Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10477) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11723263 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10474) (10475) (10476) (10477) (10478) (10479) (10480) ... (16168) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:04pm On Apr 10, 2021
Icon4s:

That is age Grade, where Africa has won it all: U17, U20, U23.

The senior world cup is a different ball game. You need more than luck to even qualify not to talk of winning.

For you to win the World Cup, generally, you need nothing less than 8-10years of strategic planning which will also involve football Development across the country and that includes massive talents discovery and infrastructural development. Your national team needs to be rated among the best for a number of years and yours players need to be playing in some of the best clubs around the world for over a number of years also.

You need an assemblage of great players and a great team to win the WC.

Based on what you have listed and even going by your logic, the likelihood of an African team winning the world cup is 0 to None. So, why are people even enthusiastic about a tournament that an African team will never Win? Next year when the tournament is over we will be celebrating another European or South American team winning
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:09pm On Apr 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Senegal weren’t unlucky but careless

I can agree with Morocco due to their group and I watched how they play

Senegal where doing like school boys with all the talents there

Senegal went out due to yellow cards how is that not luck related?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
Ppogbae:
Umar Sadiq in Bayern Munich transfer shock as Rangers flop eyed for big money move

The Nigerian striker was a major flop in Glasgow but could be on his way to one of the world's biggest clubs.

Umar Sadiq flopped at Rangers but has been linked with a big money move to Germany

Umar Sadiq is being lined up by German giants Bayern Munich for a big-money summer move, according to a report.

The Nigerian striker was a major flop at Rangers and is best remembered in Glasgow for diving instead of tapping the ball into the net during the Betfred Cup semi-final defeat to Aberdeen in 2018.

It was the only star Sadiq made in his Rangers career with Alfredo Morelos suspended and Kyle Lafferty cup-tied during Steven Gerrard's first season at the club.

He was shipped back to Roma in the January after failing to impress, with Gerrard heavily critical of him in press conferences during the season.

He moved onto Partizan Belgrade before joining Spanish second tier side Almeria last summer.

The 24-year-old has impressed while in Spain with 17 goals in 32 games this season, and has reportedly attracted the interest of Bayern Munich.

Spanish outlet AS say the German giants are very interested in him, but Almeria aren't willing to listen to offers and will only accept his release clause.

That means Bayern would need to splash an eye-watering €60million at a minimum, up to €80m if Almeria earn promotion to the top flight.

Sadiq was a major flop at Ibrox, but has turned his career around and could end up playing alongside Robert Lewandowski if this deal happens.

Source: GlasgowLive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/umar-sadiq-bayern-munich-transfer-20340089.amp
Choupo-moting was a flop at Stoke but have gone on to play for both PSG and Bayern

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:24pm On Apr 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Bang average
Below average sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Let us get the luck first. We have had only one lucky moment since 1998 which was Dzeko's goal getting cancelled in 2014.
Senegal and Morocco were unlucky at the last world cup.

My brother, you cannot really on Luck.With VAR now in place you can hardly get away with such decisions no more.
You prepare first and get an excellent team then you hope for luck where needed. Not to hope on luck first.

Talking about Senegal and Morocco how where they unlucky last world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:28pm On Apr 10, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Twenty-four-year-old striker Sadiq Umar will break several transfer records should he soon move for a staggering 80 million Euros.

Reports said one of the striker’s admirers, Bayern Munich, are willing to pay as much as 60 million Euros.

However, Almeria could make 20 million Euros more should they gain promotion to La Liga and hold on to him for another season.

His contract with Almeria is still June 30, 2025.

The other side of the calculation is that if they failed to win promotion, they may well have to sell him for only 30 million Euros.

Almeria have now slipped to third on the table, but remain in the promotion playoffs bracket, five points behind second-placed Mallorca, who occupy the other automatic promotion slot along with leaders Espanyol.

There are at least nine rounds of matches still to be played, however.
Nobody will pay 80 60 not even 40 for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2021
12large1:

Based on what you have listed and even going by your logic, the likelihood of an African team winning the world cup is 0 to None. So, why are people even enthusiastic about a tournament that an African team will never Win? Next year when the tournament is over we will be celebrating another European or South American team winning

Not that chance of an African team winning the world cup is not absolutely zero. It is just unrealistically low.

About enthusiasm, every team taking part in the world cup is always enthusiastic. Expectations for each team only varies. While some are expecting their team to win, some are expecting a top 4 finish. While some like Nigeria are hoping to break the 2nd round exit jinx, some are even praying to get out of the group Stage.
Some teams are even only excited to participate, irrespective of how they would perform.

For me, my enthusiasm is always high for every world Cup. And also, in a bid not to spoil my fun I look forward to watching a great world cup not just watching only Nigeria. My enthusiasm is such that I take my annual leave during the World Cup, so irrespective of any time of the day any game is played I don't miss it. Cos I watch nearly every game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:37pm On Apr 10, 2021
12large1:

You don't understand the politics involved in world cup brother. First of all, Most European countries has a developed economy and the biggest clubs in the world. Their allegiance is towards their own. Their players get signed to the best clubs in the world and play at the best leagues in the world. During the world cup, it's clear and evident. You won't understand but personally I'm not enthusiastic about the world cup anymore and I am tired of SA/EU team keep winnings
No politics boss, una no just sabi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:40pm On Apr 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Meaning they could have gone ahead to win the world cup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
Below average sef

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Thanks for reminding me

I just remembered that they where tied in same points with Japan and the yellow card rules kicked them out there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
No politics boss, una no just sabi

Simple
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

with that team they should be beating Japan and not draw, they made their own luck
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 1:12pm On Apr 10, 2021
About winning the world cup, there's a trend we haven't noticed.

Team Cohesion

Since 2006 World cup, we have noticed how the local leagues of different countries have played pivotal role in their successes.

European countries have been so successful even more than south american countries known to have dominated the world cup.

European countries try to have their national team players in 3-4 local club side where they can play together week-in week-out. Imagine have your 3 midfielders play together and build strong bond overtime like the case of Busquet, Xavi, and Iniesta.

Unfortunately in Africa, our players are scattered around different clubs and leagues.

This may sound funny but I can tell you that Nigeria will stand a better chance, if we can look around our local league and get backline that have played together for long, same as midfielder, and attack line.

That's why Egypt is the most successful in Africa, most of their players come from their local league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:25pm On Apr 10, 2021
lloydtruth:

Honestly in this case I am. Not because Bayern Munich is so big for Sadiq but because I don't see Bayern Munich as a club that can give Sadiq a fair chance. I prefer him playing regularly at Sevilla and winning little or no trophy than winning plenty trophies while sitting on Bayern Munich bench.
Between the two links, I think that of Sevilla stands more realistic but it needs the Bayern Munich speculations to speed up the process.

Not too long ago, last season B.Dortmund payed £25million for a teenager from the Championship (farmers league) according to quite a few ill informed here. His name is Jude Bellingham, not only has he claimed position but has been called to England senior squad and he is still only 17 , all in one season.

If Sadiq is true quality he will claim position and very soon displace Osimhen, Ighalo and any others. But if he is not , then he will be found out very quickly.

True quality does not hide or hibernate.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:30pm On Apr 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

My problem is when I prove u wrong u will act like u don't see my quotes. So what is the point answering u Abeg shift sad

Wrong or Right with regards to football is mostly a matter of opnion.

You have yours , I have mine.

Who is RIGHT is a question open to never ending debate, particularly by those who lack knowledge.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:36pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
Nobody will pay 80 60 not even 40 for him
TRUE
Its should be 20 to 30 max
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:38pm On Apr 10, 2021
Icon4s:

My brother, you cannot really on Luck.With VAR now in place you can hardly get away with such decisions no more.
You prepare first and get an excellent team then you hope for luck where needed. Not to hope on luck first.

Talking about Senegal and Morocco how where they unlucky last world cup.

Var was there when Iheanacho was kicked on top of the head by rojo, also there for Rojo's hand ball

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:40pm On Apr 10, 2021
Icon4s:

Meaning they could have gone ahead to win the world cup?

Neither of us can tell the future. All I know is they were unlucky to get put out in the first place

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:44pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
with that team they should be beating Japan and not draw, they made their own luck

That does not mean anything. Spain lost to Switzerland (i think) at the beginning of the 2010 world cup but still won the whole thing. Plus they did not play what they were really capable of. I think with Senegal it is more of a mentality issue. If they can jell immediately they start a tournament they will be a problem.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:45pm On Apr 10, 2021
komekn:

Not too long ago, last season B.Dortmund payed £25million for a teenager from the Championship (farmers league) according to quite a few ill informed here. His name is Jude Bellingham, not only has he claimed position but has been called to England senior squad and he is still only 17 , all in one season.

If Sadiq is true quality he will claim position and very soon displace Osimhen, Ighalo and any others. But if he is not , then he will be found out very quickly.

True quality does not hide or hibernate.

So because a teenager was purchased for 25 million euros from the championship doesn’t make it a farmers league right ?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 1:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
Choupo-moting was a flop at Stoke but have gone on to play for both PSG and Bayern
I'll have to disagree with you, he did well for Stoke and was their second highest goal scorer with 5, behind Shaqiri with 8 in a very poor side that eventually ended up relegated. Secondly he has never been sold to any clubside as all of his clubs he played for he joined them as free agents. His case is different from Sadiq

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 1:55pm On Apr 10, 2021
Transfermarkt valued Sadiq Umar at €8m. But Almeria put him at a staggering €80m base on regaining topflight status. Anything can happen its european football. Just wondering, what will a player like say Patson Daka valued at €20m by transfermarkt be valued by RB Salzburg?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:20pm On Apr 10, 2021
lloydtruth:

Team Cohesion

Since 2006 World cup, we have noticed how the local leagues of different countries have played pivotal role in their successes.

European countries have been so successful even more than south american countries known to have dominated the world cup.

European countries try to have their national team players in 3-4 local club side where they can play together week-in week-out. Imagine have your 3 midfielders play together and build strong bond overtime like the case of Busquet, Xavi, and Iniesta.

Unfortunately in Africa, our players are scattered around different clubs and leagues.

This may sound funny but I can tell you that Nigeria will stand a better chance, if we can look around our local league and get backline that have played together for long, same as midfielder, and attack line.

That's why Egypt is the most successful in Africa, most of their players come from their local league.

This still falls back to planning, football development and the Economy.
The local league is what it is because the league lacks the resources to keep and produce the best players for the national team.
If players in Nigeria can earn as much as players in Europe do, and if Nigeria's Economy is nearly as good as what we have in Europe, then we stand a chance of having our best legs playing in Nigeria.

You are right about team cohesion. It is very vital, but can better be achieved when players play together in same team or similar league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2021
lloydtruth:

Honestly in this case I am. Not because Bayern Munich is so big for Sadiq but because I don't see Bayern Munich as a club that can give Sadiq a fair chance. I prefer him playing regularly at Sevilla and winning little or no trophy than winning plenty trophies while sitting on Bayern Munich bench.
Between the two links, I think that of Sevilla stands more realistic but it needs the Bayern Munich speculations to speed up the process.

If we are to be sincere with the strikers at Sevilla sadiq can’t play regular there

But anything is possible

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:47pm On Apr 10, 2021
lloydtruth:

Team Cohesion

France says this your theory isn't true, of the 9 ligue 1 players in the squad only Mbappe was a starter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 2:47pm On Apr 10, 2021
Leeds flogging Manchester City at Etihad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2021
10 man leads defeated a star studded mancity but a shameless Chelsea was busy making excuse for loosing to a poor west brom side grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2021
jihday:
France says this your theory isn't true, of the 9 ligue 1 players in the squad only Mbappe was a starter
Yes, France may have defied my theory to certain extent but looking at the previous winners, Italy, Spain, and Germany you will understand more.

Coming home to Africa, Egypt is a perfect example to the success of this my theory.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 3:17pm On Apr 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:
10 man leads defeated a star studded mancity but a shameless Chelsea was busy making excuse for loosing to a poor west brom side grin grin
I'm sure Man. City were more concerned about the second leg of their champions league, having all but wrapped up the premier league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:19pm On Apr 10, 2021
lloydtruth:

I'm sure Man. City were more concerned about the second leg of their champions league, having all but wrapped up the premier league.

They better be careful against BVB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 3:20pm On Apr 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:

If we are to be sincere with the strikers at Sevilla sadiq can’t play regular there

But anything is possible
I feel that Sevilla see Sadiq as another Kanoute, for Bayern Munich, I haven't seen much African players succeed there, talk more of one that hasn't been capped yet at national level.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10474) (10475) (10476) (10477) (10478) (10479) (10480) ... (16168) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, chuks404, GMBOFASIA, iamdynamite(m), elyte89 and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.