Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,213 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

My Near Death Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Near Death Experience (28476 Views)

We Are Hiring Near You Apply Now General Cashier / World Bank Africa Fellowship Program! Calling On All(fresh/near Complete) Ph.Ds / Write About What Is Happening Near You And Get Paid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Near Death Experience by larrymoore(m): 10:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
your witty expressions subsumed the pathetic msg. grandeur.
Re: My Near Death Experience by mekonglobal(m): 11:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
I thank God who spear ur life.
Re: My Near Death Experience by Profvic107(m): 11:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
Thanks to God for ur life.....you re a very good writer bro...half way reading ur story I had though I was reading a novel...powerfull writeup...kpmg or not,u can build on this and live big...
Re: My Near Death Experience by ayopo10(m): 11:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
Oluwa Seun Nitori ti Aanu re Duro titi laelae
Re: My Near Death Experience by manoman5: 11:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
Eesha:
Bros thank the Almighty for ur life....

I swear you are a talented writer...

But y u dey find KPMG work when u be good writer. wink
Re: My Near Death Experience by faites(f): 11:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
I remember my own experience. I was in my second year. I was sick. Unlike the OP, I was very scared to die. I told my mum who was taking me to the hospital to stop at d church and find a priest for me.
I just thank God for preserving my life all these years.
Op, God will continue sustaining u, amen.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Ojady(m): 11:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
Now here is one of those who went through and lived to tell the tale. No doubt, you are one hell of a lucky person and all adulation to God for His abundantly evident mercies over your life.
There are a lot to be said, first of: our highways are just designated pathways vehicles are assigned to get from one state to another. Outside this basic rudimentary concept of a road, our effigy of a highway ( typical case in point, Lagos-Ibadan Highway) does not make the cut. Our roads are not properly constructed, the technologies involved are obsolete, the roads are overstretched day and night by the heavy traffic of all kinds of vehicles; When accidents or fuel tanker infernos occur, what the FRSC, emergency services etc care about is to clear the road for 'normal' to continue. No Forensics are carried out on the spot the incident happened, why it occurred, could it have been prevented, what precautions should be put in place incase it does happen elsewhere. A solution would be erecting speed limit signs on every major highway. Also worthy of note, some highways need to be critically assessed, a smooth track after 6 months of heavy use like we have in Nigeria would show signs of wear and tear. I recall, Back in the early 2000s, i plied the Lagos-Ibadan route a number of times and i observed that the track no matter the absence of potholes was, not level, what i mean is, once I switched lanes to go by another vehicle (i believe we call it, overtake) and return to my previous lane, if i was negligent to the extent of not holding firmly to the steering wheel, i, many times, would sense the uneven surface of the road trying to impede my control of the car - my SW buddy calls it 'fa 'wo'. This was my observation. I'm sure not everyone drove a grade A tokunbo car and loved to shunt or replicate Fast and Furious like me.

2. Lets face it, majority of us, drivers in Nigeria dont know jack about defensive or safe driving. To Most of us, the concept of driving was built around moving the car from point A to point B. Once you can do that safely, then, according to driving in Nigeria, you are fit for the road. This is a fundamental basis for the high rate of driving test retakes amongst Immigrant Nigerians living in countries like the UK, US, Canada, Germany etc. The number of years one has been 'moving a car' (sic) is irrelevant. The connection of this fact to our post here, is, how on earth does anyone hit the brakes when a wheel flies off the vehicle or bursts in high speed motion? The answer is, such a person is untrained or inexperienced on that and so does the most impulsive thing, which is to stop the car ( Erroneously hitting the brakes) which leads to a flip, causing injuries to everyone.

Thirdly, one would expect a company like KPMG to apply and adapt global standards to their recruitment processes. I mean, except if the OP filled in an address stating he lived in Lagos, a simple skype interview would have sufficed. I make this argument primarily, on the basis, that, if he got deceased in the accident, KPMG, would mark him as a 'no show' there would be no follow up and 'thats it'. He wouldnt be on that road if it were not for KPMG. But thank God, he survived and still went through with it.

And to Mr OP, it wasnt your time to go, God, destiny still has a lot for you to accomplish on this side. Remember that, and seek to find and do that. You might need to look out for any PTSDs that might be lurking somewhere, it was an experience. And also, listen and follow your gut, if you had qualms about the vehicle ab initio, stick to it, our instincts never lie. Try to leave your location a day before, that way you have the luxury of choice.

May God protect us all, 'cos obviously the Government dont have a clue on how to do that.

5 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by CASTOSVILLA(m): 12:34am On Mar 29, 2016
I had quite a similar experience but this time, mine was due to recklessness and emotional imbalance. As a young Architect who newly ventured into building construction, luckily I got a job that I was handling somewhere in Anambra state. This happened last week as I went to my site to inspect the plumbing work. After the days work I decided to follow the plumber in his car because we were heading to the same destination. He earlier complained about being late for an important appointment and just some days back his wife put to bed. We entered the road that evening. I noticed the unease and haste at which he drove but I kept my cool. He panics at every bend and on a haste to overtake every vehicle and motorcycle in front of him. It got to this one overtake, as he stirred to the side of the road ready to speed past this big bus, there was an incoming. I wanted to caution him not to do it but before that thought, he had already started blasting with full speed. I knew right from there that something big was eminent. The incoming vehicles was approaching us with a constant speed. I thought the vehicle on sighting the recklessness before it, should have lowered it speed or dodge us to give space but it didn't. The plumber on noticing that he couldn't make the overtake and a head to head collision was it, he stirred prematurely in front of the big bus. The bus hit us by the side causing our vehicle to spin a number of times at the middle of the road. People ran for their lives and there was confusion. Just like the OP, I felt no fear. Funny enough, I was looking forward to see how it will end. eventually, we hit at a dwarf concrete pillar in front of a bar. I came out unhurt but speechless. The fear of death then came to me as I realized that I wasn't righteous enough to make it if something worse had happened. Till now, I haven't found the proper way to thank God for this second chance. One needs to pray every time and at every occasion.

7 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 29, 2016
Valar morghulis
Re: My Near Death Experience by cybriz82(m): 1:30am On Mar 29, 2016
See dem coming to nairaland as if here na church.y'all shud go to church n share ur testimony.na when una wan die una go begin remember say God dey.people died everyday.everyday is near death experience.d water u drink,d food u eat n d air u breath in do y'all knw wat iz contain b4 takin in?n yet u never took time out to thnk God for dat only when u want died u go begin cme to give testimony....some people will tell u death is d only god dey know.weda u like it or nt u must obey when d time come.op u mek me laf u didn't evn pray when u taught u dat wz ur final moment bt u remember pen to write imagine.u begin find pen u no see.I laff.well I thnk God 4 ur life.
Re: My Near Death Experience by cybriz82(m): 1:51am On Mar 29, 2016
God bless u.unlike d Op wey sabi lie pass devil.person wan die n d next tin he cud remember wz pen to write a letter..I dnt evnknw d name of movie he watchd sef.same tin happen to bk in 1996 1st time travelin frm lagos to sokoto to sch in fgc secndary sch.our bus got hit by a trailer n tumble once.d fule tank got bustd thk God der wz no spark if nt na xplosion 4 b d next tin.everybody cme out unhurt when 2 hefty ibo guys dat wz in d same bus with us woz d trailer driver 80kg slap d driver begin confess say na 1 small ogogoro him drink.my mum cudnt say anytin she wz just like harrison are u ok hope u no wound sha.everybody in d bus cudnt say a words cus of shock we wia just smilin n prayin inside.wetin we wan talk wey fear dn grip us enter bonemarrow..we shud all b thnkin n praisin God like everyday is our last day after people wey dn died we no better pass dem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience by 0955eb027(m): 3:20am On Mar 29, 2016
Prettiepearlz:

I tell you, that road is nothing to write home about. whenever I am travelling back to school, I don't monitor the driver oooo but when we get to that thin narrow road, my eyes are always wide open.
its nt an easy tin to ply dat road o.. dere was a tym lyk dat, say 2014.. Al dose big tankers driven by dose hausa men was tryin to ovatake, bt alas, dere was no space for t to enta its lane bak.. Thats how it faced us, our own driver on d oda hand was on full speed n just had to swerve n enta d bush.. Honestly, i tot dat was it.. Stil gat to follow dat road 1ce mre dis year..
Re: My Near Death Experience by curvilicious: 4:39am On Mar 29, 2016
I thank God 4 saving ur life
If not I 4 no fit read this kine story
Thank God smiley
Re: My Near Death Experience by HiDee2(m): 5:07am On Mar 29, 2016
Jengbetiele:

To everyone reading this right now, please take a second to appreciate everything in your life. Tell your parents you love them. Call your best friends for hook up sometimes. Because you never know what can happen unpredictably. “May we not travel whenever the highway is hungry” like my folks would pray. I thank God for sparing my life and I still made it to the venue of interview that same day on time and passed. My friends said I should have gone back home immediately after the accident though.

Wow. Thank God for your life. May God heal all those wounded in the accident and give the families of those that might died the fortitude to bear the loss.
Congrats on your success at the interview. God grants you the best job there is and a career beyond your imaginations.
And by the way, thank you for that wonderful last paragraph.
Re: My Near Death Experience by Roadmap27(m): 6:13am On Mar 29, 2016
Don't you this your name only can attract death? Why person go give him self "JENGBETIELE"? I beg go and change your Name for Good. With this Name, you can still have death experience while travelling from your street to the next street to you. I don say my own.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience by Jemc(m): 6:28am On Mar 29, 2016
To everyone reading this right now, please take a second to appreciate everything in your life. Tell your parents you love them. Call your best friends for hook up sometimes. Because you never know what can happen unpredictably. “May we not travel whenever the highway is hungry” like my folks would pray. I thank God for sparing my life and I still made it to the venue of interview that same day on time and passed. My friends said I should have gone back home immediately after the accident though.

I LOVE THE LAST PARAGRAPH. THANK GOD.
Re: My Near Death Experience by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:48am On Mar 29, 2016
Thank God for ur life so Kpmg don take u... grin grin grin
Re: My Near Death Experience by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 29, 2016
Op, thank God for saving your life and even taking you further to make the interview. Did u get the job? Are u enjoying it now? For me, ur friends had a point in saying you should have returned home after that accident. I found out personally that jobs that come after such ill luck or mishaps are not for you. I got a juicy one too after armed robbers attacked my bus on my way for a test. After a few months on the job, I quit. Wasted effort, money and time travelling etc.
butanep, I got goose bumbs from reading ur story. My Oh my... I am sure u packed out of that house the next morning! Thank God u did not succumb to pressure to open the door later. U would hv been a real goner for life! God has plans for ur life oo.

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by SuccessJay(m): 7:15am On Mar 29, 2016
Thank God for sparing Ur life bro..
Re: My Near Death Experience by victorazy(m): 7:23am On Mar 29, 2016
Jengbetiele:
MY NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE
This time last year, my life flashed in front of my eyes. It was the closest near death experience I’ve ever had. My folks will say if the death that ought to kill someone end up shaving your head, then one should have every reason to be grateful. I had an interview appointment with KPMG in Lagos, so I had to travel all the way. Unfortunately, I was involved in a road crash on the popular Lagos/Ibadan highway.

From the onset, I had this uneasy feeling because the bus made a loud sick creaky sound when it was started at the park. As a matter of fact, its rickety looks was baffling than usual. But waiting for the next bus wasn’t an option. The probability of missing my interview was 90 percent putting the steady traffic into deliberation. Or should I say I prioritized KPMG’s offer than my own life. A risk I will never take again.

Just about an hour into the journey, we were out of the city in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I could feel the bus forcefully pick up speed as we cruised down the pothole ridden highway. We were going pretty fast at about 100km per hour. The mere thought of the rigors I was going to go through in Lagos as the sun arose from its slumber made me exhausted from within. That informed my decision to get some sleep as I fell slowly into slumber.

I was just about dreaming about myself in 3pieces Italian suit repping KPMG and travelling all over at KPMG’s call, attending world class trainings and conferences beyond the shores of Nigeria, applying all the special graces, etiquettes and poise learnt from school of poise during business dinners and meeting tall beautiful and brilliant career ladies. As I imagined my radiantly glowing future with KPMG, I felt a smile on my gentle face.

Then all of a sudden I heard a very deafening bang from behind… dearest brethren the rear tire blew out (bursted) on motion and immediately the jostle for the steering began as one of the passenger seated by the driver was either competing or helping the driver to have that much needed life saving grip on the steering. Everyone started shouting Mohammed, Jesus, Ifa as the bus swerved left and right simultaneously on the road with death lurking at the corner. Babies were crying as mothers called out to their children.
That moment, my calmness superseded that of River Oni in Efon Alaaye Ekiti state. That innate fear of death we were all born with just vanished, and nothing really mattered any more. But the thought of how they are going to deliver my dead body to my family petrified me. I could visualize my brother or my sister already claiming my body in tears. I pitied the struggles of my parents but what do I do? I muttered to myself Mum, Dad, and Siblings….this is where it all ends. I love you so much. I wanted to reach for my pen to write down my own epitaph but I could not find my pen.

I began to wonder what becomes of all my mahogany tall dreams of the future I have always envisioned. So condolence registered will be opened? Just like that? I thought I was going to be another case of many that were born talented but die unknown. That moment I knew the whole lot that makes us human is just pure vanity. I had no choice than to close my eyes with the expectations of opening them in the afterlife.

The driver applied break and then bus tumbled off the road, rolled down by the side twice and fell into a mini cliff around shagamu. It was such a gory sight to behold. I thought I was going to die. The chilly breeze on my body was the best thing I’ve ever felt. I was so grateful that I wasn’t even injured at all. I was the first to get out alive unaided before people came to the rescue. Some people were carried off in Frsc truck designated as ambulance almost breathless as they fight against death unconsciously.

I realized two people were trapped inside the bus. In fact, I wanted to sit where they were seated, but I changed my seat twice by divine arrangement. I wasn’t certain if they made it out alive, because I didn’t stay long enough to find out. I left the scene and got picked up by a Good Samaritan that was heading towards my destination. It is a pity our government really do not value the life of her citizens. If they really do, every bus in our parks would have been monitored and regulated before every trip. In fact, the sight of some of them is enough reason for a life impoundment.

Nonetheless, this experience has taught me never to forsake myself at the expense of anything again. I should not have cared about getting late for the interview or even missing it. If I had died, KPMG will not pay me a kobo because I am not even an employee yet. I have learnt to appreciate the people around me the more.

Just like mine.
Re: My Near Death Experience by plaetton: 7:29am On Mar 29, 2016
I am shocked that you walked out of a deadly accident, unscathed, but you couldn't care less about helping those injured or trapped in the vehicle.

You could not stay a bit to lend a helping hand to injured, But you're asking others to thank God for you ?

Africans, some of us are so selfish and wicked.

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by ksstroud: 7:30am On Mar 29, 2016
danidee10:

When will u learn that it's wow not waooo ehn

grin
Oga, I know what I typed...
Thanks
Re: My Near Death Experience by Malakh: 7:35am On Mar 29, 2016
not everyone is condemned to death didn't Yahshua say there are some of you who wouldn't taste of death until they see Him coming in His glory,there's also a first resurrection which gives the saints immortal bodies,if you don't understand Scriptures don't surmise because your interpretations are not of Yah but of your evil mind,when it says Hell has enlarged itself,Scriptures is talking about the king of pride, Lucifer,I dont mind shining the Light of YHWH on you but dont surmise next time,you can kill people's faith like that,remember what happened to those that brought an evil report to Moses after searching the land,you have been admonished
AkumahTalk:
Funny how the futility of life and the certainty of death rubbishes our desperation for achievements. Literally, we're just living to die. The only problem is that man has already been condemned from birth.
Therefore, "Hell from beneath is excited about you, To meet you at your coming"...Isaiah 14:9a. Don't be a fool to doubt the ancient cycle of birth-life-death-judgement.
Think of how many have come and gone and how many are yet to come; "Our God is a consuming fire"...Hebrews 12:29. "Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure"...Isaiah 5:14.
But how can we escape this ancient trap? "Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied"..Proverbs 27:20
Be rest assured that we have the blessed hope of eternal life through CHRIST JESUS. His blood is our covering; a price he has paid for our souls. May God grant you wisdom to see life for what it is. Happy Easter.....
Re: My Near Death Experience by rexpeter13(m): 7:56am On Mar 29, 2016
Thank God for your life.However Nigerians lost lifes are man-made,selfmade.In other part of the civilized world hardly ever accidents occur day-to-day like it happens in Nigeria.Apart from old ages/sicknesses,which happened everywhere anyway,we usually contend with accidents,bad roads,bad vehicles,humans errors and many other vices that can be minimized to a very barest level.I doubt if this 'll be sorted in a short period of time.Everything is wrong in that country Nigeria.
Re: My Near Death Experience by chrispratt: 8:05am On Mar 29, 2016
plaetton:
I am shocked that you walked out of a deadly accident, unscathed, but you couldn't care less about helping those injured or trapped in the vehicle.

You could not stay a bit to lend a helping hand to injured, But you're asking others to thank God for you ?

Africans, we are so selfish and wicked.

I have to say I thought about that too.

There's no telling what one would do unless you find yourself in that situation but I'd like you think I'd stay until all the injured got help even if I couldn't personally help them. Or at least talk them through it in the hopes that they don't give up easily.

But it's understandable that shock would make one react differently

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience by plaetton: 8:29am On Mar 29, 2016
chrispratt:

I have to say I thought about that too.

There's no telling what one would do unless you find yourself in that situation but I'd like you think I'd stay until all the injured got help even if I couldn't personally help them. Or at least talk them through it in the hopes that they don't give up easily.

But it's understandable that shock would make one react differently

Two years ago, a brother of a friend was involved in similar accident along Benin / Ore express.

He got out with no visible physical injuries. He spent the time rescuing those trapped in the vehicle. He actually helped in taking the injured to the hospital in the area.
By the time they taken the last victim to the hospital, he collapsed at the hospital and later died from internal injuries sustained in the accident.

My point here is that this young man spent his last moments on Earth saving lives, even at the expense of his own.
There cannot be a nobler death than that.

It's in sharp contrast to this lucky young man who had no time to lend a hand to the injured and trapped.

5 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by omoharry(f): 9:12am On Mar 29, 2016
plaetton:

Two years ago, a brother of a friend was involved in similar accident along Benin / Ore express.

He got out with no visible physical injuries. He spent the time rescuing those trapped in the vehicle. He actually helped in taking the injured to the hospital in the area.
By the time they taken the last victim to the hospital, he collapsed at the hospital and later died from internal injuries sustained in the accident.

My point here is that this young man spent his last moments on Earth saving lives, even at the expense of his own.
There cannot be a nobler death than that.

It's in sharp contrast to this lucky young man who had no time to lend a hand to the injured and trapped.
what in Gods name are you talking about?..if you know you do not have nothing good to say to the OP, then its better you dont say anything at all..must you comment in this topic? you really are not not making any sense than telling the OP in his state of shock to be a matyre rather.You have never been involve in an accident before ..have you?...pls dont ever wish to be in one...because you will be disoriented for some time.

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by omoharry(f): 9:14am On Mar 29, 2016
Nice write up OP..maybe you should be a freelance writer online as a part time job.You are really Good.
Re: My Near Death Experience by fretfingers: 9:18am On Mar 29, 2016
Jengbetiele

Thank God for ur life...

It only takes less than 10 seconds of flashback of ones life to appreciate God and the gift of life better...

We may complain about being broke or jobless or other hardship we are experiencing, but looking back into the past and realising that folks we once knew are no more breathing, that's worth more than anything.

We may not be where we had once planned to be, but being alive and persistence at the pursuit of our goal(s)... Would definately take us there.. Ultimately "LIFE" is first.

God I have never for once regretted being alive... Thank you for that... And as u spared OP's life, let the rest of the passengers come out of unconciousness alive even with greater testimony. This we pray in Jesus name.. Amen!

Btw:: OP ur syntax and semantics are absolutely on point... You'd pass for a writer
Re: My Near Death Experience by plaetton: 9:23am On Mar 29, 2016
omoharry:
what in Gods name are you talking about?..if you know you do not have nothing good to say to the OP, then its better you dont say anything at all..must you comment in this topic? you really are not not making any sense than telling the OP in his state of shock to be a matyre rather.You have never been involve in an accident before ..have you?...pls dont ever wish to be in one...because you will be disoriented for some time.

Yes. We could only imagine the shock he must have gone through.
But he said it himself that at the time he left the scene, fellow passengers were still trapped in the vehicle.

People like me, perhaps not people like you, feel quite surprised that he had no instinctivel urge to help those less fortunate than he was in that incident.

It could have been the other way round. He could have been trapped and relying on the instinctive sacrifices of other more fortune passengers to rescue and perhaps save his life.

That's my point, and I stand by it.

And BTW, this is a free opinion forum.
How dare you tell me when or what I should comment on.

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience by bomsybomsy(m): 9:37am On Mar 29, 2016
plaetton:

Africans, some of us are so selfish and wicked.
Oh my God....What are you saying,Do you care about is mental health at that time.He needed a psychological assistance at that moment.You still want him go & help the injured,So you want to see him injured,Before you know that is dieing inside.If you cant join in thanking God for is life,i'll only say,your not a true nairalander and your naturelly wicked,You that is wicked calling someone else wicked.Funny.Very Funny.Sha,That is life for you..
Re: My Near Death Experience by plaetton: 9:50am On Mar 29, 2016
bomsybomsy:
Oh my God....What are you saying,Do you care about is mental health at that time.He needed a psychological assistance at that moment.You still want him go & help the injured,So you want to see him injured,Before you know that is dieing inside.If you cant join in thanking God for is life,i'll only say,your not a true nairalander and your naturelly wicked,You that is wicked calling someone else wicked.Funny.Very Funny.Sha,That is life for you..

Bullshyte.

Thanking God for his life when he couldn't care of helping to save others?

What moral universe do you people live in ?

Your moral schizophrenia shocks me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc Recruitment For Graduate Trainees - Flour Operations / Get The Best, Hottest And Most Recent Job Offers And Openings In Nigeria / NIMC Make-up Test, Who Else Got The Text?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.