Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,461 members, 7,854,025 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:40 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10168) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11890816 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10165) (10166) (10167) (10168) (10169) (10170) (10171) ... (16276) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:00am On Jan 19, 2021
Tinneh:

Lol i want to believe ur first line was meant to be an exaggeration right
Fingers still crossed on stones for now

With respect to me watching and what I like to see from defenders. They are certainly my best.

I will like you to list your favorite pair and let me see if they are close to Dias-Stones.

Note, Build up plays, passing long balls, opening for passes, aerial dominance, blocks, tackles, runs with balls, wide area covered etc, must be put in context.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:06am On Jan 19, 2021
chrisooblog:
hi goodjoe hope you are good bro please could you recommend any websites or books on match reading and tactical formations thanks

Like now, this section is golden.

In future games, when a defender is with the ball, I expect the side to press with intensity to cause problems. Blocking channels and passing lines.

Mark the second defender. Mark the midfield pivot, etc. Few games will get you a long way on track.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 11:20am On Jan 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

With respect to me watching and what I like to see from defenders. They are certainly my best.

I will like you to list your favorite pair and let me see if they are close to Dias-Stones.

Note, Build up plays, passing long balls, opening for passes, aerial dominance, blocks, tackles, runs with balls, wide area covered etc, must be put in context.
I didn't mean to discredit ur choice
With the criterias u listed my favourite pairs are
Puyol-pique
Virgil-gomez/matip
Tiago silva-marquinhos
I believe those re better pairs than stones-diaz IMO
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28am On Jan 19, 2021
Tinneh:

Puyol-pique
Virgil-gomez/matip
Tiago silva-marquinhos

I prefer Dias - Stones, especially when it comes to build up plays.

Stones and Dias long range passings are a delight too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:55am On Jan 19, 2021
minfelix:
The on going CHAN tournament is very very shy of goals...all matches ending 1-0 0-0...na wa o
Typical African tournaments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 12:20pm On Jan 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I prefer Dias - Stones, especially when it comes to build up plays.

Stones and Dias long range passings are a delight too.
Not a bad choice
Dias is a beast,he could turn out to be the vvd of mancity in terms of influence on defence

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 12:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
I noticed Wilf's ball control and passes have improved a lot since coming back from injury, seem dude did a lot of work on his ball control and passes, now he needs to add shooting accurately and banks will be broken to get his signature!

As for out U17 am so proud of them and I hope coach Fatai can build on this by strengthening the squad wherever necessary

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
O. Nwobodo start

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:42pm On Jan 19, 2021
It’s France For Me – Reading
Playmaker Olise Shuns Super
Eagles Invitation For AFCON 2022
Qualifiers

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2021/01/19/its-france-for-me-reading-playmaker-olise-shuns-super-eagles-invitation-for-afcon-2022-qualifiers/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:59pm On Jan 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I don’t know this arguement but sorry stones will go back to the bench once Laporte is back grin

Even ake is ahead of stones in the pecking order

But kudos to him for his new found form
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:01pm On Jan 19, 2021
Tinneh:

Puyol-pique
Virgil-gomez/matip
Tiago silva-marquinhos

There will be no stones pair as he isn’t first choice at city ,he should enjoy the moment and prays laporte shouldnt recover ,pep even prefers ake to him

Na here we Dey wey eric García Dey Ahead of am

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Yachambliss(m): 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2021
When is our next game sef

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:50pm On Jan 19, 2021
thanks so much for this very informative.

i don't know if you watched the Arsenal v Crystal Palace game vis a vis the Man City v Crystal Palace match.

Palace adopted the two blocks of four approach why do you think City had more success? was it strictly down to quality or did Arteta fail to notice something that could have been exploited in the Palace defense?

TheGoodJoe:

https://footballbh.net/2020/11/27/uefa-champions-league-2020-21-olympiacos-vs-manchester-city-tactical-analysis-tactics/

Let us work with this link briefly to highlight what I do.

Manchester City vs Olympiacos.

Manchester City is a dominant, possessive and offensive side. Brutal in strength and Olympiacos had to defend.

So in future games, I can expect similar set up and can point out that I expect the team to set up a Greek wall to restrict (who ever is selected to play the offensive) of the stronger side to reduce goals.

So in games with similar scenario, if a team is finding it difficult breaking the wall, I expect to see these two applications to break down the wall.

Then keep pushing for other methods.

For instance, in one of the Chelsea games against PSG, I learnt that a possessive build up to the wings and winning corners can destroy a park bus side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2021
na i disagree. someone that has been a key part of a defense that conceded one goal in 9 games will not be dropped anytime soon.

andrewbaba44:

There will be no stones pair as he isn’t first choice at city ,he should enjoy the moment and prays laporte shouldnt recover ,pep even prefers ake to him

Na here we Dey wey eric García Dey Ahead of am
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2021
yes his passing stats have improved lately. Ndidi was known for his shots when he first started out but can't explain why those seem to have dried up.

I don't even remember him having a shot on target for the SE

oloriooko:
I noticed Wilf's ball control and passes have improved a lot since coming back from injury, seem dude did a lot of work on his ball control and passes, now he needs to add shooting accurately and banks will be broken to get his signature!

As for out U17 am so proud of them and I hope coach Fatai can build on this by strengthening the squad wherever necessary

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:03pm On Jan 19, 2021
chrisooblog:
na i disagree. someone that has been a key part of a defense that conceded one goal in 9 games will not be dropped anytime soon.

If you think stones will bench Laporte who has been city best defender since he arrived then na play you Dey oooo

Stones can only use his form to take García and ake places which I know ake will fight back as stones is prone to error

But you see Laporte ? He is the first man on city defence

Remember mendy played a key part in Leicester city when ndidi was out and many guys here said his has collected ndidi shirt but we all know what happened at last
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2021
guy i get am before no be property. When Laporte gets back the best he would get is to partner Stones in the City defense.

your Mendy comparison can't fly. Mendy was decent but he wasn't dropping Ndidi level numbers for Leicester. Stones performance has been key to helping City climb up the table. if he maintains his current level of performance we are talking of him maybe making team of the season. plus unlike Dutch Sanwo-Olu he doesn't use occasional goal scoring and forming activity to cover up for any defensive lapses.

andrewbaba44:

If you think stones will bench Laporte who has been city best defender since he arrived then na play you Dey oooo

Stones can only use his form to take García and ake places which I know ake will fight back as stones is prone to error

But you see Laporte ? He is the first man on city defence

Remember mendy played a key part in Leicester city when ndidi was out and many guys here said his has collected ndidi shirt but we all know what happened at last

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:47pm On Jan 19, 2021
ok, whats the name of his club and which league?
maidaboi:
O. Nwobodo start
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2021
charlesemeka85:
ok, whats the name of his club and which league?
Goztepe in Turkey and the won by 4 goals

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
ok cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
maidaboi:
Goztepe in Turkey and the won by 4 goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2021
chrisooblog:
thanks so much for this very informative.

i don't know if you watched the Arsenal v Crystal Palace game vis a vis the Man City v Crystal Palace match.

Palace adopted the two blocks of four approach why do you think City had more success? was it strictly down to quality or did Arteta fail to notice something that could have been exploited in the Palace defense?

Actually I think we found an edge to dealing with defensive blocks but in this game I think Guardiola prepared the team to make excellent use of our positioning in the box during set pieces.

The first goal by Stones came from a build up after De Bruyne's corner.

The second goal I think came from a build up after Bernado Silva's corner. Also Gundogan utilising a curling shot in a sea of crystal Palace players which I have pointed out before. If you can take curlers like free kicks, the defensive blocks can be rendered useless.

Stones third goal came from another corner, finishing a rebound from a save of the keeper off a Dias header.

Final goal came from a set piece. But, note the curling shot with a defensive wall rendered useless in a similar scenario.

I think that was our edge and the Arsenal players are still new to the system and the quality of players not yet up to City. With time I see Arsenal having a dangerous team with the system.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2021
chrisooblog:
guy i get am before no be property. When Laporte gets back the best he would get is to partner Stones in the City defense.

your Mendy comparison can't fly. Mendy was decent but he wasn't dropping Ndidi level numbers for Leicester. Stones performance has been key to helping City climb up the table. if he maintains his current level of performance we are talking of him maybe making team of the season. plus unlike Dutch Sanwo-Olu he doesn't use occasional goal scoring and forming activity to cover up for any defensive lapses.

Lol and you think say dem go drop Dias abi

Abeg my ndidi comparison can fly unless you are among the people who said that grin

Oga there is no day Laporte have been bad so your i get am before no be property no connect to this talk at all ,person wey no no man city wey see your comment go think Laporte na bad player

You fall my hand to refer laporte to I get am before ,dude Issa beast anytime he plays and has been a starter from day one

Stone might have gotten the nod ahead of ake and Garcia,same stone that almost ran to spurs,someone that a 19 year old was preferred ahead of him last season

No worry we Dey here ,try remind me sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:58pm On Jan 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

I don’t know this arguement but sorry stones will go back to the bench once Laporte is back grin

Even ake is ahead of stones in the pecking order

But kudos to him for his new found form

Not the current Stones. It is not just about defending but synergy with the team. Stones passing has been a big edge to the team, although Laporte is also a good passer. I actually foresee Laporte moving to the left back role and knowing off Zinchenko and Mendy.

So during attack we will have a three man wall. With Laporte, Dias and Stones. In this formation, I see Rodri dropped to give the midfield pace.

However, Ruben Dias and Stones partnership seem here to stay. Laporte will be second choice or might play on the left or deep Midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:12pm On Jan 19, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Not the current Stones. It is not just about defending but synergy with the team. Stones passing has been a big edge to the team, although Laporte is also a good passer. I actually foresee Laporte moving to the left back role and knowing off Zinchenko and Mendy.

So during attack we will have a three man wall. With Laporte, Dias and Stones. In this formation, I see Rodri dropped to give the midfield pace.

However, Ruben Dias and Stones partnership seem here to stay. Laporte will be second choice or might play on the left or deep Midfield.

Laporte will be second choice the best city CB ?

No worry na here we Dey ,una Dey quick forget things
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by geonyte(m): 5:39pm On Jan 19, 2021
Nwakeme with a goal for tranzaspor

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2021
Olayinka scored today

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:41pm On Jan 19, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Laporte will be second choice the best city CB ?

No worry na here we Dey ,una Dey quick forget things
Good season so far, all this cement, stones etc no consign me. For me, the best players in the EPl this season so far are
Edouard Mendy
Lamptey
Ajayi
Adarabioyo
Aina
Ndidi
Eze
Iwobi
Mane
Auba
Look man
Others deserving of a good mention are: Bernard Traore, anguissa, bissoma, partey, bailly, djenepo, stella. Na me talk am fa.
Jah bless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:43pm On Jan 19, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Good season so far, all this cement, stones etc no consign me. For me, the best players in the EPl this season so far are
Edouard Mendy
Lamptey
Ajayi
Adarabioyo
Aina
Ndidi
Eze
Iwobi
Mane
Auba
Look man
Others deserving of a good mention are: Bernard Traore, anguissa, bissoma, partey, bailly, djenepo, stella. Na me talk am fa.
Jah bless.

Lol bad guy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:21pm On Jan 19, 2021
Ndidi scores

He scored against Chelsea last season if I am not mistaken grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
Ndidi scores.. Surprisingly cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CornOak(m): 9:22pm On Jan 19, 2021
Indidi scores. cool

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:23pm On Jan 19, 2021
Ndidi scores

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10165) (10166) (10167) (10168) (10169) (10170) (10171) ... (16276) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dezgadgetcity(m), minfelix(m), kellycute(m), wayodude(m), DrYa, BankyGee(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.