Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3595) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11595649 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3592) (3593) (3594) (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:16pm On May 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

I loved those review shows.

The European and south American one. We knew so much about south american leagues. Boca Juniors, Sao paulo, indepediente, Colo colo,... etc

Then we had the bundesliga show.

Yeah.

South American commentators that can shout goooooaaaaaalllll.......... for eternity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:17pm On May 20, 2018
Certitude:

Almost my experience too but at elyte89 said, how were you able to comprehend those match. I could only remember that we lost to Argentina, Sweden and drew England. The Sweden loss, I heard goal shout while in school and somehow we knew Aghahowa was the scorer. The match against England was boring to me cause there wasn't any goal. Whoever prosecuted those were inconsequential to me then cause I don't know.
I could remember how my younger brother felt Senegal were being cheated but I never cared. I wanted the turks to win cause of their goal keeper. I could remember that fast goal too. All I heard was "what! 11 seconds?" I only knew it was quick. Then Germany winning Saudi Arabia 8-0. I began to love the Germans from that day. That feeling was so sweet that I was sad to learn that it's usually once in four years.
then I was in primary 4....I remember vividly.
bro....I still remember little of France 1998
then I was massively in love with Croatia...
I rememeber Devon suker.....the win over Holland was well celebrated...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:18pm On May 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

I remember things that happened when i was 3. I used to shock my mum when i tell her things that happened when i was really young. But it is not the same for everyone, i have a particularly long memory. I remember snippets of 2-3 years.

I was like that too.

But this is quite different from watching a football match at 3 and knowing that Holland was playing Argentina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:18pm On May 20, 2018
zicky:
Atlanta 96 was the first tournament that kindle my interest in football. with the celebration after nig -bra game I thought it was the final and Nigeria won the World Cup.
for France 98, I could only remember the baby dancing below the TV screen after France won the final.
Kaiii I remembered that baby. It danced everytime France scored

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:20pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Remember is diff from understanding what transpired

Me sef dey remember things die

If na remember, den I will assume I watched d 94 world cup too cos I dey primary 2 or 3 den cool
I understood that is why I remembered even if not in depth. Moreover you are reading football of today back into the 80 and 90. In those days all the understanding of football was narrowed to dribbles and goals. No tactics. Who cared about tactics. Even in England.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:20pm On May 20, 2018
Nigeria 1 Guinea Bissau 0: Flying Eagles Through To Next Round Of AFCON Qualifiers
Published: May 20, 2018
Nigeria 1 Guinea Bissau 0: Flying Eagles Through To Next Round Of AFCON Qualifiers
Nigeria U20 side, the Flying Eagles sealed it place in the round 3 of the African Youth Championship qualifiers courtesy of a 1-0 win over their Guinea Bissau counterparts at the UJ Esuene Stadium on Sunday.

Young forward Adamu Alhassan grabbed the goal from the penalty spot for hosts who sealed their place in the final round with a 3-2 win on aggregate.

Wasiu Alalade who bagged two goals in the first leg game in Bissau missed an early chance for the Flying Eagles.

In the 22nd minute, Alalade will go on to miss another opportunity. He beat his marker but dragged his effort wide.

The away side had two chances to score but they were repelled by the Paul Aigbogun tutored lads.

First half of the game ended goalless in Calabar.

The Flying Eagles came out in full force in the second stanza, attacking with intent.

They rewarded when Alalade was fouled in the box in the 56th minute. Up stepped Alhassan who scored the spot kick with aplomb.

With the away team seeking to level matters, the home side resorted to a tactical approach to project their lead and sealed their place in the next round.

Abayomi Ademetan

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:22pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:
All dis guys claiming to watch and comprehend what's going on in a match baffles me

I was in primary 4 when Brazil and France played in 98 world cup grin grin,na small remain make we c ,I was 9month old when amokachi scored a beautiful goal against greece grin grin,trying to clinch on d oldies cool grin cool

I no sabi as una dey understand dis games o,at Dt tender age...I bet most of u at DT age bracket watched replay and not d real match grin grin,make una no dey whine us for here

Aw primary 4 piking of DT time comprehend each persons name, position, style of play as at den smiley,me I no believe o angry grin grin,kids I.Q den where not as high as today's kid,a kid of 3years can operate i-pad conveniently cool.

I knew what was football during Atlanta 96,though I can't really comprehend d rules and regulation @ age 7

I didn't watch most games,because I was too naive to understand d rules,d game time wereearly part in d morning,games where played around 11pm,12am,1am,2am.d rules den for kids generally was to sleep after dinner,Max by 9pm,I dey bed
Only my my siblings who re older would go out in d middle of d night to watch games at a popular joint where dey own a generator set...generator set den was very expensive and not to popular among d masses

So abeg in a nutshell,if u re not up to age 13-15years during 94 world cup and 96 Atlanta tourney,stop analysing matches for us grin grin

Not true, i was passionate about football at 5 years... I read football magazines at that age and could tell you the names of players and types of formations.

My dad used to buy the complete football magazine for me. I followed all the football shows on tv. My uncles used to bring me to the football conversations and people used to be surprised as to how a kid this young knew football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:23pm On May 20, 2018
Alex Iwobi Admits: It Wasn't Easy Picking Nigeria Over England
Published: May 20, 2018
Alex Iwobi Admits: It Wasn't Easy Picking Nigeria Over England
Arsenal winger Alex Iwobi has admitted that it was a difficult decision to commit his international future to Nigeria, where he was born, over England, where he was raised.

The Hale End Academy graduate turned out for England's U16, U17 and U18 teams before he became cap-tied to the Super Eagles when he made his competitive debut against Egypt in an African Cup of Nations qualifier on March 25, 2016.

Iwobi had trained with Nigeria's Olympic Team in 2015 and was in the frame to play against Gabon U23s in an All Africa Games qualifier but there were question marks about his eligibility so the Nigerian Federation had to pull him out of the squad.

''It wasn’t easy for me picking Nigeria over England given the fact that I was brought up in England given the good care and treatment I got,'' said Iwobi to The Sun Nigeria.

''However, Nigeria gave me good reason to stay on when I made my first call up at the U23.

''I was made to feel at home and wanted. My family is from here and I had no reason not to take up the offer.''

Iwobi's former England U17 teammates Dele Alli and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are in line to play against him in the Super Eagles friendly against the Three Lions at Wembley on June 2.

Igho Kingsley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:24pm On May 20, 2018
asha80:
nook Jim Garven wasn't black.. he was white.. I used to know him then for 'flying drop kick'.. I know claw
You are right. I just watched him on YouTube now. There's this black guy then. Very swarthy with curls.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:27pm On May 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

I picked up interest in football very early.. 4-5 years old.
So you see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:28pm On May 20, 2018
asha80:
I picked up interest in footbal and wrestling simultaneously at age 7..
Shebi una dey see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:33pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Where do u get to watch d games week in week out?
NTA sports channel 10. Rothmans of Pallmall(if I were to be a smoker, I'm sure na Rothmans I for smoke). I can still see myself going to Mukaila my friend's house to watch the matches. The only thing is that sometimes power supply would be unavailable. They will show last week's match this week and almost all the highlights.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:35pm On May 20, 2018
abeg this una topic of trying to recall when you guys started following football is making this forum boring. more super eagles/ 9ja football related topics please grin grin grin grin grin
tbaba1234:

Not true, i was passionate about football at 5 years... I read football magazines at that age and could tell you the names of players and types of formations.

My dad used to buy the complete football magazine for me. I followed all the football shows on tv. My uncles used to bring me to the football conversations and people used to be surprised as to how a kid this young knew football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:36pm On May 20, 2018
charlesemeka85:
abeg this una topic of trying to recall when you guys started following football is making this forum boring. more super eagles/ 9ja football related topics please grin grin grin grin grin

Sorry sir, no vex
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:39pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Bro,my simple point is u can't analyse d game den d way u re analysing it now or 10years back,boss icon4s and odas don get my point

And for asha80,picking interest den was largely on d pitch of play,children den would give deirself "nicknames" of popular footballer reigning den.I can remember vividly DT we do fight for d name rashidi yekini when we want to play 3aside and not an 8year old child or below sticking glue to a TV set b4 a match having d intention to watch live matches as we do now as adult,but kids of today, are more interested in watching live matches, I c dem very well in viewing centers arguing passionately prior to d match,emergence of viewing centers,internet in early 2000,made d sport more popular among kids now, meanwhile those who got to watch it den was thru default, maybe d family is watching d match or ur uncle or fada took u along to a place where dey re watching d match when NEPA took light at home.

U dare not go out as a kid at night to watch matches den as a kid.but come area now,even if d match 11pm,kids of ages 8-10 will come and watch ball
And I've explained to you that then there was nothing to understand other than who win, who score. Finish. One can only know things based on the knowledge prevailing at a time. And I think you misread asha80. Playing football on the pitch was default mode for most boys. Nothing unique about that. What he meant was precisely the staying glued to watch a match.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:40pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

NTA sports channel 10. Rothmans of Pallmall(if I were to be a smoker, I'm sure na Rothmans I for smoke). I can still see myself going to Mukaila my friend's house to watch the matches. The only thing is that sometimes power supply would be unavailable. They will show last week's match this week and almost all the highlights.

NTA rothmans only showed German league,

No local TV station showed premiership b4 2000

It was DBN...DT SHOWED premier league replayed matches on Monday night,most times Man U games cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:46pm On May 20, 2018
charlesemeka85:
It's a topic on football. Leave it be. Concentrate on your own topic. It's like a classroom. Different pockets of individuals gather to discuss what interest them at a time. So continue your Ehizubue/Ebuehi yarns and leave others to go nostalgic.

I'm even bored with the SE topics as lone issues now. We've talked about that so many times. We are resting with this good memories until the WC kicks into gear

This is the calm that heralds the storm

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 6:49pm On May 20, 2018
Ok. So my first world cup experience was the one that held on Mexican soil. I watched as Brazil beat Italy to the title. I think it was their 3rd world cup title then. Germany of today was referred to as "west Germany". Gerd muller was the highest goalscorer with 10 goals. Good old memories. I'm talking of 1970 here and I was 25 then. Still shocked I could still recall the events. I'm probably a smartass grandpa.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 6:50pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Bro,my simple point is u can't analyse d game den d way u re analysing it now or 10years back,boss icon4s and odas don get my point

And for asha80,picking interest den was largely on d pitch of play,children den would give deirself "nicknames" of popular footballer reigning den.I can remember vividly DT we do fight for d name rashidi yekini when we want to play 3aside and not an 8year old child or below sticking glue to a TV set b4 a match having d intention to watch live matches as we do now as adult,but kids of today, are more interested in watching live matches, I c dem very well in viewing centers arguing passionately prior to d match,emergence of viewing centers,internet in early 2000,made d sport more popular among kids now, meanwhile those who got to watch it den was thdefault, maybe d family is watching d match or ur uncle or fada took u along to a place where dey re watching d match when NEPA took light at home.

U dare not go out as a kid at night to watch matches den as a kid.but come area now,even if d match 11pm,kids of ages 8-10 will come and watch ball
I watched Chile 87 u20 as a 7 yr old at home... our first match we Brazil we lost 0-4... a certain Andre Cruz scored a classic Brazilian free kick against us... that match was around 10 to 11 pm at night.. bro some of us started watching football early.. in Canada 87 u17 final Philip osondu equalized 1-1 agsinst Soviet union.. that match was played around 9pm in nigeria while it was sunshine match in Canada.. we lost to penalty kicks.. Guy forget
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:50pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

NTA rothmans only showed German league,

No local TV station showed premiership b4 2000

It was DBN...DT SHOWED premier league replayed matches on Monday night,most times Man U games cool
That's why I say talk about what you know.I am telling you what I know. I know not because I heard. I watched these games on NTA sports channel 10 in Makurdi with my koro koro eyes. It was even network programme with Paul Ogazi in the studio. I don't even know this this DBN you are talking about.

Well did you see me recall the names of players in the German league? No. You know why? The reason is because I didn't watch them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:57pm On May 20, 2018
LieDetector:
Ok. So my first world cup experience was the one that held on Mexican soil. I watched as Brazil beat Italy to the title. I think it was their 3rd world cup title then. Germany of today was referred to as "west Germany". Gerd muller was the highest goalscorer with 10 goals. Good old memories. I'm talking of 1970 here and I was 25 then. Still shocked I could still recall the events. I'm probably a smartass grandpa.

Lie detected.. hahaha

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 6:57pm On May 20, 2018
LieDetector:
Are you suppose to detect a lie or tell one?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EagleScribes: 6:58pm On May 20, 2018
poseidonsaiz:

Two things I feel would happen at the mundial.
1. We will BEAT Croatia in front if the whole world come June. 2. We will make the quarterfinals, but won't win the trophy..
..I hope they surprise me though...
Amen

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:58pm On May 20, 2018
Martz101:

so you are saying you will reject Mikel because his a footballer lol

Interesting
Mikel is taken, not in contention.

I never said I would reject a footballer, I said they run a higher risk of cheating.

Would I reject a footballer? I can't say, I focus more on character and personality of a person than their job hazards.

For instance, I would reject the likes of Wizkid and Davido, but I would take Alexx Ekubo because he has a fun personality which neither of those guys have, plus, he's better looking.

I would take an Iheanacho over an Iwobi, Iheanacho seems more grounded, plus he has a fun personality as well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 7:01pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

And I've explained to you that then there was nothing to understand other than who win, who score. Finish. One can only know things based on the knowledge prevailing at a time. And I think you misread asha80. Playing football on the pitch was default mode for most boys. Nothing unique about that. What he meant was precisely the staying glued to watch a match.

i wonder what is he us doubting it for.. people had different experiences.. as 14yr old leading up to 1994 nations and world cup I was already an avid reader of complete football and international soccer review magazines that you could get in newspaper stands
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:01pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

Shebi una dey see
omo, me na film get me when I small.

I can comfortably recall the movies I watched between ages 5-10, I will even give you key scenes plus the names of the actors in the movie.

Chai, I watch film scatter when I small grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:07pm On May 20, 2018
I watched Nigeria vs Togo friendly live at the national stadium before we went to Olympic in 1996.

I watched most of the Nigeria 99 matches played in Lagos at the stadium and the finals.

Watched all our matches in 2000 saved the finals for obvious reason. grin

But I no remember Nada. grin

How I go take remember 1984 Challenge cup btw Leventies vs Rangers I watched live at d stadium? grin.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:14pm On May 20, 2018
safarigirl:
omo, me na film get me when I small.

I can comfortably recall the movies I watched between ages 5-10, I will even give you key scenes plus the names of the actors in the movie.

Chai, I watch film scatter when I small grin
shey you see whether the talk is about remembering or understanding, the key thing is not about intelligence but interest. you can recollect because you understood what you were watched because at that time movies captured your interest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:16pm On May 20, 2018
To talk true I’ve stopped drinking for over 3 years now.

MetalJigsaw:
That one dey sha... U dey take Gulder?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:17pm On May 20, 2018
Certitude:

Are you suppose to detect a lie or tell one?
hahahahahhahahah. i like this quip. he is busy transmitting lies instead of detecting them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2018
Joel Obi Benched As Torino End Season With Win
May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Super Eagles midfielder Joel Obi was an unused substitute for 10-man Torino who ended their Serie A campaign with a 2-1 away win against Genoa on Sunday.

Obi, who has been included in the Super Eagles’ 30-man provisional squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, made 22 league appearances, scoring five goals.

His last game for Torino was in a 1-1 home draw against AC Milan on April 18.
Iago Falque gave Torino the lead in the 30th minute before Daniele Baselli doubled their advantage in the 58th minute.

Genoa pulled a goal back through Goran Pandev with 10 minutes remaining.

Torino were reduced to 10 men following the sending off of Cristian Daniel Ansaldi.
At the end of their 2017/2018 campaign, Torino finished 10th on 54 points.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/joel-obi-benched-as-torino-end-season-with-win/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2018
Simmy Nwankwo club crotone has been relegated

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3592) (3593) (3594) (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Towbaba500(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.