Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. (57057 Views)

McCaughey Septuplets: Lady Who Gave Birth To 7 Children 21 Years Ago / 53-Year-Old Lady Who Got Married In 2014 Welcomes A Bouncing Baby Boy (Photos) / Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As Unmarried. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by cruzita(f): 11:41am On Mar 28, 2016
HateU2:
dats my girl cheesy. Atta girl

Where I fit get fuel I beg
u don check aso-rock?
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:42am On Mar 28, 2016
Sunnynwa:

Why court wedding after traditional marriage? #duplication

It like spending 4 years in university and not collecting your certificate, who will even believe you actually went to the school.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Sunnynwa: 11:44am On Mar 28, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

It like spending 4 years in university and not collecting your certificate, who will even believe you actually went to the school

Traditional wedding without court wedding.

That's the mistake people make due to ignorance. You get a certificate for traditional marriage which is recognised anywhere.

Ask me how if you want to know more.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 28, 2016
44chux:

Op is 100% wrong. All can be regularised and legally binding.

Just like births & deaths of old, one is required to register the trad marriage at the council office. When u process any doc together as a couple, it can be used in the absence of a registry marriage cert. Even UK & US embassy accept it.

The white wed cert is collected from and returned to the council for filling after the wedding(form-e 1st schedule). Apart from the customization of church name and branch, etc printed on it, it looks similar to the registry cert. The church collect it as a booklet. Duringthe ceremony u sign 3 copies, one for you, the church, and the registrg

Finally, the registry marriage cert albeit most important, is the simplest of all. Its just a generic form where 2 people fill with 2 witnesses that they agree to the marriage. The witnesses don't need to be family members except one of the candidate is a minor. Even the venue can be anywhere and filled by hand by a minister or registrar

The 3 of them become legal once they are hand written into the marriage register with no and date. People can even back date their wedding by years if they are ready to pay. The clerk just goes to a day in that month that has space in the register and manually writes it in.

If Op was legally married, he would have known.

Your first phrase implied that i am wrong but the remaining epistle you wrote corroborated with me 200% because you just paraphrased my write up.SMH!

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:48am On Mar 28, 2016
Sunnynwa:

That's the mistake people make due to ignorance. You get a certificate for traditional marriage which is recognised anywhere.

Ask me how if you want to know more.

What certificate, if it is from a court that's marriage is legal. If not, go to the registry and get one, it won't cost you much
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 28, 2016
Alikote:
nope I reject that notion...it a continual indirect mental destruction of even thing African by the whites as per their way are better and more civilized
this same set of white imperialist want us to drop our traditional marriages.to court one ,this same set of person want us to marry off gay and lesbian couple ....in the court cos gay couple can never be married traditionally in ibo or Yoruba land or islamically in northern Nigeria

for over a thousand year traditional marriage have been a success ,metamorphosis into stable families and well brought up kids
u have failed to provide statistic that showed us only those that where married in court that had successful marriage
traditional and other form of marriage have various avenue to settle unforeseen dispute that might arises through the wise counsel of elders,kinsmen which is more effective than a court judge he might not fundamentally understand and comprehend our tradtion ,way and customs
imagine a Yoruba judge trying to give judgment on a case of marital between ibo
or a hausa man muslim married to an Yoruba women and marries another woman as second wivfe

African traditional allow for an African man to be polygamous officially or unofficially but the European claim they are monogamous
the economic situation in Nigeria and Africa has made us advocate for a one wife one husband and 3 kids family as in indirectly directed by the white
but any African man that achieved huge economic success can married as many wives as his income and the future of the kids is guaranteed
atiku, mko ,ado bayero,obansanjo have several wive and kids without any beggerin on the street
MARRIAGE IS MARRIAGE ....COURT,MOSQUE ,SHRINE,AGRREMENT ETC WHICH SUCCESS OR FAILURE DEPENDS ON THE PARTICIPANT

But why are you giving yourself all these stress?

Even if not for the sake of faithfulness,at least for the sake of your children and wife in case you leave them with enough to take care of them and some wicked family members will want to cheat them out of these things,the legal binding wil come to play.

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Kezzy2(f): 11:52am On Mar 28, 2016
true talk
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by mukhcech(m): 11:58am On Mar 28, 2016
tok2008:

Even if not for the sake of faithfulness,at least for the sake of your children and wife in case you leave them with enough to take care of them and some wicked family members will want to cheat them out of these things,the legal binding wil come to play.

Ah ah, so because you have very wicked family members, you think everyone has wicked family members. Sorry O.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
tok2008:

that is subjective...inheritance is shared in the Islamic north ,islamically no court can change this...a will can save the day or better put the property in ur kids name
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by mukhcech(m): 12:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
goodmorning40:
What about protection of the man right what If it is the woman that wake up one day and say she doesn't like his face any more

Leave that guy, Nah only one way im dey think.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by mukhcech(m): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Toks2008:
It is no longer news that tradition is the opium of the people and no one is contending that.

But when it comes to marriage,while some believe that without paying of bride price,the man can not be said to be married to a lady and some believe that without the white wedding,a marriage can not be said to have received GOD's blessings.

Well i'm not here to discus on that aspect of marriage and i had to drop this quick one as a result of the mentioned i got on a thread relating to this.

[size=13pt]I am not sorry to write this...

Any married lady who never had a legal wedding otherwise called Court or registry wedding is as good as single.Quote me anywhere in the world.
[/size]

And this is very true for some reasons but i will mention a few.

1. He can not just wake up one day and say he does not like your face again and send you out of your matrimonial home.
2. He dares not marry another wife except he divorces you
3. He must have a valid reason for divorcing you and must be able to convince the court.
4. You have protection under the law for yourself and your child(ren) in case he dies

I can continue to list several other reasons but let me just stop here.If you like, say you trust your husband,he loves you,he can never treat you bad..O.Y.O lo wa.

If you like let the man spend 1billion on your traditional wedding and do a white,blue,green,indigo wedding with a trillion naira. The fact is that these two ceremonies combined with all the money spent is not as binding and constitutional as a simple court wedding with just 4 people in attendance.

Unfortunately we have seen many people getting away with bad acts despite the fact that they had a legal wedding but the reason is because the affected individual usually lets go without putting up a fight due to high cost of legal battle and no thanks to parents and family members who always preach to them that "what is yours will always stay with you" and that they should let go which i see as stories for the gods.

Ladies be wise..as an endangered specie in the cruel world of men,legal wedding was specifically created to protect more of the lady's marital right so take advantage of it or ignore at your own risk.

I will stop here.

Please if you are Muslim reading this, kindly Disregard that post from a single toddler trapped in the body of a woman yet forming a man. Islam already protects the right of both MAN and WOMAN. if you dont know ask me.

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by lielbree: 12:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
DifferentBoy1:

so what then happens to white and traditional weddings?

Do it too..I did them however they both offer me no rights is my spouse decides to go crazy.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by abbey621(m): 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
My people perish for they lacked knowledge! Even the extremely limited Nigerian Constitution acknowledges what most people know as traditional marriages and common law marriages. I doubt the OP did any research before coming up with the opinion but I guess he can be forgiven as most Nigerians speak mostly out of emotions instead of facts!

P.S: Even with a court wedding, a man or woman can walk out at anytime!

2 Likes

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by OBAGADAFFI: 12:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
mukhcech:

Please if you are Muslim reading this, kindly Disregard that post from a single toddler trapped in the body of a woman yet forming a man. Islam already protects the right of both MAN and WOMAN. if you dont know ask me.

You don't know the Dangotes and Dantatas are legally married.

What version of Islam are you practicing .

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by DifferentBoy1(m): 12:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
lielbree:

Do it too..I did them however they both offer me no rights is my spouse decides to go crazy.

Hmmmmmmm...leme think about it grin
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by pattybf(f): 12:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
Omotayor123:
I disagree cry
why
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by pattybf(f): 12:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
Omotayor123:
I disagree cry
why?
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by pattybf(f): 12:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
Omotayor123:
I disagree cry
why?
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by mukhcech(m): 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

You don't know the Dangotes and Dantatas are legally married.

What version of Islam are you practicing .

ON YOUR CLAIM>>>>SOURCE and SNAPSHOT OF THEIR CERTIFICATE
ON YOUR QUESTION>>>>AS ORDAINED BY THE ALMIGHTY GOD.

Em WAITING ON UR CLAIMS TO BE CONFIRMED>
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by bablojnr: 12:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
Alikote:
nope I reject that notion...it a continual indirect mental destruction of even thing African by the whites as per their way are better and more civilized
this same set of white imperialist want us to drop our traditional marriages.to court one ,this same set of person want us to marry off gay and lesbian couple ....in the court cos gay couple can never be married traditionally in ibo or Yoruba land or islamically in northern Nigeria

for over a thousand year traditional marriage have been a success ,metamorphosis into stable families and well brought up kids
u have failed to provide statistic that showed us only those that where married in court that had successful marriage
traditional and other form of marriage have various avenue to settle unforeseen dispute that might arises through the wise counsel of elders,kinsmen which is more effective than a court judge he might not fundamentally understand and comprehend our tradtion ,way and customs
imagine a Yoruba judge trying to give judgment on a case of marital between ibo
or a hausa man muslim married to an Yoruba women and marries another woman as second wivfe

African traditional allow for an African man to be polygamous officially or unofficially but the European claim they are monogamous
the economic situation in Nigeria and Africa has made us advocate for a one wife one husband and 3 kids family as in indirectly directed by the white
but any African man that achieved huge economic success can married as many wives as his income and the future of the kids is guaranteed
atiku, mko ,ado bayero,obansanjo have several wive and kids without any beggerin on the street
MARRIAGE IS MARRIAGE ....COURT,MOSQUE ,SHRINE,AGRREMENT ETC WHICH SUCCESS OR FAILURE DEPENDS ON THE PARTICIPANT

Traditional marriage a success ..... bringing about stable kids and well brought up bla bla bla....

err okay.. guess that explains why large parts of Africa are third world hellholes. the history of traditional marriage like the history of most African tradition is not half as glorious as you would like to think. misogyny, slavery, low life expectancies, violence and forced compliance to customs.. that's more like it quite unlike the communalistic shangri-la you are painting .

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
cruzita:
u don check aso-rock?
I called Buhari, d guy no pick calls. I need fuel
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Obinnio: 12:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
I am ashamed you are a man

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Sunnynwa: 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

What certificate, if it is from a court that's marriage is legal. If not, go to the registry and get one, it won't cost you much

When you do not know a thing, you ask questions.

There are three types of marriages recognised under Nigerian laws. They are;

1.) Marriage under the Act.
2.) Marriage under Customary laws (Traditional marriage)
3.) Marriage under Islamic laws.

For traditional marriage, once the marriage is done, you go to a customary court or LGA headquarters within the area where the wedding was done and register the marriage within 60 days of the wedding. You will be issued with a certificate of registration of marriage. That certificate is legal and recognised by law.

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by atakamus: 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
Come madam carry food give this guy abeg. I go pay you. Women don send you abi. Una no go succeed.
Our ladies nowadays are after unrealistic abstract things in thus world. They are not ready to submit and respect their husbands. Rather they are after their right. Most if them are selfish and are not ready to commit to their marriage. You hear things like " I know my right" instead of them to respect their husband.
The one I am living with opted for court wedding and I said no. I thank God for my response. Now she is a big issue for me. Very disrespectful and very abusive. Recently she has been telling people that she will leave the marriage. Some people I don't even know. Some people I don't even know. I spent mm y resources to train her in School. She has left the house 8 times and returned. I still accepted her. About 3 months ago, she destoyed all our marriage pictures including frames. Now she is asking for forgiveness because I am giving a damn again. She intercepted a text message between me and another woman that I intentionality went for. Her lives is now crashing. She is telling me she has right. I have made up my mind, I won't chase her away but will marry second wife. I won't chase cus we have three children together. The children need us but I can't live with her alone. It took me 8 years to put up with this shit of behavior.
So damn it OP.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by remigiusizunna(m): 12:43pm On Mar 28, 2016
Omotayor123:
I disagree cry
I disconcur
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by olowookerekemi(f): 12:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
u r 100% correct op
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by cruzita(f): 12:47pm On Mar 28, 2016
HateU2:
I called Buhari, d guy no pick calls. I need fuel
e be like the old man dey go find fuel too,come forget him phone for house.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by OBAGADAFFI: 12:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
Sunnynwa:

When you do not know a thing, you ask questions.

There are three types of marriages recognised under Nigerian laws. They are;

1.) Marriage under the Act.
2.) Marriage under Customary laws (Traditional marriage)
3.) Marriage under Islamic laws.

[/b]For traditional marriage, once the marriage is done, you go to a customary court or LGA headquarters within the area where the wedding was done and register the marriage within 60 days of the wedding. [/b]You will be issued with a certificate of registration of marriage. That certificate is legal and recognised by law.

Isn't that the same certificate the Op is talking about?

Read the post you quoted again, i mentioned the court issued certificate .

So what's your argument now.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by muyicomms(m): 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
If all ladies listen to this kind of advice. there will be more baby mamas than wife. i detest anything justice system in Nigeria.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Sunnynwa: 12:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Isn't that the same certificate the Op is talking about?

Read the post you quoted again, i mentioned the court issued certificate .

So what's your argument now.

It's totally different. In this case, the couple are not expected to sign anything and no witness is expected to sign too.

You only have to present passport photographs of the couple and some pictures taken during the traditional marriage ceremony especially the one where the wife is handing over the cup of wine to the husband and when they both kneel before the wife's father for blessing.

Talking from experience.
Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Praktikals(m): 1:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Toks2008:
Ladies be wise..as an endangered specie in the cruel world of men,legal wedding was specifically created to protect more of the lady's marital right so take advantage of it or ignore at your own risk.
The greatest 'protection' a wife can have in a marriage is the Love of her husband. When love is present, court marriage or no court marriage will not mean much.

1 Like

Re: Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. by Lezzlie(m): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
tok2008:

I think a Will should suffice !!! Statutory marriages have as much credit as it has its ambiguity and weakness. A man who is prone to divorce and unfaithfulness cannot be redeemed by all the legal strands of court marriage.

And your allusion to women being an endangered specie in a world of men is misleading and dangerous!!!

Isn't it applicable both ways, if women should insist on legal marriage to safeguard their future and marriage, why won't they take same marriage for granted when they have the law to make sure they are always protected ?

Marriage should be by trust and faith.

Both white and court weddings are rites marking our cultural and spiritual subjugation!!!

Only in Africa, especially, Nigeria are we besieged by different demands and modalities for marriage.

Phew!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Is How Christmas Is Celebrated In Some Polygamous Homes / "My Wife Secretly Married Another Man, Tried To Poison Me & Sell My Duplex" / American Mum Pays Her Kids Salary For Doing House Chores (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.