Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11709370 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10396) (10397) (10398) (10399) (10400) (10401) (10402) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:41pm On Mar 30, 2021
minfelix:
According to current FIFA ranking, I decided to do my own draws for final round of qualifiers grin grin i.e I predicted those that will qualify from each group and did a pairing top 5 vs top 10

Senegal vs Egypt
Tunisia vs Cameroon
Algeria vs Ghana
Morocco vs Mali
Nigeria vs DRC

If this is how it would be whats your view..who go qualify?
.let the fever begin grin cheesy

Is the draw for the final rounds of qualifiers going to be based on FIFA ranking??
I thought it would be random selection
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:44pm On Mar 30, 2021
Djangote:
Football reasons why Nigeria can not break up
https://goaldball.com/2021/03/30/the-super-eagles-as-a-vestige-of-nigerias-unity/
Good points but that didn't stop USSR and Yugoslavia from breaking up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 1:46pm On Mar 30, 2021
mowah:

Thank God they are in the same group, so the risk is minimized. As long as it’s not Senegal, Egypt, Algeria or Tunisia we will be fine. Still have a feeling a minor country will shock everyone and qualify for the World Cup next year

I prefer Tunisia or Egypt to Ivory Coast, though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 1:51pm On Mar 30, 2021
Djangote:
Football reasons why Nigeria can not break up
https://goaldball.com/2021/03/30/the-super-eagles-as-a-vestige-of-nigerias-unity/
Even if football was not there. Nigeria won't break up. It takes a lot to break up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 2:02pm On Mar 30, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
My brother, by African standards, that squad is sexy.

But I believe we can beat them clean. We play one of most matured football on the continent.

Fair enough when you contextualise it like that. But I'll go through all the players one by one for us here ....I'll drop my comments in parts ...

Let's go!

Haller - big money West Ham misfit who with the benefit of hindsight they would wish they never made. He even admitted himself he couldn't cut it in the premier League. Thanks for the honesty Seb, but we already figured out that one. Okay so he now plays for Ajax and has managed a couple of goals but he isn't a first rate £40m striker any day of the week really, is he? To conclude on this one, if he was Nigerian he would probably get a call-up based on the fact he plays for Ajax but based on ability and contribution on the pitch he would at best be on the bench.

Pepe - Skillful winger without end product most of the time which makes him run-off the mill. This summary might sound harsh but I think is fully justified on the basis of the last 2 seasons. Just like west ham, arsenal were suckered into parting with £70m for his services, with the hope that he could replicate his League 1 form in the prem. They are still waiting....We have seen plenty like him who appear to have all it takes to be that clutch player that makes the difference. They always seem on the brink of reaching those heights but then they don't. Familiarly over the years we have seen a few of those in the super eagles. He may still come good though but I don't particularly get sacred by the sight of him. Do you?

Zaha - on his day he is world class he has shown the capability to carry his team on countless occasions. He is a legit threat to any defence. Now the problem. In 3 out of 10 games he is like Prime Eden Hazard and in the other 7 games he is ala Simon Moses in a random mid season fixture away to Strasbourg. Good player though. Will likely start for super eagles based on reputation and reputation only.

Diallo - Granted he is a young exciting talent but he's only played 123 mins of big boy footie. Is he in the team because he plays for United? In my humble opinion, from a player profile perspective he is on the same level as our own Shoretire albeit with an African passport handy .....but Shoretire is no where near our team! The potential is there though.

Sangare - There is a word we throw around here which I don't like at all but now I unfortunately have to use ...that word is average. Sangare is a steady eddy kind of midfielder who doesn't bring anything spectacular to the team but is a good to have around anyway. Not much to add. Cannot displace Ndidi but may compete with the others in our squad.

To be continued....

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:25pm On Mar 30, 2021
Subzero047:

Hmm it seems they released him one or two years before they should but they did same to Kompany, David Silva it seems to be Man city's policy

Was it the policy before Pep came
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:34pm On Mar 30, 2021
Pepe over Kalu, Henry and Simon And Zaha over Chuks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:38pm On Mar 30, 2021
Danielnino00:

Is the draw for the final rounds of qualifiers going to be based on FIFA ranking??
FIFA ranking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 2:39pm On Mar 30, 2021
Danielnino00:

Yes oo based on FIFA ranking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by owbabs: 2:48pm On Mar 30, 2021
minfelix:

Yes oo based on FIFA ranking

So how does it work?
1. Top 5 vs bottom 5 (1 vs 10, 2 vs 9, etc)
2. Top 5 seeded vs bottom 5 random draw
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:55pm On Mar 30, 2021
maidaboi:

This one no need arguement self

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 3:07pm On Mar 30, 2021
Super Eagles and Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi has been ranked as 13th best player in the world for the first quarter of 2021 by the highly respected CIES Football Observatory.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 3:11pm On Mar 30, 2021
maidaboi:
Yeah, Kalu ain't even a starter. Henry over Chuks, Which Henry pls?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Was it the policy before Pep came

Well condisering they had board changes before Pep came it may or may not be his policy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:15pm On Mar 30, 2021
wayodude:

Fair enough when you contextualise it like that. But I'll go through all the players one by one for us here ....I'll drop my comments in parts ...

Let's go!

Haller - big money West Ham misfit who with the benefit of hindsight they would wish they never made. He even admitted himself he couldn't cut it in the premier League. Thanks for the honesty Seb, but we already figured out that one. Okay so he now plays for Ajax and has managed a couple of goals but he isn't a first rate £40m striker any day of the week really, is he? To conclude on this one, if he was Nigerian he would probably get a call-up based on the fact he plays for Ajax but based on ability and contribution on the pitch he would at best be on the bench.

Pepe - Skillful winger without end product most of the time which makes him run-off the mill. This summary might sound harsh but I think is fully justified on the basis of the last 2 seasons. Just like west ham, arsenal were suckered into parting with £70m for his services, with the hope that he could replicate his League 1 form in the prem. They are still waiting....We have seen plenty like him who appear to have all it takes to be that clutch player that makes the difference. They always seem on the brink of reaching those heights but then they don't. Familiarly over the years we have seen a few of those in the super eagles. He may still come good though but I don't particularly get sacred by the sight of him. Do you?

Zaha - on his day he is world class he has shown the capability to carry his team on countless occasions. He is a legit threat to any defence. Now the problem. In 3 out of 10 games he is like Prime Eden Hazard and in the other 7 games he is ala Simon Moses in a random mid season fixture away to Strasbourg. Good player though. Will likely start for super eagles based on reputation and reputation only.

To be continued....

Zaha and Pepe start for the Super Eagles, what do you mean reputation only grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:18pm On Mar 30, 2021
Zaha has 9 goals and 3 assists playing for Crystal Palace in the premier league, he would be out best player wtf grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:19pm On Mar 30, 2021
Subzero047:

Zaha and Pepe start for the Super Eagles, what do you mean reputation only grin

Maybe...but they certainly don't walk into the team AND that again is based on their profile rather than ability.

Also bear in mind these are arguably their best players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 3:19pm On Mar 30, 2021
wayodude:

Let's go!

To be continued....

Zaha will start for the eagles. Pepe might as well, his problem might be confidence. Iwobi was starting for Nigeria when he was struggling with arsenal. As for Haller, I've not really watched him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:37pm On Mar 30, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Zaha will start for the eagles. Pepe might as well, his problem might be confidence. Iwobi was starting for Nigeria when he was struggling with arsenal. As for Haller, I've not really watched him

Zaha and Nicolas pepe will start for the eagles

Wily bolly and Eric Bailey will also start at eagles defense grin

Aurier will also start at eagles

Zaidu sanusi is better than all their left backs

Frank kessie will also start for eagles

Jean akpa Akpro of lazio nko ? Maybe we can argue this

Iheanacho osimhen over any of their CF

I will also take our GKs over theirs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

This one no need arguement self
Ndidi, Osimhen and Zaidu are the only players that can break into that line up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Jamilu Collins is better than all their left backs

yea but i think we have more dept than them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:46pm On Mar 30, 2021
maidaboi:
yea but i think we have more dept than them

Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:48pm On Mar 30, 2021
wayodude:

Maybe...but they certainly don't walk into the team AND that again is based on their profile rather than ability.

Also bear in mind these are arguably their best players.

Are they better than the players we have?? Yes, they walk into the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:49pm On Mar 30, 2021
Ndidi rated as Leicester best player so far....

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 3:53pm On Mar 30, 2021
maidaboi:

Henry over Pepe,
Chuks over Zaha.

Argue until your tongue drops to the floor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2021
edi287:

Lol you really believe that?? Someone confirmed the rumors I heard about Idah Peterside approaching him and his reply was that "he doesn't feel Nigerian".
He needs to stop this already. He wasn't interested then and it's okay...

You have a big point.

I remember the don't feel Nigerian talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2021
Does anyone have a link?
Other than hesgoal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 4:00pm On Mar 30, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Yeah, Kalu ain't even a starter. Henry over Chuks, Which Henry pls?

Kalu isn't a starter??.

It's only because of Injuries he has missed a lot of games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 4:00pm On Mar 30, 2021
**AIT to show match...
Tickets already sold out
Nigeria Vs Lesotho Lineup
Nigeria XI (4-3-3): uzoho; Ebuehi; Balogun, Troost-Ekong, Sanusi, Ndidi, iwobi, etebo , Osimhen, Iheanacho, Chukwueze..
Good luck
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:01pm On Mar 30, 2021
Meliforme:

Henry over Pepe,
Chuks over Zaha.

Argue until your tongue drops to the floor

Nice joke
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 4:02pm On Mar 30, 2021
CIES best players of the first quarter of 2021

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 4:06pm On Mar 30, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Zaidu sanusi is better than all their left backs

Kpom

You no dey suger coat things jare. We probably edge them based on depth sha

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10396) (10397) (10398) (10399) (10400) (10401) (10402) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla, Joebie and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.