Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

My Little Brother With Down Syndrome - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Little Brother With Down Syndrome (2868 Views)

My Little Brother Is Gone / Marriage And The Happily Ever After Syndrome: An Alternative Perspective / My Little Nephew Wants To Know What ''Sex'' Is, Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by jaylicioussss(f): 11:40am On Mar 27, 2016
.It was a complete circle, the best formation anyone could wish for. We all grinned with excitement, Our little brother is here, making us four,two boys and two girls. Perfect!
Mommy said his birth was the easiest of all of us,I looked into the cot where he lay, his eyes small and slanted like a Chinese doll, his tiny head had no neck to support it. And his limbs looked inappropriate. I thought he looked like like Obinna, a boy in our hometown who behaves funny and not all there.
We were young but we understood, we knew our new brother is a little different, we knew but we cared not, we knew but we loved him still. I went with Mom some months later to UNTH seeking the right equipment that will help and some answers. I remember vaguely what the doctor said, but some of it stuck " with proper care and in the right environment he will grow to be independent" he said. Just enough encouragement to rest our minds.
Daddy would spend hours reading and gathering as much information as was available, he would share them with us. The little fella ever so hyper, he laughed a lot pushing his tiny fist up with every giggle, he totally defied every expectations and research we've done. They said he won't be active, that he would keep to himself a lot, they were wrong. He grew up filled with life, he would dance to noisy generators and pounding in the kitchen, he was happiest in the presence of music, Dad didn't waste a minute to get him toy musical instruments, he would play joyfully with them all day, our neighbours wondered why we allowed him so much freedom, they wondered why we scold him with smile laced faces when he indulges in one of his plenty mischief, they didn't know that with every "normal" thing he does that we were witnessing a miracle.
Like most children in his shoes he had bouts of convulsion, each one milder than the previous, unlike his mates he was hardly sick. With time he totally out grew the convulsion. As he grew his interest shifted to electronics and sports, mostly wrestling and athletics. He would dismember any phone and couple it back with ease, while we still fumble to get new gadgets to work, he would have found all the buttons and intimate himself with their functions. He hates anything in letters and prefers them in numbers, his best color is red and for reasons best known to him, he likes #20 more than the rest denominations of money. Weird lol.
He has now grown into a strong teenager, very smart and still mischievous. His favorite places are his school in Abuja, his elder brother's company and any other place with music and jollof rice. As the world mark Down syndrome day/week, I do wish my little brother Onyiii a happy celebration, for one I know everyone in my family learnt kindness, patience and tolerance from you and for that and all your awesomeness I say thank you Onyi.
To families with Down syndrome kids, trust me it only gets better. Show them love, do not discriminate, they feel everything more deeply than you can imagine.
Happy Easter Celebrations to Everyone.

www.personallyjay.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by gudluckgreat(m): 11:43am On Mar 27, 2016
Touching smiley

6 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Yuneehk(f): 11:58am On Mar 27, 2016
Brought tears to my eyes reading this. Happy celebration to Onyi and everyother person with an extra chromosome.

Happy Easter celebrations to everyone

10 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Cutehector(m): 12:00pm On Mar 27, 2016
It's well
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by sisisioge: 12:12pm On Mar 27, 2016
To Oyin, may your life be filled with plenty more normal things and good health. To the families that love unreservedly...God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Dyt(f): 12:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
sisisioge:
To Onyi, may your life be filled with plenty more normal things and good health. To the families that love unreservedly...God bless you.
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by GodnGold: 7:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
A toast to onyiii...nice read.

3 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by juman(m): 8:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Eddygourdo(m): 6:34am On Mar 28, 2016
Not easy having to deal with such issue. Great he is turning out a well balanced individual. Kudos

1 Like

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Kajiang02(m): 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2016
Wowwwwww,
This is hugely touching. I'd worked a little closely to Kids with down syndrome, Autism etc and can relate well with this story.
It'll only get better.
All is well.
@Lalasticlala pls do the needful to encourage others with down syndrome as well as their family and loved one.

2 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by FactsTruths: 11:13pm On Jul 22, 2016
Lalasticlala, Sure this isn't a snake thread, but do justice to it. Nice thread though. Farano, ishilove etc. do the needful
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Mopricelezz(f): 9:16am On Jul 23, 2016
Touching
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by dfrost: 9:27am On Jul 23, 2016
Good to hear that you guys managed it well. I've discovered that Nigerians are not educated in a lot of things, honestly (read in between the lines). I remember telling someone about DS but she couldn't understand until I described it in crude terms. She said "ooh, those slowpoke people". Imagine!

Kudos to the op and her family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by otokx(m): 5:14pm On Jul 23, 2016
So cool, should be in the frontpage.

1 Like

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
Big up to you op, Good bless and protect your family for him.

cc: Lalasticlala
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by ahnie: 7:49am On Jul 24, 2016
dfrost:
Good to hear that you guys managed it well. I've discovered that Nigerians are not educated in a lot of things, honestly (read in between the lines). I remember telling someone about DS but she couldn't understand until I described it in crude terms. She said "ooh, those slowpoke people". Imagine!

Kudos to the op and her family.
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 24, 2016
Wow! God bless your family. Have such an understanding and caring family is all anyone should seek. God bless Onyii

2 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by jaylicioussss(f): 8:55am On Mar 21, 2017
It is another 21st of March, we once again celebrate the lovely ones with down syndrome. lalasticalala biko let's show them some love

2 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Khemhyte(f): 10:33pm On Mar 21, 2017
Touching
@ Op, how is Onyii doing
I pride in you as you iz not azamed to be azzociated with him(in Jenifa's voice)
Happy day!

2 Likes

Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2017
Khemhyte:
Touching
@ Op, how is Onyii doing
I pride in you as you iz not azamed to be azzociated with him(in Jenifa's voice)
Happy day!

To think that i was thinking aboht your brother's story 3...4 days back. I neeeded to share it to a colleague. Lovely write up. Now, how is the little man doing? cool
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by jaylicioussss(f): 9:18am On Mar 25, 2017
Khemhyte:
Touching
@ Op, how is Onyii doing
Happy day!
He is doing great, currently in school taking exams
Re: My Little Brother With Down Syndrome by jaylicioussss(f): 9:19am On Mar 25, 2017
jagugu88li:

To think that i was thinking aboht your brother's story 3...4 days back. I neeeded to share it to a colleague. Lovely write up. Now, how is the little man doing? cool
He is alright o. Very active and lively. Thanks dear

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Sister Is Cursed And My Father Is An Extremist / I Need A Divorce From My Wife / How Did You Meet Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.