubles, you will do real justice.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Gerrard59(m): 5:55pm On Apr 13, 2016
GodIsGood08:

Nigeria really has a longggg way to go, if we are going to get to the stage that Brazil is. Nigerian governments(state and federal) don't have any concrete plan to move the sector forward. Why should a government that should concentrate its mandate of the people on building factories and planting rice? How many Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese governments have built rice, corn or dairy farms?

I support GM foods because they are needed and our farmers need this to be to compete on the world stage, besides we as Nigerians need the nutritional benefits that it comes with.

The BOI and co-operative societies can come together and lend farmers money at low interest and the ROLE(S) government has to play is removing waivers and lowering the import duty tax or abolishing it all together on agricultural equipment? Fertilizer is about to get a boost when Dangote's plant in Edo comes alive, on the hand, other private investors can begin to cite theirs too.

"The country is the third largest user in the world in growing genetically modified crops. The main commodities using this biotechnology are soy, cotton and, since 2008, maize."

Don't tell me you didn't see this one? Brazilians are educated and I'm such they wouldn't be against GM foods for irrational reasons. Additionally, organic farming didn't take them to where they're now. Evident by:

"The IBGE's 2006 Agricultural Census reported the existence of ninety thousand organic farms in Brazil, comprising 2% of the total; however, only 5,106 are certified.
Organics are present mostly in small and medium properties. The majority of producers are organized in associations or cooperatives"

For the records, I'm not against organic farming; I'm against the notion that organic farming will ameliorate our agricultural problem.

Me no be sir oh, just a lad( I'm in my 300 level) trying to contribute his quota towards national development and changing the fvcked up mentality of my fellow citizens.

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by realwizzy97: 11:36pm On Apr 15, 2016
Dekoraj Farms-
Deluxe (electrogalvanized) automatic battery cages for

120birds-60,000naira(7-10years),

96birds-50,000naira(7-10years)

120birds-80,000naira with complete accessories(7-10years)

96birds-70,000naira with complete accessories
(7-10years lifespan),

premium(hot dip galvanized)_120 birds-110,000 naira(20-25years)

96birds-110,000(20_25years)

standard salient features

automatic nipple drinker with cups(reducing water droppings) micro water filter making water safe for drinking,0.5 micron,galvanized dexin angel stand,good tiers spacing to avoid droppings on each other,excellent foot rest for birds,reduced egg crackings to the barest minimum ,standard and portable cages feature ,our cages are built with international quality standards,buying standard cages from us wl give automatic insurance for cages,we will maintain your cages for you making sure they are still intact for years,we will help u maximize ur farm space and get good and well ventilated caging structure and easy access.if you buy more than 20cages you wl get 1semi automatic feeder with egg collector.
(We also do repairs for cages and sell fairly used one's depending on customers choice)

The more the cages you buy the more the discount u get

Get commission on clients that comes through you
Prices are negotiable

Office Address-3 Awobona street,Iju-Ishaga,Lagos State.

07060920379,08073852579, e-mail-dekorajfarms@gmail.com

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by chinawapz(m): 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2016
This is how to start commercial maize farming. http://agrobalm.com/start-commercial-maize-plantation-business/
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by OHIsIManuEL(m): 9:59am On Apr 18, 2016
africa, dumping ground
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Obukky: 7:42am On Apr 26, 2016
Good day my people, I'm Ayodeji Bukola by name..I'm in need of buyers both local n foreign for my products....I have kolanut, bitterkola, cashew nut, ginger and honey....u can contact me via jrichard201@yahoo.com or 08060762472
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Georgechris(m): 10:58am On Apr 26, 2016
George Christopher Fisheries : Contact us for construction of Ur Quality Tarpaulin fish ponds, fingerlings & mature cat fishes 07030815857. 07015997532
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 3:39pm On Apr 27, 2016
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Basifrank: 2:02pm On May 08, 2016
With global climatic conditions as well as deteriorating farming environment and high rate of malnutrition, truly GMO/Plant breeding has come to stay. There is no proof to ascertain whether these crops cause/don't cause health and environmental hazards. Till date WHO,FAO,NAFDAC et al have not come out to restrict or ban the cultivation and consumption of these crops. These crops too do well in organic fertilized farmlands. My point is while we are scared of the issues of GMO innovation, we should be open minded and have our facts right.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:48pm On May 08, 2016
Basifrank:
With global climatic conditions as well as deteriorating farming environment and high rate of malnutrition, truly GMO/Plant breeding has come to stay. There is no proof to ascertain whether these crops cause/don't cause health and environmental hazards. Till date WHO,FAO,NAFDAC et al have not come out to restrict or ban the cultivation and consumption of these crops. These crops too do well in organic fertilized farmlands. My point is while we are scared of the issues of GMO innovation, we should be open minded and have our facts right.
Most time it is not all about the health of the population that these organisations are concern about. it's politics. Control politicians and u can use them as puppets. Why haven't they ban cigarette? It's BC the tobacco company is powerful. politicians are shareholders.
Those claiming that GMO is safe, answer this simple questn for me. why did research showed that GMO corn caused cancer in rats? Some GMO companies are quit powerful, so I won't be surprise if GMO have come to stay. But for those who care about their health, try as much as possible to avoid GMO foods. But if u support them, eat on, time shall tell.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 09, 2016
FarmTech:

Those claiming that GMO is safe, answer this simple questn for me. why did research showed that GMO corn caused cancer in rats? Some GMO companies are quit powerful, so I won't be surprise if GMO have come to stay. But for those who care about their health, try as much as possible to avoid GMO foods. But if u support them, eat on, time shall tell.

Did the research really prove GMO is 100% the cause of cancer in rat? I'm not sure you have shared the link but if you already did, please pardon me. But could you kindly share the link again?

My brother, I'm well grounded in organic agricultural related issues. I'm sure you already know I prefer organically grown food to GMO; however, there are issues to address.

Organic fruits grown with mineral from sea water and rocks are damn sweet. You can't beat the taste. Brix level of fruits can be raised organically....mehn! One can get into another level of happiness and joy when you eat good, fresh, sweet fruits.

Having said that, there are issues to tackle. Ok. Can you give me strategic analysis of how you can feed just Lagosians (approx 16 million people) organically? Let's discuss. I want to really learn from you.

Waiting for your reply. Please, take your time and come up with a nice strategic plan. Anyone who is interested in contributing can join. This thread may be the KEY to solving hunger in Africa.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 11:26pm On May 09, 2016
GodIsGood08:

Did the research really prove GMO is 100% the cause of cancer in rat? I'm not sure you have shared the link but if you already did, please pardon me. But could you kindly share the link again?

My brother, I'm well grounded in organic agricultural related issues. I'm sure you already know I prefer organically grown food to GMO; however, there are issues to address.

Organic fruits grown with mineral from sea water and rocks are damn sweet. You can't beat the taste. Brix level of fruits can be raised organically....mehn! One can get into another level of happiness and joy when you eat good, fresh, sweet fruits.

Having said that, there are issues to tackle. Ok. Can you give me strategic analysis of how you can feed just Lagosians (approx 16 million people) organically? Let's discuss. I want to really learn from you.

Waiting for your reply. Please, take your time and come up with a nice strategic plan. Anyone who is interested in contributing can join. This thread may be the KEY to solving hunger in Africa.

I'm not an organic farming fanatics. what I'm against is GMO. as for the link, I'll find it when i' m less bizy. we don't need GMO to feed the world.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 5:28am On May 10, 2016
FarmTech:

I'm not an organic farming fanatics. what I'm against is GMO. as for the link, I'll find it when i' m less bizy. we don't need GMO to feed the world.

I am a bit confused. You aren't an organic farming fanatic yet you are against inorganic farming in your words BUT you can't provide solution to using organic food to feed just Lagos State out of the entire world population. And you wrote above we dont need GMO to feed the world. What if I ask you to use organic farming to feed China? shocked

I have shown many links that 90% critics are noises from organic farmers who are losers( not still saying GMO is better). I have even mentioned how organic farming itself is dangerous with Ecoli, Staph etc BUT some said the issue can be dealt with using water to wash fruits. Indeed! Go ask a staph or Ecoli patient what the guy is passing through. HIV isn't painful like Staph infection, yet we all think HIV is deadlier (HIV not AIDS). I shake my head.

If you really want to stop GMO (nothing is impossible) then give solutions to using organic food to feed just Lagosians. No solution, no direction yet you are telling people organic is the way forward, and promoting "saying No to GMO". If you don't want GMO, just highlight the way to do without it and not just shout No to GMO.

My apology here. I am not attacking you sir but just a general believe I have. Hypocrisy is telling people what to do but not saying HOW to do it.

I am not saying GMO is the best but it seems it has found its place in the system of feeding human since organic farmers have failed to feed everyone. Can you honestly tell us again that Organic can feed us all? I expect you to say yes, and if yes, start writing about it. This is what I wanna read. If you can't say yes and I know its likely you won't say No, I suggest you hold your peace.

However, if you say YES and you come up with strategic plans that are logical, I am joining you. I will not only shout on nairaland but i will join organic farmers, move down to Abuja, carry placards in front of the National Assembly and shout at the top of our voices: "No to GMO". But if you refuse or you can't show us the way forward with organic, I won't type any comment here again. The wise ones reading this thread have taking position in this debate.

Silent mode about to be activated.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 10:41pm On May 10, 2016
GodIsGood08:

I am a bit confused. You aren't an organic farming fanatic yet you are against inorganic farming in your words BUT you can't provide solution to using organic food to feed just Lagos State out of the entire world population. And you wrote above we dont need GMO to feed the world. What if I ask you to use organic farming to feed China? shocked

I have shown many links that 90% critics are noises from organic farmers who are losers( not still saying GMO is better). I have even mentioned how organic farming itself is dangerous with Ecoli, Staph etc BUT some said the issue can be dealt with using water to wash fruits. Indeed! Go ask a staph or Ecoli patient what the guy is passing through. HIV isn't painful like Staph infection, yet we all think HIV is deadlier (HIV not AIDS). I shake my head.

If you really want to stop GMO (nothing is impossible) then give solutions to using organic food to feed just Lagosians. No solution, no direction yet you are telling people organic is the way forward, and promoting "saying No to GMO". If you don't want GMO, just highlight the way to do without it and not just shout No to GMO.

My apology here. I am not attacking you sir but just a general believe I have. Hypocrisy is telling people what to do but not saying HOW to do it.

I am not saying GMO is the best but it seems it has found its place in the system of feeding human since organic farmers have failed to feed everyone. Can you honestly tell us again that Organic can feed us all? I expect you to say yes, and if yes, start writing about it. This is what I wanna read. If you can't say yes and I know its likely you won't say No, I suggest you hold your peace.

However, if you say YES and you come up with strategic plans that are logical, I am joining you. I will not only shout on nairaland but i will join organic farmers, move down to Abuja, carry placards in front of the National Assembly and shout at the top of our voices: "No to GMO". But if you refuse or you can't show us the way forward with organic, I won't type any comment here again. The wise ones reading this thread have taking position in this debate.

Seems like u can't differentiate b/w gmo and organic farming.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 12:00am On May 11, 2016
FarmTech:

Seems like u can't differentiate b/w gmo and organic farming.

Seems like you have absolutely nothing much to say other than just shout "No to GMO".
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by uctrip: 8:36pm On May 11, 2016
Today Agriculture is facing a Major Challenge in the Form of Shortage of Farm Labor and it is becoming a major cost component of Agriculture.

The best solution is to go for [url=]the latest Farm Tools and Machineries technologies available in the market for improving the productivity and income of the farmers. This section gives details of Various Farm Tools and the supplier details.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Kaldakinn: 12:40am On May 12, 2016
Alrice
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:49pm On May 14, 2016
A very interesting writeup that tells u hw far big companies can go to keep on killing people - so far as they make their money:
https://www.nairaland.com/3102326/worlds-history-some-ignored-warnings/1#45576486
Explorers:
10. Tobacco and Cancer link.

Back in 1930, the German researchers had found a link between tobacco and cancer and by late 1940’s it was conclusive. However, to reject such findings and links, the Big Tobacco Company funded a phony scientific council who were to counter such claims against Tobacco. This group rejected the range of health problems in 1989 put forward to them bya Surgeon General. Even though, people are well aware, how Tobacco is harmful for them, yet Imperial Tobacco still continues to claim that smoking and cancer has no link. Over a 100 million people have died from cancer due to the consumption of tobacco in the 20th century.

http://onceuponafact.com/8-deadly-warnings-the-world-ignored/

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 8:23am On May 15, 2016
GodIsGood08:

GMO has never been demonstrated to increase yield. It also concentrates the ability to grow food in the hands of a few corporations who would control the seed supply based on political considerations. It has also not been demonstrated to be safe. Though there are no direct connections for now, diseases like 'Morgellons' are probably due to GMOs. There are no needed strategies beyond sustainable agricultural models and a motive and will to implement them without corruption. Is the land used for Agriculture in Nigeria today maximised? Are the relevant skills and aid given to farmers? Have we exhausted every potential in organic farming before we say that it is impossible to feed the world with organic farming, and that grafting cockroach genes and heavy reliance on toxic chemicals are the only way forward in Agriculture?
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 15, 2016
Farmerforlife:

GMO has never been demonstrated to increase yield. It also concentrates the ability to grow food in the hands of a few corporations who would control the seed supply based on political considerations. It has also not been demonstrated to be safe. Though there are no direct connections for now, diseases like 'Morgellons' are probably due to GMOs. There are no needed strategies beyond sustainable agricultural models and a motive and will to implement them without corruption. Is the land used for Agriculture in Nigeria today maximised? Are the relevant skills and aid given to farmers? Have we exhausted every potential in organic farming before we say that it is impossible to feed the world with organic farming, and that grafting cockroach genes and heavy reliance on toxic chemicals are the only way forward in Agriculture?

I need to state again that I am a neutral person in Organic Vs GMO debate. I look for facts and evidences before I decide which direction to take.

My comments:

1. GMO has never been demonstrated to increase yield.
This is your opinion without any proof to back it up. So, should we accept it? No. It's remains a myth until you can prove your point. But I will help you.
CLUE: The degree of disease resistance of a variety/specie/strain is directly related to increase in yield.

2. It also concentrates the ability to grow food in the hands of a few corporations who would control the seed supply based on political considerations.
Every businessman wants to find a niche in the market and monopolize it. You can monopolize legally and ethically to your advantage, which I support but monopolizing using politics (e.g. your god-father has influence over the presidency) is a NO. Having stated that, market itself naturally check monopoly. How? It's about competition. In the debate of Organic Vs GMO, as long as Organic players and hybrid seeds remain dormant, those few companies will monopolize market. It's as simple as ABC. So, I advise losers (not referring to you sir but to organic farmers), to return to drawing board and give a better fight instead of relying on government to use its power to force new entrants back down.

3. It has also not been demonstrated to be safe.
You need to support your claim here too.

4. Though there are no direct connections for now, diseases like 'Morgellons' are probably due to GMOs.
It is possible but not yet proved. We are in 2016 and not in the 1930s; hence, research is going on. We just have to follow the issue diligently, maturely and professionally.

5. There are no needed strategies beyond sustainable agricultural models and a motive and will to implement them without corruption.
If you say there are no needed strategies beyond sustainable agricultural models; most likely, those are models already implemented by developed countries. Someone has shared a link above you can check out sir, most countries have less than 10% of their total food production via organic methods with all efforts. Inorganic plus GMO always over 85%. However, I have been looking at countries that embrace organic farming and Thailand is one. Models there are those with spacious compounds in their homes (subsistence backyard farming). Personally, I think "way of life" has great influence on food chain value. We abandoned the spacious compound with garden housing scheme we have in Ikoyi, Lagos (similar to lifestyle in Thailand) and accepted "hip hop", "junked together", "high-rise", "no free air flow" housing scheme. What do you expect? You are gonna feed like the New Yorkers with such housing scheme.

6. Is the land used for Agriculture in Nigeria today maximised?
If you live in the north, you will agree with me that the guys are not doing bad considering the challenges we face in Africa. But is it the fault of your president that SS and SE part of Nigeria decide to make land in the forest almost same price as the price of Asokoro, Abuja? And are you going to blame the vice president that land owners after selling land to farmers return to re-claim their land in SW? Land owners used to be farmers and after their death, their children heard about paradise in Lagos and Abuja, then abandoned farming. The old ones still there have turned themselves to small gods with ability to use "juju" to do anything; to sell out, claim and reclaim land.

7. Are the relevant skills and aid given to farmers?
To whom much is given, much more is expected. With the program ex governor Fashola had in Lagos and with the fund pumped into it, things should have changed; however, those guys in the ministry keep embezzling the fund. And farmers too are unserious. So, do we expect government to keep wasting fund on unserious farmers? The day responsible, deligent, hardworking people are put in the right positions in this country, that is the day, we will start moving forward. Until then, let's keep enjoying the reward of our works.

8. Have we exhausted every potential in organic farming before we say that it is impossible to feed the world with organic farming, and that grafting cockroach genes and heavy reliance on toxic chemicals are the only way forward in Agriculture?
No comment.

...that grafting cockroach genes and heavy reliance on toxic chemicals are the only way forward in Agriculture?
So, you are getting my drift. When we say GMO, it's about gene modification. What kind of gene? What kind of external gene is imported? Every seed has different gene. Some are good, some better, while some are bad, and some can be disastrous. So, do you still think it's outright "No to GMO" should be our motto? Or we sit down and play the game with them? Should we not think of regulating what gene should be used? Should we not be Working towards knowing the quantity that is not disastrous? For Christ's sake, this is 2016, we gat internet, database, information, social media etc. We are not in 1930, where one tobacco lord can just use "abrakatabra" to do us "wa yo".
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 16, 2016
GodIsGood08:

I need to state again that I am a neutral person in Organic Vs GMO debate. I look for facts and evidences before I decide which direction to take.

My comments:

1. This is your opinion without any proof to back it up. So, should we accept it? No. It's remains a myth until you can prove your point. But I will help you.
CLUE: The degree of disease resistance of a variety/specie/strain is directly related to increase in yield.

On the contrary. The onus is on you to prove that yields have been demonstrated to have increased, and/or that there are benefits to be had by the farmer in using GMOs, not just to Monsanto and its likes. I think that the rampant suicides by GMO farmers in India, and the extent to which Monsanto is being sued by GMO farmers in developped countries points to a clue that they are not exactly satisfied with their association with GMO crops. Also, the degree of disease resistance is not the only, or even the main factor in determining yield. Disease resistance can also be encouraged through breeding resistant varieties, and not necessarily by modifying their genes.

GodIsGood08:

2.Every businessman wants to find a niche in the market and monopolize it. You can monopolize legally and ethically to your advantage, which I support but monopolizing using politics (e.g. your god-father has influence over the presidency) is a NO. Having stated that, market itself naturally check monopoly. How? It's about competition. In the debate of Organic Vs GMO, as long as Organic players and hybrid seeds remain dormant, those few companies will monopolize market. It's as simple as ABC. So, I advise losers (not referring to you sir but to organic farmers), to return to drawing board and give a better fight instead of relying on government to use its power to force new entrants back down.

There are areas of national security that it is extreme foolishness to allow to fall into the hands of foreign monopolies... and one such is food security. There are such things as gene patents being registered right now, and I am sure that you know that it will be self-deceit to console ourselves that, in the forseeable future, African and Asian countries will be so technologically advanced as to catch up with and take over, the production of GMO seeds for home cultivation. So currently, the best strategy in my opinion, would be to search for homegrown solutions for our Agrarian problems, rather than go abegging our white 'gods' for free experimental and potentially dangerous handouts that future generations are going to pay through the nose for, just for the privilege of eating.

GodIsGood08:

3.You need to support your claim here too.

'It has not been demonstrated to be safe' is clearly not the same as 'it is not safe'. In any reasonable scientifically inclined environment, any product, meant for use as a drug or for nutrition must undergo rigorous testing with regards to its safety before use by humans. Sadly, GMO safety standards have been compromised for reasons of economic greed. In fact, there have been tests in Russia and France that claim that GMO foods have increased tumour rates in rats. I am not citing this as evidence, but using it to point out that the safety tests are currently inconclusive. Furthermore, GMOs, once introduced, are extremely difficult to take back, so we should be much more detailed in conducting safety tests, rather than concentrate on the profit factor of a greedy group of corporations and their 'philantropic' shareholder.

GodIsGood08:

4. It is possible but not yet proved. We are in 2016 and not in the 1930s; hence, research is going on. We just have to follow the issue diligently, maturely and professionally.

My point exactly. Since research is 'going on', it should have been completed BEFORE selling the product, not while we are eating it. There is a reason why GMOs are banned by countries whose governments care more about their citizens' health than the brown envelopes they stand to make from GMO corporations seeking to meet their bottom lines by opening up new GMO market victims.

GodIsGood08:

5. If you say there are no needed strategies beyond sustainable agricultural models; most likely, those are models already implemented by developed countries. Someone has shared a link above you can check out sir, most countries have less than 10% of their total food production via organic methods with all efforts. Inorganic plus GMO always over 85%. However, I have been looking at countries that embrace organic farming and Thailand is one. Models there are those with spacious compounds in their homes (subsistence backyard farming). Personally, I think "way of life" has great influence on food chain value. We abandoned the spacious compound with garden housing scheme we have in Ikoyi, Lagos (similar to lifestyle in Thailand) and accepted "hip hop", "junked together", "high-rise", "no free air flow" housing scheme. What do you expect? You are gonna feed like the New Yorkers with such housing scheme.

I am not against the development of Agriculture using modern techniques of farming. My grouse is with the imposition of GMOs on those who do not want it. If organic methods are not sustainable, modern scientific methods such as selection, fertilizer use, irrigation techniques, hydroponics and the likes can be explored and used... as long as our genes are not tampered with in little understood ways.

GodIsGood08:

6.If you live in the north, you will agree with me that the guys are not doing bad considering the challenges we face in Africa. But is it the fault of your president that SS and SE part of Nigeria decide to make land in the forest almost same price as the price of Asokoro, Abuja? And are you going to blame the vice president that land owners after selling land to farmers return to re-claim their land in SW? Land owners used to be farmers and after their death, their children heard about paradise in Lagos and Abuja, then abandoned farming. The old ones still there have turned themselves to small gods with ability to use "juju" to do anything; to sell out, claim and reclaim land.

You may also agree with me that 'not doing bad' is a far cry from 'actually maximising'. From my observation, if the government were to sit up and support/ encourage modern farming techniques, followed by real improvement in the processing and transportation of foodstuff, Nigerian Agriculture could easily feed West Africa. I am not sure how aware you are of the crop wastage currently plaguing the farmers. I also want to point out that the majority of farmers in the North who you claim are not doing too badly, are using traditional methods. Imagine what they could do with government help and modern techniques.

GodIsGood08:

7. To whom much is given, much more is expected. With the program ex governor Fashola had in Lagos and with the fund pumped into it, things should have changed; however, those guys in the ministry keep embezzling the fund. And farmers too are unserious. So, do we expect government to keep wasting fund on unserious farmers? The day responsible, deligent, hardworking people are put in the right positions in this country, that is the day, we will start moving forward. Until then, let's keep enjoying the reward of our works.

Then perhaps the solution lies in ridding at least the ministry of Agriculture of corrupt ministers and making serious farmers? Rather than inviting the aforementioned 'white gods' to hold us in bondage with their factory seeds.

GodIsGood08:

8.No comment.

Thank you for that at least. If nothing else, we should explore all angles of natural food production before we resort to untested methods like GMO.

GodIsGood08:

So, you are getting my drift. When we say GMO, it's about gene modification. What kind of gene? What kind of external gene is imported? Every seed has different gene. Some are good, some better, while some are bad, and some can be disastrous. So, do you still think it's outright "No to GMO" should be our motto? Or we sit down and play the game with them? Should we not think of regulating what gene should be used? Should we not be Working towards knowing the quantity that is not disastrous? For Christ's sake, this is 2016, we gat internet, database, information, social media etc. We are not in 1930, where one tobacco lord can just use "abrakatabra" to do us "wa yo".

Genes are not good, bad or better. Genes are the building blocks of life as we know it. What we eat is what is used to make us what we are. GMO corporations are even dabbling into the introduction of artificial lab-structured genes. Do you really want that in your body? GMO companies have not been proven to be above board and great possessors of integrity. If you believe browsing on facebook is the way to expose such large brother corporations, then I can only smile at your naivete. These hustlers BUY scientists to post favorable studies in exchange for research grants. They OWN media and social sites, and the only ones that can keep us safe from them is a government with integrity and know-how (hint, not Nigeria). Let me ask you, if the Nigerian government released a study showing that GMOs are 100% safe, would you trust that the study was properly and objectively researched? If not, then keep GMOs out.
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 16, 2016
Farmerforlife:

On the contrary. The onus is on you to prove that yields have been demonstrated to have increased

Though, you brought up the yield issue which prompted me to ask you prove it. Anyway, I will spell out the logical flowchart for you:

Does Disease reduce yield? If No, its the End. If yes, there is need to provide a seed that can resist the particular disease to give normal yield. Move to step 2: Can GMO seed be modified and manipulated to resist different diseases? If No, its the End. If yes, there is need to use GMO to resist the disease. Move to step 3: Can genes from another variety which produce high yield be introduced to the particular variety we are working with in Step 2 to improve yield? If No, its the End. If yes, keep trying different genes till you get it right. Step 4: End.

So, I leave you to figure it out if GMO can increase yield or not.

Farmerforlife:

There are areas of national security that it is extreme foolishness to allow to fall into the hands of foreign monopolies... and one such is food security.

Does hunger know national security? If there is continuous scarcity of tomato, do you think Nigerians will understand the military language of security if someone propose alternative to solving tomato problem? That security you are trying to achieve will be lost if we don't understand the game. We must know the game to play it very well. The "foolishness" you talk about reaches its maximum level when we refuse to understand the content of proposals. And how do we understand the game better? By kicking them away without even looking into the details? I doubt it.

You also talked about not doing experiments that our future generations will pay negatively for. Then, we should have rejected mobile phone and x-ray tech because they can give cancer if used wrongly. If you want right now, I will dish you facts how waves and rays can cause cancer. And I will provide links. Without taking such risk, can you and I even have this type of conversation online? My brother, future generations will curse this generation for being stupid and not being proactive. Your recommendation to me is that of a coward. The right approach is to get in the game with an objective which is to disprove or accept proposals. When the people bringing proposals realize we are capable and not stupid, they will not bring junks on our table. How do we know which are good and which are bad without doing experiments? If we reject which are good, we become more under-developed. Our children will curse the heck out of us as a foolish generation.

Farmerforlife:

There are such things as gene patents being registered right now
And if I may ask, what is the issue here? If you make a discovery, won't you want it to be credited to you? Won't you want to make money out of it?

Farmerforlife:

Sadly, GMO safety standards have been compromised for reasons of economic greed.
Whose standard are you talking about here? Your standard? If not yours, kindly highlight the details of the standard you made reference to, give a link to the rules guiding the standard, and let us be the judge if there is compromise or not. Its not proper you just tell us about a standard which we have no knowledge of. And saying the standard was compromised is a bit confusing. An "abrakatabra" standard?

Farmerforlife:

In fact, there have been tests in Russia and France that claim that GMO foods have increased tumour rates in rats. I am not citing this as evidence, but using it to point out that the safety tests are currently inconclusive.

My point exactly. Since research is 'going on', it should have been completed BEFORE selling the product, not while we are eating it. There is a reason why GMOs are banned by countries whose governments care more about their citizens' health than the brown envelopes they stand to make from GMO corporations seeking to meet their bottom lines by opening up new GMO market victims.
Everyone keeps talking about rat, rat, rat. Please, could you share the link and let's read it. Is it an invisible rat somewhere? By the way, if a rat is exposed to x-ray, won't it get tumor. A particular research can show a potential danger which is a step to sucess. The next guy picks it up and shows you preventive measures. Another guy comes around and refute some of the previous claims. And this is how research goes on and on. No end to research. If you want a perfect concluded research; then, mobile tech should not have been approved as a save technology when it was.

Perhaps, the rat experiment you all refer to was addressed here:
https://www.nairaland.com/3012292/say-no-bill-gates-cassava/1#44406697

Why can't we look at the reasons the panel ruled it out? Yes, it's possible that the panel might be bribed. It's possible the panel might over look some things. But my point is, why dont you pick up the panel's report, talk about it? Find loop holes and use them to prove your point and not just tell us some rats got injured in an experiment in France because of GMO.

You said GMO will be difficult to take away if we receive it. Hmmmm! Mark my words, every good thing stays AND every bad thing eventually fades away. If mobile technology is bad, it would have been long forgotten. You want to try the "wicked power" in high voltage? Oh! Since high voltage kills, then, we should have rejected elecricity. So, are high voltages, mobile tech, x-Ray perfectly safe for us to use? We will need a heaven on earth to have a perfect, safe environment dream fulfilled sir. Please, let's tell Mr. President to send packing Texaco, Shell, Mobile because we all know that eventually, oil mining will have some adverse effect on our eco-sysyem.

Research will continue as long as this world exists. You can only get a reasonable conclusion and not a perfect one. Read my comment above again sir. There are reasons GMO are banned in many countries. Yes! Just like how it is possible some people are using it to gain financial benefits, also, it is possible some people (eg those monopolizing hybrid seeds) are only protecting their business by telling you that GMO is bad. If these set of losers had got into the GMO business first, they might have acted more aggressively than Syngenta and Monsanto. And why is it that some countries that initially banned some GMO products are accepting them now? Brazil is one. Use one of the links up and you will find the figure of acceptance.

Farmerforlife:

If organic methods are not sustainable, modern scientific methods such as selection, fertilizer use, irrigation techniques, hydroponics and the likes can be explored and used... as long as our genes are not tampered with in little understood ways.
Fertilizer was rejected by our fathers, in fact, on this nairaland, I still read where people write that fertilizer is bad for health and should be rejected. And really, the truth is fertilizer destroys soil eco-system. It kills most soil microbes and organisms. So, let's just kick it out! Again, hydroponic is 100% inorganic and the players in this area are the GMO guys. Aquaponics is the only organic option and it hasn't been properly commercialized like hydroponics. Insecticides and fungicides are mostly produced by these GMo guys. So, lets kick out fungicides, insecticides, fertilizers etc. Right?

Farmerforlife:

...'not doing bad' is a far cry from 'actually maximising'. From my observation, if the government were to sit up and support/ encourage modern farming techniques, followed by real improvement in the processing and transportation of foodstuff, Nigerian Agriculture could easily feed West Africa. I am not sure how aware you are of the crop wastage currently plaguing the farmers. I also want to point out that the majority of farmers in the North who you claim are not doing too badly, are using traditional methods. Imagine what they could do with government help and modern techniques.

Not doing bad is better than not doing at all. But you forgot to add the last part of my sentence: "considering the challenges we face in Africa". The latter part of the sentence means a lot. Also, the "not doing bad" approach is what has been providing the tomatoes we have been eating. Actually, I agree with your point that government should support agriculture. But what kind of support? Farmers want subsidy, free loan, free equipment they can use anyhow and not held accountable for because they didn't pay for it, etc. So, I am saying No to government getting involved in business. Government business is to implement good policies. That's all. How has oil subsidy helped us? Did fertilizer subsidy help us? Farmers didn't get the so called free fertilizers during those days but when government" hands up" from doing fertilizer business for farmers and allow private companies in it, we started getting NPK, liquid fertilizer, organic fertilizer without headaches at reasonable prices. Government should stop purchasing tractors and other machineries for farmers. It's ridiculous! It's dumb! It's wasteful!

Farmerforlife:

Genes are not good, bad or better. Genes are the building blocks of life as we know it. What we eat is what is used to make us what we are.

I'm not going to put a link here but I will just use this example quickly. What do you call sickle cell disease? Excellent gene? Hmmm! I'm sure you can argue this point to any length but then, it is going to be towards using technical terms accurately. However, I think you should be able to understand what I mean by good, bad, worse etc genes.

Farmerforlife:
GMO corporations are even dabbling into the introduction of artificial lab-structured genes.

Please, kindly give me a link here before I make comment.

Farmerforlife:
GMO companies have not been proven to be above board and great possessors of integrity. If you believe browsing on facebook is the way to expose such large brother corporations, then I can only smile at your naivete. These hustlers BUY scientists to post favorable studies in exchange for research grants. They OWN media and social sites, and the only ones that can keep us safe from them is a government with integrity and know-how (hint, not Nigeria).

Whistle blowing is revealing bad deals of top guys in business, government, ethics etc. How are whistle blowers curtailed? Most blowers are "lone rangers" trying to open up deep secrets of top managers/ politicians. Big boys used to easily use money to cover up secrets without getting to the public. Why? Cos blowers didn't have a broadcasting platform. It's possible to use money to buy newspaper outlet, tv news, radio stations etc but it's practically impossible to curb information flow on the Internet. Twitter, facebook, instagram are the platform for the weak but fearless "lone rangers". How did Mr. Lai Muhammed, honorable information minister had to come explain himself for asking NBC secret loan? How was the recent panamas paper leaked out? Check out the number of casualties so far? Social Media is the broadcasting platform for whistle blowing. So, we aren't in 1930s where one tobacco lord used "voodoo" to curtail people.

You are the one who is naive if you still don't know one of the instruments youths used to kick out GEJ is social media. You are living in an abstract world, if you don't know Ex Vice Atiku himself congratulated youths and re-affirmed the power of social media after the defeat of GEJ. You are naive if you don't realize our national assembly has tried many times to curtail usage of social media and youths still use the same social media to handle them well everytime. You are naive if you don't know the details of "Panama paper". I can't even smile at your naivete but shake my head that in this technological age, you still don't understand the power behind social media. Bro, the owner of nairaland is more powerful than many of the senators and legislators in Abuja. FACT!!! Are you going to dispute the statement again? I can write the logical statement again to prove it
if you still don't get it sir.

Farmerforlife:
Let me ask you, if the Nigerian government released a study showing that GMOs are 100% safe, would you trust that the study was properly and objectively researched?

I read Bangladesh, Nepalese, Thai, etc papers, why won't I pay attention to Nigerian research papers? It's not government's business to release research papers but government fund those research institutes. Yes, it's more likely that any government can try to manipulate conclusions reached in those days but in this present social media days, I think it's getting harder. So, if you asked me to look into any paper regardless of the source of origin, I would open my mind to check the procedure, facts, discussion, conclusion and recommendation with a free neutral mind.
I used to think Nigerians don't like reading as its common to read:

"Can someone summarize? This is too long post!"

But the day Tiwa Savage and hubby came online was the day I changed my line of thought. Nigerians are lovers of gossips and can read, write, analyse, expantiate, conclude and recommend 1,000 pages gossip news. So, my new line of thought is that Nigerians dont read quality, educative news and papers but gossips. And it's the reason nairaland front page is full of unclad pictures and gossips of calebs.

For crying loud and clear, how can Nigerians, especially agricultural guys say IITA should be held responsible for not developing good tomato seeds? Is IITA mandated to make research on vegetables? Those tomato scarcity threads show our level. IITA is one of the most popular research Institutes and the mandates and objectives are clearly written on its website. So, it's so painful, after the money pumped into the institute, and with many publications online, Nigerians still don't know about IITA and how to look for information. It's just obvious most don't read publications IITA put online. What kind of program/assistance do farmers want government to give them? Too bad!

Farmerforlife:
Thank you for that at least. If nothing else, we should explore all angles of natural food production before we resort to untested methods like GMO.
I decided not to make any comment initially on the point in order for you to confirm my line of thought and you actually did it perfectly. So, those exploration angles of natural food production you keep hammering on is my recommendation if you really followed my posts BUT while you ask government to do it for farmers, I ask government to back off. Let organic farmers themselves explore all natural methods they have and if they can deliver, fine. So, is government stopping them from performing? Please read the following link again:
https://www.nairaland.com/3012292/say-no-bill-gates-cassava/2#44644565
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 17, 2016
DOES IITA USE GENETIC ENGINEERING TO MAKE SOME OF ITS RECENT CASSAVA STEM?

Really, I haven't looked deeply into how IITA got its first generation specie of each varieties it produces; however, the link below looks like it shares same characteristics with Bill Gates' offer. Nothing about it's preparation is mentioned but how did IITA produce this particular variety below? Anyone who has the information with facts to back it up should kindly assist. Please, the fact a staff of IITA decides to say he works there and he's sure it's not GMO is not accepted. Such assurance is invalid. What we need is a proof. And we are interested in knowing the procedure for producing the first generation of this particular variety.

http://www.iita.org/2011-press-releases/-/asset_publisher/V8Jf/content/new-vitamin-a-fortified-cassava-released-in-nigeria-set-to-improve-health-of-millions?redirect=%2F2011-press-releases#.VzsI_B4o_qA

THE AUTHORS OF THESE ARTICLES BELOW CLAIM IITA USES GENETIC ENGINEERING

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2014-12-30-genetically-modified-fooddoes-africa-want-it

http://www.informafrica.com/africa-report/how-iita-is-destroying-food-biodiversity-in-africa/

I haven't concluded yet; however, this is the IITA many nairalanders ask for improved seeds. One of the articles claims yam, cassava, plantain, banana, cowpea etc from the institute are all GM. How true is it?

Is IITA working with Bill and Melinda Gates foundation?
Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by FarmTech(m): 11:38pm On May 17, 2016
@Godisgud, I can see that u approve GM companies to use humans as their guinea pigs. And for comparing food with mobile phones doesn't make sense considering the dangers involve. We can do without phones but not without food. If phones causes cancer if used wrongly, I believe that statement shows it can be avoided. But I'll like u to tell us how we can avoid the dangers of GMO.
U have always said that Hybrid seed companies are the ones behind this "say no to GMO". Do u have a proof for that?

1 Like

Re: Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming by Nobody: 1:30am On May 18, 2016
FarmTech:
@Godisgud, I can see that u approve GM companies to use humans as their guinea pigs. And for comparing food with mobile phones doesn't make sense considering the dangers involve. We can do without phones but not without food. If phones causes cancer if used wrongly, I believe that statement shows it can be avoided. But I'll like u to tell us how we can avoid the dangers of GMO.
U have always said that Hybrid seed companies are the ones behind this "say no to GMO". Do u have a proof for that?

If after reading all I have been posting and your conclusion is that I approve GM companies, I have no option but to take you as an outright "No to GMO" without making sense at all. And I have tried as much as possible to be neutral in the topic but you want me to be take your side and shout "No to GMO" without studying the details of the issue. I am sorry to disappoint you. Here's my response "No to your offer". I will do real justice.

Food Vs Mobile Tech Vs High Voltage. Here's my line of thought, we decided to take the risk of accepting high voltage which is instant 100% sudden death but you want me to say no to something which is not so clear causes death instantly. What kind of human does that? Cancer is cancer. Mobile gives cancer, it is 100% sure and mobile phone vendors have accept that fact and we know it too, yet we use it.

Here is the logic: Say No to anything that gives cancer, because it is evil. It is 100% correct mobile tech causes cancer. If No, approve it. If yes, disapprove it. But it is yes, and we approved it. So, what kind of judgment is that?

Your line of thought is like Mr. Sibaratoba (not real name) who said "health safety is only food hygienic". So, Mr. Sibaratoba decided to neglect taking precaution of sterilizing the hair cut clipper when he went to a barber for a hair cut. And alas! Sibaratoba got HIV. So, is he wise or stupid by failing to accept that there are many other deadlier ways cancer, bacteria, fungi, virus etc enter body apart from food?

Can we really do without phone? Are you kidding me by saying yes to this question? Seriously? Do you want to take up the challenge and let's take a poll? Let me help you out. Food is important BUT satisfying what one is addicted to is more important. Drug addicts choose their substance of addiction over food. QUESTION: What is the world population percentage that is addicted to mobile phone? May be you wanna take up the challenge and let's take a poll on nairaland. smiley

Bro, this is the age of technology. Let's play the game like people some tobacco Lords can't use "abrakatabra" brain for.

We should be concerned about the garri we have been buying in our market via IITA vitamin A yellow cassava stem since 2011 (Hey! Hope you read the articles about IITA and the one on IITA website). One guy even opened a new thread promoting it this morning. While we all spit on Mr Gates without hesitating, we hail IITA for providing similar product grin (We have been eaten GM yellow cassava stem since 2011 without knowing in this nation). Infact, i am sure it had been in the market like 1 or 2 years earlier before the release of that article. And do we have the grace of chosing? But when food is labeled, we can choose.

Now, let me ask you. Who is more sincere? Bill Gates that said "Hey, come take my GM vitamin A fortified, yellow cassava stem", or IITA that said " Hey, come take our super cassava, vitamin A stem which is good for you".

Proof that GM #1 oppositions are the losers:
Here is the logic: Figures tell the story. Whose business is affected most with the introduction of the products? Who write more about saying "No to GMO" without making a thorough investigation? Who is the so called "motherearth.com" website you shared some weeks ago that shouted "No to GMO" without making references to back up their claims? Who sue GMO producers more? Who give the option of organic instead of GM more without telling you there is danger of staph and E-Coli in organic?

If the answers point to the losers in the seed market; then, the losers are the ones behind "No to GMO".

CLUE: Let us all pick up court cases and check the plantiffs. I leave everyone to do the research so you get the drift.

For Christ sake. We decided in our mind to be guinea pigs for mobile phone technology but refuse to be guinea pigs for food technology. A guinea pig is a guinea pig. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes / Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help / Fresh And Split Dried Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 285
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.