Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,448 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6732) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11589170 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6729) (6730) (6731) (6732) (6733) (6734) (6735) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 6:59pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:

Just by watching the performance of our local players at WAFU nations cup and CHAN, u can see how poor our league is!! Abysmal performances here and there..that's a reflection of the poor structure of the league...
Mostly its due to poor coaching and the fact that almost all npfl clubs don't have a youth team .they resort to signing players from anywhere, most of whom don't know the basics of modern day football!
A total overhaul of the league is needed!!
make we no lie,it's crap!!
Gbayi Baba yi!
Its a total overhaul! Club administrators, Coaches(God knows what's at NIS bayi), Referees, Equipments etc
I don't know why there's insincerity about the matter.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:11pm On Jul 29, 2019
charlesemeka85:
he is worth to be discussed here than billing who atleast has a nigerian parent abi cool

The thing dey give me special painment anytime you bring his news cry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:28pm On Jul 29, 2019
Odunayaw:
I no see wetin KP play this year neither did I see another talent in their squad. They were average in the abridged league and playoffs, I didn't see the FA. That's by the way sha

Talent beget names baba. Do household names not leave the Brazilian league? Are household names not created afterwards- almost instantaneously?

The way the league is(especially in the last 5yrs), the ration between talent and ordinaries is too small for any noise. This is reality slapping us in the face, however I can agree there is "unseen/perceived" talent being hampered by quality coach, structures etc

Kano played more games in the abridged season than they played the season Lokosa was there. Remember that that season was cut short at the end. They were a talented squad even bofore Lokosa joined and btw there is the exciting David Ebuka that joined them from the university league.

Of course it will always take time compare to Brazil. For one they have constant television coverage which means a star can be made in an instant. Look, it took one goal for Sikiru Olatunbosun to become an overnight celebrity. If that didn't happen on live tv I don't think anyone would have noticed.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:

Just by watching the performance of our local players at WAFU nations cup and CHAN, u can see how poor our league is!! Abysmal performances here and there..that's a reflection of the poor structure of the league...
Mostly its due to poor coaching and the fact that almost all npfl clubs don't have a youth team .they resort to signing players from anywhere, most of whom don't know the basics of modern day football!
A total overhaul of the league is needed!!
make we no lie,it's crap!!

So crap that we won silver in both those competitions and mind u I always said that those were not our best legs. If we have better coaching for our players they won't make some of the primary school mistakes that they make. If the league is poor it all should fall on the administration. This beating up on people who need our help thing is very shady. The cry should be for the players not about the players. We can't send every player abroad and even in these big nations players do fall through the cracks (Mahrez, Griezmann and Kante come to mind) so we have to improve our league and not condemn the only people doing any thing good for our local football.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

So crap that we won silver in both those competitions and mind u I always said that those were not our best legs. If we have better coaching for our players they won't make some of the primary school mistakes that they make. If the league is poor it all should fall on the administration. This beating up on people who need our help thing is very shady. The cry should be for the players not about the players. We can't send every player abroad and even in these big nations players do fall through the cracks (Mahrez, Griezmann and Kante come to mind) so we have to improve our league and not condemn the only people doing any thing good for our local football.
Word sha

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:33pm On Jul 29, 2019
The quality is always there and available in the NPFL but in RAW form.

After all 90% of our national team players started from home before moving abroad for brushing and polishing.

What we lack is unearthing players and giving them the needed polishing here in Nigeria until they go abroad.

For anyone to say the NPFL lacks quality is being short-sighted.

Name most of our players abroad doing well today who weren't born outside Nigeria and I will tell you they migrated from this same NPFL.

When we had fewer options Abroad, we were forced to unearth and make do with those we had here (Pre 2000s).

But when football became a money sport, most players started migrating in droves from this same league for greener pastures because there was a way to do that and our coaches and handlers became lazier in checking for players at home nor having room to groom them since it's easier to do less job/work with those already abroad.

I repeat again, name 90% of current and past Nigeria 23 squad and i will tell you they started from Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:39pm On Jul 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Stephen Odey failed trials but yet he got bought for millions just last month. Failing trials doesn't mean you lack talent. Alhassan Ibrahim failed trials and didn't get signed until he played for akwa united.

For every Stephen odey, there are Tons of others that came back empty handed.

#fact

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2019
timay:

For every Stephen odey, there are Tons of others that came back empty handed.

#fact

That was kind of my point. He came back empty and still made something out of himself so there is hope for some of the others. Would you feed a grown man, pay his flight ticket and hotel bill if he doesn't have talent? The problem is that the agent will want his money back ASAP and that would mean taking the player to the highest bidder.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2019
Biko .... Who removed "The Dawn of a New Era"?

Adding Afcon 2021 and Qatar 2022 does not cancel out the new era's dawn na... Why take it out?

Mikel and Ighalo just retired.... Ogu will follow. We have the rise of Samu, Osimhen, Okereke and co to build on in addition to a fine young bunch of the Super Eagles core.... This team transition really matches the Dawn of a new era caption.... Please add it back! Thanks!

Also I hope you know we would need to have an Olympics 2020 thread.

Cc Terzurum5 and Orkpekyandega

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2019
LZAA:

Rivaldo,aimar,aldair,leonardo,romario,zico
Of course it drained quality in their leagues
Saying players are not good enough is a farce
Pep and cryuff molded barca in their own image
Fergie built team after team at united
A talented player not coached properly is a liablity
If in doubt look at ravel morrison

I have been following your argument. you've got valid points and you've been giving good examples. how about you use national teams coaches as examples to buttress your point??

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Exactly. Add the Olympic bronze medal Siasia won at Rio Olympics with the team made up of NPFL/NNL made players. Atleast 99.5% of that Rio team passed through the NPFL/NNL at a point.

Talents in the Nigerian league are in their raw form. I don't expect to see a world class player in the NPFL but if you're looking for coach able talented players, you will find them, if you have a keen eyes.
Hacks like Colin Udoh have no right to deride NPFL players as if its their fault the Nigerian system is disorganized.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Biko .... Who removed "The Dawn of a New Era"?

Adding Afcon 2021 and Qatar 2022 does not cancel out the new era's dawn na... Why take it out?

Mikel and Ighalo just retired.... Ogu will follow. We have the rise of Samu, Osimhen, Okereke and co to build on in addition to a fine young bunch of the Super Eagles core.... This team transition really matches the Dawn of a new era caption.... Please add it back! Thanks!

Also I hope you know we would need to have an Olympics 2020 thread.

Cc Terzurum5 and Orkpekyandega

TheSupernerd, Icon4s and all other forumites concerned, I have changed the topic to the desired title as opined by you.

Please confirm.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:47pm On Jul 29, 2019
andrew444:

Lol

I just modified because there was typo error, hope you understand i said arsenal is leaving zaha to sign pepe

Are you sure nacho played like pepe? Pepe is a winger ooo

Let me hear from you
At the U17s Iheanacho played from the right wing, always running from right to left just like Pepe . I recall watching him against Mexico where he piped them real hard.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LZAA: 9:53pm On Jul 29, 2019
damagnificentusb:

I have been following your argument. you've got valid points and you've been giving good examples. how about you use national teams coaches as examples to buttress your point??
Cheers bro
Tele santana and rinus michels before him used local players(yes their leagues were quality) to show how to impress and win trophies
Marcelo lippi did the same in 2006 after trap(of all coaches) failed with italy
Lampard went from a 10 goal scoring midfielder to chelsea's all time top scorer
It's not magic
Westerhof dumped all the trouble makers from SE and picked local boys for 1990 afcon and we reached the final
Again about the talent thing holland went frim danny blind,de boer twins to de ligt,van dijk and frenkie de jong
It's not coincidence
U either plan to win or plan to fail

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:18pm On Jul 29, 2019
Thank you Sir Terzurum5.

But you see this dawn begins now and even precedes Afcon 2021.

By Afcon 2021, we will be witnessing most likely a higher metamorphosis of the team into a stronger force if the key things go well.

I think it should be,

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Dawn of a New Era and Roads to Afcon 2021 & Qatar 2022."

Also, we should create an Olympics thread as we did before... Unless the house wants us to include discussions on the Dream Team VII (U-23 Dream Team Eagles) here meaning we have to add Tokyo 2020 too.

terzurum5:

TheSupernerd, Icon4s and all other forumites concerned, I have changed the topic to the desired title as opined by you.

Please confirm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2019
LZAA:

Cheers bro
Tele santana and rinus michels before him used local players(yes their leagues were quality) to show how to impress and win trophies
Marcelo lippi did the same in 2006 after trap(of all coaches) failed with italy
Lampard went from a 10 goal scoring midfielder to chelsea's all time top scorer
It's not magic
Westerhof dumped all the trouble makers from SE and picked local boys for 1990 afcon and we reached the final
A[b]gain about the talent thing holland went frim danny blind,de boer twins to de ligt,van dijk and frenkie de jong[/b]
It's not coincidence
U either plan to win or plan to fail

Oga the dutch league is miles apart from the Nigerian farmers league. There is no basis for comparison

And you're busy comparing the Nigerian league from 1990 to 2019, that's 29 years of backwardness, ineptitude and regression

You have no basis for comparison

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:23pm On Jul 29, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Thank you Sir Terzurum5.

But you see this dawn begins now and even precedes Afcon 2021.

By Afcon 2021, we will be witnessing most likely a higher metamorphosis of the team into a stronger force if the key things go well.

I think it should be,

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Dawn of a New Era and Roads to Afcon 2021 & Qatar 2022."

Also, we should create an Olympics thread as we did before... Unless the house wants us to include discussions on the Dream Team VII (U-23 Dream Team Eagles) here meaning we have to add Tokyo 2020 too.

Its a better idea to discuss all here.

Multiple threads is just too much stress

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:33pm On Jul 29, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Did u miss my second paragraph? I clearly stated that the administration system of the league is the problem...a total overhaul is needed!!
You gave an example of Sikiru Olatunbosun who hit the limelight after his goal was shown on TV..that's the kind of thing the league needs...a TV coverage!! Then a youth team should be formed by every club...that would stop the jaga jaga recruitment process a lot of nplf clubs go through...
Players welfare can come next..

A lot of things need to b done!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2019
somehow:
The quality is always there and available in the NPFL but in RAW form.

After all 90% of our national team players started from home before moving abroad for brushing and polishing.

What we lack is unearthing players and giving them the needed polishing here in Nigeria until they go abroad.

For anyone to say the NPFL lacks quality is being short-sighted.

Name most of our players abroad doing well today who weren't born outside Nigeria and I will tell you they migrated from this same NPFL.

When we had fewer options Abroad, we were forced to unearth and make do with those we had here (Pre 2000s).

But when football became a money sport, most players started migrating in droves from this same league for greener pastures because there was a way to do that and our coaches and handlers became lazier in checking for players at home nor having room to groom them since it's easier to do less job/work with those already abroad.

I repeat again, name 90% of current and past Nigeria 23 squad and i will tell you they started from Nigeria!

In the past, you can argue 90% but that trend is changing rapidly. Our national team is dominated by under 17 players who never played in the league and players from the diaspora.

The quality produced by the league has dropped drastically. Can you compare the likes of Odey and Lokosa to Finidi George, who went straight to a champions league winning side or Amokachi. Look at our performances in Africa.

Coaching is one problem but i do not think scouting is properly done either. Academy players have achieved more success in recent years than NPFL players.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:36pm On Jul 29, 2019
Meanwhile, the South African Messi has joined Club Brugge.. grin ..I'm really curious to see if he can beat Okereke and Bonaventure to a starting shirt grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LZAA: 10:37pm On Jul 29, 2019
darkelf:

Oga the dutch league is miles apart from the Nigerian farmers league. There is no basis for comparison

And you're busy comparing the Nigerian league from 1990 to 2019, that's 29 years of backwardness, ineptitude and regression

You have no basis for comparison
Actually it isn't
Infact the dutch league is the worst(compared to major leagues in europe) in europe(lol)
Ineptitude,regression.surely something can be done to stop this or should we continue to pray and hope
Like a poster said if the banking sector can be reformed why not our FOOTBALL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:39pm On Jul 29, 2019
tbaba1234:

In the past, you can argue 90% but that trend is changing rapidly. Our national team is dominated by under 17 players who never played in the league and players from the diaspora.

The quality produced by the league has dropped drastically. Can you compare the likes of Odey and Lokosa to Finidi George, who went straight to a champions league winning side or Amokachi. Look at our performances in Africa.

Coaching is one problem but i do not think scouting is properly done either. Academy players have achieved more success in recent years than NPFL players.

Gbam!!
either the league is regressing or it's just stagnant.. Football academies in Nigeria are gradually taking over the responsibility of exporting players to Europe!! Simon..Kalu.. Onyekuru.. Ndidi..Iheanacho. Chukwueze..Uzoho are all examples...

The league need overhauling!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:42pm On Jul 29, 2019
darkelf:

Supported 100%... Everything should be discussed here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2019
LZAA:

Actually it isn't
Infact the dutch league is the worst(compared to major leagues in europe) in europe(lol)
Ineptitude,regression.surely something can be done to stop this or should we continue to pray and hope
Like a poster said if the banking sector can be reformed why not our FOOTBALL

the Dutch league is the worst in terms of what exactly?
Abi u are being sarcastic??
A league that has produced 6 champions league winning teams and has always produced some of the world best players!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:
Meanwhile, the South African Messi has joined Club Brugge.. grin ..I'm really curious to see if he can beat Okereke and Bonaventure to a starting shirt grin

but he is a midfielder...anyway...this one club brugge is collecting Africans like confetti.....hum
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:01pm On Jul 29, 2019
Barryseal:

At the U17s Iheanacho played from the right wing, always running from right to left just like Pepe . I recall watching him against Mexico where he piped them real hard.

Oh Okay

Now i get
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:

Okereke is their number 9, tau is a winger, maybe he can beat danjuma grin

Even at kick off they where happy its a good move, and they said they hope he starts

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:

Did u miss my second paragraph? I clearly stated that the administration system of the league is the problem...a total overhaul is needed!!
You gave an example of Sikiru Olatunbosun who hit the limelight after his goal was shown on TV..that's the kind of thing the league needs...a TV coverage!! Then a youth team should be formed by every club...that would stop the jaga jaga recruitment process a lot of nplf clubs go through...
Players welfare can come next..

A lot of things need to b done!!!

Sure I read your full statement but it irked me when you started off your comment with how poor the WAFU and CHAN teams were when in reality those teams overachieved with what they had on ground. Those are back to back finals na.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09pm On Jul 29, 2019
It was not stressful when we did it from 2015 till 2017. Having a defined thread actually helps to keep such threads focused on the title of discourse.

So even if we do create an U-23 thread, I dont think it would be stressful. Besides, these threads are all archived in NL database by sections.

darkelf:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:16pm On Jul 29, 2019
gamaliel9:

but he is a midfielder...anyway...this one club brugge is collecting Africans like confetti.....hum

He plays mostly from the wing..can also play as a 9 .. Okereke, Dennis and Danjuma are the trio leading the attack for now... can he displace them??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:18pm On Jul 29, 2019
Danielnino00:

He plays mostly from the wing..can also play as a 9 .. Okereke, Dennis and Danjuma are the trio leading the attack for now... can he displace them??

Kreppin Diatta says hello from holiday

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:21pm On Jul 29, 2019
Ramon Azeez scored today again, it should be his second goal this pre season

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6729) (6730) (6731) (6732) (6733) (6734) (6735) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: villagereporter(m), DrYa, DOptical, Philosopher1979, komekn(m), HoraCanada(m), skallion7(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.