Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,442 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11004) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11656776 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11001) (11002) (11003) (11004) (11005) (11006) (11007) ... (16148) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

I think this retirement thing is overstated, and is more bants than facts.

Because Turkey sign a lot of older players doesn't necessarily mean the league is pant.

Look at Burak Yilmas for example. Spent all his life in Turkey and moved to a top 5 league for the first time last season.

At 35 years of age, he still dominated and won the French Ligue 1.

Burak Yilmas case is an enigma not necessarily that its a normality, the point still remains that Turkey is not a developmental league

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:54pm On Aug 02, 2021
The three players that were handed to Lille in part exchange for Osimhen have been released

This case smells badly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 4:56pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

If Europe is the criteria for quality, then you are contradicting yourself.

3 Turkish teams have reached the Quarter Finals of the UCL. No Belgium club have ever achieved this.

Turkey has one Europa League semi-finalist, Belgium has never reached this stage.

Yet you rate Belgium as a better development league.

When did Turkish teams reach those feet I am not talking of like 15 years ago please

The turkish teams i see play trash

Every year we see young lads from Belgium get snapped by english, Belgium and french clubs and eventually some later became a phenomenon but can't say same for Turkish league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 4:59pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

I think this retirement thing is overstated, and is more bants than facts.

Because Turkey sign a lot of older players doesn't necessarily mean the league is pant.

Look at Burak Yilmas for example. Spent all his life in Turkey and moved to a top 5 league for the first time last season.

At 35 years of age, he still dominated and won the French Ligue 1.

Just one stance out of many
Will give u numers from the Belgian league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2021
As it stands in the continental race....let's not forget that if Nasarawa win the aiteo cup it turns to top 4 instead of 3.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Gbam I wonder why anybody should be comfortable with an U25 Nigerian player going to Turkey, that place is the graveyard of Europe
Me too hold same opinion thats why I will never take nwaziem serious he keep heading to turkey as if he forgot his phone charger there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
As it stands in the continental race....let's not forget that if Nasarawa win the aiteo cup it turns to top 4 instead of 3.
Congrats Basco

Kennedy Boboye really did wonders with awka united. Whooping 71 points wit a match to spare is uncommon in the NPFL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 5:09pm On Aug 02, 2021
charlesemeka85:
Mr. Amaju Pinnick made a statement on Shola Shoretire playing for Nigeria.

"I spoke with his parents and they gave me their words that he will play for Nigeria. He hasn't represented ��at any level so it was a straight forward decision. He was pencilled down for the U20 Afcon qualifiers. Even if we did the World cup was later cancelled due to Coronavirus.

That said I know how excited he was when he was told about representing Nigeria. No hassles over waiting for ��. He wanted us badly but now we have to wait and see. He is now on the spotlight".
grin grin Pinnick has started again, until the boy starts saying "it's flattering to be linked to Nigeria" like his predecessors
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 5:14pm On Aug 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Burak Yilmas case is an enigma not necessarily that its a normality, the point still remains that Turkey is not a developmental league

What do you mean by developmental?

Do you mean playing in the Turkish league doesn't make you better?

Or, players from Turkish league don't develop into bigger teams?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:23pm On Aug 02, 2021
humility33:

Congrats Basco

Kennedy Boboye really did wonders with awka united. Whooping 71 points wit a match to spare is uncommon in the NPFL

Thank you very much. U are right 71, points is not easy. The last to reach that number was Enyimba in 2015. I think Kennedy Boboye is definitely the best coach in the NPFL at this moment. Anybody else would have thrown in the towel after the club sold 2 key players mid season but he kept the boat afloat and has now gotten his reward.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 5:24pm On Aug 02, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
lol. This can happen to anyone na grin.

It doesn't have to with who was born abroad and home. Even players born at home will do the same thing. Or was it only the exact 14 players that did it? Even you will do the same thing. Logically, If you were given costly souvenirs will you throw them away to pack uniforms you have already worn?

The only problem here was that they didn't think it through. Small issues like this can make some people very annoyed. Actually, many FB players who play for Nigeria have Nigeria in their heart. Even those who rejected. The thing is that when you have bigger opportunities around you. It's difficult turning it down. If you are a talented executive with great potential, and you have two offers to be CEO of FirstBank or JP Morgan, which one will you choose? wink
there where 15 players in the team 14 of them born in America did it only the one born and raised in Mexico took her Jersey back and she has posted a picture of the jerseys
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

Turkish league is focused on results (crazily) they don't focus on good football or talent development that's why scouts rarely look their way
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2021
humility33:

Me too hold same opinion thats why I will never take nwaziem serious he keep heading to turkey as if he forgot his phone charger there

He wants money, he can get all the money he wants for the mean time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:48pm On Aug 02, 2021
Enyimba concede late again!!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Thank you very much. U are right 71, points is not easy. The last to reach that number was Enyimba in 2015. I think Kennedy Boboye is definitely the best coach in the NPFL at this moment. Anybody else would have thrown in the towel after the club sold 2 key players mid season but he kept the boat afloat and has now gotten his reward.

coupled with your key players that were used in prosecuting the Mexico match

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:04pm On Aug 02, 2021
As we stand

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:07pm On Aug 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Turkish league is focused on results (crazily) they don't focus on good football or talent development that's why scouts rarely look their way

I agree they don't focus on talent development. That is why it is a big deal when a youngster does well there.

I don't know what you mean by focusing on results and not good football, the Portuguese League is the most defensive in Europe, yet they have churned some of the world's finest.

Turkey isn't that bad, playing against proven players like Ozil every week can't be worse than playing against unproven youngsters in Belgium.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2021
kingphilip:
coupled with your key players that were used in prosecuting the Mexico match

I won't lie I wasn't sure how we were going to fare. Especially with Samson just coming back into the team but once again no matter who the coach plays they always perform.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:17pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

I agree they don't focus on talent development. That is why it is a big deal when a youngster does well there.

I don't know what you mean by focusing on results and not good football, the Portuguese League is the most defensive in Europe, yet they have churned some of the world's finest.

Turkey isn't that bad, playing against proven players like Ozil every week can't be worse than playing against unproven youngsters in Belgium.

'Proven players like Ozil' grin, proves my point about the old cargoes. I tell you again Turkey is not a developmental league I don't know why you are trying to make non existent arguments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:21pm On Aug 02, 2021
Kenneth Omeruo got 2 boys from his own academy signed to Leganes.

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

This is how you pay it forward. Well done to everyone involved.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 6:38pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
Nice one.
Congrats to Akwa united
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

It's essentially a retirement league.

When you are coming to the end of your career and no longer able to cut it, in more competitive leagues with better quality players. You go to Turkey ☪ take advantage of the very favourable tax regime and eventually retire.

Its probably the highest paying league for players lacking in true quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by abcnn: 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2021
Blueelf:

Been saying this since ancient times

That dude was overrated

Dark elf has returned to his dark ways. Why say Mikel is overrated sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 6:52pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

As long as Pillars is not there grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2021
PROVERBZ:
there where 15 players in the team 14 of them born in America did it only the one born and raised in Mexico took her Jersey back and she has posted a picture of the jerseys
I don't know the details of what occurred and how much of what you're saying is fact, but just know that it's not all about born or not born in Nigeria. And you can't just allow one example to inform your opinion. Last week, Balogun and Metu did call out the Nigerian officials to sit up. That's some level of concern coming from them, Isn't it? Let me just address your genuine concerns.

The main issue with sports is not only government. It's also an interest thing. That comes before government. Also I see that people are absolving the state governments when they should be the ones bearing the brunt of the grassroot developments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2021
PROVERBZ:
Mexicans are left feeling ashamed after there soft ball federation in an attempt to glory hunt, invited 14 USA born players who have never been to Mexico, don't speak Spanish into their team and left proud Mexicans whose only dream was to represent Mexico and nobody else.
Now fast forward after the tournament the players trew away the uniforms and flags they were given into the trash in other to make space in their bags for free stuffs they got from the Olympics such as bedspread.
Now the news has made all major news sites and the Mexicans feeling so ashamed and coursing out their federation for choosing the easy way out instead of focusing on developing the game in Mexico(inviting people who didn't know jack shit about what being Mexican felt like to represent them.)
I can't wait for this to happen to Nigeria, let's see if we can get some national pride and try to develope the game at home instead of waiting around like a vulture to take unwanted players from this 1st world countries.

I am not surprised anymore.

But l have met multiple youth born and bred in Logos that cannot speak Yoruba.

A large part of the South South youths cannot speak the traditional language of their Fathers.

On the other hand l have met children born in the UK who speak Yoruba and Igbo fluently, not a lot but quite a few.

I could add myself to that list Speaking two Nigerian languages.

Are we therefore more Nigerian than the Nigerian born in Nigeria. I would not say so.

What therfore in your opinion the key component that makes you more Nigerian.

I could say controversially the ability to accept administrative mediocrity, Godfatherism and corruption. But l will not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:05pm On Aug 02, 2021
humility33:

When did Turkish teams reach those feet I am not talking of like 15 years ago please

The turkish teams i see play trash

Every year we see young lads from Belgium get snapped by english, Belgium and french clubs and eventually some later became a phenomenon but can't say same for Turkish league

These are 2008 and 2013 achievements.

Your second point is relative. Belgium have more youngsters in first teams than Turkey, hence why they got more moves.

For example, in the two seasons before last, 8 of the 20 players who contributed 15+ goals in Belgium were u25.

On the other hand, Turkey had 31 15+ goal players in the same period, but only 3 were u25.

But the funny thing is 100% of those youngsters in Turkey got a move to a top 5 league. While just 5 from Belgium got their move.

So it's obvious, Turkey is so saturated with experienced heads that if a youngster performs well, the big clubs come calling.

And when you say Turkey play trash, that one is subjective.

Belgian champions, Club Brugge are not much better than Besiktas, who won their league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Yes with no dispute he is the best coach at the moment wish he can drafted to manage under 20 team while he understudy any European coach of his choice

Enyimba got 70 points in 2015 remember kadiri Ikhana coached that team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

These are 2008 and 2013 achievements.

Your second point is relative. Belgium have more youngsters in first teams than Turkey, hence why they got more moves.

For example, in the two seasons before last, 8 of the 20 players who contributed 15+ goals in Belgium were u25.

On the other hand, Turkey had 31 15+ goal players in the same period, but only 3 were u25.

But the funny thing is 100% of those youngsters in Turkey got a move to a top 5 league. While just 5 from Belgium got their move.

So it's obvious, Turkey is so saturated with experienced heads that if a youngster performs well, the big clubs come calling.

And when you say Turkey play trash, that one is subjective.

Belgian champions, Club Brugge are not much better than Besiktas, who won their league.

How come despite Onyekuru play in that league no big club came calling? A youngster in Belgium is rated higher and well priced than a youngster in turkish league

Thanks for enlightening me on the 2008 and 2013 mid success in europe will check further though

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2021
komekn:

It's essentially a retirement league.

When you are coming to the end of your career and no longer able to cut it, in more competitive leagues with better quality players. You go to Turkey ☪ take advantage of the very favourable tax regime and eventually retire.

Its probably the highest paying league for players lacking in true quality.

100% true.

But I completely oppose the claim that moving to Turkey as a youngster will regress your game.

Turkey doesn't focus on youth, doesn't mean the league is an abomination.

If you are a youngster, move there, get good numbers and the big clubs will come. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 7:13pm On Aug 02, 2021
komekn:

I am not surprised anymore.

But l have met multiple youth born and bred in Logos that cannot speak Yoruba.

A large part of the South South youths cannot speak the traditional language of their Fathers.

On the other hand l have met children born in the UK who speak Yoruba and Igbo fluently, not a lot but quite a few.

I could add myself to that list Speaking two Nigerian languages.

Are we therefore more Nigerian than the Nigerian born in Nigeria. I would not say so.

What therfore in your opinion the key component that makes you more Nigerian.

I could say controversially the ability to accept administrative mediocrity, Godfatherism and corruption. But l will not.
Welcome back komekn grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11001) (11002) (11003) (11004) (11005) (11006) (11007) ... (16148) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), caprikon, mostob(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.