Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,573 members, 7,955,114 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:20 PM

1960: Were We Ready For Independence? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? (8437 Views)

Poll: Were we ready?

Yes: 14% (8 votes)
No: 85% (46 votes)
This poll has ended

2015 Elections, Are We Ready And Is Jonathan Really Worth Been Voted For?? / Photos: Nigerian Heads Of State From Independence Till Date (1960-2014) / NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Onlytruth(m): 6:56pm On Jul 28, 2009
Chiddysville:

I think the problem with Nigeria is not whether we are ready for independence or not. The problem really lies in us as a people. The problem with Nigeria is not only about her leaders but also with us the followers. Our attitude determines the type and kind of leaders we have. We generally are so docile and will prefer to run to another man's country to act as servants and second class citizens rather than hold our leaders accountable and take mass action when situations calls for it. If truth must be told, this our leaders live in our midst and most of us are still the ones encouraging them in their nefarious activities by keeping quiet and condoning their excesses believing that God will come down from heaven to come and install Jesus as the president of Nigeria. If we are truly playing our part as true followers and not accomplices, i believe we would have been a better nation and not where we are today. We are always quick to carry placards in other countries to protest any injustice done to others for the world to see and NEVER RAISE A HAND TO PROTEST INJUSTICES DONE TO US, OUR FAMILIES AND OUR LAND. We always want to be more American than the Americans or more British than the English forgetting they fought tooth and nail to get to where they are today. We neglect our root and our committment to save, build and make her better. All that is happening is a blessing in disguise as  it is pointing out our collective failure both as leaders and followers and it doesn't come as a surprise for some to call on the British to come and take their birthright instead of standing up, fight and defend their land and what they will die for; which is their FREEDOM

I kind of disagree with this point. In fact I believe that Nigerians have risen up several times to challenge the status quo but all they have ever received was[b] mass murder[/b] and shoot at sights. This is where those who use the January 1966 coup to castigate Ndigbo always make a huge mistake. That coup was supposed to lead to other things (like freeing Awolowo to assume leadership). It went horribly wrong when mischievous people started to inject tribalism into it. Then came the Biafran revolution (a revolution meant to correct all ills of Nigeria) complete with a political and social vision tilted the Ahiara declaration. Every Nigerian must read this declaration before ever attempting to blame Biafra and Ndigbo. When supposed statesmen like Awolowo stood by and watched as innocent Nigerians were massacred for questioning the legitimacy of Nigeria. When Awo and Enahoro supported the use of starvation as weapons of war to suppress Nigerians who dared the system and took up arms which lead to the death of about 2 million people.
That was when the seed of genocidal suppression was sowed in Nigeria. Since then, the security forces have killed anyone who dared demonstrate decisively against coups, election rigging and imposition of leaders. And you would think that Nigerians have learned something from history, but no!
You still find in Nairaland here, people who taunt the Igbo for "losing their foolish war". You still find people here who says things like "serves those stupid igbos right". You still find people who blame the Igbo for wanting to reshaped Nigeria. People who wonder why Biafran soldiers entered Midwest and was heading for Lagos. Biafra was undergoing a revolution! You bring about change through revolutions.
Nigerians will never rise to do anything even if one man decides to rule for eternity! That is why Obasanjo tried it, and Yar adua is currently scheming for it. Like I said before, our problem has nothing to do with the British. We can fix our country ourselves.
Someone here said that Nigerias are stupid people. He may be right because some people here are so blinded by their hatred of Igbos, that they cannot know when that hatred transforms into self defeatism. If someone has a good vision, let's try to find out how that vision will work instead of seeing his tribe first. The north and west have ruled Nigeria since the end of the Biafran war. Nigeria still don't have even electricity today. So their collective visions for Nigeria have failed! Let's try something really smart!
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Fhemmmy: 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
bawomolo:

why do you say so? Nigerian officers had to be quickly promoted to fill a vacuum. African armies are highly politicized and undisciplined for a reason.

Nigerian army is nothing but fraud, a nation that enlist people with data and all that crap, a nation where our military just wanna fight with the police and be used on the seme border to impound rice and all that/
Spare me, we dont really have no army, all we have are some upgraded boyscout
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nigerians are so idealistic for all the wrong reasons and fatalistic causes.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by tarano: 8:43pm On Jul 28, 2009
No country can ever be ready for Independence, until you've got the independence , was America ready for independence??

I don't think so, But one thing that was obviously wrong with the Nigeria experiment was that opinioted and feudalistic powers in the North were not ready for independence,

The south should have just gone alone, instead of waiting on the North, when the north is ready they can join us if we reach an amicable agreement,
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Dirac(m): 9:13pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nigeria is not fit to rule itself. I think we should be colonized again, and the current leaders should all be beheaded. Bunch of Fat fools with agbada. Too much enjoyment is making them not to think clearly. Infact Ghana should colonize Nigeria. I HATE NIGERIA
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Onlytruth(m): 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2009
tpia.:

Nigerians are so idealistic for all the wrong reasons and fatalistic causes.

I really think that the lesson of 1966 is that people who cannot share a common vision (no matter how flawed) have no business forming a nation. Only those with similar visions for the future should come together to form a nation. The gross misunderstanding of 1966 laid the foundation for a 43 year suppression of about 40 million people whose vision of the future in 1966 has proven correct in 2009. We want a  nation were we can stage a demonstration about anything without being shot at sight or anyone seeing a tribal angle. This is not idealism. This is realism. A lion and a goat cannot share a home. Neither can a monkey and a banana tree. Let all lions come together and live in one house and let all goats share a different house too. Nigeria's independence from the British in 1960 was incomplete. Since the genocide of 1966 to 1970, all other attempts to redesign the country has failed. No one wants to experience the Biafran experience, certainly not the yoruba and some south southerners (like Edo people) who were not part of Biafra.
So, the north or anyone for that matter can rule Nigeria anyhow and for any length of time without anything happening. Biafra's loss is Nigeria's massive loss!
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Uchek(m): 11:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
The answer is a resounding NO! We don't need to engage in polemics about "patriotism" "freedom" "nationalism".

By their fruits we shall know them says the Holy Bible. The fruit( or lack of thereof) of almost 50 years independence is there for all to see.

Give me the white man anytime than the likes of Babangida, Abacha, Obasanjo, David Mark,

1 Like

Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 12:25am On Jul 29, 2009
Ok. let me see here. . .you are asking if a people whose right to self-determination was violated were ready to have their rights granted and respected?

una don kolo finish.

You are wondering why black afurakans cannot maintain a good imitation of western models and standards? Why not ask white people why they can't produce soulful music?

Lugard describes the nature of a black afurakan according to his imperialistic prejudices and you "nigerians" accept it. well i didn't expect otherwise because y'all are artificial persons. . .state property.

Then we have a majority who support a return of colonialism. All i can say for now is that you all are a disgrace.

Remain cursed
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Nezan(m): 10:16am On Jul 29, 2009
Uchek:

The answer is a resounding NO! We don't need to engage in polemics about "patriotism" "freedom" "nationalism".

By their fruits we shall know them says the Holy Bible. The fruit( or lack of thereof) of almost 50 years independence is there for all to see.

Give me the white man anytime than the likes of Babangida, Abacha, Obasanjo, David Mark,
[size=28pt]so sad[/size]
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Witi(m): 11:56am On Jul 29, 2009
WE ARE NOT READY. The leaders we have right from Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello, Zik to Yaradumb all put personal and regional interest above national interest the bible says "if the foundation is bad what can the righteous do" I say NOTHING. and that is why corruption is right under our skin and we have divided house AREWA, ODUDUWA, OHANEZE, AND IJAW YOUTHS, ELDERS and so on
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by FBS: 1:43pm On Jul 29, 2009
Those saying and asking for a return to coloniasm and apartheid should think twice before making such statements. That Nigeria was not ready for independence don’t mean that you should become slaves in your own country.
The forming of the country itself was fundamentally wrong and there was basically no model to follow.
All the constitutions (from Richards to Macpherson) were all flawed. Nigeria was not meant to be. It was and remains an error.

What is the way forward? Me thinks it is glaring for all to see.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by jacobs123(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2009
We are always eager to point out that our leaders are bad but the sad reality is that we are bad people and we can only expect bad leaders. I know that's so hard to take for those of you who think you are good people but consider the following
1. have you seen how we drive on our roads, do we know what queues and orderliness are about and how can such a people ever move forward?
2. have you ever noticed how a Nigerian is always intent on bringing an individual solution to a community problem, that's selfishness and no society with such huge number of selfish pple will ever develop?
3. have you ever compared a company run by Nigerians and those run by westerners, it should tell us something about our leadership capabilities.
4. for the good people amongst us, why do we become so bad when we have power?, Africans generally have no idea of what to do with power except enslave others.
5. For those who criticize Lugard, please take a honest look at his statement and see if they are not through, if you say he had a condescending view of us, my response is that all over the world most white people view us condescendingly and i think we deserve it. Do the Yorubas and Igbos not view Hausas condescendingly and vice-versa? More over many of us on this forum , do we not look at Nigerians in lowly positions in a condescending way?
6. We as a people are not given to objectivity, we always operate on emotions and we see a lot of it on Nairaland. The Americans wanted Bill Clinton to bring back the jobs to China, he told them face it, they are gone. The Brits complained about Foreign students, Blair told them, the data shows we need them (read as their money). we need objectivity among the people not just leaders to develop.
7. It has always surprised me how Nigerians keep snubbing someone like Pat Utomi, yet people like Alao-Akala can become Governor. we talk about pat Utomi not being being perfect , yes he has flaws but what about OBJ, UMYA etc
8. if you attended a Nigerian university, what was the student union like or even the NANS, where will the good leaders come from?
9. I've observed that Nigeria is probably the only place in the world where the words "Leaders" and "Masses" are used a lot in the polity even by Journalists and the people, it's a behavioural disorder if you ask me and it does not surprise me that the Leaders trample on the masses while the masses worship the leaders.
10. it's good to blame the Brits for our problem because it's consistent behaviour with Nigerians but my observation is that even if someone caused a problem between groups of people and for 50 years you still cannot resolve it, then you really should be looking at yourself. Did the brits not cause problem in US, India, Pakistan etc. if somebody caused your problem and you cannot agree that you need good roads, power, water etc, then forget independence and ask for colonisation.
11. Even the youths of today will not make a difference in Nigeria's story, we still don't have the critical mass. education and advocacy will help but it's sad that even the educated ones just want to be settled first. Check out the House of Reps. In school back then we used to have what we call "ojooro cancel" meaning let's stop cheating and be fair when playing games. i've asked myself several times, when will the leaders of this country say to themselves, "Ojooro cancel", we've stolen a lot, let's do some work. Fashola seems to be saying so but how many are with him even in his cabinet?
12. For those of us who are Christians, it's time to live righteously not just to pray, donate offering and submit tithe.

if Nigeria ever becomes good, it will be because of the Lord's mercy not because we worked for it or deserved it, it will just be the story of the sick man at the pool of Bethsaida, that Jesus just healed for mercy's sake because even when the solution to his problem was around, he just kep complaining.

Sorry for my epistle but I think we the youths of this country should just march across the country and beg for America, israel, ghane to come and colonise us instead of hustling for their visas.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2009
no mind dem. gba fa nkiti.

All these descendants of the privileged intelligentsia who hear their elders speak of how nigeria was a wonderland under the british. Duh! a minority of well feed and whitewashed native afurakans were recriuted and groomed to serve as stooge representatives of the imperial order. This small group of intelligentsia were greedy and wanted to kick out the british so they can accrue and or exploit state property to and for themselves under the guise of nationalization.

lol. of course the colonial dayz were like heaven to a minority local elite just as is the case in todays nigeria. The poor masses were slaving in the cocoa, groundnut, palm oil plaintations and coal mines while the intelligentsia did the paper work of the fraudulent bureaucracy. The british had very little to no infrastructural power in the rural areas. Some villagers never even saw a whitey, they experienced the shock of an abrupt interruption and destruction of traditional institutions along with the tyranny of heavy taxation as the transition into cash cropping was made.

Read "how europe underdeveloped africa" by walter rodney to get a better overstanding.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 6:13pm On Jul 29, 2009
@jacobs123

The description of the afurakan by lugard is never to be accepted because it's not true and it came from a white supremacist conceptual frame work.

And u people advocating a return to colonization are the problem because you think there's only one model for economics and governance. A model that's not yours
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by jacobs123(m): 8:56pm On Jul 29, 2009
fayahsoul:

@jacobs123

The description of the afurakan by lugard is never to be accepted because it's not true and it came from a white supremacist conceptual frame work.

And u people advocating a return to colonization are the problem because you think there's only one model for economics and governance. A model that's not yours

@fayahsoul

I'm not exactly advocating a return to colonialism but I'm not against it since that it is what we are practicing right now only that the colonial masters are our own brothers.
My suggestion however is that since it's obvious that we can't lead ourselves (this is evident all over Africa) then we need to try something else even if it means paying them as consultants to lead us. come to think of it, they run many things right now, why don't we just accept that and learn if we ever can.

the model we've practiced for 50 years has not worked ad my point is that the problem is not just our leaders but we all as a people.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by okokomeji: 9:13pm On Jul 29, 2009
Onlytruth:

I kind of disagree with this point. In fact I believe that Nigerians have risen up several times to challenge the status quo but all they have ever received was[b] mass murder[/b] and shoot at sights. This is where those who use the January 1966 coup to castigate Ndigbo always make a huge mistake. That coup was supposed to lead to other things (like freeing Awolowo to assume leadership). It went horribly wrong when mischievous people started to inject tribalism into it. Then came the Biafran revolution (a revolution meant to correct all ills of Nigeria) complete with a political and social vision tilted the Ahiara declaration. Every Nigerian must read this declaration before ever attempting to blame Biafra and Ndigbo. When supposed statesmen like Awolowo stood by and watched as innocent Nigerians were massacred for questioning the legitimacy of Nigeria. When Awo and Enahoro supported the use of starvation as weapons of war to suppress Nigerians who dared the system and took up arms which lead to the death of about 2 million people.
That was when the seed of genocidal suppression was sowed in Nigeria. Since then, the security forces have killed anyone who dared demonstrate decisively against coups, election rigging and imposition of leaders. And you would think that Nigerians have learned something from history, but no!
You still find in Nairaland here, people who taunt the Igbo for "losing their foolish war". You still find people here who says things like "serves those stupid igbos right". You still find people who blame the Igbo for wanting to reshaped Nigeria. People who wonder why Biafran soldiers entered Midwest and was heading for Lagos. Biafra was undergoing a revolution! You bring about change through revolutions.
Nigerians will never rise to do anything even if one man decides to rule for eternity! That is why Obasanjo tried it, and Yar adua is currently scheming for it. Like I said before, our problem has nothing to do with the British. We can fix our country ourselves.
Someone here said that Nigerias are stupid people. He may be right because some people here are so blinded by their hatred of Igbos, that they cannot know when that hatred transforms into self defeatism. If someone has a good vision, let's try to find out how that vision will work instead of seeing his tribe first. The north and west have ruled Nigeria since the end of the Biafran war. Nigeria still don't have even electricity today. So their collective visions for Nigeria have failed! Let's try something really smart!

You don’t have to point fingers to other tribes or regions, when you are licking yourself inflicted wounds.
Let me tell you, whenever you talk about the outcome of Biafran war, you should remember that Biafrans are the genesis of their course. History has shown from Adams that Western had demonstrated an act of liberalism that by far surpassed any action that could happen in Eastern
or Northern Nigeria that was why we could only arbitrate and not embroil or meddle in the war. We have had enough internecine wars and profuse foreign intrusions. Like they say, experience is the best teacher!

Before Independence, western region had built roads, stadiums, TV and Radio stations, Universities, the then tallest building in Africa (25 storey cocoa house) e.t.c.
Just to demonstrate Igbo people precocious altitudes and self-centered mentality. The then government wants Quota system and Federal character just to help (East that just got out of war and North that is educationally less-privileged against the Educational developed West.
The two only federal institutions then, are UI (University of Ibadan) and UL (University of Lagos) built by western region governments but latter converted to federal universities.
1) In 1960s there were several Yoruba professor already, but just in the name of Federal Character as it’s been stipulated in our constitution. Igbo professor (Kenneth Dike) was opportune to be the Vice Chancellor at Ibadan, he had finished his tenure and would be replaced by Professor. Then, he played a race card by calling tribalism; maybe he wanted to turn the post to his birthright?
2) Eni Njoku held a court and later became Unilag Vice chancellor, he was due to be replaced when he pulled a race card and raised a deafening yell of tribalism and financed students to raise hell and mayhem in the course of which Professor
Biobaku was stabbed in an assassination attempt.
3) The same trait was found in Charles Soludo, after five years that even led to capsize of stock rate; he was about to be replaced when he cried of tribalism. Then, not even up to three days after he retired, he said he wants to run for gubernatorial election.
4) Dr Nnamdi Azikwue, an elderly statesman openly supported Biafran militants and went on a sojourn leave abroad by feigning sickness.
5) Chukwumerije Ojukwu did the same thing.

So, blame it on Ojukwu not Enahoro or Awo.
In the west, especially SW (we always hold our leaders responsible for their actions).
^You see the trace in UI, when Arisekola all convoy cars (which included on in town limousine) got burnt because he crossed the line with Abacha.^
^Jakande with his excellent jobs well done in Lagos as governor, he still finds hard to clarify to us reasons by he accepted Abacha’s offer.
^An elderly got molested and had butt-naked in Toyin Street (Abiola’s house) for denouncing June 12.
In Biafra, it’s on opposite. You could curse and talk bad about other tribes and Nigeria everywhere you go, but play race card when other tribes talk about your tribe.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by okokomeji: 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2009
Onlytruth:

I really think that the lesson of 1966 is that people who cannot share a common vision (no matter how flawed) have no business forming a nation. Only those with similar visions for the future should come together to form a nation. The gross misunderstanding of 1966 laid the foundation for a 43 year suppression of about 40 million people whose vision of the future in 1966 has proven correct in 2009. We want a nation were we can stage a demonstration about anything without being shot at sight or anyone seeing a tribal angle. This is not idealism. This is realism. A lion and a goat cannot share a home. Neither can a monkey and a banana tree. Let all lions come together and live in one house and let all goats share a different house too. Nigeria's independence from the British in 1960 was incomplete. Since the genocide of 1966 to 1970, all other attempts to redesign the country has failed. No one wants to experience the Biafran experience, certainly not the yoruba and some south southerners (like Edo people) who were not part of Biafra.
So, the north or anyone for that matter can rule Nigeria anyhow and for any length of time without anything happening. Biafra's loss is Nigeria's massive loss!

Trusting Ndigbos again with power in this country would amount to suicide. The memories of the 1960s are still fresh with the rest of us when the Ndigbos conspired among themselves and lunched brutal attacks on eminent sons of Nigeria from the North and South West. They brutally killed eminent people like Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Sardauna of Sokoto and Akintola. [They brutally killed eminent people like Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Sardauna of Sokoto and Akintola. The then president, Azikiwe knew about the plot and so embarked on a prolonged trip abroad with an excuse to seek medical attention. His personal doctor who was among his entourage had to leave his oga abroad becouse he was tired and was already running out of his personal esta code. Unknown to him that his oga had a hidden reason for his prolonged trip. Thank God their plot backfired and they were called back to order.
Kini big deal? Why you hate what you can't conquer and fear what you don't really understand? I guess I know it, sense of inferiority complex!]
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by okokomeji: 9:34pm On Jul 29, 2009
Onlytruth:

I shall never see this great country divided because of Bia-failed and I pray God should reciprocate with every last one of you (your bad wishes for Nigeria). If you don't do amen, I do it by myself. Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          

Pa Anthony enaoro (an enemy in disguise, when they need helps from Westerners that is when you see them. He came to Awo's rememberance in AOU, he just showered eucomium of the sage and later came up with self-determination. Let's just assume, they want to immortalize Awo, he would be the first to object. Igbos are no good) wants self-determination in his backyard. It’s high time, his menopause ravaged old folk wants to have a pregnant.
Biafailed, you cannot break down this great nation on us, the worst should be you living Nigeria and go back to Sahara or Israel where you claimed you came from.
We have been cheated a long time and will lean with it, so you can to slow down your agitations too.
Because, government has discovered Oil Or Oyel like you called it, in the east and now it’s high time for your self-determination?
Now, no more cocoa proceeds, it has shifted to Oil preceeds, the whole Nigeria shall be benefited from Oil, just like they did to Cocoa proceeds.
Resources distribution took this form. Of the 100% income accruing to the regions that were to retain 50%, thirty five percent redistributive income after polling together so that the regions without a good resource base could benefit, while 15% was to be polled together to run the centre. In the following analysis, we will see how the Hausa/Fulanis have withdrawn 98 % to the centre.
SWIFT ALTERATIONS:

This era saw the beginning of the deliberate distortions of the popular constitutional arrangements between the federating units agreed upon from 1953 and 1959.
First to come under the hammer was the revenue sharing formula. From the 50% revenue accruing to the regions according to the derivation principle, the new military regime removed 5% and added it to that of the Federal government in 1967. The government divided the regions (which had become four as a result of one additional region fraudulently carved out of the west in the heat of the Western regional crisis.
By 1975, Muritala Muhammed seized power from Gowon. Knowing that the Federal civil service was dominated by the Yorubas, because of their early exposure to Western education, 10,000 civil servants were sacked in a day. He equally ordered the removal of the Federal capital territory from Lagos, a Yoruba city, to Abuja in the north. Radio and television stations, which were established by the regions were also taken over. The same fate befell primary and tertiary institutions. The Federal government under Muritala said it wanted to ensure 'uniform" development. He took over roads and all health institutions which were in the care of the west. The first stadium of international standard built in the 1 950s in Ibadan by the Western regional government, which was also the first of its kind in Africa was taken over. And under the guise of the centre having enormous responsibilities in her hands, Muritala removed a whooping 20% from the remaining 45% revenue accruing to the states from derivation.
Under a new economic arrangement, another staggering 20% of the remaining 25% revenue accruing to states from derivation was removed. Shehu Shagari ran the economy aground within four years. The Buhari succeed coup’s regime could not understand why the states still had "so much" percentage of the derivation revenue in their control. Of the 5% derivation revenue remaining with the states, (three and half percent) was taken, leaving a paltry (One and half percent) for the states.
Your chicken has come home to roast. After Niger Delta is formed and Oil is discovered. I guess Ijaws are ready to say Bye-Bye boo to Biafra; if the worst comes to worse, the little Igbo extractions who were living on the edge of river Niger to the west- under the influence of Ijaws and Edo (would pack and join Onyegbo in the east.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 10:50pm On Jul 29, 2009
okokomeji:

I shall never see this great country divided because of Bia-failed and I pray God should reciprocate with every last one of you (your bad wishes for Nigeria). If you don't do amen, I do it by myself. Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         

Pa Anthony enaoro (an enemy in disguise, when they need helps from Westerners that is when you see them. He came to Awo's rememberance in AOU, he just showered eucomium of the sage and later came up with self-determination. Let's just assume, they want to immortalize Awo, he would be the first to object. Igbos are no good) wants self-determination in his backyard. It’s high time, his menopause ravaged old folk wants to have a pregnant.
Biafailed, you cannot break down this great nation on us, the worst should be you living Nigeria and go back to Sahara or Israel where you claimed you came from.
We have been cheated a long time and will lean with it, so you can to slow down your agitations too.
Because, government has discovered Oil Or Oyel like you called it, in the east and now it’s high time for your self-determination?
Now, no more cocoa proceeds, it has shifted to Oil preceeds, the whole Nigeria shall be benefited from Oil, just like they did to Cocoa proceeds.
Resources distribution took this form. Of the 100% income accruing to the regions that were to retain 50%, thirty five percent redistributive income after polling together so that the regions without a good resource base could benefit, while 15% was to be polled together to run the centre. In the following analysis, we will see how the Hausa/Fulanis have withdrawn 98 % to the centre.
SWIFT ALTERATIONS:

This era saw the beginning of the deliberate distortions of the popular constitutional arrangements between the federating units agreed upon from 1953 and 1959.
First to come under the hammer was the revenue sharing formula. From the 50% revenue accruing to the regions according to the derivation principle, the new military regime removed 5% and added it to that of the Federal government in 1967. The government divided the regions (which had become four as a result of one additional region fraudulently carved out of the west in the heat of the Western regional crisis.
By 1975, Muritala Muhammed seized power from Gowon. Knowing that the Federal civil service was dominated by the Yorubas, because of their early exposure to Western education, 10,000 civil servants were sacked in a day. He equally ordered the removal of the Federal capital territory from Lagos, a Yoruba city, to Abuja in the north. Radio and television stations, which were established by the regions were also taken over. The same fate befell primary and tertiary institutions. The Federal government under Muritala said it wanted to ensure 'uniform" development. He took over roads and all health institutions which were in the care of the west. The first stadium of international standard built in the 1 950s in Ibadan by the Western regional government, which was also the first of its kind in Africa was taken over. And under the guise of the centre having enormous responsibilities in her hands, Muritala removed a whooping 20% from the remaining 45% revenue accruing to the states from derivation.
Under a new economic arrangement, another staggering 20% of the remaining 25% revenue accruing to states from derivation was removed. Shehu Shagari ran the economy aground within four years. The Buhari succeed coup’s regime could not understand why the states still had "so much" percentage of the derivation revenue in their control. Of the 5% derivation revenue remaining with the states, (three and half percent) was taken, leaving a paltry (One and half percent) for the states.
Your chicken has come home to roast. After Niger Delta is formed and Oil is discovered. I guess Ijaws are ready to say Bye-Bye boo to Biafra; if the worst comes to worse, the little Igbo extractions who were living on the edge of river Niger to the west- under the influence of Ijaws and Edo (would pack and join Onyegbo in the east.

So the lesson from this historical excerpt is that the north is primarily responsible for breaching the path to true federalism in nigeria since 1966 not the igbos. And the north could easily swoop in and take control of yoruba property due to the cowardice and connivance of the yoruba.

Unlike the west and north, biafra seeks an alternative or rather biafra is the viable alternative to a failed nigerian experiment.

Also remember that ndiigbo were in the west before oduduwa invaded from where ever with his people
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 29, 2009
remember that ndiigbo were in the west before oduduwa invaded from where ever with his people.

ikeyman must be very proud people are taking his fables as gospel truth.

That's black people for you (especially Nigerians)- sound a gong somewhere and they'll bear arms without necessarily knowing what they're fighting for.

Just give them any cause and watch their zeal.   

Herd mentality par excellence.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Onlytruth(m): 11:49pm On Jul 29, 2009
okokomeji:

SWIFT ALTERATIONS:

Nigeria's failure does not rest in your hands, so stop shouting yourself hoarse! tongue The evil seed your Yoruba ancestors sowed in Nigeria has grown into a giant tree and it is bearing fruits bountifully: no electricity, no healthcare, no protests or demonstrations, shoot at sights, election rigging and selections, kidnapping and armed robbery everywhere, islamic extremism, BOKO HARAM, massive theft of public funds, life presidency, the most notorious country on earth and the list goes on and on, Like I said in one thread, Ndigbo don't need to do anything, MEND is already shaping things up. Sooner or later your worst fear will happen -no more oil for you. I pity you then.  When people like you talk, it sounds like Ndigbo entertain too much fear about staying in Nigeria. We don't. It's only that we like progress unlike you and your tribe. We are already dominating you in your own backyard and soon we will colonize you in Yorubaland because we work harder than you. The only crime Ndigbo committed in Nigeria was to dream of a better country where things actually work. Where we don't become a pest to the international community (I know Yoruba are never ashamed of anything!). Where leaders can be held accountable without being shot at sight. If we had that today in the east (not the PDP impositions) we could still build a region which your type can only dream of. But, like I said before, people who have different views of progress and of the future have no business being in one country because my "genocide" might be your "little punishment". My "grand theft" might be your "petty theft". My send of outrage might be your business as usual. So, you and I, your people and my people have no business staying in one country. But then again, you are afraid of that too! How pathetic!!
But keep up with the hate. The future does not belong to your type (cowards and thieves of other peoples properties). For us Ndigbo, head or tail in that country, we win! Biafra or not, we win! Biafra might be better for you. But then again, you might not be smart enough to realize that!
I tire o!
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 12:13am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

ikeyman must be very proud people are taking his fables as gospel truth.

That's black people for you (especially Nigerians)- sound a gong somewhere and they'll bear arms without necessarily knowing what they're fighting for.

Just give them any cause and watch their zeal.

Herd mentality par excellence.

The presence of ndiigbo in the west prior to oduduwa landing is in yoruba oral history and folklore u chicken head.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 30, 2009
fayahsoul:

The presence of ndiigbo in the west prior to oduduwa landing is in yoruba oral history and folklore u chicken head.

oooh, interesting!

Care to fill me in on the details, braino?
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by fayahsoul: 1:14am On Jul 30, 2009
tpia.:

oooh, interesting!

Care to fill me in on the details, braino?

i no sabi speak chickenese. . .sorwy. tongue
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 30, 2009
fayahsoul:

i no sabi speak chickenese. . .sorwy. tongue

in other words, you typed rubbish, as usual.

not surprising!

dunderhead.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by sjeezy8: 2:18am On Jul 30, 2009
i love igbos the sensible ones atleast, they created biafra out of land that isn't their if we count all of the indigenous tribes they tried to FORCE in biafra they will out number the igbos,

if anything the opressed is the niger deltans not the igbos so make biafra out of igbo lands and nothing else

like i said the RICH IGBOS are not complaining when they have oil shares in edo, ijaw etc lands,
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by okokomeji: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2009
sjeezy8:

i love igbos the sensible ones atleast, they created biafra out of land that isn't their if we count all of the indigenous tribes they tried to FORCE in biafra they will out number the igbos,

if anything the opressed is the niger deltans not the igbos so make biafra out of igbo lands and nothing else

like i said the RICH IGBOS are not complaining when they have oil shares in edo, ijaw etc lands,
I laugh at them each time they think they can leave east and cross to West to claim land. History tells that those Biafrans who crossed or swam across River Niger to seek their daily bread; did that under the influence of Edo and Ijaw. It's so unthinkable to leave east and claim land in west, the worst is Igbo extraction in the west we have to leave if country breaks up today unless if they will have to share common destiny with Ijaws and Edos. Igbo people are so confused, instead of trying to concentrate on how to build their land in the east, they are running helter-skater everywhere and claiming what has never belong to them. Just like they claimed they are Egbas in South Western Nigeria. Check the map fools, how could that be possible, from the east, you didn't stop at Edo, Ekiti, Kwara, Osu, Kogi and Oyo (you just flew to Ogun state in exodus) think about it now. Thank God that Egbaland is not located in Ekiti or Ondo, your claims might be possible then.
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by okokomeji: 7:36am On Jul 30, 2009
fayahsoul:

Yorubas have 13 million people in just Ghana, Togo and Benin republic (liberalism has been the watchword of our founding fathers) we don’t force anybody on us. If there is Yoruba country today, we would not force all our people outside of this great country to come join us, but we will create the means for a better connection to their ancestral land. Just like 70 million Yorubas in South America (and you want us to tell every last one of them to come to Nigeria or Yorubaland? Definitely no! They have to stay over there and enjoy the dividends of their forefathers’ pains and efforts.
Igbos in the west don’t want to fall for that gimmicks or chicanery tricks played by Ojukwu (they are doing better and good in the Mid-west than going back to Biafran land and become less competitive. That tells you, the devils you know are better than the angels you are waiting for. […]
I may also put it in another analogy, just like a Nigerian who is well to do in Nigeria (Sound education, famous, elephant bank account and pretty girls), but just because of insatiable feelings to travel abroad. He made it to UK on just six-month Visa, the Visa expired and he had to scot with someone less old than him. You know, no matter if you read Cambridge and study Harvard, you will end up dancing to that person tunes. [You gotta put in perspective, no more bringing girls or friends at your own will, no more turning light on or waste water (either from kitchen or bathroom at your own will and no matter if you split bills with him, you must be ready to be submissive at all time, irrespective of your age differences.
The lesson is don’t flash the light to look for family, at the end of the day; you lose! Now many Mid-western Igbos are claiming they are not Igbos anymore! Your chicken has come to roast. Then, I want to see how you will govern Biafran land that is even not half of Kwara state (except Ijaws, Rivers and Edo let you claim their land).
When you say Yorubas are cowards, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I grew up thinking Biafrans own the whole eastern Nigeria. I was chagrined to see that Hausa land took over 4/5 of east. Oh, that’s why Igbo people think they can cross to west to find a new land. Jokes of the highest order!
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by sjeezy8: 1:50pm On Jul 30, 2009
@okokomeji lol natural comedian

dont mind them LOL they want to either take or clame all of Nigeria, but still want their own country lol
Re: 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? by immadosumn: 4:03pm On Jul 30, 2009
Problem: Nigeria is a failed experiment of the British Crown. The aftermath however, is the unfolding nuttiness, that has manifested itself in our national psyche.

Solution: Sadly, none!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Capitalist Or Socialist System The Best For Nigeria? / Gej Sends Tenure Elongation Bill: "i Had No Shoes : " / Bola Tinubu's Health In Unfavourable Condition; Fails To Recognise Family In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.