Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10396) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11596135 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10393) (10394) (10395) (10396) (10397) (10398) (10399) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:09pm On Mar 29, 2021
Subzero047:
Aguero will be leaving Man city at the end of the season

I wonder how long it will take for him to tell us Pep is a jerk cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:35am On Mar 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Former England U21 skipper Nedum Onuoha has claimed that he did not turn down the opportunity to play for the Nigeria national teams, and has explained why he didn't accept a call-up to play for the Super Eagles fourteen years ago.

Born in Warri but raised in England, the Manchester City academy product was contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation in the weeks leading up to the 2010 World Cup but he shunned their advances.

Former Super Eagles manager Shuaibu Amodu also tried to persuade the dual-eligible center back to switch his allegiance from England to Nigeria in 2009 but was unsuccessful.

German manager Berti Vogts, who coached the Super Eagles 2007-2008, named Onuoha in his first provisional squad in 2007, only for the player to decline the invitation.

In an Instagram Live session with our colleagues Team Nigeria UK, Onuoha explained : "For the first five years of my career, I played for the U20s and U21s of England and the only time I got a call up for Nigeria in my career was from Berti Vogts when he was manager and this was in 2010.

"I got a call up from him saying he wanted me for the AFCON and at that time Roberto Mancini had just become manager at Man City and I was out of his plans and Berti was calling just before the turn of the year.

"This was the first time it happened that I wasn’t part of the first team. I didn’t want to leave and I was worried about leaving for AFCON and having nothing when I come back because people say this is a shop window, it raises your profile and for some people it’s not the case."

Onuoha revealed that he is proud of his Nigerian heritage and to buttress his point, the 34-year-old sensationally claimed that he never sang England's national team whilst on Young Lions duty.

"At the time I was 24 years old, this is what I’m thinking cause I was honest with Berti that I wanted to do it but it wasn’t just the right time.

"From that exact moment, nobody from Nigeria called me again and I was hearing from everywhere that I had turned Nigeria to beg for England.

" But if you look at it anything the media has said wasn’t true and to add to it I know my identity and I was honored to represent England but anytime I got to play for England I would never sing the anthem because I know my home is somewhere else.

"So I appreciated what I was doing and I was given because I’ve the British passport but I always have the green passport and playing for Nigeria is something I’ve always wanted to d," Onuoha concluded.
This dude needs to shut up already. Berti Vogts wasn't even our coach in 2010, it was Amodu.
The Mugu only started getting interested when he was all washed up in QPR so he could get crash the 2014 WC squad.
Just say you have regrets and move on...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:38am On Mar 30, 2021
Rohr says there will be little or no change to the team that will face Lesotho as he's already preparing for the June games against Liberia and CAR
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2021
mostob:
Where you wan put Henry and Suarez
Are you kidding me ?

I said best epl striker ever and I didn’t mean he was a better player than them

You get mind call suarez wey no win epl

Agüero got more goals and more epl trophies than igwe Henry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:54am On Mar 30, 2021
jihday:
Rohr says there will be little or no change to the team that will face Lesotho as he's already preparing for the June games against Liberia and CAR

I'll like Uzoho to start..
Okoye shouldn't feel too relaxed that he is now the first choice...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 6:57am On Mar 30, 2021
Danielnino00:

I'll like Uzoho to start..
Okoye shouldn't feel too relaxed that he is now the first choice...

And Ebuehi. Rohr should try some other players since we've already qualified

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:08am On Mar 30, 2021
DrLikita12:

And Ebuehi. Rohr should try some other players since we've already qualified

Agreed..
In fact, he can retain the midfield and attack.. I want to see a new defense starting.. Let's see what some of the surplus defenders can offer..so we can know who should be dropped ahead of the next international break to make way for some more midfielders.. This habit of calling up 10 defenders doesn't make sense again..We need fresh legs in midfield...

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:43am On Mar 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Are you kidding me ?

I said best epl striker ever and I didn’t mean he was a better player than them

You get mind call suarez wey no win epl

Agüero got more goals and more epl trophies than igwe Henry
You sha like contradicting yourself. SMH
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:46am On Mar 30, 2021
mostob:
You sha like contradicting yourself. SMH

Ok
My bad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:56am On Mar 30, 2021
Danielnino00:

I'll like Uzoho to start.. Okoye shouldn't feel too relaxed that he is now the first choice...
Exactly. I'm sure rohr won't be that stupid to still start Okoye.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 7:58am On Mar 30, 2021
Today's match will be parte after parte

We have nothing to lose, Lesotho has nothing to gain. Love the combination.

Sierra Leone and Benin Republic can kill themselves. We'll congratulate the winnergrin

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00am On Mar 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Former England U21 skipper Nedum Onuoha has claimed that he did not turn down the opportunity to play for the Nigeria national teams, and has explained why he didn't accept a call-up to play for the Super Eagles fourteen years ago.

Born in Warri but raised in England, the Manchester City academy product was contacted by the Nigeria Football Federation in the weeks leading up to the 2010 World Cup but he shunned their advances.

Former Super Eagles manager Shuaibu Amodu also tried to persuade the dual-eligible center back to switch his allegiance from England to Nigeria in 2009 but was unsuccessful.

German manager Berti Vogts, who coached the Super Eagles 2007-2008, named Onuoha in his first provisional squad in 2007, only for the player to decline the invitation.

In an Instagram Live session with our colleagues Team Nigeria UK, Onuoha explained : "For the first five years of my career, I played for the U20s and U21s of England and the only time I got a call up for Nigeria in my career was from Berti Vogts when he was manager and this was in 2010.

"I got a call up from him saying he wanted me for the AFCON and at that time Roberto Mancini had just become manager at Man City and I was out of his plans and Berti was calling just before the turn of the year.

"This was the first time it happened that I wasn’t part of the first team. I didn’t want to leave and I was worried about leaving for AFCON and having nothing when I come back because people say this is a shop window, it raises your profile and for some people it’s not the case."

Onuoha revealed that he is proud of his Nigerian heritage and to buttress his point, the 34-year-old sensationally claimed that he never sang England's national team whilst on Young Lions duty.

"At the time I was 24 years old, this is what I’m thinking cause I was honest with Berti that I wanted to do it but it wasn’t just the right time.

"From that exact moment, nobody from Nigeria called me again and I was hearing from everywhere that I had turned Nigeria to beg for England.

" But if you look at it anything the media has said wasn’t true and to add to it I know my identity and I was honored to represent England but anytime I got to play for England I would never sing the anthem because I know my home is somewhere else.

"So I appreciated what I was doing and I was given because I’ve the British passport but I always have the green passport and playing for Nigeria is something I’ve always wanted to d," Onuoha concluded.

Ogbeni goan sit down somewhere. Who you wan deceive with this crap.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:02am On Mar 30, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Today's match will be parte after parte

We have nothing to lose, Lesotho has nothing to gain. Love the combination.

Sierra Leone and Benin Republic can kill themselves. We'll congratulate the winnergrin

We need to win so as to boost our ranking ahead of the WCQ draws wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:05am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

Of coursewink Osimhen hasn't scored, Iheanacho hasn't. Onuachu still wants to further prove his worth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:09am On Mar 30, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Of coursewink Osimhen hasn't scored, Iheanacho hasn't. Onuachu still wants to further prove his worth.
Yes o. And the competition for our player of the year has also begun. wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 8:10am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

I thought the draws are out already
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:24am On Mar 30, 2021
Samueltemi337:
I thought the draws are out already

Yeah that's true. cheesy

My bad. This long period without international football has really eroded some information from one's mind. Can't wait for the qualitlfiers to begin Jare.

Nigeria
Liberia
Central African Republic
Cape Verde
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:27am On Mar 30, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

I wonder how long it will take for him to tell us Pep is a jerk cheesy

Never happening undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

Yeah that's true. cheesy

My bad. This long period without international football has really eroded some information from one's mind. Can't wait for the qualitlfiers to be begin Jare.

Nigeria
Liberia
Central African Republic
Cape Verde

We will qualify with 2 games to spare.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:44am On Mar 30, 2021
Truidstar:

We will qualify with 2 games to spare.

Because Rohr don spoil us abi? grin No more calculators and permutations and wishing for someone to lose somewhere so that we can win by 2 or 3 goals margin to qualify grin grin grin grin

Anyways that's not the final qualifying round. We have to play the winner of another group on a home and away basis to qualify for the world cup. Na the potential big qualifier be that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 8:53am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

Because Rohr don spoil us abi? grin No more calculators and permutations and wishing for someone to lose somewhere so that we can win by 2 or 3 goals margin to qualify grin grin grin grin

Anyways that's not the final qualifying round. We have to play the winner of another group on a home and away basis to qualify for the world cup. Na the potential big qualifier be that.
We really need to give kudos to rohr sha...

D only reason why some of us can still complain is that the man has taken us to the point where qualifying for competitions are no longer subject to prayers and maths....its now a given,...now we are just so used to it that we expect to be world beaters...and we totally can sha...my only concern is regression if rohr is dropped

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2021
Iwobi tested negative.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:07am On Mar 30, 2021
Its a shame Benin republic had to alter iwobis covid 19 result to negative so as to make him unavailable for that match..
very sad indeed.. Africa and cheat.smh

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:08am On Mar 30, 2021
Imagine this squad bikonu cry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:13am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

Omo this one hard
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:16am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

We are likely to meet Cameroon or Ivory coast in the next round

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:24am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

With the quality of stars we have now, even Goodjoe, Icon4s, Supernerd, Andree44 would esily qualify us without stress, nothing too special about that, so don't make it a Rohr thing. If Rohr had met us when we had only Mikel and Yobo as our quality players, we would not be qualifying for any tourney at all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:26am On Mar 30, 2021
Samueltemi337:
We are likely to meet Cameroon or Ivory coast in the next round

I don't think Cameron is good enough to qualify from their group.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:29am On Mar 30, 2021
nairalandankrah:
Its a shame Benin republic had to alter iwobis covid 19 result to negative so as to make him unavailable for that match..
very sad indeed.. Africa and cheat.smh

Is that how they want us to believe covid-19 is real?... especially here in Africa?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:32am On Mar 30, 2021
Rohr has been qualifying us to tournaments with games to spare and all has been on group stage format basis, we hope he will be able to do the "keshi" thing this time around base on the 2legs home and away final qualifiers...I hope he can do it ooo baba God!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mowah: 10:05am On Mar 30, 2021
Icon4s:

Very key, especially the playoff draws

(1) (2) (3) ... (10393) (10394) (10395) (10396) (10397) (10398) (10399) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Curtisaxel17 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.