Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,273 members, 7,867,717 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:21 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11969323 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1123) (1124) (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) ... (16380) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:32am On Jun 13, 2017
After watching this match for the 3rd time just now there are a few things I noticed.

1) Whoever says that Ekong was average in this game needs to tell me the match he watched. None of the chances created came through his side of the defence, he literally shut down that side of the defence, nothing and nobody moved there, in fact he was awesome. When you watch that game again without tension or anger you will understand. Awaziem however needs to go back to training school, his clearances from the very first whistle were funny, he was swiping at the ball wildly, and he is no ball-playing CB. He was always afraid to carry the ball more than 20m beyond our box which shows lack of confidence and ball playing abilities.

2) watching Onazi was like a comic release. He was literally everywhere except where he should be. Most times it was as if he was playing as the LB, not that Echejile was out of position, I don't know if I should say that he just wants the glory or he has too much energy to burn. And then when Echejile will go forward thinking that Onazi has him covered, Onazi too will go forward thinking that a supernatural being has him covered as well.

3) Our fullbacks were poor. Where was that Echejile that scored a goal at the 2013 Afcon? The poor showing was exemplified by a particular passage of play in the first half, Iwobi had the ball on the edge of the box with only one defender ahead of him, he held the ball for 5 seconds thinking that Echejile was bombing forward to support him(like any good LB would) and by the time he realized that we had an imposter on the left side another SA player had already returned and a potentially dangerous situation was laid to waste. Shehu I cannot complain about, his side was balanced together with Ekong, brilliant player that boy but he needs to brushen up his ball playing abilities, needs to learn how to take on his man.

4) Simon is just what he is. He skinned both the LB and RB repeatedly and only if he could cross to save his life we would have scored a lot of goals. He was switching wings to devastating effects but the final ball was lacking. And the final ball has always been lacking in his game, he was our best forward/midfield player on the day. Iwobi however was literally kneeling down and begging for a passing partner with Echejile being totally non-existent. Iwobi wasn't poor, the system was poor, with a good LB Iwobi would perform well which is why I don't understand why someone would say that he isn't a wide midfielder, truth is if we are playing a 4-5-1 then nobody suits that position more than Iwobi, except we want to change to a 4-3-3.

5) Etebo needs to be dragged backwards. Killer passes just isn't his game, he should stamp down on that CMF position where all he needs to do is spray short passes and burst forward every once in a while, his decision making needs some work as well. Ndidi wasn't briliant and his strikes lacked their usual accuracy.

6) Who said Iheanacho was making runs? Iheanacho was standing in the exact same spot all match long. He was standing beside the LCB all match long, he didn't take up any other position and even when he dropped deep a couple of times to touch the ball, he lost it in both instances and even when Simon produced a nice cross to the back post that was begging to be nodded in, Iheanacho was not well positioned, that ball is what all strikers thrive on, that doesn't mean he isn't a good striker though just poor poor display from him, and that show of petulence should not go unpunished. Then watch what happened when Kayode came in, he actually took up two great goalscoring oppurtunities, one Etebo failed to pass but decided to shoot when Kayode was open, the next one he did receive the pass although he didn't hit the target but he gave the midfielders a passing option and they actually found him which shows that the midfielders actually know how to pass just that the striker wasn't giving them that opening. Promising display from him, if he had started that match he would have gassed out the two cbs and Iheanacho could pick the pieces but that's gone.

7) Let us now be plainly honest. Rohr is NOT A BRILLIANT COACH, he is a great man manager but far from a brilliant coach, no plan B nothing. I mean your plan B is a 3-4-3 formation but somehow the main player in your 3-4-3, you decide to leave out of the match day squad, makes no sense. No tactical tweaks during the game. IMHO, no team can outplay Sia1's team like that. I know he may invite his boys but they always deliver. If not for Moses we would have defeated Egypt, if not for Sadiq Umar we would have defeated Germany etc. The guy is a good coach but somehow we managed to tie down Rohr, but not that Rohr is bad but if we can get Sia1 as his assistant(not this Salisu guy), the combination would be perfect.

Oh and please BringBackOurEnyeama. Is Akpeyi a pro player?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:48am On Jun 13, 2017
This is definitely the BEST analysis I have read on the game. You really hit the nails squarely on the heads. I agree with practically everything you've written below.

I even agreed with your assessment of Siasia. As a matter of fact, I have always advocated giving the Super Eagles to Siasia along with Simeon Kalika. The two of them together would always deliver. Personally, I don't believe that Siasia can handle the Super Eagles by himself but give him Kalika to work with and he's top notch.

Kudos again on a very insightful analysis!

O pari

Mickael2:
After watching this match for the 3rd time just now there are a few things I noticed.

1) Whoever says that Ekong was average in this game needs to tell me the match he watched. None of the chances created came through his side of the defence, he literally shut down that side of the defence, nothing and nobody moved there, in fact he was awesome. When you watch that game again without tension or anger you will understand. Awaziem however needs to go back to training school, his clearances from the very first whistle were funny, he was swiping at the ball wildly, and he is no ball-playing CB. He was always afraid to carry the ball more than 20m beyond our box which shows lack of confidence and ball playing abilities.

2) watching Onazi was like a comic release. He was literally everywhere except where he should be. Most times it was as if he was playing as the LB, not that Echejile was out of position, I don't know if I should say that he just wants the glory or he has too much energy to burn. And then when Echejile will go forward thinking that Onazi has him covered, Onazi too will go forward thinking that a supernatural being has him covered as well.

3) Our fullbacks were poor. Where was that Echejile that scored a goal at the 2013 Afcon? The poor showing was exemplified by a particular passage of play in the first half, Iwobi had the ball on the edge of the box with only one defender ahead of him, he held the ball for 5 seconds thinking that Echejile was bombing forward to support him(like any good LB would) and by the time he realized that we had an imposter on the left side another SA player had already returned and a potentially dangerous situation was laid to waste. Shehu I cannot complain about, his side was balanced together with Ekong, brilliant player that boy but he needs to brushen up his ball playing abilities, needs to learn how to take on his man.

4) Simon is just what he is. He skinned both the LB and RB repeatedly and only if he could cross to save his life we would have scored a lot of goals. He was switching wings to devastating effects but the final ball was lacking. And the final ball has always been lacking in his game, he was our best forward/midfield player on the day. Iwobi however was literally kneeling down and begging for a passing partner with Echejile being totally non-existent. Iwobi wasn't poor, the system was poor, with a good LB Iwobi would perform well which is why I don't understand why someone would say that he isn't a wide midfielder, truth is if we are playing a 4-5-1 then nobody suits that position more than Iwobi, except we want to change to a 4-3-3.

5) Etebo needs to be dragged backwards. Killer passes just isn't his game, he should stamp down on that CMF position where all he needs to do is spray short passes and burst forward every once in a while, his decision making needs some work as well. Ndidi wasn't briliant and his strikes lacked their usual accuracy.

6) Who said Iheanacho was making runs? Iheanacho was standing in the exact same spot all match long. He was standing beside the LCB all match long, he didn't take up any other position and even when he dropped deep a couple of times to touch the ball, he lost it in both instances and even when Simon produced a nice cross to the back post that was begging to be nodded in, Iheanacho was not well positioned, that ball is what all strikers thrive on, that doesn't mean he isn't a good striker though just poor poor display from him, and that show of petulence should not go unpunished. Then watch what happened when Kayode came in, he actually took up two great goalscoring oppurtunities, one Etebo failed to pass but decided to shoot when Kayode was open, the next one he did receive the pass although he didn't hit the target but he gave the midfielders a passing option and they actually found him which shows that the midfielders actually know how to pass just that the striker wasn't giving them that opening. Promising display from him, if he had started that match he would have gassed out the two cbs and Iheanacho could pick the pieces but that's gone.

7) Let us now be plainly honest. Rohr is NOT A BRILLIANT COACH, he is a great man manager but far from a brilliant coach, no plan B nothing. I mean your plan B is a 3-4-3 formation but somehow the main player in your 3-4-3, you decide to leave out of the match day squad, makes no sense. No tactical tweaks during the game. IMHO, no team can outplay Sia1's team like that. I know he may invite his boys but they always deliver. If not for Moses we would have defeated Egypt, if not for Sadiq Umar we would have defeated Germany etc. The guy is a good coach but somehow we managed to tie down Rohr, but not that Rohr is bad but if we can get Sia1 as his assistant(not this Salisu guy), the combination would be perfect.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:30am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

6) Who said Iheanacho was making runs? Iheanacho was standing in the exact same spot all match long. He was standing beside the LCB all match long, he didn't take up any other position and even when he dropped deep a couple of times to touch the ball, he lost it in both instances and even when Simon produced a nice cross to the back post that was begging to be nodded in, Iheanacho was not well positioned, that ball is what all strikers thrive on, that doesn't mean he isn't a good striker though just poor poor display from him, and that show of petulence should not go unpunished.

Then watch what happened when Kayode came in, he actually took up two great goalscoring oppurtunities, one Etebo failed to pass but decided to shoot when Kayode was open, the next one he did receive the pass although he didn't hit the target but he gave the midfielders a passing option and they actually found him which shows that the midfielders actually know how to pass just that the striker wasn't giving them that opening. Promising display from him, if he had started that match he would have gassed out the two cbs and Iheanacho could pick the pieces but that's gone.

At least you are getting to see my Point but missed to highlight where the problem came. Let us start with what you said about Kayode being in good position but not getting a good pass. That was what I said immediately Rohr did the changes.

The problem was not in the striker. You admit this after a third time watch. That is why I kept saying watch the game again because most missed the problem.

Now to Iheanacho. You say he was standing in the exact spot. I have said that repeatedly. Watch when the ball is hit. He was not offside, moved for the ball but the ball was over hit. It was there for the taking. He was shoulder to shoulder with the defenders. Every time the ball was over hit barring the later one where he moved early to try to meet the over hit ball. The young man knew at that point he was not going to get a good pass with the midfield. Notice in that offside run, Iheanacho got the ball. With better timed passes, he would have gotten repeated clean chances to tear the South Africans apart.

Next time watch the failed final balls. That is the key. In those balls, with the runs Iheanacho made. You will see clearly the chances we had to wrap that game up in the first half and why the young man got frustrated.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:50am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Thanks for this. At least you have a clearer picture.

The reason Ekong looked comfortable and not commanding despite the gaps created by Onazi was because Shehu Abdullahi stayed in position (not always but far better than Echiejile) it was easy for the young man to stay in position.

When we come to Awaziem your point of Onazi tracking back towards the left was because Baxter saw the gaps created by the wide gaps left by Echiejile. It was there for the taking. Awaziem in some occassions was at the left intercepting and winning balls.

So the simple fact was that the left side central defender got exposed due to gaps created by Echiejile and Onazi. Onazi will not get chances to go to the left side if Echiejile was in position. Which left the Awaziem stranded to do a tumultuous task of covering a wide space.

When the South Africans had few chances against Ekong, they scaled through.

As for the swiping and not moving the ball out, it has to do with a coordinating ball playing defensive midfielder. That is why I feel we missed Agu and why the Ekong - Awaziem central partnership flourished earlier. With Onazi wide, the only solution is to hit the ball long. If he makes crazy runs with the ball and loses it or a midfield player loses it, we have an even bigger gap to deal with.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:00am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Another nice info that needs an excerpt. With Onazi and Etebo making terrible final balls, how can journalists ask about Iheanacho having a poor game. Beats my imagination. The final balls were awful. Terrible. With Onazi not keeping position in his deep role, he kept Ndidi confused. All Onazi had to do is recycle possession. Help the team win balls with the defence, receive passes from his ball playing defenders and vomit the ball to Ndidi and Etebo.

The final buck of the final passes falls on Ndidi and Onazi. We could not see what Ndidi could offer because of Onazi trying to do everything.

A creative spark in the midfield would have done a lot and probably taking off Onazi to balance the play. With Etebo dropping to work with Ndidi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:18am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Another nice info that has bothered me since the appointment of Coach Rohr. His back room staffs from Nigeria. Most especially Alloy Agu and Salisu Yusuf. Rohr needs a tactician to work with him. Mourinho had Villas-Boas, Benitez had Pako Ayesteran, Rijkaard had Henk Ten Cate, Ancelotti had Paul Clemens etc.

My pick is Emmanuel Amunike because of his modern methods fits the pattern I feel Rohr intends for the team. With ball playing/passing defensive set up (including the defensive midfielder). Amunike actually played under such system and always coaches his team to play that way.

Although Siasia plays a similar brand of football, I am more comfortable with Amunike.

Rohr needed a simple advice. Iheanacho is making the runs when the pass is hit and always ahead of the defenders. We need someone in the hole to give him more accurate passes and we will tear the South Africans apart.

If we are maintaining the same formation, either Etebo or Onazi leaves (preferably Onazi),Etebo takes a deeper role and Iwobi takes the attack midfield position. Musa comes in for Onazi. We would have been stronger with the set up.

_________________Akpeyi
__________Ekong_________Awaziem
Shehu______________________________Echiejile
_______________Ndidi
_______________________Etebo
___________________Iwobi
Musa_____________________________Simon
_________________Iheanacho

This was the first preferred switch I expected.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:22am On Jun 13, 2017
_________________Akpeyi
_______________Ndidi
________________________Kayode

Later switch with Kayode, Iheanacho, Simon and Musa giving it a real shot. Iheanacho doing most of the stringing to connect the attack.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:29am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

I think we still had the right personnel to set up a 3-4-3 formation but the fear of Onazi and Echiejile shielding the left side would have led to another catastrophe. Maybe Onazi for Agu would have helped.

_________________Akpeyi
____Ekong_____Ndidi____Awaziem
____________Etebo___________Onazi
_
Simon_____________________________Iwobi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:54am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

At least you are getting to see my Point but missed to highlight where the problem came. Let us start with what you said about Kayode being in good position but not getting a good pass. That was what I said immediately Rohr did the changes.

The problem was not in the striker. You admit this after a third time watch. That is why I kept saying watch the game again because most missed the problem.

Now to Iheanacho. You say he was standing in the exact spot. I have said that repeatedly. Watch when the ball is hit. He was not offside, moved for the ball but the ball was over hit. It was there for the taking. He was shoulder to shoulder with the defenders. Every time the ball was over hit barring the later one where he moved early to try to meet the over hit ball. The young man knew at that point he was not going to get a good pass with the midfield. Notice in that offside run, Iheanacho got the ball. With better timed passes, he would have gotten repeated clean chances to tear the South Africans apart.

Next time watch the failed final balls. That is the key. In those balls, with the runs Iheanacho made. You will see clearly the chances we had to wrap that game up in the first half and why the young man got frustrated.

See the problem I had with him was that I didn't really see his pace in that game. I was watching the match with my junior bro and even he was like of course everyone knows Iheanacho isn't pacy which made it difficult to operate against a high backline. I do not need to be a soothsayer to know that what the match needed was someone like Kayode to push the CBs backwards so that Iheanacho can do his thing without worrying about going offside. Iheanacho is a 9 no doubt, but this game wasn't built for him to play as A LONE FORWARD, he would have had a lot more joy if he played off a striker who would push the defenders back. I till now can't understand why Rohr subbed him but the way he left the pitch should be looked into, that was a poor poor show of sportmanship
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:57am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I think we still had the right personnel to set up a 3-4-3 formation but the fear of Onazi and Echiejile shielding the left side would have led to another catastrophe. Maybe Onazi for Agu would have helped.

_________________Akpeyi
____Ekong_____Ndidi____Awaziem
____________Etebo___________Onazi
_
Simon_____________________________Iwobi

Echejile would have been another problem entirely. Saturday just wasn't his day and playing him there would have been something else. We badly needed Ogu so that someone like Etebo could go there and operate but there was no Ogu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:00am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Another nice info that has bothered me since the appointment of Coach Rohr. His back room staffs from Nigeria. Most especially Alloy Agu and Salisu Yusuf. Rohr needs a tactician to work with him. Mourinho had Villas-Boas, Benitez had Pako Ayesteran, Rijkaard had Henk Ten Cate, Ancelotti had Paul Clemens etc.

My pick is Emmanuel Amunike because of his modern methods fits the pattern I feel Rohr intends for the team. With ball playing/passing defensive set up (including the defensive midfielder). Amunike actually played under such system and always coaches his team to play that way.

Although Siasia plays a similar brand of football, I am more comfortable with Amunike.

Rohr needed a simple advice. Iheanacho is making the runs when the pass is hit and always ahead of the defenders. We need someone in the hole to give him more accurate passes and we will tear the South Africans apart.

If we are maintaining the same formation, either Etebo or Onazi leaves (preferably Onazi),Etebo takes a deeper role and Iwobi takes the attack midfield position. Musa comes in for Onazi. We would have been stronger with the set up.

_________________Akpeyi
_______________Ndidi
___________________Iwobi

I thought Amuneke has a club? It would be difficult to get him right now. Salisu Yusuf is just not it, all he does is parade himself as the assistant manager but he has done nothing positive there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 7:20am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

_________________Akpeyi
_______________Ndidi
___________________Iwobi

If I could remember, you once clamoured for Salisu Yusuf to be the coach of the Super eagles when he won a friendly against Mali and Luxembourg, Even after the appointment of Rohr, you still wished it was Salisu that was engaged to coach the eagles. I wonder what changed now by your above comment

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:27am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Because Iheanacho knew he was not going to get good pass from the midfield, he decided to stand like tree for one place, ba. Bhuuuhahaha! shocked sad angry

Your analyses is not doing the boy any good. You are just compounding the issue and making him look like an arrogant kid who thinks he has finally arrived. We saw his arrogant reactions when he was yanked out.

Oga, Iheanacho will not start the next match because he despised everybody including your humble self.

This is my line up for the next match

................................. Enyeama/Ikeme

...... Aina.......... Ekong....... Balogun........... Echiejile

......................... Agu/Onazi .................. Mikel ........

Victor Moses................Aluko/Iwobi ......... Simon/Etebor

..................................... Ideye

Modified
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 7:28am On Jun 13, 2017
Nice Epistle from Mikael2, seem Dudes are beginning to see the Light. When some Dudes so much believe in anything that comes from Rohr, I was like; is he a god?!

Thanks to Baxter and the Southies for exposing his tactical Prowess. I hope he sits up and re-strategize. He's good at discovering Players, but tactically he's not there yet.

As suggested by Mikael, Salisu has nothing to offer, get him Sia1 and hopefully we will start seeing the best of the Lads tactically and professionally on and off the Pitch.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:53am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

_________________Akpeyi
_______________Ndidi
___________________Iwobi

I know wan see Emmanuel Amuneke's leg for that team. Person wey no fit win for U20 na em go come dey coach for the National team? shocked angry

Siasia or John Obuh (my favorite).

Alloy Agu should be thrown out of the national team. He's not interested in the progress of the national team but his pocket else he would have gone for better keepers in the National League.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 7:58am On Jun 13, 2017
Haaaa!!!....iheanacho isn't a top 9,iheanacho is a top 9....I'm even confused.But if I'm not mistaken,he has played as a lone striker few times in his club,one of which he scored a hat-trick.

Can somebody remind me the position he played against Zambia??(if my memory serves me right, it's AM) in 4-5-1....right?
So I want him to continue playing there for now(especially against Cameroon) until he's perfect as a lone striker... though whenever a sticker isn't getting the goals,people will critise him whether he's good or not!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:01am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

I love the part...where you said...
saisia should have been drafted in assistant to rohr
to be honest....these salisu Yusuf guy is a waste...
I was so annoyed to know... that Yusuf have been around for a while even when RSA last drew SE in uyo and still the empty salisu Yusuf could not proffer any input to rohr regarding what went wrong the last time....
I think that guy's employment was a fiasco his lapses will be more open for all to see during Chan should the management of the team be left to him....
still on that awka united coach is one of the best indigenous coaches we have now....and not Yusuf who have never achieved anything tangible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:11am On Jun 13, 2017
forgiveness:

Because Iheanacho knew he was not going to get good pass from the midfield, he decided to stand like tree for one place, ba. Bhuuuhahaha! shocked sad angry

Your analyses is not doing the boy any good. You are just compounding the issue and making him look like an arrogant kid who thinks he has finally arrived. We saw his arrogant reactions when he was yanked out.

Oga, Iheanacho will not start the next match because he despised everybody including your humble self.

This is my line up for the next match

................................. Enyeama/Ikeme

...... Aina.......... Ekong....... Balogun........... Echiejile

......................... Agu/Onazi .................. Mikel ........

Victor Moses................Aluko/Iwobi ......... Simon/Etebor

..................................... Ideye

Modified

nacho and kayode is still better than that dude you places upfront.....to be honest

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 8:17am On Jun 13, 2017
Humility017:

nacho and kayode is still better than that dude you places upfront.....to be honest
not as if I'm in support of bringing Ideye back but i think he combines well with a support striker more

If you remember Iheanacho's goal against Zambia and our 2013 AFCON winning his perfect combo with Emineke went a long way to give us that trophy

Hence the reason for my clamor of a 2-striker system where the two understands each other and communicates perfectly well too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:21am On Jun 13, 2017
Humility017:

Na lie. We need this kind of player against Cameroon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:28am On Jun 13, 2017
komekn:

That's a nonsensical proposition that you relate to me.

For the avoidance of doubt I have not too date said Dominic over KC. What I said is for now KC is ahead.

However, they are different types of players KC being a SS with outstanding finishing on the other hand Solanke is a true no.9 but not proven to have the same level of finishing.

The final judgement will be when both of them play a full season in thier respective clubs.

Tell me bearing in mind what Isaac Success has done all season with his £12 million price tag at Watford. What accolade would you give him most promising forward player that is still promising succes. Or most valuable player. Bearing in mind his Manager, Walter said he is not fit and Isaac said he is fit and able to play 90 minutes.

So is he taking up space or is he contributing to his team positively commensurate with his huge price tag.

Isaac Success played in the EPL last season, where was Solanke? Premier League 2. Abeg what do u think Premier League 2 ranks in Europe? Then u have mind to come put Iheanacho in the same bracket, a £24 million rated player at that. Don't u think u are contradicting urself?
Isaac Success was player of the year at his club in Spain, if his manager doesn't like him what do u expect him to be able to do?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:29am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

That is why you need to learn how to read games before blabbing. The scenario on ground determines the action of the striker.

If a striker is closely marked and the midfield is having trouble getting the ball to the striker. Note, the midfield can deliver quality balls but the striker is shielded, the striker needs to drop deep or go wide when the wing back overlaps to be free to receive the ball to attack or build up play.

In this case, Iheanacho was not closely marked. He had room to receive the ball and cause damage. Repeatedly he made the right runs but the final ball to him was bad. With a quality midfielder supplying good balls, we would have been two or three goals up in the first half.

So dropping deep is not an option.

Sorry I had to do this. I couldn't help it. I didn't want you to get away with one.

What we're you thinking when you typed this? Just a few weeks ago you thought Kelechi should improve on his pressing game, mobility and help in build up play. You even acknowledged that this was the reason Aguero was ahead of him.
How come you're now changing the goal post? "dropping deep is not an option" you say?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:31am On Jun 13, 2017
goldfish80:

Sorry I had to do this. I couldn't help it. I didn't want you to get away with one.

What we're you thinking when you typed this? Just a few weeks ago you thought Kelechi should improve on his pressing game, mobility and help in build up play. You even acknowledged that this was the reason Aguero was ahead of him.
How come you're now changing the goal post? "dropping deep is not an option" you say?

Are you suprised?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:36am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

That is why you need to learn how to read games before blabbing. The scenario on ground determines the action of the striker.

If a striker is closely marked and the midfield is having trouble getting the ball to the striker. Note, the midfield can deliver quality balls but the striker is shielded, the striker needs to drop deep or go wide when the wing back overlaps to be free to receive the ball to attack or build up play.

In this case, Iheanacho was not closely marked. He had room to receive the ball and cause damage. Repeatedly he made the right runs but the final ball to him was bad. With a quality midfielder supplying good balls, we would have been two or three goals up in the first half.

On this one, you claimed Guardiola's drills will help him improve. Citing the way Sanchez drops deep, presses and helps in the teams build up play.
Which of these attributes did Kelechi bring to the table on Saturday?
Instead, the classic TheGoodJoe manufactures a defence for Kelechi. Claiming passes were not coming through for him. What happens to dropping deep and aiding the build up play? It doesn't apply to this situation?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:47am On Jun 13, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Isaac Success played in the EPL last season, where was Solanke? Premier League 2. Abeg what do u think Premier League 2 ranks in Europe? Then u have mind to come put Iheanacho in the same bracket, a £24 million rated player at that. Don't u think u are contradicting urself?
Isaac Success was player of the year at his club in Spain, if his manager doesn't like him what do u expect him to be able to do?

There is nothing wrong if Isaac Success manager doesn't like him but there is problem if Solanke's club doesn't like him for refusing to sign contract. shocked

How much was Iheanacho bought by Manchester United? Chikili money. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:55am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

On this one, you claimed Guardiola wants his forward to aid in build up play, that's what he's drilling Kelechi on.
Saturday came, Kelechi never dropped and aided the build up play. Instead you manufactured am excuse that it was the midfielders who was at fault. All these somersault just to prove that Kelechi had a good game.
The same game Baxter said our front line was blunt, same game, Kelechi kicked himself for having a poor game, same game Kelechi didnt have a shot on target or even off target? The less said about his hold up game, the better.
Yet you find an excuse to exonerate him.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:03am On Jun 13, 2017
@Mickael2 bros you get mind oh to watch that match for the 3rd time chio grin. I saw it on supersports yesterday I quickly change the station, it was like horror movie.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:04am On Jun 13, 2017
Mickael2:

Exactly what I've been saying. The fullbacks lack of effort going forward was the bane of our attack. Iwobi had a poor game because of this but the bottom line remains, he had a poor game.

Frankly speaking, people should get off the back of Moses Simon. He was the only attacker who came to the party. His delivery is the weakest aspect of his game, thankfully it is a very tiny glitch that can be improved on (he's just 22). We have a promising player in that guy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:16am On Jun 13, 2017
kingphilip:
not as if I'm in support of bringing Ideye back but i think he combines well with a support striker more

If you remember Iheanacho's goal against Zambia and our 2013 AFCON winning his perfect combo with Emineke went a long way to give us that trophy

Hence the reason for my clamor of a 2-striker system where the two understands each other and communicates perfectly well too
you're very correct
I think kayode and nacho can play same role too
but in all...iwobi should be used in the middle...
iwobi's killer passes is still something we have still not utilize in the SE...
I remember his dangerous passes against Egypt in kaduna
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:19am On Jun 13, 2017
goldfish80:

Exactly what I've been saying. The fullbacks lack of effort going forward was the bane of our attack. Iwobi had a poor game because of this but the bottom line remains, he had a poor game.

Frankly speaking, people should get off the back of Moses Simon. He was the only attacker who came to the party. His delivery is the weakest aspect of his game, thankfully it is a very tiny glitch that can be improved on (he's just 22). We have a promising player in that guy.
exactly... I really think aina or ebuehi gonna really help on the defense a whole a lot because they go upfront too....I think Kingsley madu too....I just pray he steps up his game next season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:24am On Jun 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The Journalist that asked that question needs to go and learn how to read the game because he is atrocious. Changing Iheanacho was a wrong option and a wrong call by Rohr and that Journalist is asking why Rohr did not make a wrong call earlier.

Na wa.

The problem we had in the first have was poor final balls. Rohr should have fixed it earlier by getting someone with the ability to deliver better balls. Not removing a striker. Rohr pulled out Iheanacho and Kayode was ineffective too. Is that not enough to tell you that the Call was wrong?

Iheanacho: Struggling to live up to his billing

Isaac Success was Nigeria ’s star man when the Golden Eaglets arrived in the United Arab Emirates for the 2013 FIFA Under - 17 World Cup .
Prior to the trip to the UAE , Nigeria had won the title thrice — 1985 , 1993 , 2007 — and Success was the striker the Eaglets were relying on to win their fourth title .
But Kelechi Iheanacho , who played as a support striker during the qualifiers , snatched the spotlight from Success when Nigeria opened their campaign with a 6 - 1 defeat of Mexico at the Bin Zayed Stadium.
Iheanacho scored four goals in the encounter with Chidiebere Nwakali and Success scoring a goal apiece .
Following an injury blow , Success ended the tournament won by Nigeria with two goals to his name while the unheralded Iheanacho netted six times to emerge as the second highest goalscorer behind Sweden forward Valmir Berisha, who scored seven goals to win the championship ’ s Golden Boot.
Iheanacho won the Golden Ball as he was the tournament ’s best player , while Success, who struggled to get playing time at modest Premier League outfit Watford last season , returned to Nigeria to nurse his injury.
Iheanacho sparked interest from a number of European clubs following his impressive display at UAE 2013 .
It was no surprise that the Taye Academy attacker , who was 16 then, was linked with European powerhouses Manchester United , Barcelona , Real Madrid, Arsenal , Chelsea and Bayern Munich .
But Chilean manager Manuel Pellegrini, who was the then Manchester City coach worked hard behind the scenes to land the Nigerian in 2014 .
Iheanacho broke into Manchester City ’ s first team the following year and ended the 2015 / 2016 with 14 goals in all competitions .
Breaking into the star - studded Manchester City squad meant the young striker had a ‘ divine right ’ to play for the Super Eagles .
He made his international debut as a substitute in the 0 - 0 draw against Swaziland in a Brazil 2014 World Cup qualifier before grabbing his first start in the Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt last year. The encounter ended 1 - 1 .
With the player replicating his performances at club level for the national team , he has since cemented his place in the Eagles , becoming an important player for the side .
His goal helped Nigeria defeat Tanzania 1 - 0 in a Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Uyo on September 3 , 2016 and progressed to score the Eagles ’ second goal in their Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier against Zambia in Ndola on October 9 , 2016 .
The 20 - year- old never wished to burst his bubble but the coming of Pep Guardiola from Bayern Munich to some extent did just that .
Iheanacho struggled to secure regular playing time last season after falling down the pecking order at the Etihad Stadium, with Guardiola preferring Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus .
The two South American strikers fitted into the Citizens manager’ s high intensity pressing game last season. Although the Nigerian is arguably as gifted as Aguero and Jesus , he seems to lack the consistency and power to put defences under pressure and force them to make mistakes .
Iheanacho started only five Premier League games in 20 appearances — scoring four goals .
Although Brazilian Jesus missed a large spell of last season with a broken metatarsal, he scored seven league goals in 10 appearances . Argentina striker Aguero scored 20 league goals in 25 starts and 31 appearances .
Iheanacho is being linked with a move to Premier League mid - table teams Crystal Palace and West Ham after being deemed surplus to requirements at English powerhouse Manchester City .
But the player , who was tipped to become the next big thing after Lionel Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo following his head- turning performances in the Premier League last year, is now struggling to resolve his Manchester City future . He also faces a huge task to convince one of the European big boys that he is still good enough to play at the top level.
Iheanacho had a bad day at the office when the Eagles were disgraced 2 - 0 by their bitter rivals South Africa ’ s Bafana Bafana in Uyo on Saturday . He was a pale shadow of himself before Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr substituted him in the second half .
Former Nigeria captain Henry Nwosu believes the player is being played out of position at both club and the national team , hence his current struggles .
“ Iheanacho is not a top striker but a support striker and a midfielder , ” the 1980 Africa Cup of Nations winner told our correspondent on the telephone on Monday .
“ I think he is finding it difficult to adapt to his role as a top striker at Man City and the national team
“ Aguero and Jesus are ahead of him at Man City because they are playing their natural roles . ”
Nwosu added , “ If Iheanacho decides to leave Man City for a club he will be playing regularly , I will support his decision. ”

http://punchng.com/iheanacho-struggling-to-live-up-to-his-billing/
Yet again another journo says he had a bad game. But what do I know, the whole world is wrong and TheGoodJoe is right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1123) (1124) (1125) (1126) (1127) (1128) (1129) ... (16380) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Stillwater10, engineerboat(m), yemyke001(m), gamaliel9, elyte89 and 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.