Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1076) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11686150 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1073) (1074) (1075) (1076) (1077) (1078) (1079) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:39pm On Jun 08, 2017
Mujtahida:

But Ikeme does excellent for us in the goalposts. I pray Enyeama returns. I really pray. Dude is a good guy. I wasn't happy the way he was hounded out of the team. He should return and leave with good memories cos he's given so much.
I don't think if fans did a video begging Enyeama to return, he would.

He's done with us, we shouldn't reduce ourselves to that clingy ex who doesn't know when to move on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:39pm On Jun 08, 2017
Leaked – Rohr Settles For Shehu Abdullahi As Right Back Ahead Of Ebuehi For SA Clash

Owngoalnigeria.com has been informed about some plans of the coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr for the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers game against South Africa in Uyo this Saturday.

We gathered he has already drawn up list of players who will man certain positions in the game one of which is the choice of Shehu Abdullahi as right back ahead of Dutch-Nigerian defender Tyronne Ebuehi.

Rohr dropped a big hint on his choice of Abdullahi during yesterday’s training session by playing the right back who is predominantly a defensive midfielder against the regular forwards of the team.

Abdullahi won the heart of Rohr during the friendly game against Togo, and the coach is set to select him ahead of Ebuehi for the game against South Africa based on his performance in the Togo clash.

However Abdullahi who will be observing “Ramadan Fast” that forbids muslim from eating or drinking from dusk till dawn might be substituted for Ebuehi if he shows any sign of tiredness during the course of the game.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/08/leaked-rohr-settles-for-shehu-abdullahi-as-right-back-ahead-of-ebuehi-for-sa-clash/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
Ngwa people are short and look like ikpeazu, Arochukwu men are so much better looking grin

Besides, I have never met one reasonable Ngwa person and I have met more than enough. Only Ngwa people have nice things to say about Ngwa people

History remembers Arochukwu as renowned slave traders and the most formidable opponents the British encountered in the East, nothing much on Ngwa people aside cannibalism.

Now that you know, I suppose we can return to the football.

Chai, Nigerians are so divided.... Even within the same tribe, language and village, we have things to say about others. Let me guess, you have Arochukwu heritage..

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2017
Kog45:
Whao tough questions,from archive Teslim Balogun had a stint in Uk but do we called that professional career?

I remember Sylvanus Okpalla and Richard Owubokiri had a professional career before Keshi,Sylvanus Okpalla in Portugal and Owubokiri in Brazil.Stand to be corrected.
I asked this question because Dominic Iorfa is one of those who played professional football outside the country. If I am not mistaken or have not forgotten, I overhead someone saying he is the first Super Eagles player to open the door for others outside the country. I had always believed it is Stephen Keshi though.

CC; Icon4s, Komekn, etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2017
Revealed – The Super Eagles (Likely) Line Up Against South Africa

A source close to the coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr has revealed to owngoalnigeria.com the proposed line up the coach has in mind for the game against South Africa.

Rohr drew up the list after yesterday turbo charged training session, and will from today begin serious tactical work with the players in the line up in their close door sessions.

Here is the list as exclusively sourced by our correspondent Osas Mahawi who is in Uyo for the crunch tie.

(Likely) Starting 11:

Daniel Akpeyi (GK)

Shehu Abdullahi

Elderson Echiejile

William Troost-Ekong

Kenneth Omeruo

Ogenyi Onazi (C)

Wilfred Ndidi

Oghenekaro Etebo

Alex Iwobi

Ahmed Musa

Kelechi Iheanacho

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/08/revealed-the-super-eagles-line-up-against-south-africa/

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Chai, Nigerians are so divided.... Even within the same tribe, language and village, we have things to say about others. Let me guess, you have Arochukwu heritage..
some villages won't even inter-marry

And it is not limited to Nigerians, have you ever tried calling a Welsh man English?

Villages have histories, before the joining of a people as a group or a tribe or whatever, they were just communities. History tells these tales and there will be disunity because of the clashing, but when they face a common enemy, there will be unity.

The fact that some people want to act like there are no frictions between villages is hilarious. I did history in secondary school, some rivalries are legendary.

Ot is not that serious in life sha. I just think Ngwa people look funny, hence my initial reaction.

Some people take these things more serious than I do and I refuse to claim I understand. I don't

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:54pm On Jun 08, 2017
fans clamoring for his return because they love him is no wayt reducing oneself oh.. if we like we can do a PleaseComeBackEnyeama hashtag. I'm sure he will feel loved and honored even as much as he expects us to respect his decision.

safarigirl:
I don't think if fans did a video begging Enyeama to return, he would.

He's done with us, we shouldn't reduce ourselves to that clingy ex who doesn't know when to move on

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
this kind of competition will keep them on their toes and they will always give their best. It is healthy competition.

Mujtahida:

Tbaba1234 this is from ANS on John Ogu. I think he's been giving a good fight for a slot and Muazzam too. Happy thing is the availability of good options at Rohr's disposal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Bafana Bafana Training On Playing With A Man Down Against Eagles – Coach Confesses

Ahead of the Super Eagles of Nigeria clash against the senior national team of South Africa, coach of the team Stuart Baxter has confessed that his team are training on formations incase they have a player sent off.

Baxter made the revelation upon arrival in Nigeria ‎yesterday for the Saturday’s game which is the first step for both teams in the road to qualify for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

The coach admits Nigeria will no doubt be a hard nut to crack, but he has prepa‎red his team including the worst case scenario of having a player sent off during the course of the game.
“I think we’ve just got to be braver and say‚ ‘Look‚ how do we deal with this game‚ how do we manage it?’.

“There are certain things you can do.

“But what you don’t want to do is just be there on the field and not have a plan.

“We have dealt (in training) with a situation where we are leading.

“Yesterday we put on a scenario where we were playing XI v XI in the afternoon and I sent one of the players off.

“And I said‚ ‘Right‚ you’re leading 1-0‚ what do you do’.

“We’ve appproached that and they did it very well yesterday.

“We’ve approached how we would kill the game off if we were leading‚ and we’ve approached what we would do if we were chasing the game.

“So we’ve got a couple of ‘what if’ scenarios‚and one of them is that last critical phase.”

Ade Emmanuel

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/08/bafana-bafana-training-on-playing-with-a-man-down-against-eagles-coach-confesses/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
fans clamoring for his return because they love him is no wayt reducing oneself oh.. if we like we can do a PleaseComeBackEnyeama hashtag. I'm sure he will feel loved and honored even as much as he expects us to respect his decision.

you think Nigerians have not begged him enough on social media for.h to feel the love? E be like say you never jam Nigerians on SM, they will even beg people that are considering playomg for us.

Na all these injuries Ikeme dey collect na wetin make us remember Vincent. Anybody dey mention Enyeama when Ikeme dey fit?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
Henry Onyekuru set for West Ham move?

Henry Onyekuru

by Graeme Jackson

KAS Eupen’s Nigerian striker Henry Onyekuru could be set for a move to West Ham United in the European summer.

Arsenal have lodged an official bid for the player - who is reportedly keen on a move to the Emirates Stadium - but according to Sky Sports he is closer to joining their London rivals.

Onyekuru is currently on international duty with Nigeria as they prepare for a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa this weekend.

The 20-year-old will fly into England on June 12 to hold talks with a number of clubs.

Aside from the Gunners and Hammers, Swansea, Everton, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion are also keen on landing the young forward.

Onyekuru, who scored 24 goals for Eupen in the 2016/17 season, has a £7.85-million release clause in his contract and is expected to be a Premier League player next term.

http://africanfootball.com/news/712965/Henry-Onyekuru-set-for-West-Ham-move

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
yes people did. I was among those who believed having both Enyeama and Ikeme in the team is great and Alampasu as third choice. That way we are grooming him for the future. The younger keepers can also compete with Alampasu. How old is Akpeyi and Ezenwa? Those keepers won't get better. it's a waste of slot.

safarigirl:
you think Nigerians have not begged him enough on social media for.h to feel the love? E be like say you never jam Nigerians on SM, they will even beg people that are considering playomg for us.

Na all these injuries Ikeme dey collect na wetin make us remember Vincent. Anybody dey mention Enyeama when Ikeme dey fit?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:21pm On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
yes people did. I was among those who believed having both Enyeama and Ikeme in the team is great and Alampasu as third choice. That way we are grooming him for the future. The younger keepers can also compete with Alampasu. How old is Akpeyi and Ezenwa? Those keepers won't get better. it's a waste of slot.

I didn't see people clamouring for him when we had a replacement sha, it's been over a year. Give it a rest
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 1:25pm On Jun 08, 2017
solanke scores for England

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:27pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
I didn't see people clamouring for him when we had a replacement sha, it's been over a year. Give it a rest

hi sweetie, plz no more history and geography. Plz we are all here to chop, drink, and sleep football cheers darling....cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
Onyekuru not prepared to be a bench player
By Colin Udoh, KweseESPN.

Arsenal target Henry Onyekuru says his next club destination will be determined by how much playing time he will get.

Onyekuru, 20, finished joint-top scorer in the Belgian league last season, despite it being his first season with KAS Eupen as they finished fourth from bottom.

His red-hot form has made him one of the most sought-after players in Europe, but Onyekuru says his first priority is playing time.

"The first and most important thing for a player is to get playing time," Onyekuru tells KweséESPN.

"I'm still young and I still have a long career to pursue but now I need to play.

"My agents are in talks with top clubs in the Premier League, Bundesliga, French league and others. If they accept our terms, then I'll make a decision.

"It's not just about going to a big club and sitting on the bench. It's not good for me, or being loaned to a club where I won't play or where I will struggle to play.

"The money can come later but for now, I just want to play to improve, not just to play for a big club," he explains.
Onyekuru, a self-confessed Arsenal fan, added that he would also like to join a club where he can challenge for, and win, trophies, not fight against relegation.

He says: "It was very hard for me last season in Belgium because we just got promoted and our first objective was to stay in the league.

"Sometimes I would score two goals and we would end up losing the game. That was tough for me. It was just God's favor that helped me because finishing 13th in the league but emerging joint top scorer was just amazing.

"So I won't like to go to a club where I will fight again just to stay in the league. I want to win trophies and if I can win trophies at my age, it will be good for me."

A whirlwind season also culminated in his getting a call up to the senior Nigeria squad, where he hopes to emulate his idol, former Arsenal star Nwankwo Kanu.

The striker added: "I used to watch [Kanu] a lot when he played for Nigeria and also Arsenal because I have been an Arsenal fan since [then], and I like the way he plays more with his head and not his strength."

There is another Arsenal connection for Onyekuru in the Nigeria squad in Alex Iwobi, who was reported to have weighed in about attracting the young striker to London.

Onyekuru says he was surprised to read the reports: "I saw that in the news and I was surprised. I didn't talk to Iwobi about anything."

As the Super Eagles prepare to face off against South Africa in a 2019 African Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday, the forward is confident that Gernot Rohr's young lads will triumph.

Onyekuru says: "The fact that the coach has never lost with Nigeria is part of what is giving us confidence and increasing our morale that we can't lose.

"I believe with the team we have and the team spirit we have we will come out victorious against South Africa. It won't be easy, but with the fans supporting us, we will come out victorious."

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/soccer-transfers/story/3140342/henry-onyekuru-not-prepared-to-be-a-bench-player

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:31pm On Jun 08, 2017
Until Enyeama hangs his gloves it will still be a topic of convo whether u like it or not lol.

safarigirl:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2017
terzurum5:

I asked this question because Dominic Iorfa is one of those who played professional football outside the country. If I am not mistaken or have not forgotten, I overhead someone saying he is the first Super Eagles player to open the door for others outside the country. I had always believed it is Stephen Keshi though.

CC; Icon4s, Komekn, etc

Teslim Balogun was our first recognized player to play over seas. I still know of one George Chiedozie that was playing in England in the early 80s. I think I saw him play.

Keshi I think was among the first of the modern era. Samuel Okwaraji was also a foreign player as at 1988. Etim Esin too as at 1987.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2017
lookman scores
England 2 1 Italy
ojo with the 2 assists

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Badosqi(m): 1:32pm On Jun 08, 2017
Eng 2-1 Italy

Solanke and Lookman

This England team is really good..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
Badosqi:
Eng 2-1 Italy
Solanke and Lookman
Nigerian team actually grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
Italy 1-2 Nigeria.. lol where nigerdeltaboy ? lol
Badosqi:
Eng 2-1 Italy

Solanke and Lookman

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:45pm On Jun 08, 2017
lol Naija reporters like to make up stories from their insinuations. I no go call name. We shouldn't take every report seriously. Anyways,
I like it that Onyekuru is thinking right. That's the kind of mindset I like our youngsters to have. And i hope he learns from Kanu in that respect. Because if he adds that to his game he will be a beast.

TheSuperNerd:

Arsenal target Henry Onyekuru says his next club destination will be determined by how much playing time he will get.

Onyekuru, 20, finished joint-top scorer in the Belgian league last season, despite it being his first season with KAS Eupen as they finished fourth from bottom.

His red-hot form has made him one of the most sought-after players in Europe, but Onyekuru says his first priority is playing time.

"The first and most important thing for a player is to get playing time," Onyekuru tells KweséESPN.

"I'm still young and I still have a long career to pursue but now I need to play.

"My agents are in talks with top clubs in the Premier League, Bundesliga, French league and others. If they accept our terms, then I'll make a decision.

"It's not just about going to a big club and sitting on the bench. It's not good for me, or being loaned to a club where I won't play or where I will struggle to play.

"The money can come later but for now, I just want to play to improve, not just to play for a big club," he explains.
Onyekuru, a self-confessed Arsenal fan, added that he would also like to join a club where he can challenge for, and win, trophies, not fight against relegation.

He says: "It was very hard for me last season in Belgium because we just got promoted and our first objective was to stay in the league.

"Sometimes I would score two goals and we would end up losing the game. That was tough for me. It was just God's favor that helped me because finishing 13th in the league but emerging joint top scorer was just amazing.

"So I won't like to go to a club where I will fight again just to stay in the league. I want to win trophies and if I can win trophies at my age, it will be good for me."

A whirlwind season also culminated in his getting a call up to the senior Nigeria squad, where he hopes to emulate his idol, former Arsenal star Nwankwo Kanu.

The striker added: "I used to watch [Kanu] a lot when he played for Nigeria and also Arsenal because I have been an Arsenal fan since [then], and I like the way he plays more with his head and not his strength."

There is another Arsenal connection for Onyekuru in the Nigeria squad in Alex Iwobi, who was reported to have weighed in about attracting the young striker to London.

Onyekuru says he was surprised to read the reports: "I saw that in the news and I was surprised. I didn't talk to Iwobi about anything."

As the Super Eagles prepare to face off against South Africa in a 2019 African Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday, the forward is confident that Gernot Rohr's young lads will triumph.

Onyekuru says: "The fact that the coach has never lost with Nigeria is part of what is giving us confidence and increasing our morale that we can't lose.

"I believe with the team we have and the team spirit we have we will come out victorious against South Africa. It won't be easy, but with the fans supporting us, we will come out victorious."

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/soccer-transfers/story/3140342/henry-onyekuru-not-prepared-to-be-a-bench-player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 1:45pm On Jun 08, 2017
Solanke makes it 3-1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2017
Other Africans say Nigerians are arrogant. it's kind of true. grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2017
Smart kid! Please don't follow the bad example (legacy?) of John Obi Mikel. And let's hope that Nacho is learning fast as well.

O pari

TheSuperNerd:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2017
Solanke for ballon d'or *in forgiveness voice* grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2017
terzurum5:

CC; Icon4s, Komekn, etc
My Man No o,Keshi was far ahead of Iorfa in professional stint,even Siasia,Egavoen,Yekini,Etim,Rufai ahead of him.When this guys are playing in Belgiun,Irofa was still in BCC lion of Gboko.

I remember Irofa moved to Atwerp fc in Belgium before gotten a record transfer to QPR in England but find it so difficult to break into Eagles Squad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:52pm On Jun 08, 2017
Well said O jare.... ur head dey dia.... cheesy

This is #PowerOfNaija at work biko.....

Solanke has chosen the most crucial stage of the competition to strike the real blows... he has four goals now at the U-20s.... Fine player indeed.

Ojo impressing... Lookman doing great things...

Tomori rock solid.... Ejaria also when given his chance have done his bits.

Abeg..... England... we say thank you for letting us see these lads in action against their Peers in South Korea... thank you for the sponsorship..... grin

We will take it from here now.... after the final with that exciting new generation of Venezuelan jogo bonito youngsters.... grin

Ehmmmmm.... True... all will not play for us.... but ehmmmmm... we may yet get two or three of them or maybe just one... anyhow shaa.... time will tell.

jotey:

Nigerian team actually grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2017
Two Nigerians just ensured that England gets to her first final in a football competition in half a century or so.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1073) (1074) (1075) (1076) (1077) (1078) (1079) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, Marjoribanks and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.