Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,125 members, 7,821,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11711071 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) (3599) (3600) (3601) ... (16162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:10am On May 21, 2018
tbaba1234:
Samuel Chukwueze goal and assist

http://twitter.com/VillarrealCF/status/998278409343127557

mehn the boy good!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:14am On May 21, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

mehn the boy good!!

Yes, i think he will be in the first team next season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:21am On May 21, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yes, i think he will be in the first team next season.

I agree the boy just seems better than everybody else.

His goal was just disrespectful. from beating his marker to the finishing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:30am On May 21, 2018
Sadiq Umar got married, it seems...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:41am On May 21, 2018
tbaba1234:
wow! good for him. with his fine arabian bride.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 5:17am On May 21, 2018
daveP:
The nostalgia of those years.... Mehn. me sef, the way rothmanns were advertising smoking eh.... grin I for turn smoker if not for fear of God. lol.

They now used Lighthouse family's High song.... I'm still stuck on Tunde till now.

Rashidi Yekini's celebration was all over TV till God knew when.

Chai. all of una just wan show say una be old men fa? continue. grin
That rothmans advert is one the best ever made, it was so smooth that you can’t get tired watching it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:21am On May 21, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

However, in 1993, MultiChoice as a subsidiary company was created. As a business arm of M-Net, MultiChoice from outset was then saddled with the responsibilities such as decoder sales, subscriber services and account management.

It was also in that same year that its business operation began in Nigeria.When Multichoice Nigeria Limited took off in 1993, it was registered under the company registration laws of Nigeria, and was established as a joint venture between Adewunmi Ogunsanya (A Nigerian patriot, attorney at law and businessman) and MultiChoice Africa, a subsidiary of the Naspers Group.

Its operations began in Nigeria in April 1994 and today it operates from its Head Office in Lagos and 11 Regional offices in Surulere, Ikeja, Enugu, Jos, Kaduna, Kano, Abuja, Ibadan, Maiduguri and Port Harcourt.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/others/multichoice-clocks-20-in-nigeria/98081.html

You don't get the point. How many Nigerians had access to satellite TV in the mid 90s? It took till early 2000s before it even became accessible to many.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 5:33am On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

I knew Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins and Ifeanyi Ideze personally. I got Akin Martins's (we knew him as Akin) progress from his elder brother Ladi Martins. Ifeanyi Udeze finished from a secondary school about 15-20 minutes bus drive from our neighborhood. He used to play at Air Force base close to Mile2 in Lagos. They both finished secondary school in 1997. Ify was born in 1980. Meaning he finished secondary school at 17.(age cheating check). He played for our 1997 U17 at the first ever meridian cup. Which we won by beating Spain 3-2 and he was a standout performer.

I used to see Udeze some times when he came around from Europe to play with his old pals. He was in Kavala of Greece. So I had one on one discussions with him. I made him know I was writting for Complete Football so he gave me all the attention.

Other players I got bit by bit info about them from more established media houses and put up write ups on them more on they being prospects for the national team and how they can solve certain problems in certain positions.

It was not easy then but the passion kept me going.

Yeah I remember that Meridian Cup.

That Spanish team was really good. They came to Nigeria 2 years later and won the 1999 U20 WYC.

Now I know where your interest in youth football spans from.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:35am On May 21, 2018
mank1234:

Very well. Euro (esp EPL) highlights on Saturday. South American league highlights on Wednesday night.
Elyte89 shey you see a confirmation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:36am On May 21, 2018
Petrobros:

Yeah I remember that Meridian Cup.

That Spanish team was really good. They came to Nigeria 2 years later and won the 1999 U20 WYC.

Now I know where your interest in youth football spans from.

Yeah, Youth football. That has always been my major focus.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:38am On May 21, 2018
daveP:
The nostalgia of those years.... Mehn. me sef, the way rothmanns were advertising smoking eh.... grin I for turn smoker if not for fear of God. lol.

They now used Lighthouse family's High song.... I'm still stuck on Tunde till now.

Rashidi Yekini's celebration was all over TV till God knew when.

Chai. all of una just wan show say una be old men fa? continue. grin
That song that year, the suave masculine voice that rumbles in your ears like a soft thunder. Song is humming in my mind right now sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:49am On May 21, 2018
jihday:
LMAO @ Chile 87 formation
Funny guy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:51am On May 21, 2018
elyte89:

Baba dis ball we talking of self,even as as today some ardent fan of football don't knw d basic rules if u engage dem,such do happen on dis forum at times

And u want to tell me DT as an 8year old below can analyse different formation like 4-5-1,4-4-2,4-3-3,den as at 92,94,96 year cool

Me I no believe una o

Okay let me ask u a question, and please b sincere don't check d internet,d Chile 87 u claimed to watch

Wc formation did Nigeria used against Canada in died 2-2,name d starting 11,if u truly u comprehend what u watched as at age 7 den.I knw u can't analyse it

But am sure if I ask u d formations and line ups most teams used from 98 till present,u go tell me wout d help of internet.
Name the starting eleven of our Afcon winning team of 2013 without checking Internet. I told you that you are reading today's over emphasis on tactical into football of the past. Do you know that arsenal was just a rowdy set of drunks and smokers when arsene Wenger came in 1996? Do you know that as at 1987 some football teams were just made up of non professional players? In the midst of all our discussions yesterday I even went and watched highlights of Owen's goals. Baba come see ugly pitches. The game has progressed. Heck some people calling themselves coaches as at 87 were nothing but motivational speakers. Go watch Nig v England 1995 friendly. Niger used 4-4-2, England same thing. You know why? Tactical awareness was very limited then. So if he says he understood then as at 87,you should understand that he understood it based on the knowledge of football prevailing at that time-- who score, who dribble, who win, shikena
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:02am On May 21, 2018
Mujtahida:

Name the starting eleven of our Afcon winning team of 2013 without checking Internet. I told you that you are reading today's over emphasis on tactical into football of the past. Do you know that arsenal was just a rowdy set of drunks and smokers when arsene Wenger came in 1996? Do you know that as at 1987 some football teams were just made up of non professional players? In the midst of all our discussions yesterday I even went and watched highlights of Owen's goals. Baba come see ugly pitches. The game has progressed. Heck some people calling themselves coaches as at 87 were nothing but motivational speakers. Go watch Nig v England 1995 friendly. Niger used 4-4-2, England same thing. You know why? Tactical awareness was very limited then. So if he says he understood then as at 87,you should understand that he understood it based on the knowledge of football prevailing at that time-- who score, who dribble, who win, shikena

Baba u don win grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:06am On May 21, 2018
Sainty92:
Must you throw tantrums and provocative words just to drive home your point? No chelsea fan deserved wat u just said. *All chelsea fans are kid* I see u when be old man.

Lol bro no mind me jor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:22am On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

You don't get the point. How many Nigerians had access to satellite TV in the mid 90s? It took till early 2000s before it even became accessible to many.
I remember in my street then.... around 1998-2002 only two compund had satellite.
the rest of us relied on nta network news to hear and watch....few TV channels then self...because TV rights for private individuals and coys was just being de-regularised. I think in the late 90s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:26am On May 21, 2018
elyte89:

Baba u don win grin cheesy
Come back ooo. I dey enjoy the discourse. Oya na when our camp dey open
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:48am On May 21, 2018
safarigirl:
Mikel is taken, not in contention.

I never said I would reject a footballer, I said they run a higher risk of cheating.

Would I reject a footballer? I can't say, I focus more on character and personality of a person than their job hazards.

For instance, I would reject the likes of Wizkid and Davido, but I would take Alexx Ekubo because he has a fun personality which neither of those guys have, plus, he's better looking.

I would take an Iheanacho over an Iwobi, Iheanacho seems more grounded, plus he has a fun personality as well.

That's an assumption based on what?

It also depends on what you mean by cheating

I know a lot of footballers who have no drama but have drama from multiple women trying to get with them by hook and crook. Making claims where there is none.

It's a question of conviction and character.

Do not judge a book by the presumed cover you put on it. It's a lot different than what you may think.

In addition the expectations and obligations of a quasi marriage i.e. boyfriend and girlfriend are TOTALLY different from a marriage.

Unless you know these guys personally you are essentially looking in the dark without a torchlight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:06am On May 21, 2018
AIG07:
If I'm right, it seems the guy didn't play for any english age grade team.

But the question is, who will invite him?

At age 16 playing Sunday youth football got scouted after a friendly match with Charlton Athletic youth team. Within a year plus first team player.

Within 3 years £11 million pound transfer fee and the rest is history.

He played before England knew his name for Nigeria U17 in trial selection. However, not selected but we want to select him now Abe.

No wonder he was not particularly enthusiastic.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:20am On May 21, 2018
tbaba1234:

Good one for sadiq and i hope the girl is 18

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 9:23am On May 21, 2018
elyte89:
All dis guys claiming to watch and comprehend what's going on in a match baffles me

I was in primary 4 when Brazil and France played in 98 world cup grin grin,na small remain make we c ,I was 9month old when amokachi scored a beautiful goal against greece grin grin,trying to clinch on d oldies cool grin cool

I no sabi as una dey understand dis games o,at Dt tender age...I bet most of u at DT age bracket watched replay and not d real match grin grin,make una no dey whine us for here

Aw primary 4 piking of DT time comprehend each persons name, position, style of play as at den smiley,me I no believe o angry grin grin,kids I.Q den where not as high as today's kid,a kid of 3years can operate i-pad conveniently cool.

I knew what was football during Atlanta 96,though I can't really comprehend d rules and regulation @ age 7

I didn't watch most games,because I was too naive to understand d rules,d game time wereearly part in d morning,games where played around 11pm,12am,1am,2am.d rules den for kids generally was to sleep after dinner,Max by 9pm,I dey bed
Only my my siblings who re older would go out in d middle of d night to watch games at a popular joint where dey own a generator set...generator set den was very expensive and not to popular among d masses

So abeg in a nutshell,if u re not up to age 13-15years during 94 world cup and 96 Atlanta tourney,stop analysing matches for us grin grin

Dont be so quick my bro.... there are kids that actually had understanding of the game back then. Its all about interest. I remember the 86 world cup. There was a dude in my primary school who could list the starting 11 of Argentina. We used to fight on which country to choose when playing "table soccer " with bottle covers. And paste calender numbers on the cover to depict jerseys. Children of today are hounded in the house. Its all about playstation and XBox today

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:27am On May 21, 2018
andrew444:

Good one for sadiq and i hope the girl is 18

Why?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:31am On May 21, 2018
Mujtahida:

Good analysis and good elyte89 agreed without reservation.I know some would be surprised that how can this man watched Expana 82 but that's the fact cos i followed the game passionately at a very young age.

I'm a typical stadium boy.My house situated at sultan road was separated from Ilorin township stadium with a fence,anytime i woke up it was me and main bowl saying good morning.

This gave me a great opportunity of watching local leagues live at a very young age,watching clubs like Water corporation later known as Kwara Bomber and now Kwara United and seeing most visiting teams was a great memory till dates

Talking about Nigeria football in the 80s just too easy for me,right from 1980 nations cup,Shagari cup,WAFU cup won for keep by great NNB of Benin, historical match between shooting star of Ibadan and Zamalek in 1984,this was the last match great Segun Odegbami played and announced his retirement unceremoniously cos the team was disbanded by then Oyo state governor Col.Oladayo Popoola.I remembered great Leventis united a division three club side who won FA cup known then as Challenge cup.

What of great and healthy rivalry between Leventis united and Abiola babes,1986 FA cup between the two clubs could be described as rivalry of copa de rel of Barca and Real.It was an own goal from Toyin Ayinla that beat Raymond King hands down that decided the winner in a tension soaked match.

The real traditional rival are Shooting star and Rangers international.Rangers was formed after Biafra war and to rival shooting star and to bring unity to already wounded country and it really brought real reintegration cos anytime Rangers have away match you see Igbos in their thousands supporting the team.

This really brought love and stability back to Nigeria.I remember watching Ranger and Shooting live in Ibadan in 1982 with my uncle who was a good supporter of Ranger international in Ilorin. We travelled from Ilorin to watch the match and come see carnivals displayed by the two sides.The match was tagged Chairman Christian Chuckwu vs Mathematical Segun Odegbami.

During this period we have good teams like Flash Flamingos,Bendel Insurance, Raccah Rover, First Bank,NNB,ACB,Stationary stores,IBWA,Femo Scorpions, Nasco jets,Sharks fc,Iwuanyanwu nationale,Enyimba Leventis united, Abiola Babes,Ranchers Bees etc

I had the opportunity of watching these teams live especially the group stage of Challenge cup which Ilorin township stadium always picked as one of the host.It was massive then seeing four solid teams camp in Ilorin for group stage.

My real knowledge of the game really started in 1984 afcon and it was a great tournament for young Nigeria team coached by Onigbinde and captain by 22 years old Stephen Keshi with likes of Muda Lawal,Henry Nwosu, Ademola Adeshina,Yisa Sofoluwe,Humphery Edebor,Bright Omokaro,Suday Eboigbe,Peter Rufai,Patrick Okala.

I remember the epic semi final between Nigeria and Egypt which we won by penalties,this match gave fame to Peter Rufai and in the final we lost due to inexperienced and Rufai missed the match due to injury and Patrick Okala replaced him.Cameroon had a great team from Espana 82,this was a team that didn't lose a match at Espana but good outing for Nigeria.

Talking about tactics and formations then?nobody cares,just see your team on the field of play doing it but then it was traditional 4-4-2 with four defenders two midfielder two wingers and two attackers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:32am On May 21, 2018
kennysville:

Dont be so quick my bro.... there are kids that actually had understanding of the game back then. Its all about interest. I remember the 86 world cup. There was a dude in my primary school who could list the starting 11 of Argentina. We used to fight on which country to choose when playing "table soccer " with bottle covers. And paste calender numbers on the cover to depict jerseys. Children of today are hounded in the house. Its all about playstation and XBox today

Chei!!! Table soccer!!!!
I was always Brazil and was fond of playing plenty of passing game. cool

For those that didn't see it. This is table soccer: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2018
I was also a Kite Master.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:42am On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Chei!!! Table soccer!!!!
I was always Brazil and was fund of playing plenty of passing game. cool

For those that didn't see it. This is table soccer: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Kai chief table soccer! Oh i need to teach my kids the Table soccer this weekend.What an innovation of the 80s.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:46am On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Why?

Lol,i dey like make man senior the wife,my african mentality as sadiq is 21,anyway me am just kidding
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:47am On May 21, 2018
kennysville:

Its DT same PlayStation and Xbox made dem to get expose about d game quickly in terms of diff set of formations,tactics etc...kids of den wc include ur friend doesn't knw what 4-4-2,4-5-1,4-3-3,4-1-4-1,3-6-1, etc is.the evolution of PlayStation made todays kid exposed to in depth tactics of diff play,what WB is,CM is,AMF is,SS ,etc is...am sure ur friend back den couldn't differentiate BTW SS AND FW,back den we all call dem STRIKERS,same as Mujtalhida,asha80,am sure dey couldn't differentiate BTW AMF from CM,when dey claimed dey started watching football as kids back den,we all call dem midfielders but kids of today will differentiate all d players roles for u conveniently due to d exposure dey encountered thru different formations in PlayStation games DT was not available to us back den,we na canters,rub,sometimes we heat candles into d canters to make dem stronger, kids of today don't do all dt grin grin

I also did what u said ur friend could do back den,me sef sabi players name

But I doubt if ur friend den could differentiate BTW a LWB AND A LB,KIDS OF TDAY CAN DO DT CONVINCINGLY, due to d help PlayStation, FOOTBALL MANAGER ET AL,WC we no get dt time

If ur friend can do DT,den he belongs to d category of who score, who dribble, grin grin like what boss Mujtalhida will say,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:48am On May 21, 2018
Kog45:
Kai chief table soccer! Oh i need to teach my kids the Table soccer by weekend.

Chei!!! Kenny don take me back memory lane this morning o.

We were always playing competitions. And there was a trophy made of Jik container and Philips electric bulb rapped with gold or silver foil, which ever was available or a mixture of both.

We played in this life o.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:50am On May 21, 2018
andrew444:

Lol,i dey like make man senior the wife,my african mentality as sadiq is 21,anyway me am just kidding
Kai Andrew age matter again,married at 21 get as e be,just like Awoniyi,well possible his wife is older.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:51am On May 21, 2018
andrew444:

Well I understand your view, but sometimes Love will forget age difference o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:55am On May 21, 2018
Icon4s:

Chei!!! Kenny don take me back memory lane this morning o.

We were always playing competitions. And there was a trophy made of Jik container and Philips electric bulb rapped with gold or silver foil, which ever was available or a mixture of both.

We played in this life o.
Yes competitions from street to street.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) (3599) (3600) (3601) ... (16162) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Psittacus(m), Sainty92 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.