Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10886) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11676662 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10883) (10884) (10885) (10886) (10887) (10888) (10889) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:37am On Jul 05, 2021
humility33:

Money that they'll loot
You guys think corruption in Nigeria is child's play

The politicians are everywhere even in sport management like vultures ready to steal any available fund

Corruption in Nigeria is chronic

When i read this story on Gloria Alozie, and how its same old same old, can't but agree with you that Salvation is nowhere near our Sports Administration soon.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 1:58am On Jul 05, 2021
They need to perform brain surgery on npfl coaches. They do not teach their players ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL. npfl players have zero knowledge of football tactics and do not play with their brain.
maybe coaches should have some level of certification before they are allowed to coach. It seems any tom, dick and Harry can coach in Nigeria.
From what I know if a player is not educated in modern football tactics by the age of 21 it becomes difficult to change.
This is what is happening to npfl guys. It may be those above 21 simply cannot be trained again as they are set in their ways. The ignorance is irritating. This is why they will fail trails in Europe. Even the players need reorientation and brain surgery. They are a product of horrible coaching. I am tired.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 3:44am On Jul 05, 2021
cc12:
I'm not against them playing international friendlies but they should play against home based African countries and not the North American football giant Mexico.

LOL... Bro, na true talk be dis o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 3:51am On Jul 05, 2021
What were fans expecting home based players to play against Mexico, mbok? Were they expecting amateur players to perform magic against Mexico.? It seems a lot of people have not yet come to terms with the state of the home league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 4:11am On Jul 05, 2021
Chukweze is going to Lille!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:47am On Jul 05, 2021
fabyom:
Bit of a downgrade imo. Positives is he could get an EPL move if he hits the ground running.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:02am On Jul 05, 2021
edi287:

Bit of a downgrade imo. Positives is he could get an EPL move if he hits the ground running.

This is a very good development it will aid his improvement, he has been very stagnant at Villarreal

I will be very happy if this is true

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:13am On Jul 05, 2021
Subzero047:

This is a very good development it will aid his improvement, he has been very stagnant at Villarreal

I will be very happy if this is true
Perhaps it would reinvigorate his career a bit. Still feels like a downgrade...he should be moving to the Epl from Villarreal.
Time will tell sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:16am On Jul 05, 2021
edi287:

Perhaps it would reinvigorate his career a bit. Still feels like a downgrade...he should be moving to the Epl from Villarreal.
Time will tell sha.

Sometimes downgrades are very necessary, unfortunately there is no strong links
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:25am On Jul 05, 2021
Subzero047:

Sometimes downgrades are very necessary, unfortunately there is no strong links
Either way, he'll be playing ucl football which is the most important thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 7:30am On Jul 05, 2021
fabyom:
Lille can't afford chukweze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:15am On Jul 05, 2021
humility33:

Money that they'll loot

The politicians are everywhere even in sport management like vultures ready to steal any available fund

grin

Those government employees sitting where there is no media spotlight are the biggest thiefs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:15am On Jul 05, 2021
fabyom:
Source
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:21am On Jul 05, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Source

Eba and Banga soup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:44am On Jul 05, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
It seems like you don't just get what pisses everyone off. Its not about the scorelines, there was just nothing good about that game.

For the algeria game, I can remember shots from Iwobi, Ebuehi, Iheanacho. But this NPFL team just played nothing. The Algeria game can't even be compared to what I watched yesterday.

In fact, a slightly better team will lose by more goals to Mexico, because those guys literally confused Mexico with their rough and scattered gameplay. TBH, the superfalcons were more technical.

Can you even compare the defense in Algeria against what we watched?

When local players involve you expect basco to agree with you ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 9:44am On Jul 05, 2021
WHY FOOTBALL ACADEMIES HAVE MORE TO OFFER THAN THE NIGERIAN LEAGUE PLAYERS

Why academies outshine NPFL clubs in talents export – Agents
’Tosin Oluwalowo
30 July 2020

Nigerian football agents say the prospects of playing for top European sides is the major reason why a large number of the country’s up-and-coming prefer playing for academies to play for Nigerian leagues clubs.

Football academies have been the latest exit point for Nigerian players seeking to join top European clubs, with Golden Eaglets captain to the 2019 U-17 World Cup in Brazil, Samson Tijani earlier this month sealing a lucrative move to Austrian champions, Red Bull Salzburg, from Lagos-based academy, Collins Edwin Sports Club.

Super Eagles trio, Samuel Chukwueze, Wilfred Ndidi, and Kelechi Iheanacho sealed moves to big European clubs from local academies. While Chukwueze joined Spanish LaLiga side Villarreal from Umuahia-based Diamond Football Academy, Ndidi joined Belgian Pro League side, Genk, from Nath Boys Academy of Lagos, with Iheanacho moving directly to Manchester City from Taye Academy of Owerri.

A look at the present Eagles squad shows that only Ahmed Musa, Oghenekaro Etebo and Daniel Akpeyi played in the local league before moving abroad.

While the list of Nigerians who have joined big European clubs from little-known academies is on the rise, Nigeria Professional Football League clubs, the nation’s flagship professional league, has struggled to Import quality talents to Europe.

Those who move usually find themselves in the backwater leagues in Europe.

Some agents, who spoke with our correspondent, said Nigerian league clubs paraded too many old players and expensive, which puts off European scouts.

“Most NPFL clubs don’t have quality young players; they rely on older players with experience. NPFL clubs also put big money on the players. When you place $1m or $500,000 on a player, the club which wants the player will want to see his quality and age. For them to invest money, the player must be young. You can’t place $1m on a player that is 29 years when the clubs can get younger players from the academies,” an agent, Marshal Mbre, told The PUNCH.

Read Also
NPFL clubs flout COVID-19 vaccination order, shun tests
NPFL: Aikhoje wants stiffer sanctions against erring clubs
COVID-19: NPFL clubs to test players before matches
“Most NPFL coaches don’t take time to develop their players and teach them what they should know, because at a certain age, you can’t learn again. The clubs who claim they have feeder teams also place players who are relatives of government officials in the teams, they just keep them there to pay them allowances. I have gone to an NPFL club and the feeder team players are older than the first team players. They just take in players who are short and claim they are aged 15 or 16 when in fact they are older than the first team players,” he added.

Another agent, Friday Kujah, stated, “Nigerian clubs pick players from academies and sign them on maybe a three-year deal, but when a foreign club shows interest in the player, they demand for between $300,000 and $1m. Nigerian league clubs are only using the players as personal properties and an avenue to make money.

“Academy owners are ready to invest in players and train them to bring the best out of them but when NPFL clubs hear a player has trained, they will start making demands from the clubs.”

Sunshine Stars chairman, Tajudeen Akinyemi, said NPFL clubs’ penchant for old players made it difficult for them to export talents to Europe’s top sides.

“When the likes of Daniel Amokachi, Finidi George, Mutiu Adepoju left for European leagues, they left from our local league. But presently things are not working like they used to be, we are lucky that we still have academies that are producing talents,” Akinyemi told The PUNCH.

“I once asked a player who came for trials in Sunshine his age and he replied me, ‘are asking for my football age or real age, sir?’ The difference between his real age and football age was nine years. So, clubs must ensure they recruit players who are really young, not old ones with fake ages. This is where we got it wrong; we must find a solution to this type of thing. And if we don’t do it, the NPFL will have a lot of problems.”

Copyright PUNCH.

https://punchng.com/why-academies-outshine-npfl-clubs-in-talents-export-agents/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 10:10am On Jul 05, 2021
Philosopher1979:
WHY FOOTBALL ACADEMIES HAVE MORE TO OFFER THAN THE NIGERIAN LEAGUE PLAYERS

Why academies outshine NPFL clubs in talents export – Agents
’Tosin Oluwalowo
30 July 2020

Nigerian football agents say the prospects of playing for top European sides is the major reason why a large number of the country’s up-and-coming prefer playing for academies to play for Nigerian leagues clubs.

Football academies have been the latest exit point for Nigerian players seeking to join top European clubs, with Golden Eaglets captain to the 2019 U-17 World Cup in Brazil, Samson Tijani earlier this month sealing a lucrative move to Austrian champions, Red Bull Salzburg, from Lagos-based academy, Collins Edwin Sports Club.

Super Eagles trio, Samuel Chukwueze, Wilfred Ndidi, and Kelechi Iheanacho sealed moves to big European clubs from local academies. While Chukwueze joined Spanish LaLiga side Villarreal from Umuahia-based Diamond Football Academy, Ndidi joined Belgian Pro League side, Genk, from Nath Boys Academy of Lagos, with Iheanacho moving directly to Manchester City from Taye Academy of Owerri.

A look at the present Eagles squad shows that only Ahmed Musa, Oghenekaro Etebo and Daniel Akpeyi played in the local league before moving abroad.

While the list of Nigerians who have joined big European clubs from little-known academies is on the rise, Nigeria Professional Football League clubs, the nation’s flagship professional league, has struggled to Import quality talents to Europe.

Those who move usually find themselves in the backwater leagues in Europe.

Some agents, who spoke with our correspondent, said Nigerian league clubs paraded too many old players and expensive, which puts off European scouts.

“Most NPFL clubs don’t have quality young players; they rely on older players with experience. NPFL clubs also put big money on the players. When you place $1m or $500,000 on a player, the club which wants the player will want to see his quality and age. For them to invest money, the player must be young. You can’t place $1m on a player that is 29 years when the clubs can get younger players from the academies,” an agent, Marshal Mbre, told The PUNCH.

Read Also
NPFL clubs flout COVID-19 vaccination order, shun tests
NPFL: Aikhoje wants stiffer sanctions against erring clubs
COVID-19: NPFL clubs to test players before matches
“Most NPFL coaches don’t take time to develop their players and teach them what they should know, because at a certain age, you can’t learn again. The clubs who claim they have feeder teams also place players who are relatives of government officials in the teams, they just keep them there to pay them allowances. I have gone to an NPFL club and the feeder team players are older than the first team players. They just take in players who are short and claim they are aged 15 or 16 when in fact they are older than the first team players,” he added.

Another agent, Friday Kujah, stated, “Nigerian clubs pick players from academies and sign them on maybe a three-year deal, but when a foreign club shows interest in the player, they demand for between $300,000 and $1m. Nigerian league clubs are only using the players as personal properties and an avenue to make money.

“Academy owners are ready to invest in players and train them to bring the best out of them but when NPFL clubs hear a player has trained, they will start making demands from the clubs.”

Sunshine Stars chairman, Tajudeen Akinyemi, said NPFL clubs’ penchant for old players made it difficult for them to export talents to Europe’s top sides.

“When the likes of Daniel Amokachi, Finidi George, Mutiu Adepoju left for European leagues, they left from our local league. But presently things are not working like they used to be, we are lucky that we still have academies that are producing talents,” Akinyemi told The PUNCH.

“I once asked a player who came for trials in Sunshine his age and he replied me, ‘are asking for my football age or real age, sir?’ The difference between his real age and football age was nine years. So, clubs must ensure they recruit players who are really young, not old ones with fake ages. This is where we got it wrong; we must find a solution to this type of thing. And if we don’t do it, the NPFL will have a lot of problems.”

Copyright PUNCH.

https://punchng.com/why-academies-outshine-npfl-clubs-in-talents-export-agents/
grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 10:14am On Jul 05, 2021
All those home base wey person watch self, Walai all of them don pass 30 grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:02am On Jul 05, 2021
dozai:
Mbape minus speed = Theo walcourt. You can argue with your keyboard. Just my observation.
Ikedia or even Hussein Bolt sef. Athletes have taken over football. Run, pass, run, pass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:04am On Jul 05, 2021
realpoacher:
At this point I don't care if the Hungarians go home, they have really given Germany a fight

If it were a certain Rohr that was their coach, he probably would have been singing like a canary to the whole world about how useless his team is ,and how they won't survive a group of death
Until Rohr leaves Nigeria football will not see the light. The man is a dinosaur playing stone age football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:16am On Jul 05, 2021
daveP:

The HB Eagles im referring to actually, not the main SE Team.

Alright.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:37am On Jul 05, 2021
dozai:
Mbape minus speed = Theo walcourt. You can argue with your keyboard. Just my observation.

Haba, same Walcott wey get Speed?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:50am On Jul 05, 2021
Ppogbae:
The issue people don't realize is that poor displays like that tarnish our brand internationally. Prior to the friendly, most Mexicans were excited to face the likes of Osimhen, Ndidi et al. When most people think of us, they think of our brilliant 1994 WC performance and our competitive rivalry with the Argentines. Today's loss really devalued our brand and many on twitter were unimpressed with how poor we looked. I've said this beore and I'll say it again: we need to start taking friendlies more seriously.

Nobody is still thinking of us by our 1994 World Cup
Performance ,trust me

Nigerians should move on from 1994 past glory abeg

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:54am On Jul 05, 2021
edi287:
There's not ONE player from yesterday that would make our first 11. That's the point! No one expected those guys to beat Mexico.
Rohr for all his flaws is 100 percent right in his views on our home based players.
Rohr is not the problem of our local football - NFF is. I'm happy as we've seen the best(hopefully not) of the local based players that are 100 percent better than the "overrated foreign born players" like Eze, Toru, Tosin, etc.
Agreed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:09pm On Jul 05, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
I will maintain that I saw some good things. The goals were embarrassing though.

You must always see good things in mediocrity

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:12pm On Jul 05, 2021
edi287:
Hopefully these guys will take something out of this experience.
I truly hope this isn't the best the NPFL can offer. Truth is not one of these guys are good enough to challenge the bench players we have much less the first 11 of SE.

What bench ?

None of these guys are good enough to challenge uncapped players like nwobodo and co

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
humility33:

Money that they'll loot

Its as if wailing is bread and butter to you. Person opine solution but you must just wail

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Super eagles played worse against Algeria and u all know it.

You deserve beating for this japata ekuke statement

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2021
andrewbaba44:

You deserve beating for this japata ekuke statement
You and this japata ehhh
Ehen
I been see your comment on 1 thread like that and you mention japata and something, I can't remember. Shey you remember
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:48pm On Jul 05, 2021
Toylove:

You and this japata ehhh
Ehen
I been see your comment on 1 thread like that and you mention japata and something, I can't remember. Shey you remember

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
Anderlecht bid 5m euros for former u23 striker taiwo awoniyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2021
saw it few days ago online. atletico are interested as well
JohnBullMySon:
Source

(1) (2) (3) ... (10883) (10884) (10885) (10886) (10887) (10888) (10889) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.