Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,344 members, 7,860,884 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10525) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11927488 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10522) (10523) (10524) (10525) (10526) (10527) (10528) ... (16335) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 11:35pm On Apr 17, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Naija Football Stories

Are you aware that Terem Moffi's Dad was once a teammate of Alex Iwobi's dad (Chuka Iwobi) at Vasco Da Gama in Enugu in the 1980s?

Terem Moffi and Alex Iwobi also were very close pals before Iwobi departed Nigeria for London at age 6.

That bond may well be taken into the Super Eagles with time.

The Iwobi-Moffi connection.
Hmm, I don smell small wahala.

Iwobi is 24 and Moffi is 21

If Iwobi and Moffi were close, then it would be that, at six years, Iwobi's close friend was a three year old boy, very unlikely cool

It gets more weird to think that the friendship had been going for some time. So when Iwobi was five, his best friend was two grin

If this story is true then Moffi's real age might be +2 or 3. The addition is not much sha.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:42pm On Apr 17, 2021
Terem Moffi to ESPN sometime before Today's game: Speaking on his Super Eagles dream

“I can’t explain how excited I was when I saw my name the first time, but I am sure I am going to go crazy with happiness if given an opportunity like this to represent my country,”

“Every player wants to represent their country. If I get the opportunity, I am going to give 110% and work my socks off to help the team, and I am sure it is going to be an amazing experience.”

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:47pm On Apr 17, 2021
The Dads were close. So it's very likely the lads spent some quality time together everytime their dads or families met. It doesn't mean Iwobi didn't have other friends naa at that age.

My son, chillax. No be everything be "Sherlock Holmes" work. grin

JohnBullMySon:
Hmm, I don smell small wahala.

Iwobi is 24 and Moffi is 21

If Iwobi and Moffi were close, then it would be that, at six years, Iwobi's close friend was a three year old boy, very unlikely cool

It gets more weird to think that the friendship had been going for some time. So when Iwobi was five, his best friend was two grin

If this story is true then Moffi's real age might be +2 or 3. The addition is not much sha.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
charlesemeka85:
to be honest I will rather hv Moffi in the national team than recalling simi

Aside osimhen Moffi is the only [b]physical [/b]striker we can boast of
*mobile

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Psg

Make e no just near there
Why? They are looking to sell icardi and Keane may go back to everton
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:00am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:
alot of teams do not play with an out and out number 9 anymore

A good example is Liverpool, barca, man city n few others
Do you think if Liverpool have the chance to sign Haaland they won't dump Firmino for him?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:11am On Apr 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
The Best of Maduka Okoye in 2020/21 Eredivisie

Courtesy: @SpartaRotterdam

https://twitter.com/SpartaRotterdam/status/1383426724067643397?s=19
i can remember how Rohr was bashed here the first time he gave this kid a call up to the team as a German 3rd tier goal tender but today the reverse is the case

He is deservedly the teams number one and also the only 9ja goalie in Europes top leagues

What we enjoy having him as an eagle currently is the evident of catching them young. I am of the idea of capping players of dual nationality in the Snr team when they re yet to hit stardom inorder to wade off the lure of other nations they hv ties with

Kid hv improved a whole lot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:13am On Apr 18, 2021
12large1:

You must be a mad slowpoke. A player that has 17 goals in the same league that another player has 5 goals isn't good enough for Nigeria?? You don Colo. I'm not even saying that he should be a starter, but he deserves a chance to compete for shirt since he is in form. Kanu wasn't the fastest player in the world but his football intelligence and technique made up for it
You could have passed your message nicely

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:14am On Apr 18, 2021
jihday:
Do you think if Liverpool have the chance to sign Haaland they won't dump Firmino for him?
. And do you think it's every coach will want to hv haaland in his team?

Better still do you think haaland will strive in some of the top teams in Europe?

Zlatans time at barca is a case study.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 12:14am On Apr 18, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Rohr will definitely invite at least four strikers, but seriously, we must start considering Osimhen at 11. I'm sure he can play there. Everyone can't be struggling for 9
beer parlour talk!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:18am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:

Better still do you think haaland will strive in some of the top teams in Europe?

Messi replaced Zlatan, can't compare with Mr defensive striker who has never scored 20 league goals in his career, don't forget klopp brought Lewandowski to Dortmund, if he see better hard working striker he'll dump Firmino.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:18am On Apr 18, 2021

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:19am On Apr 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Interesting stats on Bryan Idowu in the Russian PL

Courtesy: @OptaIvan

27 - Khimki’s Brian Idowu has created more chances (27, including 3 today vs Akhmat) than any of his teammate in the league this season. However, he has not registered a single assist. Unlucky.

Jamilu and this guy who do you prefer?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:35am On Apr 18, 2021
humility33:

C mon tell me about Onauchu quality?

I am here reading?

Besides his positioning, aerial prowess and finishing what else?

What else does a Centre Forward need for Christ sake? The way most Nigerians analyse football, worries me. That's one of the reasons I stopped commenting on this thread. I just read, shake my head and pass.

As a Centre Forward, your basic duty is to score goals, and goal scoring requires good positioning in and around the box. Aerial prowess is not even necessary but it could be an advantage.

You're asking 'what else?' like positional awareness is something you could just pick up on the street(I laugh). Ask any good coach who knows his onions and they'll tell you that positional awareness is one of the hardest things to implement during a game. It's easy to teach but hard for players to imbibe.

We all have our favourites here. I, myself am not a fan of tall strikers but that won't stop me form giving credit to whom credit is due. Onuachu has done so much this season to be undermined by such statement.

I will pick a Jermaine Defoe over a Diego Costa any day any time but that doesn't mean I should devalue Costa's exploits.

It's okay to have a favourite but let's not let sentiments becloud our sense of judgement pls.

Good morning.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:41am On Apr 18, 2021
Ppogbae:

Yeah just opened my mentions but wanted to the get some other goals out there ASAP
Nice one, I no dey enter YouTube to watch highlight again I just wait for your post

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 12:42am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:
i can remember how Rohr was bashed here the first time he gave this kid a call up to the team as a German 3rd tier goal tender but today the reverse is the case

He is deservedly the teams number one and also the only 9ja goalie in Europes top leagues

What we enjoy having him as an eagle currently is the evident of catching them young. I am of the idea of capping players of dual nationality in the Snr team when they re yet to hit stardom inorder to wade off the lure of other nations they hv ties with

Nice idea but Rohr wouldn't have capped him were it not for the crises in the goalkeeping department of the national team

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:44am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:

Only if we don't have capable replacement like in his own case
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 3:51am On Apr 18, 2021
Leicester to shellack Southampton by more than 3 goals. Senior Man will have a MOTM performance. Quote me after the encounter wink cool

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:28am On Apr 18, 2021
humility33:

I am here reading?

U mentioned three most quality areas a player shld possess to excel as a striker.. D likes of inzaghi,van nisterooy no get pass dis qualities o....and dey were feared and dreadful during deir playing days in Europe

U for kuku say onauchu must knw aw to defend and keep b4 u can consider him as a striker

Sis humility,just talk say u no like onauchu playing style..nobody go flog u grin

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Embell: 6:21am On Apr 18, 2021
Lol.

Noahubspot:
Modern-day football is far from how football was played in the 90s and early 2000s. For those singing Simy and Onauchu's praises, I hope say una deh watch football.

Modern-day football is all about PACE, and AGILITY.

Let's shun this myopic behavior of ours, and call a spade a spade, at least for once.

Any ardent football fan will agree to the fact that Simy and Onauchu are light years behind, in terms of modern-day football. These guys are too slow for crying out loud.

Like I said in my previous post;

The top 4 Super Eagles strikers are;

V. Osimhen
K. Nacho
T. Moffi
U. Sadiq

Here's my reason.

V. Osimhen: This guy possesses everything you'd want from a CF. Apart from his SPEED, which I believe is a crucial facet of every successful striker, Osimhen can creates lots and lots of chances for his teammates to bang the goals.

Mind you, he's not a skillful striker, but his PACE, oh my good God...

K. Nacho: Nacho lacks PACE! Yes, I talk am. The boy isn't pacy, but...he's got a tremendous skill set to substitute for that. In his day, he can make scoring fun-filled, I swear. In fact, ask Man Utd fans, I believe they'll have one or more contributions to make.

T. Moffi: He's not a household name, to start with. In short, he's one of those new kids in the block. But hey! This guy got PACE and STRENGTH, coupled with SWEET LEFT-FOOT. Seeing Moffi balling reminds me of one Belgian bulldog, the great Lukaku. Although he's not very tall like the Belgian number 9. But his SHOT on-target is powerful enough to either ends a keeper's career, or shift the goal post.

U. Sadiq: He's the tallest of the 4. But guess what? He's got loads of PACE and SKILLS. Sadiq is a joy to watch.

Simy and Onauchu? I like these 2 guys, but I wouldn't love to have them near the GWG.

My reason(s)?

Simy and Onauchu are damn slow! Forget about the goals. But I can tell for a fact that these 2 guys can not penetrate some very AVERAGE defenders of this world.

Neither Simy nor Onauchu has what it takes to play modern-day football. They lack PACE!

Quote me anywhere...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:39am On Apr 18, 2021
Ppogbae:
Onuachu 1st goal vs Antwerp...

https://streamable.com/vccwyi

Hmm Paul Onuachu's goal on this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:43am On Apr 18, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
The Best of Maduka Okoye in 2020/21 Eredivisie

Courtesy: @SpartaRotterdam

https://twitter.com/SpartaRotterdam/status/1383426724067643397?s=19

His handling is still suspect grin but he's growing at a phenomenal rate
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:46am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:

Tell me any coach that won't like to have Haarland in his team grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jargooflife912(m): 7:47am On Apr 18, 2021
Positioning, aerial prowess, finishing these are the attributes that makes you a good striker bro just say you don’t like Onuachu we will understand
humility33:

I am here reading?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:48am On Apr 18, 2021
Ppogbae:
Leicester to shellack Southampton by more than 3 goals. Senior Man will have a MOTM performance. Quote me after the encounter wink cool

I think Rodgers would do exactly what Pep did yesterday, bring out fringe players, get beat and focus on the league which is the most important thing at the moment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:51am On Apr 18, 2021
jihday:
Why? They are looking to sell icardi and Keane may go back to everton

Okay unless that

I never knew they want to see them both
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:53am On Apr 18, 2021
jargooflife912:
Positioning, aerial prowess, finishing these are the attributes that makes you a good striker bro just say you don’t like Onuachu we will understand

I don’t think he hates onauchu

I just think that he doesn’t want to eat his humble pie

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:00am On Apr 18, 2021
grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 8:01am On Apr 18, 2021
Leicester City's match day poster on twitter

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:03am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:

No matter how hard you sugar coat it

A striker Job is to score goals

Barca style was different from others team style due to Messi so forget that issue ,zlatan even scored 16 league goals that same season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:04am On Apr 18, 2021
charlesemeka85:

It still doesn’t make sense to invite a division 4 player

If Okoye is doing well now good for him

You didn’t bash rohr because the player Na oyinbo

If rohr makes this type of invitation again I will still bash him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 18, 2021
codemaniacs:

been a striker is not about pace... its about finishing.

if you think I'm lying go and play football manager and get a striker with pace 20 and finishing 9 - 11. that striker will have dozens of one on one with keeper and miss..

the truth is right now at the current moment in April 2021 Simy and Onuachu are Nigeria's best strikers and finishers so don't talk down on them because they lack pace, appreciate and praise them for their finishing...

Simy and Onuachu wouldn't miss the chances ighalo missed in the world cup/ nations cup.

Timo Werner says hiiiiii

(1) (2) (3) ... (10522) (10523) (10524) (10525) (10526) (10527) (10528) ... (16335) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christology(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.