Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1073) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11672911 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1070) (1071) (1072) (1073) (1074) (1075) (1076) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:02am On Jun 08, 2017
Keep resting,BIG BOSS.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:14am On Jun 08, 2017
My preferred line up are...
Akpeyi
Omeruo
Ekong
Awaziem
Echiejile
Ogu
Ogenyi
Ndidi
Etebo
Iheanacho
I know its defence minded but I need Ogu to start that game.
Substitutes...
Musa for Onazi at 70 minutes.
Onyekuru for Iwobi at 70 minutes.
Kayode for Iheanacho at 80 minutes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chiboy7(m): 5:22am On Jun 08, 2017
Plz post the link.. I want to visit the site

safarigirl:
lol, you should see them on Super sports football Facebook page grin

One Zimbabwean made the error of telling them all their attackers are bench warmers as opposed to Nigeria's attack, and they came at him hard. One SAcan mentioned that Rantie scored a week ago and the Zimbabwean replied "That was his 8th goal in 4 years" cheesy I think we need an emoticon for *ROFLMAO*

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:30am On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
OPPONENT WATCH

We have got to shut the crowd up in Nigeria‚ says Bafana coach Baxter
Stuart Baxter says if Bafana Bafana can shut the crowd up in the first 20 minutes of Bafana Bafana's 2019 Africa Cup Nations qualifier against Nigeria in Uyo on Saturday‚ it will be advantage South Africa.
Bafana meet Nigeria in their opening qualifier for Cameroon 2019 having never beaten their nemesis the Super Eagles in a competitive match.

This will also be Baxter's first game in charge at the start of his second tenure as Bafana coach.

"I think we've got to shut the crowd up. That's one of our big jobs‚" Baxter said ahead of his team's afternoon departure to overnight in Lagos‚ then flight to Uyo in central Nigeria on Thursday morning.

"If we let the crowd get excited‚ and Nigeria enjoy the game‚ then I think that's going to be a big plus for them.

"I think if we can turn that around and frustrate them a bit‚ and be better than they think‚ and have more to say than they think‚ then maybe the crowd could be a bit of a negative for them.

"I think that's important. And maybe if Niegria could have chosen‚ they might not really have wanted to play us in the first game at home.

"Because then there is the scenario that if they lose they're going to be under tremendous pressure from the beginning.

"So we have to use that. With the mental part of the game‚ the boys have to feel that this is one where we can spoil the party a bit. We can make it difficult for Nigeria."

Baxter said stifling Nigeria in the opening 20 minutes could be crucial for Bafana.

"It will be big. The critical phases of the game are always important‚ and I think the first period in this game is a big one.

"Because that will either bring the crowd into the game‚ or it will take them out a bit.

"If the first 20 minutes are not what they had hoped‚ then immediately the crowd will make their displeasure felt‚ then they will be baying for blood. And I think that will be advantage us."

The coach said Bafana's two draws against Nigeria - including having held a 2-0 lead in Uyo - in the qualifiers for Afcon 2015‚ which SA reached at the defending champions' expense‚ has helped chip away at the Eagles' psychological advantage.

"I think that having been there and having gone through it‚ it gives the players a sense of calm. I don't think we fear Nigeria as much as respect them‚" the coach said.

"The players have gone there‚ they've gone through the mill so to speak.

"They're thinking that they have gone there‚ and maybe if they had hung on they could have gotten the result."

Bafana and Nigeria are drawn with Seychelles and Libya in Group E.
- TMG Digital/TMG Sport

Stuart Baxter seems to have done his home work on the Super Eagles. The last 3 games apart from the match against Togo, the Super Eagles have had a slow start in the first half, especially in the first 20 minutes.
Obviously the South Africans might want to take advantage of this. It is a logical game plan. Hopefully, Rohr and his crew will work out a strategy to counter this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:15am On Jun 08, 2017
Mickael2:

Omeruo was helping turn defence into attack, do you still think his ball playing abilities is in doubt?

Just because of their LOVE for a Porto B teenager they want to throw away this asset.

Thank God many of us here are not Rohr.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:33am On Jun 08, 2017
goldfish80:

Stuart Baxter seems to have done his home work on the Super Eagles. The last 3 games apart from the match against Togo, the Super Eagles have had a slow start in the first half, especially in the first 20 minutes.
Obviously the South Africans might want to take advantage of this. It is a logical game plan. Hopefully, Rohr and his crew will work out a strategy to counter this.

Which home work? Na you give am the homework?

The game against Senegal was our first after Algeria in November but meanwhile Senegal just can back from the AFCON and were still hot from the competition.
Even I predicted a though first 20mins for Nigeria.

The Corsica game too, the players were just coming back together after a long season Plus we had so many debutants in that game that it took some time for the Chemistry to start building.

The game against Togo was a manifestation of what early camping can do. Just look at the early goals. And some of our key players were not even in that Togo game.

The SA coach should get scared that our team is building up momentum. They can even find themselves 3-0 down within that first 20mins he said he will silence the crowd.

I told someone recently that SA are just too unfortunate that our game against them is being played at the end of the season and hence we have had enough time to prepare for them. Unlike our previous qualifiers that were played during FIFA free windows where the players barely have 3-4 days to prepare.

I read that article about the SA player saying Nigeria have players in the big leagues but their team work will help them. It simply shows they are seeing our team as same as it was 2-3 years ago. They think we don't have a team just a bunch of talented players.

I am seeing a wide margin win for Nigeria against SA on Saturday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:40am On Jun 08, 2017
Elnino9:
vincent enyeama spotted @ the team's hotel

The game is holding in his home town.

Though he is from Etim-Ekpo LGA.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:49am On Jun 08, 2017
OMANBALA1:
My preferred line up are...
Akpeyi
Omeruo
Ekong
Awaziem
Echiejile
Ogu
Ogenyi
Ndidi
Etebo
Iheanacho
I know its defence minded but I need Ogu to start that game.
Substitutes...
Musa for Onazi at 70 minutes.
Onyekuru for Iwobi at 70 minutes.
Kayode for Iheanacho at 80 minutes.

A good line up.

But as a coach you base your substitutions on the way the game is going and also how you want to finish the game . For eg we cannot be looking for a goal and you remove Iheanacho for Kayode. And we may be leading and need to see off the game and you remove Onazi and bring in Musa?

Plus also, any player may lose steam or get injured and that will also necessitate a substitution.

BTW how come no one has mentioned Tyrone Ebuehi on his starting line up?

The way that boy was hyped here it was as though they were already reserving that RB position for him.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2017
NFF bans Supporters Club from Eagles, Bafana clash
By Gowon Akpodonor

• ‘We can’t recognise factional leaders’
• Ladipo, others hold emergency congress today

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) came down hard on the two warring factions of the Nigeria Football Supporters Club yesterday, ordering them to stay away from the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo, venue of the Super Eagles versus Bafana Bafana AFCON qualifier on Saturday.

The NFF has equally asked the two warring leaders, Vincent Okumagba and Rev. Samuel Ikpea to step down with immediate effect to pave way for fresh elections, just as it called on the President General of the body, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo to also quit honourably.

But in a reaction yesterday, Ladipo, who is the chairman of the Board of Trustees, said the Supporters Club was not a government property, adding that it was wrong for the NFF to dictate how it should run its affairs.

NFF President, Amaju Pinnick said yesterday in Lagos that there seemed to be irreconcilable differences between the two groups, adding that such unhealthy situation could lead to bad result for the Eagles in Uyo.

“I have made it clear that the Supporters Club should not come to Uyo for this match on Saturday. I have also told Ladipo to resign and conduct a fresh election. The two warring leaders, Ikpea and Okumagba should also resign because we can’t continue to work with factional leaders,” Pinnick told The Guardian on his way from a football event held at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island yesterday.

Contacted yesterday, Okumagba said: “I have not heard of such directive from the NFF. On his part, Ladipo said: “If the NFF says we should not come to Uyo for the match, we will stay away, but I want whoever is giving such directive to know that the Supporters Club is a non-governmental organisation. It is registered with the CAC and we have been paying our monthly subscription for the past 62 years.”

The Guardian learnt that the call by the NFF for fresh election has prompted the leaders, including Ladipo to call for an emergency congress today in Lagos.

Source: https://m.guardian.ng/sport/nff-bans-supporters-club-from-eagles-bafana-clash/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:02am On Jun 08, 2017
chiboy7:
Plz post the link.. I want to visit the site

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1620733821305155&id=129607710417781

That's one of the links. Supersport apparently only posts news that concerns SA players for this match, easy to tell what side they are on. They make themaelves sp obvious sometimes, it's disgusting.

Apparently, even their reporting of the U20 WC leaned more towards SA than any other participating African team. They only posted something on Zambia when they were knocked out by Italy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:06am On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:

A good line up.

But as a coach you base your substitutions on the way the game is going and also how you want to finish the game . For eg we cannot be looking for a goal and you remove Iheanacho for Kayode. And we may be leading and need to see off the game and you remove Onazi and bring in Musa?

Plus also, any player may lose steam or get injured and that will also necessitate a substitution.

The way that boy was hyped here it was as though they were already reserving that RB position for him.
I don't know why you're looking for Tyronne's name, as if you won't condemn his inclusion as you have Awaziem's.

The less players we have to argue about, the better. This is sha not the game to start him, he can come on as a sub if necessary. Seychelles will be there for him later
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:13am On Jun 08, 2017
Honestly.... if I was a guy from Seychelles.... I might really come down hard on you like,

"Thunder fire you for that!" angry

So we are small enough for Tyronne iddarit? Chaaaiiiiii..... angry

Ceci est inadmissible kwaa!!!!

--------

Just acting grin

safarigirl:
I don't know why you're looking for Tyronne's name, as if you won't condemn his inclusion as you have Awaziem's.

The less players we have to argue about, the better. This is sha not the game to start him, he can come on as a sub if necessary. Seychelles will be there for him later
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:16am On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:

Which home work? Na you give am the homework?

The game against Senegal was our first after Algeria in November but meanwhile Senegal just can back from the AFCON and were still hot from the competition.
Even I predicted a though first 20mins for Nigeria.

The Corsica game too, the players were just coming back together after a long season Plus we had so many debutants in that game that it took some time for the Chemistry to start building.

The game against Togo was a manifestation of what early camping can do. Just look at the early goals. And some of our key players were not even in that Togo game.

The SA coach should get scared that our team is building up momentum. They can even find themselves 3-0 down within that first 20mins he said he will silence the crowd.

I told someone recently that SA are just too unfortunate that our game against them is being played at the end of the season and hence we have had enough time to prepare for them. Unlike our previous qualifiers that were played during FIFA free windows where the players barely have 3-4 days to prepare.

I read that article about the SA player saying Nigeria have players in the big leagues but their team work will help them. It simply shows they are seeing our team as same as it was 2-3 years ago. They think we don't have a team just a bunch of talented players.

I am seeing a wide margin win for Nigeria against SA on Saturday.

It's just cliché or stereotypical of Nigerian teams to start build up slowly, sometimes laboured, but once they click into gear, they are almost unplayable. You've followed Nigerian football for a long time to know this.
I think our inability to deal with South American teams over the years could be traced to this slow build up. An Argentine coach once said that his key to beat the Nigerian team was to start on the front foot and grab goals as early as possible, don't give the Nigerians time on the ball to build up tempo because when they do, they will hurt you. I can't remember his exact words but it's something along these lines.

The infamous game against South Africa in 2015 played out almost like so, with the South Africans starting on the front foot, grabbed 2 goals. If not for the last minute goal, we could have lost.

If I was to manage a team against Nigeria, I will try to exploit the first half to my advantage and get the players and fans rattled, obviously I expect the Nigerians to get better and respond in the second half.

I hope Rohr works on getting the handbrakes off in the first half.

Expect to see a close encounter, you recall the South Africans defeated Senegal* and were held to a draw by Burkina faso in Ouagadougou. We should take them seriously.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:19am On Jun 08, 2017

SE bus in Uyo

'Arrogant Eagles will fall'
by Sammy Wejinya

Newly-appointed South Africa national football team captain, Thulani ‘Tyson’ Hlatshwayo has branded the Super Eagles “arrogant” and says the Nigeria national team will be humbled on Saturday.

The two sides meet in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifier on Saturday at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo with a win crucial for their hopes of reaching Africa’s biennial football showpiece.

South Africa have never beaten Nigeria in a competitive game buy Hlatshwayo believes that trend will be bucked on Saturday.

“It more like a baptism of fire to get this (named captain) ahead of the Nigeria game but we have played Nigeria before and we came close to beating them twice in our last two meetings and I think they are there for the taking this time around,” Hlatshwayo was quoted saying on www.safa.net.

“It’s somehow a familiar environment because I was then involved in those last two encounters and we should come back with a positive result.

“But Nigeria is a strong side, we need to respect them and show real character.

“Nigeria are a proud and arrogant team but I still believe we have now overcome that psychological barrier of not having beaten them in a competitive match; yet we could have done so in the past two games,” he said.

Hlatshwayo was part of the Bafana Bafana side that drew 2-2 with Nigeria’s Super Eagles in Uyo in the last competitive clash between the two sides on Nigerian soil.

That draw at the ‘Nest of Champions’ put paid to Nigeria’s hopes of reaching the 2015 Afcon and the Bafana captain is under no illusions that the result will still be fresh on many Nigerian minds.

“It’s going to be a grudge game this one. We denied them a place to the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations and they will be out for revenge and that might work exactly to our advantage,” He said.

The Bafana Bafana captain also noted that the team had responded massively to new coach Stuart Baxter adding the one week training period was enough for national team players.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170608/Arrogant_Eagles_will_fall
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:27am On Jun 08, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
NFF bans Supporters Club from Eagles, Bafana clash
By Gowon Akpodonor

• ‘We can’t recognise factional leaders’
• Ladipo, others hold emergency congress today

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) came down hard on the two warring factions of the Nigeria Football Supporters Club yesterday, ordering them to stay away from the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo, venue of the Super Eagles versus Bafana Bafana AFCON qualifier on Saturday.

The NFF has equally asked the two warring leaders, Vincent Okumagba and Rev. Samuel Ikpea to step down with immediate effect to pave way for fresh elections, just as it called on the President General of the body, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo to also quit honourably.

But in a reaction yesterday, Ladipo, who is the chairman of the Board of Trustees, said the Supporters Club was not a government property, adding that it was wrong for the NFF to dictate how it should run its affairs.

NFF President, Amaju Pinnick said yesterday in Lagos that there seemed to be irreconcilable differences between the two groups, adding that such unhealthy situation could lead to bad result for the Eagles in Uyo.

“I have made it clear that the Supporters Club should not come to Uyo for this match on Saturday. I have also told Ladipo to resign and conduct a fresh election. The two warring leaders, Ikpea and Okumagba should also resign because we can’t continue to work with factional leaders,” Pinnick told The Guardian on his way from a football event held at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island yesterday.

Contacted yesterday, Okumagba said: “I have not heard of such directive from the NFF. On his part, Ladipo said: “If the NFF says we should not come to Uyo for the match, we will stay away, but I want whoever is giving such directive to know that the Supporters Club is a non-governmental organisation. It is registered with the CAC and we have been paying our monthly subscription for the past 62 years.”

The Guardian learnt that the call by the NFF for fresh election has prompted the leaders, including Ladipo to call for an emergency congress today in Lagos.

Source: https://m.guardian.ng/sport/nff-bans-supporters-club-from-eagles-bafana-clash/
I support the call for Rafiu Ladipo to step down. The man have been the president of supporters club almost forever. There should be room for another person to step up and introduce something new to the group.
Enough of the same old boring, slow tempo songs,zero choreography.
We need fresh ideas please. We're in 2017 for goodness sake.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:31am On Jun 08, 2017
Well thing is.... We must be realistic for this game naa... Ebuehi can't start this game for obvious reasons.

But with time, he may yet claim that right back slot... so don't rule him out just yet.

But he would have Ola Aina (versatile for the left back role too) for company shaa as time goes on plus Versatile Shehu Abdullahi and probably Musa Mohammed too (if he keeps up his fight for relevance at club level).

It is just sad Moses Odubajo has a vow with injury woes almost every time. That lad, Odubajo, is my pick but injury has been merciless with him. Hope he bounces back "fully" soon enough.... he is still young and still has much to offer.

Icon4s:

A good line up.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:38am On Jun 08, 2017
Nigeria: Super Eagles Players, Fans Hopeful of Winning Bafana Bafana

A Super Eagles fan displays her support (file photo).

The Super Eagles players and their fans are optimistic that the team will win the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Bafana Bafana of South Africa on Saturday in Uyo.

Eagles' defender, Trust Ekong, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday after the team's training at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo, that the players were poised to win.

"It is going to be a good game, everyone is fit," he said. "It will be a healthy competition, everybody is working hard to justify his slot."

NAN reports that Ahmed Musa, Kenneth Omeruo and Elderson Echiejile, who missed the first training session on Tuesday, were present in the Wednesday's.

Twenty-four players, including three goalkeepers are currently training in the team's Uyo camp, which opened on Monday.
Also, Eagles' goalkeeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, said that they were ready for the game.

He said that the other two goalkeepers, Daniel Akpeyi and Dele Alampasu, were in top form, adding: "We are happy with one another".

He expressed optimism that the Eagles would win the match and also qualify for Russia 2018 World Cup.

Contributing, Super Eagles' midfielder, Oghenekaro Etebo, said that the team was set to face Bafana Bafana.

"We need to win. Coach Gernot Rohr has a good record. All we believe is that we are going to win," Etebo said.

He, however, added that it would not be an easy game because the South Africans won all their nine games in the last two seasons.

A sports analyst, Colin Udoh, said that he was impressed with the Super Eagles' training session, describing the tempo in camp as high.

Udoh, who is the Sports Editor of Kwese Magazine, said that there was a good blend of the young and experienced players and that the team exhibited a lot of vigour.

"I enjoyed their enthusiasm, they are very sharp. It means that we can be quick and slow if we so choose.

"We have players who can match their opponents side by side. We will have a great match," Udoh said.

The chairman of Okobo Football Association in Akwa Ibom, Bassey Nkpokongoyo, said that he was impressed with the inclusion of Henry Onyekeru, Mikel Agu and Tyrone Ebuaehi in
the team.

Nkpokongoyo said that for so long the Super Eagles never had a natural right full back that is available in the current team.

"The spirit is high, the team is balanced, the coach has done a great job," Nkpokongoyo said.

NAN reports that the Super Eagles had done sessions of training on physical fitness, ball handling, goalkeeping and target kicks. (NAN)

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201706080066.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:49am On Jun 08, 2017
goldfish80:

Ighalo only had one good season,same as Emenike. Kayode have been prolific for 2 seasons in a row and he's younger than both of them., hence my submission that his celine is quite high.

Point of correction. Kayode has been prolific for 3 seasons in a row if you include his 13 goals in the Israeli league before he scored double digits goals in the past 2 seasons in the Austria league. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2017
Eagle eye on Bafana
By NICK SAID

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr. File photo
Image by: Action Images via Reuters / Peter Cziborra Livepic / REUTERS

Nigeria have been talking up the quality of South Africa ahead of their Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo on Saturday, with coach Gernot Rohr describing Bafana as "the best team in the group".

Rohr has been with Nigeria since August last year and says this will be his toughest test yet.

"They are the strongest opponent I will face so far as [Super] Eagles coach because they have not lost a match over a long time," German Rohr told reporters.

"I am also aware that they stopped Nigeria from getting to the Afcon in 2015. The game will be difficult. It will be a big challenge to beat the South Africans.

"It will be difficult with the young players that we have. Our captain, [John] Obi Mikel and our first choice goalkeeper [Carl Ikeme] are out of the match," he added.

But he still has plenty of talent from the top leagues in Europe.

These are five players who could prove to be match-winners:

Kelechi Iheanacho of Manchester City is arguably the best "finisher" in the Nigerian team. He has scored seven goals in ten international matches, with his last coming in the 3-0 win over Togo at the weekend.

Alex Iwobi of Arsenal can play on either wing and is coming off a good season for the Gunners, netting four goals.

He scored for Nigeria in their 2-1 World Cup qualifier victory over Zambia last year, his only international goal to date.

Ahmed Musa of Leicester City is the most experienced of Nigeria's forwards. He has hurt Bafana in the past, denying them a rare win when he equalised late in a 1-1 draw in March 2015.

Wilfred Ndidi of Leicester City showed his stamina by playing in 59 games for club and country, including both the Uefa Europa League (with Genk) and the European Champions League (with Leicester).

Although not known for his goal-scoring, he netted six times.

Ogenyi Onazi of Trabzonspor (Turkey) has met South Africa on four previous occasions and is yet to taste defeat.

Source: http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2017/06/08/Eagle-eye-on-Bafana1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:08am On Jun 08, 2017
#OpponentWatch #BattleOfUyo #SuperEaglesVsBafanaBafana

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bafana to counter Nigeria's pace and aggression
Bafana

By MAZOLA MOLEFE

JOHANNESBURG - Bafana Bafana coach Stuart Baxter may have bemoaned having just four training sessions - squeezed in carefully to avoid overloading his players - prior to departure to Nigeria on Tuesday afternoon to face the Super Eagles in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday, but the Scotsman believes he used them to good effect.

With Nigeria adopting a new DNA under Gernot Rohr, the 63-year-old German coach who took over in August last year, Baxter got his players to work in confined spaces to counter the opposition’s high-pressing game and also drilled it into his men to stay focused in critical phases of the match as Bafana have been known to concede late goals, like they did in Ouagadougou which allowed Burkina Faso to earn a precious point in their opening 2018 World Cup qualifier in October last year.

“I think they (Nigeria) are a playing team,” said Baxter.

“They’ve got a lot of players who want the ball at their feet, and they attack the spaces because they have got the speed. If they build up, they will attack the spaces in between and behind our players in the last third.

"Maybe they don’t have the extreme physical capabilities of the earlier Nigerian teams, but I think they are still quite physical in their approach to the game - they want to press the ball immediately after losing it and they want to get in your face. I am sure they would want to drive the tempo of the game. I am hoping there is a bit of physicality because then our own mobility and speed will come to the fore.”

The coach nodded in agreement to a question about another critical phase that needs a lot of attention: Bafana can’t seem to protect a lead.

“I think when we have conceded late it was a little bit of anxiety. We have spoken a lot about this,” Baxter explained.

“It is looking at the clock, and you stop playing to a certain degree. You start hoping and stop believing.

"I think we’ve just got to be braver and ask how do we manage the game. There are certain things you can do, but what you try to avoid is just being there on the pitch and not have a plan. I think if we keep playing for the 90 minutes and there are five or six minutes more, we have to keep on playing.

"We have dealt with a situation where we are leading in training and I sent one player off and asked the players to protect the lead and I thought they did it very well. So, we have approached that. And if we have to park the bus, we will. But a lot of that will depend on what Nigeria do.”

Bafana will return from Uyo early on Monday morning and immediately travel to Rustenburg for a friendly international against Zambia, but Baxter wasn’t swinging on the chandeliers with confirmation of a fixture that is almost meaningless.

Nigeria managed to organise two matches, against Corsica and Togo, several days before this weekend’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

“It’s an important game in terms of development, the long term and the bigger picture. Some of the younger players that have worked hard in this camp, will get a run against Zambia because they deserve and we want to see them,” said Baxter. “I would have preferred it be before the Nigeria game ... but that is not possible, so I am not going to cry about that.”

Source: http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/bafana/bafana-to-counter-nigerias-pace-and-aggression-9623680
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:11am On Jun 08, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

'Arrogant Eagles will fall'
by Sammy Wejinya

Newly-appointed South Africa national football team captain, Thulani ‘Tyson’ Hlatshwayo has branded the Super Eagles “arrogant” and says the Nigeria national team will be humbled on Saturday.

The two sides meet in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifier on Saturday at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo with a win crucial for their hopes of reaching Africa’s biennial football showpiece.

South Africa have never beaten Nigeria in a competitive game buy Hlatshwayo believes that trend will be bucked on Saturday.

“It more like a baptism of fire to get this (named captain) ahead of the Nigeria game but we have played Nigeria before and we came close to beating them twice in our last two meetings and I think they are there for the taking this time around,” Hlatshwayo was quoted saying on www.safa.net.

“It’s somehow a familiar environment because I was then involved in those last two encounters and we should come back with a positive result.

“But Nigeria is a strong side, we need to respect them and show real character.

“Nigeria are a proud and arrogant team but I still believe we have now overcome that psychological barrier of not having beaten them in a competitive match; yet we could have done so in the past two games,” he said.

Hlatshwayo was part of the Bafana Bafana side that drew 2-2 with Nigeria’s Super Eagles in Uyo in the last competitive clash between the two sides on Nigerian soil.

That draw at the ‘Nest of Champions’ put paid to Nigeria’s hopes of reaching the 2015 Afcon and the Bafana captain is under no illusions that the result will still be fresh on many Nigerian minds.

“It’s going to be a grudge game this one. We denied them a place to the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations and they will be out for revenge and that might work exactly to our advantage,” He said.

The Bafana Bafana captain also noted that the team had responded massively to new coach Stuart Baxter adding the one week training period was enough for national team players.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170608/Arrogant_Eagles_will_fall
this boy should just shut up. Super sports is giving these people mouth, they have interviewed this one at least four times this week alone and I am yet to see any interview from our players on their part.

They will still collect when they reach Uyo, I will read his interview then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:14am On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:

I cannot stop anyone from naming any player but you must be ready to justify his inclusion. No sentiments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:20am On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:

The game is holding in his home town.
Though he is from Etim-Ekpo LGA.
I thought Enyeama is Igbo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23am On Jun 08, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Well thing is.... We must be realistic for this game naa... Ebuehi can't start this game for obvious reasons.

But with time, he may yet claim that right back slot... so don't rule him out just yet.

But he would have Ola Aina (versatile for the left back role too) for company shaa as time goes on plus Versatile Shehu Abdullahi and probably Musa Mohammed too (if he keeps up his fight for relevance at club level).

It is just sad Moses Odubajo has a vow with injury woes almost every time. That lad, Odubajo, is my pick but injury has been merciless with him. Hope he bounces back "fully" soon enough.... he is still young and still has much to offer.

You Sure know what I am talking about.

IMO Ola Aina, when we secure him, is even ahead of Ebuehi. The way this boy was hyped here? As if he would easily walk into that defense. No harm in inviting a new player who shows promises but we should not always be too in a haste to throw away the already existing players. Just like some already in a haste to throw away Omeruo because of Awaziem and Onazi because of Mikel Agu even without the proposed new players showing enough to warrant the replacements.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:24am On Jun 08, 2017
Mujtahida:

I thought Enyeama is Igbo.

Nops. Akwa-Ibom, Ibibio.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:35am On Jun 08, 2017
Double post
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:35am On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:

Nops. Akwa-Ibom, Ibibio.
He is not Ibibio, he is Annang. His village shares a boundary with mine, hence the similar sounding name.

Enyeama is Inyama in my place. It is the same way both areas share names like Kalu and Udoh.

Cc Mujtahida
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:41am On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
He is not Ibibio, he is Annang. His village shares a boundary with mine, hence the similar sounding name.

Enyeama is Inyama in my place. It is the same way both areas share names like Kalu and Udoh.

Cc Mujtahida
Thanks to you two for the clarity. I always just love to be aware of the Ethnic configuration of our country. Madam I thought you are Igbo. Well now I know better.
Cc Icon4s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:45am On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1620733821305155&id=129607710417781

That's one of the links. Supersport apparently only posts news that concerns SA players for this match, easy to tell what side they are on. They make themaelves sp obvious sometimes, it's disgusting.

Apparently, even their reporting of the U20 WC leaned more towards SA than any other participating African team. They only posted something on Zambia when they were knocked out by Italy
I went to scan on the link you provided. Chai, Nigerians get bad mouth. Someone called Bafana Bafana Banana Banana. I just laughed. I think the South Africans are generally not aware that our team is on the ascendancy once more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:50am On Jun 08, 2017
goldfish80:

It's just cliché or stereotypical of Nigerian teams to start build up slowly, sometimes laboured, but once they click into gear, they are almost unplayable. You've followed Nigerian football for a long time to know this.
I think our inability to deal with South American teams over the years could be traced to this slow build up. An Argentine coach once said that his key to beat the Nigerian team was to start on the front foot and grab goals as early as possible, don't give the Nigerians time on the ball to build up tempo because when they do, they will hurt you. I can't remember his exact words but it's something along these lines.

The infamous game against South Africa in 2015 played out almost like so, with the South Africans starting on the front foot, grabbed 2 goals. If not for the last minute goal, we could have lost.

If I was to manage a team against Nigeria, I will try to exploit the first half to my advantage and get the players and fans rattled, obviously I expect the Nigerians to get better and respond in the second half.

I hope Rohr works on getting the handbrakes off in the first half.

Expect to see a close encounter, you recall the South Africans defeated Senegal* and were held to a draw by Burkina faso in Ouagadougou. We should take them seriously.
Great observations. I wish Rohr can stamp out that snail like build up we are so accustomed to in the early phases and complacency after we have scored. I wish he can inject two things in place of those accustomed qualities: intensity and ruthlessness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:56am On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:

Cc Mujtahida

You are right my dear. I actually meant Annang. They actually share boundary with you people so you'll know them wella.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2017
Mujtahida:

Thanks to you two for the clarity. I always just love to be aware of the Ethnic configuration of our country. Madam I thought you are Igbo. Well now I know better.
Cc Icon4s
I actually am, kinda. I'm from Arochukwu in Abia state, my village and Annang are separated by a stream.

We speak Efik there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1070) (1071) (1072) (1073) (1074) (1075) (1076) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 20 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.