Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,418 members, 7,853,823 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11889880 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) (1109) ... (16275) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:20pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho drop to the middle!!!

The midfield was overcrowded with Etebo, Onazi and Ndidi pushing forward. Our defenders also aided playing the high line.

We just lacked accurate through passes. Not dropping to the middle.

But you claimed Iheanacho was starved of decisive Passes. If he couldn't get it, then he should have hustled for it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2017
today match was a good experience for our young team
we lost but we will get better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2017
tglobal:
I preface my comment by saying I am not someone who understands tactical formations. I however have an observation on Nigeria's perfomances in the past using the 4-3-3 formation.

I have never understood why coaches try to shoehorn the Super Eagles into this formation that has never brought out the best in our teams. The golden era of our football saw us thrive with playing 2 at the front. We had a Yekini/Amokachi, Yekini/ Siasia, Kanu/Amokachi pairing at different times. I also observed that Keshi's team did well with playing Emenike/Ideye in front at Afcon 2013. Keshi appeared to have experimented with 4-3-3 prior to the quarter finals and the team barely scaled through our group. We were more devastating when he reverted to using two men upfront resulting in Nigeria breezing through the rest of our matches. For some reason, even he didn't stick with his winning formula with the exception of he match against Italy where he used Ameobi / Dike combo to devastating effect.

My belief is that teams should be allowed to play to their strengths irrespective of whatever formation is in vogue. Conte rejigged his tea to play to Chelsea's strength and all of a sudden 3-4-3 looks romantic even though its been around forever. Ranieri did the same with Leicester two seasons ago using 4-4-2, only for him to tinker with the team last season to disastrous effect

problem was that we were not even playing a 4-3-3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2017
Chrismario:

Re u talking about this particular match?
Iheanacho was lost, too poor.
He should be dragging flop of the match wit alex

What are you saying? Did you watch the game at all. There was so much chance for Iheanacho to score up to three goals in the first half but unfortunately no one could give him a good pass.

How can attacker get blamed for not getting good supplies.

Na wa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2017
Icon79:
Nah, I doubt it. It wasn't a part of my DSTV pack in Naija. And I purchased the full package.

O pari

But i think there's a different receiver for it. Like dstv.
That's what I'm asking. If its available in naija
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What about experience in the post? The Akpeyi was a calamity. Please explain the spilling of the ball.

Awaziem went for the same ball with Akpeyi who was distracted as such which is largely responsible for the spilling.

However, where I would blame Akpeyi is his lack of communication with the on rushing Awaziem.

You have not told me who left Rantie unmarked with Plenty of space and time to nod that ball and say you are not being sentimental?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:24pm On Jun 10, 2017
Am really disappointed. I was expecting a win(not an easy one anyway). its painful tho. but this is football.
Lemme drop my take on the team..

1) Iwobi isn't a winger!.... I mentioned earlier some days ago that I would love to see Iwobi play the no.10 role, the reasons are there for all to see.. Iwobi is creative no doubt,he got some tricks too and can read the game well. but he lacks the major requirement of a typical winger and that's PACE. The dude can't run. He is just tricky. playing him on the flanks will be a waste. Wenger and Rohr should take note

2) Our goalkeeping department needs overhaul.... Daniel Akpeyi isn't different from Chigozie Agbim. That's a fact. he us sloppy and lacks the ability to read the game... he can't even organize his defense. That Alloy Agu should be sacked if he is too lazy to scout for new goalkeepers. We can't rely on Ikeme forever. he is 30 and injury prone..

3) Iheanacho isn't a striker... Iheanacho hasn't shined in most of the game where he has been deployed as a lone striker. He would do better playing behind the striker,his creativity is needed there

4) We missed Mikel... To be frank,have never been a big fan of Mikel,but today,I realise how important he is to the team.. His experience and defensive play was missed today.. Onazi isn't captain material. at least not yet.

5) We need a new left back. Echijele is off form..
6) Etebo,Osimhen and Ndidi are the future.. Today wasn't their day but they would be vital parr of the team in the future..

I could go on and on.... Today was really bad... I hope Rohr and his crew would look into the mistakes and make the necessary corrections. Cameron won't be easy to beat ....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oasis007:

But you claimed Iheanacho was starved of decisive Passes. If he couldn't get it, then he should have hustled for it.

We crowded the midfield, which meant we had opportunity to create chances. Nacho was in position to capitalize on the chances. Unfortunately, the ball came to the right position for the final balls but the final balls were bad. You can nor tell a striker to hustle in that position. What we needed was the right personnel to create it. Not attacker hustling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

Seriously their Eyes ain't clear yet. Some of them are claiming you are sentiment, yet they are the ones being sentiment.

Some were even calling for the Head of Simon Moses as if the Lad was the most poor in the Pitch.

Iheanacho played nothing, he couldn't drop to the middle to help, Iwobi was disappointed, Ndidi was lost, Etebo couldn't convert a well laid Pass, also couldn't make a single decisive Pass as an AM, yet Simon was the one to be blamed.

Thank God Musa didn't play in the first Half, he would have been condemned to Death.
I also think musa would have been made scape goat today
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What are you saying? Did you watch the game at all. There was so much chance for Iheanacho to score up to three goals in the first half but unfortunately no one could give him a good pass.

How can attacker get blamed for not getting good supplies.

Na wa.

He didn't get passes doesn't mean he had a good game.
Funny,,, he had a wonderful game and was first sub.

Really funny.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:27pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We crowded the midfield, which meant we had opportunity to create chances. Nacho was in position to capitalize on the chances. Unfortunately, the ball came to the right position for the final balls but the final balls were bad. You can nor tell a striker to hustle in that position. What we needed was the right personnel to create it. Not attacker hustling.

grin

In Forgiveness Voice - Ajagun would have been the Man!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:27pm On Jun 10, 2017
eterisan:
Please can you explain how the ball got close to Akpeyi? Who let the striker get free run! Let me repeat icon4s if it were omeruo we for nor hear word today! My conclusion is you are not objective in your analysis. Very one sided ..You and forgiveness? I dont even know who is worse! I support nacho but the guy was piss poor today.. As a striker void of service what are you supposed to do? He stay front there they wait ball.. Dono if he had up to 10 successful passes today

I have always said this to TheGoodJoe. He is a good analyst but he is often sentimental. All this blaming of Akpeyi is just to make a case for Alampasu.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Go and watch how many balls Awaziem won. I wonder if you know what damn terrible. The problem came when our defensive midfield guys pushed forward. It is very logical. Even Rio Ferdinand and Tony Adams will get overrun in that situation.

By half time, I warned about it. The gap was too much. Even Ekong had it rough and was not his usual composed self. We left too much gap.

Explain the experience spilling of the ball.
Yea u are right,I wish Omeruo started today but after re watch Nigeria vs South Africa match in uyo were we are held to two two draw,i just changed my mind coz Omeruo was awful but one thing still baffling me why Awaziem a porto team B player in d d heart of Nigeria defence,honestly Rohr should stop all this rookies fast integration into national team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
Yea, that's what I meant. I just installed my dstv in March and they don't have beIN sports

O pari

EmmGee:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2017
EmmGee:

I also think musa would have been made scape goat today

grin

Oga don't think..... that's the Reality! Musa would have been called all Names. Imagine them defending Awaziem, Iheanacho, Ndidi and Co, but quick to blame Shehu and Simon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2017
Everybody get your calculators. wink wink wink We are back to calculating who loses and who we need to win. Already we will beat Seychelles home and away with 6pts. Libya will be a cracker. If we beat them here and draw away, our total will be 11pts. If we draw South Africa away, can we still qualify with 12pts?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2017
Chrismario:

He didn't get passes doesn't mean he had a good game.
Funny,,, he had a wonderful game and was first sub.

Really funny.

That sub was wrong. I even commented about it. We were not creating clear cut chances. Why take off the striker for another striker. It is not magic. Kayode was going to get starved upfront and it happened exactly.

Etebo off was the right call. Go into a two strikers set up with Kayode upfront and Iheanacho connecting with the middle.

Even our only clear cut chance came from Iheanacho to Etebo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:30pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

Seriously their Eyes ain't clear yet. Some of them are claiming you are sentiment, yet they are the ones being sentiment.

Some were even calling for the Head of Simon Moses as if the Lad was the most poor in the Pitch.

Iheanacho played nothing, he couldn't drop to the middle to help, Iwobi was disappointed, Ndidi was lost, Etebo couldn't convert a well laid Pass, also couldn't make a single decisive Pass as an AM, yet Simon was the one to be blamed.

Thank God Musa didn't play in the first Half, he would have been condemned to Death.

Hahahahahah! Seriously! I don't know how dem dey watch their ball. Iheanacho brings nothing to the no 9 position. If you see as people dey vex for am for where I saw the match when he was substituted, you go know say it's only here on this thread they think he is the best thing since guguru and epa to play as a striker. grin

I dey hear 'common getaway you... Tah... Let him return to the midfield... He is not a striker.

We saw how close we almost scored when Kayode was brought in but somebody on this thread asked where is Kayode? grin

The truth is people attach to much sentiment when dey analyse players and matches.

If Rohr sticks to this same selection, him supporters eyes go clear wella. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:30pm On Jun 10, 2017
Humility017:

yeah
hopefully we beat Seychelles in our next match
Libya beat RSA... next
then we can take off from there....
I am still hopeful
sorry Libya can't defeat this south Africa team,we need to defeat south Africa 2-0 right in their backyard
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 10, 2017
Tho Akpeyi was poor, but the first goal wasn't his fault, Awaziem totally missed Rantie

But Akpeyi, always invite unnecessary pressure onto himself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:31pm On Jun 10, 2017
Mickael2:

problem was that we were not even playing a 4-3-3

grin

We played 4-2-3-1. Yet the Midfield was porous and couldn't save their Lives!

Shame!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:33pm On Jun 10, 2017
enomakos:
sorry Libya can't defeat this south Africa team,we need to defeat south Africa 2-0 right in their backyard

undecided

They don start..... too much Prophets are on this Thread. It's good to be optimistic, but in some cases optimism won't work, hence one needs to be a Realist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

That sub was wrong. I even commented about it. We were not creating clear cut chances. Why take off the striker for another striker. It is not magic. Kayode was going to get starved upfront and it happened exactly.

Etebo off was the right call. Go into a two strikers set up with Kayode upfront and Iheanacho connecting with the middle.

Even our only clear cut chance came from Iheanacho to Etebo.

Still,,, Iheanacho was below average
So stop saying he did lot brilliant runs cos those runs re just imaginary.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

We played 4-2-3-1. Yet the Midfield was porous and couldn't save their Lives!

Shame!

only God knows what would have happened if we played a 4-3-3 with Onazi as the main dmf. I won't watch that match

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
Kog45:
Yea u are right,I wish Omeruo started today but after re watch Nigeria vs South Africa match in uyo were we are held to two two draw,i just changed my mind coz Omeruo was awful but one thing still baffling me why Awaziem a porto team B player in d d heart of Nigeria defence,honestly Rohr should stop all this rookies fast integration into national team.

If we have true quality in the younger set, then integrating them earlier is the best solution. For instance, Ndidi is miles ahead Onazi when it comes to reading the game. Awaziem is superb on the ball. He is also defensively sound if you look at his performance in the first half before we lost shape.

Leave all the experience criticism. If Awaziem had that show Omeruo had against SA, the wolves would have been screaming lack of experience.

Rohr needs to sort out his best players. Get it right. If it means Onazi losing his place, so be it. Look at Bozcs of Ajax. He got that team to that stage by being ruthless.

The faster the team blends, the more deadly we become.

With Iheanacho, Kayode and Osimhen, time we revert to a direct 4-4-2 system. Get the best in and grow from there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 8:35pm On Jun 10, 2017
This Is The Most Disapointing Super Chickens Match Af Ever Watched
South Africa Thought Them Football
Cameroonians Laughing Their Brains Out At The Moment

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:35pm On Jun 10, 2017
forgiveness:

Hahahahahah! Seriously! I don't know how dem dey watch their ball. Iheanacho brings nothing to the no 9 position. If you see as people dey vex for am for where I saw the match when he was substituted, you go know say it's only here on this thread they think he is the best thing since guguru and epa to play as a striker. grin

I dey hear 'common getaway you... Tah... Let him return to the midfield... He is not a striker.

We saw how close we almost scored when Kayode was brought in but somebody on this thread asked where is Kayode? grin

The truth is people attach to much sentiment when dey analyse players and matches.

If Rohr sticks to this same selection, him supporters eyes go clear wella. grin

grin

Kayode surname is not Chigozie. Until we start being honest with ourselves this Nation won't move Forward!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
The NFF really needs to get their priorities right. Camping in France was a bad idea in the first place.. Some people may disagree with me,but come one,how can we prepare for a game in a country with different weather and environment from the one the real game will take place?
Also an alternative venue should be found for the eagles game. I love the Uyo stadium its beautiful and the fans are amazing but Nigeria just don't seem to win games convincingly there. Maybe its time to return to Abuja
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
Chrismario:

Still,,, Iheanacho was below average
So stop saying he did lot brilliant runs cos those runs re just imaginary.

They are not imaginary. They were very clear to see. Some even were over hit to the goal keeper. This is so basic and should not be a debate. Onazi over hit a lot of good opportunities. We should have had an early lead and the attacker should not get blame for that..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:37pm On Jun 10, 2017
Mickael2:

only God knows what would have happened if we played a 4-3-3 with Onazi as the main dmf. I won't watch that match

grin

Are you satisfied with his Pair Mate? Did he offer anything better Onazi? What about Etebo, did he play your your Satisfaction as a No. 10?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oh, I got what you're trying to say now. You mean other receivers besides dstv. Yeah, that's possible. I only know that it isn't on dstv.

O pari

EmmGee:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
Oasis007:

grin

Oga don't think..... that's the Reality! Musa would have been called all Names. Imagine them defending Awaziem, Iheanacho, Ndidi and Co, but quick to blame Shehu and Simon.

Sentiments! They love some players and dislike some others.

If Omeruo was in that defense he would have taken all the ballets for the two goals.

Even Shehu that had a very good game dem say otherwise.

Simon was terrible today. I had never seen him this
wasteful and unporposefull. Yet they will defend him bc they like him.

Ndidi IMO even share the blame more than the CB pairing. He was more focused on try to score than to perform his defense shielding. I know they will still hail him bc he is one of their favourites.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1103) (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) (1109) ... (16275) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Horllamideh(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.