Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,809 members, 7,862,676 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:56 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942072 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1121) (1122) (1123) (1124) (1125) (1126) (1127) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
When we win with this players nobody came here to critizised us here, now we lose every body is saying what he want continue
you will all put to shame again

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Certified. Do you know more than Patrick Vieira, Pellegrini, Guardiola, Rohr etc?

Do you know what a certified 9 mean?

Guardiola never used him as a certified 9! who is a 9? please describe a 9!

What is your definition of a 9?

Iheanacho's BEST POSITION remains playing behind [/b]a CERTIFIED 9 ([b]CENTER FORWARD)

Infact i give up. this argument is fruitless!
TheGoodJoe:

grin grin grin grin grin

Take it or leave it. Do not kill me with laugh.

I just give up.

Nigerians!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
somehow:

Do you know what a certified 9 mean?

Guardiola never used him as a certified 9! who is a 9? please describe a 9!

What is your definition of a 9?

Iheanacho's BEST POSITION remains playing behind [/b]a CERTIFIED 9 ([b]CENTER FORWARD)

Infact i give up. this argument is fruitless!

I just give up.

Nigerians!

Jesu. Guardiola never used Iheanacho as a nine. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Blood of Jackie Chan.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:54pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Jesu. Guardiola never used Iheanacho as a nine. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Blood of Jackie Chan.

Just as he used Fabrigas as a 9, i guess that makes Fabrigas a 9?

He even used Pedro as a 9, Pedro must be a 9 too

Or maybe Sanchez is a 9 too afterall he was used as one before by Arsene Wenger and also Pep.

Before club football and senior national team games, what was his position and what position made him so popular and allowed him score and have ALOT of ASSIST?

please think wide my brother. shallow box thinking isn't healthy.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
maidaboi:
When we win with this players nobody came here to critizised us here, now we lose every body is saying what he want continue

bros ah Taya oooo

somebody even say make we recall IKEME &AINA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
Loogan:
Peeps here running their mouth anyhow forming analyst...for people saying iheanacho is not a striker or top 9, I don't understand you people, this guy came out of one of the best academies in the world a certified 9 and people here be forming as if they know more the the trained personnel whom watched his progress and trained him...or the SE team a hould now be structured to fit iheanacho because he is better as a SS? Even at man city under pep guadiola he has played as a striker so what's the fuss, he dosent get enough delivery against South Africa and people start calling for his head saying he should never be used as a striker this boy is our highest goal scorer since roah reign predominantly used as a striker fear God....Football of this age a foward player (striker) is required to be able to play multiple positions upfront, Griezmman is a SS but he plays as a top striker for atletico to excellence effect so what is the noise...what does a striker do that iheanacho can't?....thegoodjoe is trying to explain that iheanacho wasn't giving good delivery and made very good runs but wasn't feed enough and people be slating him that he's biased, don't know how some of you watch a match.
god bless you, when its comes to drill talk I'll never agree with Goodjoe bt as regard Saturday match the guy is spot on. Some people keep making ridiculous comment like nacho having bad first touch to nacho being caught offside on several occasion just to paint a picture of how poor he was and am like which Match?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2017
No doubts Rohr and his assistant made some technical errors in the game against South Africa.
We can still qualify for the Afcon because we have what it takes to be there.
I am not by any chance perturbed with the result .I am optimistic that we will qualify.

Here is my unbaised analysis of how our players fared.

1.Daniel Akpeyi-he exudes zero confidence, he cannot command and shout at his defenders to fall in place to mark their men.He was guilty of ball watching before Rantie headed home.He should have fouled the South African for that second goal.G.k all over the world take such risk for the team.We even saw how Saurez handled the ball against Ghana in 2010.A G.K is the last man of the defense so he is in a better position to organized his defenders. I repeat Akpeyi should have no business in the Super Eagles. It's high time we recall Enyeama to the team ,cux we never can tell what will happen to Carl Ikeme.

2.Awaziem-Rohr gambled by starting a rookie in a high profile match like this .He underwent lots of drills before this game but it couldn't salvage anything. He lost his man for the first goal.He was guilty of ball watching so many times.He is decent and quality. He can improve with friendlies.

3.Williams troost Ekong - He is at best average. Without Balogun,he is at par with Egwueke. He did his best.

4.Onazi-He was just average in the game. He should have been substituted .He exposed the back four again and again.He runs aimlessly, passes were poor.

5.Echiejele and Shehu-Both had a quiet gamebut elderson was guilty of out of positioning.he kept exposing Awaziem.both didnt join the attack.

6.Iheanancho-I repeat, in the SE ,Iheanancho should not be our top 9.Better as SS.We need someone who can hold the ball to draw out the opponent and involve his team mate.Ideye and Ighalo would have fared better. He made some runs like knive through butter but passes were mostly overhit.He was starved from the midfield.

Midfield combo-Wrong to field 3 midfielders with almost same quality without their role properly defined. I am pissed off with Onazi with all his so called experience he keeps doing the same thing over and over.

7.Iwobi- brought nothing to the party.He should be on the bench.

8.Simon Moses- My man of the match,he took the game to the south africans but final decision was alway poor.

9.Kayode- He brought urgency to the game but time was his undoing.He is better as a supporting striker too.

10.Etebo- Just average.Wasteful.At best just a decent midfielder. Will do well as a winger because of his direct play.

11.Ndidi- didn't live up to his hype,was a little selfish .just decent nothing spectacular. He would have fared better as a CB or DMF.

12.Osimhen- Top quality ,looked dangerous when he was with ball.Did you noticed how he put his body in the line to get the ball?.With time,he will lead our attack.He has a rival in Tammy Abrahamm

13.Ahmed Musa-Brought pace and power into the game.

I can't fathom why Ogu was left out of the party.

We hope to see Carl,Mikel,Moses ,Balogun ,Ideye ,Ighalo against the Indomitable Lion of Cameroun in August. My prayers is that they remain fit.

Rohr was totally outclassed by baxter.

Abi Rohr no no wetin be SWOT analysis..

I just hope Seychelles don't withdraw from the qualifiers or else we will be walking on a tighter rope.
Rohr should know what he wants and stop the gambling.

I strongly opine that we invited Sone Aluko,Ajagun and Onuacho.

The Super Eagles will sour..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
Mickael2:

Onazi/Etebo IMHO worked because of Mikel's presence, without Mikel, Onazi/Etebo would be worse than what we saw on saturday. I may be tempted to agree that Ndidi could have been used as a CB(although I don't see why Omeruo shouldn't be there) but in that case Agu or Ogu or some other person plus Etebo would work.

Then we have the secondary problem of figuring out what formation we are actually playing. Icon4s thinks we are playing a 4-3-3, the coach thinks we are playing a 4-2-3-1(4-5-1) and some of the players are understandably lost. For example when you are playing a 4-3-3, Iwobi needs to stay very close to the opponents box as a forward not close to the center circle as a midfielder and at times you could notice that Iwobi was lost, Simon on his own part did not know if he was playing as a WF or a naturally wide midfielder, I think the coach needs to address this issue. If we want to play a 4-3-3 then let it be a 4-3-3 and in that case Iwobi is NOT A WING FORWARD by any stretch of the imagination and should not be there. If we want to play a 4-5-1 then Moses Simon is NOT A WIDE MIDFIELDER by any stretch of the imagination and should not be there

I wouldn't pin it down to Mikel's presence alone because Mikel even when Mikel was subbed off early in the second half, they still were on top of the Algerians. I believe their partnership was just a perfect fit that didn't need to be tinkered with.

In the issue about the wings. It is my opinion, we failed to make inroads down the wings because the we played with full backs not wing backs.

Shehu and Elderson played inside their half. I don't know if it was the manager's decision but their reluctance to join the attack stiffled our wing play. Moses Simon tried his best but he needed support from Shehu,which wasn't forthcoming.
Same thing with Iwobi. He's not the kind of player to beat 2 people at once. He loves playing 1-2s, at Arsenal when stationed on the wings, Monreal bombs forward as often as possible to support him,when this happens,they play 1-2 to get behind the defence line. Most times, he comes inside the the midfield to play off Ozil while in transition. Against SA, he was just stationed out wide without movements around him by Kelechi and Elderson.
I think this stationary role greatly affected his game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 4:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
I Hope our last game in the group is not against SA.....pls anybody with the match fixtures here??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:24pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Before a player drops deep, it means the team is having trouble building up. The forward passes gets cut off because of the compact/organized set up. In this case, the passes were coming. Regularly for that matter. How do you expect the striker to get away from the passes coming to drop deep. Are you serious?

The solution was to get more accurate passes. Not Iheanacho dropping deep. Haba.
A striker dropping deep is simply a way to get off his markers. Not necessarily because the team is having problems with their build up play.

By the way, I have read you constantly yell that Kelechi should improve on his game by dropping deep and aid the build up play for Man city. You have always been of the opinion that he should improve on this.
A fee weeks down the line, you have somersaulted. You no longer see that Kelechi should improve that aspect of his game. The manner you swing up and down like a yoyo, distorting facts to suit your narrative is just out of this world.

Anyway,irrespective of whatever you think of Kelechi's game, Rohr who is the manager took a decision and subbed him off. For any coach who is a goal down in the second half, at home to remove his only striker should be a damming verdict that the said striker was having a stinker.

I hope Rohr actually gave people like Ideye, Adi and Nwakaeme opportunities to show what they can do. They could be his solution to the Lone striker role. If not, he should adopt a system that will suit Kelechi's skill set, failure to do this = dropped points against Cameroun. As simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:32pm On Jun 12, 2017
maidaboi:
Sorry to say this, but any Nigerian team who loose to South Africa at home deserve to be criticised.
What exactly have these players achieved that should make them above criticism? Because they won Zambia and Algeria?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:12pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Before a player drops deep, it means the team is having trouble building up. The forward passes gets cut off because of the compact/organized set up. In this case, the passes were coming. Regularly for that matter. How do you expect the striker to get away from the passes coming to drop deep. Are you serious?

The solution was to get more accurate passes. Not Iheanacho dropping deep. Haba.

Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr was bombarded with questions by local media after the Super Eagles' loss to South Africa on Saturday.
The Nigerian Federation spokesman, Ademola Olajire, came to the rescue of the German tactician when he was quizzed about some of his naive tactical decisions like starting Awaziem instead of the more experienced Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo and leaving an off-form Iheanacho on the pitch for that long.
''Nobody is happy with the manner of the defeat because it could have been avoided, we wanted to know why he made some of those decisions, '' a top source at the post match press conference told
allnigeriasoccer.com .
''Rohr was asked why he started Awaziem ahead of Omeruo and why he didn't substitute Iheanacho earlier when he noticed he was ineffective but the Nigerian Federation's Olajire kept shutting me down, he told Rohr not to respond.''
After match day one in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualification, Nigeria are only third in Group E because Seychelles suffered a heavy 5-1 loss away to Libya on Friday.

cc:allnigeriansoccer.com

You can keep burying your head in sand when almost everyone who watched the game attest Kelechi had a stinker.
Funny enough, some journalists were of the opinion he was left too long on the pitch.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho has sent his apologies to the coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr for his poor conduct after he was substituted in Nigeria’s 0-2 loss to South Africa.
Iheanacho was yanked off for Olarewaju Kayode as Nigeria chased an equaliser. The forward strolled off the pitch slowly despite the Eagles trailing, he even had to be hurried off the pitch by a South African player.
He grudgingly shook the hand of Rohr before heading to the bench, where he angrily kicked at a water bottle while ranting. 20 year old Iheanacho says he regrets his actions and linked it to the frustration of playing poorly.
“I wish to apologise too for the way I reacted when I was substituted. I did it for myself because as a striker I should have at least got at least shot on target.
“Unfortunately, I couldn’t do that.
That’s why I was angry with myself. I wish to apologise to the manager, the coach and the Nigeria Football Federation for my action. That’s not me.
“For our next game, I believe we will come back stronger and better against Cameroon. I will improve my performance.”

cc:owngoalnigeria

The young man even acknowledged that he had a stinker. Yet you're making excuses for him. If you can do away with sentiments and emotions,you will be a better analyst.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:18pm On Jun 12, 2017
Joebie:
You use the word premature in your argument. Are you Klopp? Let's wait to see the role he will play in the EPL. Isn't your talk also premature?

Not exactly because I spend quite a bit of time with numerous coaches in EPL teams across the North West including Liverpool and I go to quite a lot of training sessions and matches.

I will not say anymore but time will tell what I already know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2017
June 12 – A busy weekend of international football saw African Cup of Nations qualification under way in earnest, with all 48 teams in contention having now completed their first game in the Group stage, whilst European qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup have passed the halfway stage.
Its early days yet, but Africa’s most populous country finds itself in third place in Group E after suffering a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of South Africa, leading to Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung to schedule an emergency meeting with the Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
Dalung issued a statement saying: “This is a temporary setback which is surmountable. We need to sit with the technical Committee and crew to find out the immediate and remote causes of this setback.”

“We have very young talented players in the Super Eagles and we trust that with more hard work and determination, this result can be reversed when we go to South Africa.”
In an example of wishful thinking the minister added: “The Super Eagles will definitely be in Cameroun because we can’t afford to be absent at the Africa Cup of Nations for a third consecutive time.”
Meanwhile, the NFF administration faced further embarrassment as it emerged that the match balls provided by the Confederation of African Football for the game in Uyo had somehow gone missing, with officials having to borrow balls for the game from the visiting South Africans.
Whilst maladministration within the NFF is hardly anything new, the lack of finishing ability of the young Nigerian team will be the cause of major concern, with South Africa’s manager Stuart Baxter offering some constructive criticism following the game to the effect that: “I will still say kudos to the Nigerians because they stretched us and made some dangerous movements. But if I may sound very respectful and modest, their attack was not the very best they could have presented.”

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/06/12/nigeria-no-balls-no-goals-emergency-summons-sports-minister/

Funny enough, it took this loss for the Nff to summon the technical committee. When Garba Lawal told the press that the technical committee have not met since September last year, alot of people ignorantly shut him down.
When I tried to bring to fore the importance of the technical committee of any FA, some thought u was being an alarmist. Una don see am?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2017
Napoleon55:
sorry,this is meant for forgiveness not u, mr forgiveness,have u at any point in time ever suggested some of these your players u've been clamouring for to the right people that actually matters,not just on Nairaland threads? What if the the coaches are not aware of their capabilitie?

Napoleon I have witnessed scouting drives by the NFF and it becomes rife with arrangements, nepotism and inducement.

If course they know but they also know none of these English but Nigerian boys understand settlement, appreciation and loyalty payments.

Do you know that the NFF pays players in cash thier match bonus why I pray it has changed now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2017
goldfish80:

Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho has sent his apologies to the coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr for his poor conduct after he was substituted in Nigeria’s 0-2 loss to South Africa.
Iheanacho was yanked off for Olarewaju Kayode as Nigeria chased an equaliser. The forward strolled off the pitch slowly despite the Eagles trailing, he even had to be hurried off the pitch by a South African player.
He grudgingly shook the hand of Rohr before heading to the bench, where he angrily kicked at a water bottle while ranting. 20 year old Iheanacho says he regrets his actions and linked it to the frustration of playing poorly.
“I wish to apologise too for the way I reacted when I was substituted. I did it for myself because as a striker I should have at least got at least shot on target.
That’s why I was angry with myself. I wish to apologise to the manager, the coach and the Nigeria Football Federation for my action. That’s not me.
“For our next game, I believe we will come back stronger and better against Cameroon. I will improve my performance.”

The young man even acknowledged that he had a stinker. Yet you're making excuses for him. If you can do away with sentiments and emotions,you will be a better analyst.
Goodjoe will still tell you that it wasn't kelechi that said that, he will convince you that the speech was given to him by pep or rohr. he may even attribute the words to his agent so that it may facilitate his proposed switch to West Ham and that he's been professional
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2017
goldfish80:

what do you expect him to say, blame his fellow players for their inability to play a simple pass just like Onazi did? Or. Iheanacho should have shoot at goal instead of passing to Etebo. Every good striker will be angry if his team is losing and he feel they can do better. Iheanacho is a winner and hates to lose.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2017
Joebie:
Does Nigeria interest you this much? I don't even know if a Ghanaian forum exist because i've never cared to google it.

Are you thinking am a Ghanaian??
Seriously, somebody can't make reference to another country without being tagged a citizen of that country grin cheesy.
Am a full blooded Nigerian sir,am just saying we lack a proper striker,and Ghana got a reliable one. Rohr should utilize Iheanacho were he is more useful
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:45pm On Jun 12, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

If u say Dominic Solanke is better than Iheanacho then u must be smoking crack. Iheanacho has more talent in his left toe for crying out loud.

Being objective I can not say KC is completely better than Solanke I will concede he is currently ahead of him. But they both have different attributes Solanke being the more true No.9 and KC a more SS but with very good and better finishing for now.

KC will have his true test when the proposed move to West ham goes through. When he starts to play regular week in week out football as a striker. The same goes for Solanke at Liverpool.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
so? does that give you an edge over someone who cover the games on TV? I'm sure even Rohr seldom monitor our players in Europe in person.
That information is irrelevant in this discussion.

komekn:

Not exactly because I spend quite a bit of time with numerous coaches in EPL teams across the North West including Liverpool and I go to quite a lot of training sessions and matches.

I will not say anymore but time will tell what I already know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2017
Read your post again. You wrote, "our own Asamoah Gyan", which is why I assumed you were Ghanaian.
Danielnino00:

Are you thinking am a Ghanaian??
Seriously, somebody can't make reference to another country without being tagged a citizen of that country grin cheesy.
Am a full blooded Nigerian sir,am just saying we lack a proper striker,and Ghana got a reliable one. Rohr should utilize Iheanacho were he is more useful
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2017
His asslicking is outta this world!

can defend iheanacho that he never said all these self.

to even say iheanacho is a certified 9 killed the whole seriousness i had discussing with him.
goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
forgiveness:

He was trying to be clever by half but I catch am. As you can see he has admitted he was wrong. grin

To be honest, I knew his intentions after carefully reading his comment. No blame me. I sabi am wella.

can somebody not make mistakes in peace again??

Probably it was a misplace of name initially on his part and you had to claim he's clever by half
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
Loyal fans remember the good times. Iheanacho remains our leading goalscorer under Rohr. Let's cut him a slack. But I maintain that game was lost in the midfield. Akpeyi probably should have stopped the first goal with better reflexes. Let's throw our weight behind the team. One thing I've learned in life is to assume responsibility even when I am not wrong. It is professional for Iheanacho to blame himself. It's also professional for Mikel to say the team can do well with or without him. That's a sign of maturity and humility.

somehow:
His asslicking is outta this world!

can defend iheanacho that he never said all these self.

to even say iheanacho is a certified 9 killed the whole seriousness i had discussing with him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by achimotan(m): 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2017
Joebie:
Read your post again. You wrote, "our own Asamoah Gyan", which is why I assumed you were Ghanaian.

You are not being fair to him. Take your time and read what he wrote again

Asamoah Gyan scored his 50th goal for Ghana yesterday. Meanwhile, our own top scorer of all time who is late(RIP) had only 37 goals..
Seriously after Yekini,Yakubu was the best striker the super eagles ever had.. He could have broken Yekini record if only Nigerians had forgiven him after that miss at South Africa 2010. Even Kanu himself with all the hype and glory(no disrespect) only managed 13 goals in 86 appearances for the eagles.Ahmed Musa self has 13 goals in over 60 appearance. That's pitiful.
maybe Iheanacho can br our own Asamoah Gyan, but he won't do it while playing as a lone striker!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
Okay I get it. My mistake. i'm sorry

achimotan:

You are not being fair to him. Take your time and read what he wrote again

Asamoah Gyan scored his 50th goal for Ghana yesterday. Meanwhile, our own top scorer of all time who is late(RIP) had only 37 goals..
Seriously after Yekini,Yakubu was the best striker the super eagles ever had.. He could have broken Yekini record if only Nigerians had forgiven him after that miss at South Africa 2010. Even Kanu himself with all the hype and glory(no disrespect) only managed 13 goals in 86 appearances for the eagles.Ahmed Musa self has 13 goals in over 60 appearance. That's pitiful.
maybe Iheanacho can br our own Asamoah Gyan, but he won't do it while playing as a lone striker!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2017
Meanwhile, the NFF administration faced further embarrassment as it emerged that thematch balls provided by the Confederation ofAfrican Football for the game in Uyo had somehow gone missing, with officials having to borrow balls for the game from the visiting South Africans.

And during the match this was crossing my mind to ask why was the ball we were using having RSA written boldly on it

Now the true position is out.. The original ball provided by CAF was stolen and we had to collect balls from visiting South Africa team

Oh what a shame
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2017
Joebie:
so? does that give you an edge over someone who cover the games on TV? I'm sure even Rohr seldom monitor our players in Europe in person.
That information is irrelevant in this discussion.

Explain to me why that information is irrelevant according to you.

For instance the coaches in Everton and Liverpool have different emphasis and football strategy including structure. This is quite obvious when you watch them in training add to that when you ask the coaches what they are trying to achieve.

If I take player to a club without telling him what the philosophy, emphasis and strategy is, I would not be helping at all.

It's from that perspective of let's say price somewhat insider knowledge. It's in this regard I would have a better insight than someone who just watched the game on TV.

I await your answer without prejudice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I hope you are kidding. No striker in the world can do better with zero good chances created from the midfield. Watch the game again, Nacho's runs were perfect and the final balls to him were atrocious. Even CR7 and Messi can not do much in such scenario.

Because KC is not a true No.9 I would suggest he is useless in the air. This meant that the crosses that Moses Simon put in became wayward. They weren't great crosses but crosses a Benteke would thrive on. Unfortunately he is not Nigerian.

Some of the balls forward were reflection of players use to playing with a true No.9 who can hold up play and bring in either attacking midfield players or supporting forward players.

Furthermore it meant that the SA center backs didnt feel pressure to drop back.

I think we need a Drogba, Lukaku, Anichebe type player so when the going gets tough that option us created. An option we may desperately need when we face Cameroon. At least on the bench to change things if the need arises to change the structure and adapt play to circumstances.

We also had players who lacked versatility and or where of form. We definitely could do with Sone Aluko.

We need to really look at our options in defence. I remember Danny Shittu how he came in and brought real calmness to our defence years ago.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
goldfish80:

Sorry to say this, but any Nigerian team who loose to South Africa at home deserve to be criticised.
What exactly have these players achieved that should make them above criticism? Because they won Zambia and Algeria?

I would like to add to that we got off lightly it was no fluke in reality we should have 5 goals against us.

This was a comprehensive defeat.

It's a blessing in disguise stop the unnecessary pride and politics we absolutely need Enyeama.

I will ask this question is any of our current CB's better than Nedum and Dominic Iorfa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2017
bossto:
I Hope our last game in the group is not against SA.....pls anybody with the match fixtures here??
Nigeria v SA
Seychelles v Nigeria
Libya v Nigeria (Double header)
SA v Nigeria
Nigeria v Seychelles

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1121) (1122) (1123) (1124) (1125) (1126) (1127) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gamaliel9 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.