Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? (1023 Views)

The Importance Of Flattery / 15 Things Most Nigerian Girls Says When You Compliment Them / Bizarrely Specific Flattery : Daily Odd Compliment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2016
In recent time discourse of this manner has been brought up - as to why it is necessary to flatter a lady/guy and make them blush or else he/she may not quantify to what degree or extent the love his/her partner has for him/her.

Only recently, I was asked if i can go the extra to flatter someone that i am in a relationship with, it was even posited that it's hardly any relationship where flattery does not come in when compliment are said to each other by partners.

To some, flattery is the last sincere form of anything and should be detested and reprimanded in clear terms in all aspect of an healthy relationship.
Many people employ the art of flattery to win their love, they find reason to praise and exaggerate everything that their partner do,say,wear,cook,desire,pursue, and everything he/she represent.

I'd say first & foremost, one should never start-up any gesture he/she never intends to keep up with in the life-cycle of a relationship, because when it is no longer noticeable or found within the relationship it tends to bring about a very big doubts that could in-turn end a relationship abruptly. Flattery has been found to be very enormous at the initial stage of most relationship, but as soon as this diminishes in the latter stages of the relationship? It causes questions like - ''don't he/she find me attractive any longer attractive?'' ''Is he seeing someone else?'' ''Is he/she still angry about our last conflicts?'' to arise - this in itself can put an end to a relationship that could have led to marriage.

Secondly, any words or expression that will not be said truthfully and sincerely should be avoided, because sooner or later you may think you made him/her blush, but without knowing that you planted a promise that he/she will demand it's fruit one day, only for you to have Forgetten where you planted it. Ladies are extremely sensitive to this kind of thing. sometimes I Imagine why i have some friends even though they know i will tell the truth even when it hurts, and when i am in doubts i wouldn't say nada, and when i am sure i will sincerely tell you how enchanting you are and make me feel.

Don't be quick to say i will cry when i see you crying,and the next day she was crying and you cut the phone on him/her.
With flatter you end up reaching a level of emotional intoxication, which must not be done with any guise of insincerity.

Lastly, compliments can go wrong, know what a friend will hear which to you might be with the the best intent but you've only ended spoiling his/her day, avoid words like, ''you look neat today'' really? That means she look dirty other days. Or you look older,young or innocent. You don't wanna know why he/she would've preferred to look the opposite.You musn't be brunor mars all the time, with words like i'll catch the Greenade For you'' what happens to the little form of petry that is surely flowing in your heart when you truly love someone, say something of your own.
Remember, when relationship ends, it's not how long it lasted that is first thought of, but what has been said and how what have been said had sparked up some feelings of being special and loved. I'd say everything should be done in moderation and beautifully so, without going to both extremes. Be special, be unique, and be sincere and truthful.

What's your opinion on this, is flattery a turn off or turn up for you in a relationship and to what extent?
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Cutehector(m): 6:20pm On Mar 29, 2016
U dnt need to tell an ugly girl she looks beautiful...
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 6:53pm On Mar 29, 2016
Cutehector:
U dnt need to tell an ugly girl she looks beautiful...

Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder, to another person that ugly babe, may be an angel.
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Ekakamba: 7:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
Flattery is bad. Its mostly used by guys on low self esteem biatchs just to have a go. Well, as for me I'm straightforward, even if I wan collect I'll still say the fact and I'll be given voluntarily as much as I want. grin
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
lalasticlala, If this thread is front page worthy, i'd love a wider participation.
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2016
Ekakamba:
Flattery is bad. Its mostly used by guys on low self esteem biatchs just to have a go. Well, as for me I'm straightforward, even if I wan collect I'll still say the fact and I'll be given voluntarily as much as I want. grin

are u trying to say that it's only low self esteem ladies that you can flatter. I have seen dissenting view that most girls feel special when you make them blush
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Ekakamba: 8:18pm On Mar 29, 2016
you can make them blush with facts. E.g you can tell your baé with flat nose that: 'I like the shape of your nose darling, its unique & cute (if you really think its cute)' than telling her: 'Sweetheart you look pretty, thanks to your beautifully pointed nose'. There's is a way you can even playfully and romantically compliment a lady with a bigger head than mine grin & she'll not only blush but give you a kiss for your sincerity.... I can go on and on but no time to elucidate. Peace.
Medley:

are u trying to say that it's only low self esteem ladies that you can flatter. I have seen dissenting view that most girls feel special when you make them blush
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 29, 2016
Flattery is the food of fools...the postulate requirement for a fruitful relationship is truth - the bitter truth laid bare in all alacrity...

In your place of work, you can be fulsome towards your boss to get to grips with that position in the firm that you've be gawking at with gimlet-like eyes - but in a relationship, the reverse should be the case.

1 Like

Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Bluezy13(m): 8:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
darkenedrebel:
Flattery is the food of fools... the postulate requirement for a fruitful relationship is truth - the bitter truth laid bare in all alacrity...

In your place of work, you can be fulsome towards your boss to get to grips with that position in the firm that you've be gawking at with gimlet-like eyes - but in a relationship, the reverse should be the case.
Kindly, concisely explain the highlighted
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bluezy13:

Kindly, concisely explain the highlighted

It means only fools salivate for unction and flattery - they love it and froth in the mouth when it isn't accorded them in immense proportions...the grosser intellects, on the other hand, find it displeasing...
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 11:08pm On Mar 29, 2016
Ekakamba:
you can make them blush with facts. E.g you can tell your baé with flat nose that: 'I like the shape of your nose darling, its unique & cute (if you really think its cute)' than telling her: 'Sweetheart you look pretty, thanks to your beautifully pointed nose'. There's is a way you can even playfully and romantically compliment a lady with a bigger head than mine grin & she'll not only blush but give you a kiss for your sincerity.... I can go on and on but no time to elucidate. Peace.
you are the sincere type, kudos

1 Like

Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Medley(m): 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2016
darkenedrebel:
Flattery is the food of fools...the postulate requirement for a fruitful relationship is truth - the bitter truth laid bare in all alacrity...

are you saying there has been no iota of flattery in all the words you've said to your partner before? That doesn't make her a fool.
Re: The Use of Flattery as a Compliment in a Relationship: healthy,bad or necessary? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Mar 30, 2016
Medley:

are you saying there has been no iota of flattery in all the words you've said to your partner before? That doesn't make her a fool.

There's a difference. If one is flattered, it doesn't make that person a fool - but when one loves to bask in blandishment, then that person's foolishness is steep...

Get it?...

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice ''i'm 24 And Impotent, Is There Really God?" / Marriage Tips "Truth About MEN" / How To Ask Out A Beautiful Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.