Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3975) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11589686 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3972) (3973) (3974) (3975) (3976) (3977) (3978) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by milanseedorf(m): 12:16am On Jun 08, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:38am On Jun 08, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Underrate England at your own peril. They have some of the finest forward players.

It's gonna be a quarter-final berth for England (at most)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:43am On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:
For those thinking that Simmy will be the messiah, I'd rather have my fingers crossed than join the bandwagon.

Until he starts showing it, Chris wont sing his praises

Abi. Thought of it too. But cameo appearances won.t help us gauge him thoroughly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:29am On Jun 08, 2018
If you think this man Called Coach Gernot Rohr won't go the extra lengths to ensure we hit the right gear just in time for June 16, then look again..... Against all odds he "codedly" stood tall over Osinbajo and tried to keep up with Mikel's neck... This man no dey carry last... grin

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EagleScribes: 2:11am On Jun 08, 2018
Bad boy. Savage you are

TheSuperNerd:
If you think this
man Called Coach Gernot Rohr won't go the extra lengths to ensure we hit the right gear just in time for June 16, then look again..... Against all odds he "codedly" stood tall over Osinbajo and tried to keep up with Mikel's neck... This man no dey carry last... grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 2:13am On Jun 08, 2018
How in the world were you able to see that @ Supernerd? That's crazy

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:20am On Jun 08, 2018
mazimee:
In the other news it seems that Liverpool is really interested in Moses Simon

Reacting on Liverpool Echo, Klopp said: I love Simon because he is similar to Sadio Mane, he should have been with Nigeria at the World Cup but for injuries, he has blossomed in the Belgian League and has been monitored on a number of times. He is capable of giving Liverpool wings.”

wish simon was in Russia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:43am On Jun 08, 2018
Onazi: I’m Not Fighting With Mikel; Our Team Must Improve
June 7, 2018 11:03 pm

Trabzonspor of Turkey midfielder Ogenyi Onazi has labelled reports of him having an altercation with his national team captain Mikel Obi as ‘falsehood’, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

There were reports that the pair (Onazi and Mikel) are at loggerheads over the leadership of the team and the alleged tussle is affecting the chemistry of the players in camp.

Onazi admits he has noy been at his best in recent games but adds that his performance has not affected his outstanding relationship with the Tianjin TEDA star Mikel.

“It’s ridiculous to read that I don’t take orders from him (Mikel),” Onazi told only CSN.

“He’s an outstanding individual and it hurts that this could be out there without verification.

“I relate well with Mikel, he is our captain and our leader. Thank you for trying to balance your reports.

“We all grew up together in Jos and he’s someone I have looked up to since I started my career. I get along with him and he has been helpful encouraging me after the criticism I recieved after the England game.”

On the team’s defeat against Czech Republic, the former SS Lazio midfielder admitted that the team must improve to stand a good chance against Croatia.
“We are here to do our country proud and to achieve that we must improve on our performances,” he added.

Onazi was left out of Nigeria’s squad that lost 1-0 to Czech Republic and it remains to be seen if he will be restored to the starting line-up for the team’s Russia 2018 World Cup opener against Croatia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-im-not-fighting-with-mikel-our-team-must-improve/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:46am On Jun 08, 2018
Echiejile: I’m Ready To Play Wing-Back, Eagles Know How To Handle Croatia
June 7, 2018 9:38 pm

Elderson Echiejile has revealed that he will be prepared to play as a wing-back for the Super Eagles as Gernot Rohr ponders switching to a 3-5-2 formation ahead of their 2018 FIFA World opener against Croatia on the 16th of June, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Echiejile, who came on for Bryan Idowu in Nigeria’s 1-0 defeat to Czech Republic at the Rudolf Tonn Stadium in Austria on Wednesday, told CSN that the team will notdisappoint when they take on Croatia.

“I can play as a left full-back or a left wing-back, as you know football has evolved over time and playing in several positions enhances your versatility in the team,” Echiejile who made his 61st appearance for Nigeria in the defeat told CSN.

“I’m comfortable playing there.
“The game was tough but we will regroup to polish the areas needed to be improved on.
“Either position – as a left-back or a wing-back, that depends on the tactics the manager is deploying for any game.

“I feel we now have a clue on how to face Croatia, looking at their game against Brazil. We won’t disappoint Nigerians in Russia, we just want their full support to ensure we surpass our past achievements at the World Cup.”

Echiejile is also excited he made the final cut for the 2018 FIFA World Cup having missed out on the 2014 World Cup in Russia.

“Most of us were not sure, but I’m happy I made the cut and it’s time to do the nation proud,” he added.

The Super Eagles open their World Cup campaign on 16 June against Croatia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-im-ready-to-play-wing-back-eagles-know-how-to-handle-croatia/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:49am On Jun 08, 2018
Czech Republic Keeper Vaclik: How We Outsmarted Super Eagles
June 7, 2018 8:13 pm

Czech Republic goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik described Wednesday’s 1-0 friendly win against the Super Eagles of Nigeria as a valuable one, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Karel Jarolim’s men were thrashed 4-0 by Australia in another friendly fixture last Friday but bounced back with an impressive showing against the World Cup-bound West Africans.

“It was a valuable victory for us. We controlled the game and created a number of chances too,” Vaclik was told Tyden.cz.

“They (Nigeria) played better in the second half but we stood up to them. It was a different performance from us than against Australia.”

Czech Republic head coach, Karel Jarolim, made a number of changes to the team that lost to the Australians and also tinkered with the formation, adopting a 3-5-2 as against the 4-3-3 they lined up with against Australia.

And the 29-year-old FC Basel shot stopper stated that the players acquainted themselves well in the game.

“We were more compact when under pressure. We also used it against Germany in the qualifier and it was our best performance,” he said.

“It’s good that we have two options among which we can switch.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/czech-republic-keeper-vaclik-how-we-outsmarted-super-eagles/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:57am On Jun 08, 2018
Ogu: Super Eagles Have Learnt From Defeats, I’ll Play In Any Position
June 7, 2018 5:50 pm

Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu believes the team have picked valuable lessons from the 1-0 defeat against Czech Republic in their friendly encounter in Austria on Wednesday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Hapoel Be’er Sheva of Israel star started the game in midfield but switched to a centre-back role when Nigeria changed formation in the second half.

He further stated that he is ready to play in any position for the team and vowed to keep working hard in training ahead of the World Cup.

“Another “FRIENDLY “game to analyse, learn and build on towards the World Cup. Everyone is working hard and as well preparing for the task ahead. Any position the Manager wants me to play, I will fight and work hard as long as it is to win for my country!!.Thanks to all our fans,” Out tweeted on Thursday.

Ogu will be playing in his first World Cup in Russia following his shocking omission from Nigeria’s squad that took part in Brazil 2014.
Wednesday’s defeat against Czech Republic was the Super Eagles’ third in four games.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ogu-super-eagles-have-learnt-from-defeats-ill-play-in-any-position/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:02am On Jun 08, 2018
Ndidi “Feels Good” To Return For Super Eagles Despite Czech Defeat
June 7, 2018 5:08 pm

Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi is happy to be back on the pitch again after recovering from a hamstring injury that sidelined him from action for five weeks, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The 21-year-old returned to action in Nigeria’s final pre-World Cup game against Czech Republic in Austria on Wednesday.
The former KRC Genk midfielder played who match, which the Super Eagles lost 1-0. Tomas Kalas scored the only goal of the game in the 25th minute.

“Feels good to be back on the pitch,” Ndidi tweeted on Thursday.

Ndidi has made 17 appearances for the Super Eagles since he made his debut under former coach Sunday Oliseh in 2015 and he is one of the 18 Nigeria players in set to make their World Cup debuts at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Nigeria will face Croatia, Iceland and Argentina in Group D.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ndidi-feels-good-to-return-for-super-eagles-despite-czech-defeat/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olibboy: 5:45am On Jun 08, 2018
¿
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:47am On Jun 08, 2018
Kog45:
Oga icon4s i was on ghost mode reading different views and it was like whao Nigerians really love eagles..

Oh really surprised seeing a whole Chriskel losing hope and lamenting like a lost soldier in the wilderness.Initially i thought he wasn't him until he responded to a salvo from safarigirl and his friend Mujtahida nailed him.

He came out and said he doesn't know what came over him.Initially i thought he must have jammed metaljigsaw the broken bottle man cos Chriskel i know is a passionate super eagles fan.

My good friends Michael2 and goldfish80 never dissapoint.They remain real critics of Rohr even when he was winning believing tactically the man is not getting it right and to be candid Rohr is not getting it right now going by the friendlies.

Safarigirl,TheSuperNerd,icon79 O pari master and Joebie remain unshaken still showing total support for eagles.

Really surprised to see some monikers who are always on ghost mode came out in full force to share their views and different opinions ranges from team leadership of Mikel,Moses an obstacle to the team formation, Ighalo not good enough, Uzoho not that solid,Balogun/Ekong look vulnerable, Shehu finding it difficult,Iwobi should be used as AM,Mikel and Onazi supremacy rumours etc.

I sighted tbaba1234 doing his thing with hope,BasconVanVelli looking hopeful,Elyte89 showing his comical approach to douse the tensions in the house.Metaljigsaw looking at the team critically before he play his bet.Marzt still showing his undying love for some players in the team.Omanbala raising up his mind for better outing. Mujtahida believe there is no tension. Goke and Oasis believe there is hope if Rohr get it right.Andrew444,Realpoacher,Soetanoluwa,junnyake showing their moods with critical analysis of the team.

But forgiveness and Komkne really surprised me with their great analytical views of the team.They are indeed a lover of super eagles.

Icon4s reading your full comprehensive post showed patriotism of a real super eagles fan who is ready to swim with the team in any circumstances.

I think we need to continue showing that love even in unwarranted situations cos is our team and we have been long here talking about this team,so the recent performance should not weakened us like my good friend Chriskel who wasn't happy and i will not blame him cos if Australia could walloped Czech republic 4 nil why Nigeria losing to the same Czech.

Pls we should stop saying Rohr is hiding his check cards for WC,no the team is not getting it right and truth must be told.Let's hope for better performance at WC.

Egbon, to tell you the fact. I am not happy about the outcome of the friendlies. I would have loved the team to go into the tournament with confidence and high expectations.

But, it has happened this way. And that doesn't mean all hope is lost!

I don't believe Rohr is hiding any tactics. Yes he performed some experiments and saw the results. By results I don't just mean the score lines. I mean observations to be taken away into the WC.
Let us see how he will line up the team against Croatia.

I am not shaken.

What I have to say is WE ARE NIGERIA! and we are capable of shocking anybody. Take that from me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:51am On Jun 08, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Echiejile: I’m Ready To Play Wing-Back, Eagles Know How To Handle Croatia
June 7, 2018 9:38 pm

Elderson Echiejile has revealed that he will be prepared to play as a wing-back for the Super Eagles as Gernot Rohr ponders switching to a 3-5-2 formation ahead of their 2018 FIFA World opener against Croatia on the 16th of June, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Echiejile, who came on for Bryan Idowu in Nigeria’s 1-0 defeat to Czech Republic at the Rudolf Tonn Stadium in Austria on Wednesday, told CSN that the team will notdisappoint when they take on Croatia.

“I can play as a left full-back or a left wing-back, as you know football has evolved over time and playing in several positions enhances your versatility in the team,” Echiejile who made his 61st appearance for Nigeria in the defeat told CSN.

“I’m comfortable playing there.
“The game was tough but we will regroup to polish the areas needed to be improved on.
“Either position – as a left-back or a wing-back, that depends on the tactics the manager is deploying for any game.

“I feel we now have a clue on how to face Croatia, looking at their game against Brazil. We won’t disappoint Nigerians in Russia, we just want their full support to ensure we surpass our past achievements at the World Cup.”

Echiejile is also excited he made the final cut for the 2018 FIFA World Cup having missed out on the 2014 World Cup in Russia.

“Most of us were not sure, but I’m happy I made the cut and it’s time to do the nation proud,” he added.

The Super Eagles open their World Cup campaign on 16 June against Croatia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-im-ready-to-play-wing-back-eagles-know-how-to-handle-croatia/

Bros sorry you don't have what it takes to play as a Wing Back. Just hold that bench wey them give you first.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:59am On Jun 08, 2018
safarigirl:
Na so grin
79' Iceland 2-1 Ghana.
The Ghanaians must be a second half team like us cheesy
Game finished 2-2.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:12am On Jun 08, 2018
Icon4s:

Bros sorry you don't have what it takes to play as a Wing Back. Just hold that bench wey them give you first.

I don't knw y...as bad as echiejile is

I still prefer him to idowu cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:18am On Jun 08, 2018
elyte89:

I don't knw y...as bad as echiejile is
I still prefer him to idowu cool
As a Wing back or as a Full back?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:22am On Jun 08, 2018
Changchun Yatai Motivate Ighalo Ahead Of World Cup
June 7, 2018 9:48 pm

Chinese Club Changchun Yatai have backed their Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo to hit top form on the international scene once more after his recent barren spell, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Ighalo extended his goal drought for the Super Eagles to six games after firing blanks in the team’s 1-0 defeat against Czech Republic in a pre-World Cup friendly game on Wednesday.

His last goal for the three-time African champions was against Cameroon in a World Cup Cup qualifying encounter last year where he opened scoring in the 4-0 rout.

“When you are in trouble, tell yourself that it was raining yesterday. Today it is windy. The sun will come out tomorrow.

,” the club tweeted on Thursday with a picture of Ighalo underneath with two Czech Republic players trying to stop him in driving rain.

The former Watford striker has hit the back of the net four times in 18 appearances for Nigeria.

He will look to get on the score sheet again when Nigeria face Croatia in their first Group D game on June 16 at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/changchun-yatai-motivate-ighalo-ahead-of-world-cup/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 6:31am On Jun 08, 2018
Icon4s:

Was just smiling when he said he can play wingback..someone that doesn't even have the gas to overlap in his traditional LB role..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sikells(m): 6:33am On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:
For those thinking that Simmy will be the messiah, I'd rather have my fingers crossed than join the bandwagon.

Chriskels... as in Christian Kelly?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:33am On Jun 08, 2018
Icon4s:

I tell you....he thinks playing a wing role..is a tea cup.
some players talk without thinking....
he should manage that bench role...well because goinh by potentials he don't even merit be on the list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:36am On Jun 08, 2018
Bolowolowo:
Fellow Eagalians, serious question :

Should Rohr start Igahlo for the Croatian game?

My opinion: No
Dude should be glued to the bench....
that guy has never impressed me one bit.
nancho should start instead...because of his good positioning and clinical finish... he can also combine well with iwobi...trouble the crots defense with his good positioning the crots defense may be preoccupied with having him marked...as such gives other players the space to wreck havoc and shot from a distance....players like iwobi,ogu if he gets to start and ndidi....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:39am On Jun 08, 2018
Oasis007:
grin

Humility017 is suffering of Humidity at the Moment. I trust he's gonna come back to his old Sef. He's emotionally down; Today's Match dampens his Faith in Rohr, but I believe he's gonna pick up as soon as possible.
abeg may una leave me bro....
just that rohr make me angry that day....

well the anger don die down...just hope he learns from his mistakes...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naughtytboy: 6:40am On Jun 08, 2018
owbabs:

Then be prepared to crash out of the group stage
we are not crashing out sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:40am On Jun 08, 2018
safarigirl:
i can't find it.
Checked through all my topics and it is missing
Hmm... I suspect one of the mods who is a plastic fan must have done something.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 6:46am On Jun 08, 2018
Icon4s:

Hmm... I suspect one of the mods who is a plastic fan must have done something.
no. If it's in 2014, perhaps it was swept away by the nairaland tsunami then. A lot of monikers and threads went missing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:52am On Jun 08, 2018
ChrisKels:

Oga, no body thinks any player there is a Messiah.

People have lost confidence is Ighalo. They just want to see what Simmy would offer. That's all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:58am On Jun 08, 2018
LieDetector:
no. If it's in 2014, perhaps it was swept away by the nairaland tsunami then. A lot of monikers and threads went missing.

OK yeah....!!!!!

That great psunami that took place the night Nigeria beat Bosnia of course.

Safarigirl there you have it. The great 2014 psunami took away that "plastic fans" post.

Emm..... but can you.... compose another for 2018? We need it desperately.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:12am On Jun 08, 2018
Humility017:

Dude should be glued to the bench....
that guy has never impressed me one bit.
nancho should start instead...because of his good positioning and clinical finish... he can also combine well with iwobi...trouble the crots defense with his good positioning the crots defense may be preoccupied with having him marked...as such gives other players the space to wreck havoc and shot from a distance....players like iwobi,ogu if he gets to start and ndidi....

If Rohr would adopt the 3-5-2 formation I would rather we have Iwobi and Iheanacho upfront. Iwobi to cover from the left wing to the center and also easily joins the midfield but must always be ahead of Mikel who will play directly behind the duo.

Iheanacho is a very deadly finisher but he only needs someone to pair with to wreck havoc.

Iwobi pairing with Iheanacho upfront is the coup I want Rohr to plot against Croatia.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3972) (3973) (3974) (3975) (3976) (3977) (3978) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ajd19, lordofstrings and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.