Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11243) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11652738 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11240) (11241) (11242) (11243) (11244) (11245) (11246) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2021
Samueltemi337:
Osimhen should not near Liverpool

Man City is better

Man city is better ke

Say guardiola like Africans so grin

The guardiola I know will buy that Fiorentina guy ahead of osimhen ,but anything is possible

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Man city is better ke

Say guardiola like Africans so grin

The guardiola I know will buy that Fiorentina guy ahead of osimhen ,but anything is possible
I prefer he moves to juve if they table an offer for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
Cagliari Coach, Walter Mazzari calls Osimhen a Phenomenal Player

Mazzari to DAZN:

“Osimhen is phenomenal because he runs alone at five players and gets through. If you look at genuine scoring opportunities, compared to the number Napoli created lately, I didn’t see that many.

“We intentionally kept a deep defensive line, because if we pushed higher like the other teams, we’d concede four or five like they did with Osimhen able to run into space. Obviously, Napoli had more possession and attacked more, but this was an intentional approach.”

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
charlesemeka85:
I prefer he moves to juve if they table an offer for him

Those Warey will always come for Napoli and other seria A top players

Juventus will not watch a good striker leave Italy for other teams when they have the money grin

But Napoli president Na yeye man sha

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2021
Italian Ex-football star, Paolo Di Canio on Osimhen

We all remember Paolo Di Canio right? wink Ex-Napoli player, Ex-Lazio player, Ex-Juventus Player, Ex-Milan player but more known for his time in the EPL with West Ham.

This is what he said on Osimhen when speaking to Sky Calcio:

“Honestly, I did not expect such a start to the season from Victor. He is a velociraptor. He is thin but muscular, he is not a ‘moscione’ like Lukaku , he holds the ball to pick up the team. He is an absolutely decisive player for Napoli and he is one who is making a difference.”

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:00pm On Sep 27, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
The keeper was very quick off his lines. I saw the game too. Ejuke went for power instead of trying to pick his spot anyway. But kudos to the goalie.

I think he missed because it was his weaker foot. The angle was good for placement and he had enough time to pick his spot, but weaker foot problems, so he went for power.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2021
Heyya all these hype for victor. I hope and believe that he can sustain it because Nigeria is in a dire need for a global superstar. Since Okocha and Kanu retired, we haven’t really produced a global superstar in the mood of Drogba, eto’o, Salah or essien. The likes of Mikel and moses gets an honorable mention, but they didn’t really shine at club level. I don’t understand how Nigeria produced 5 APOY winners in the 1990’s and couldn’t replicate such feat in over 2 decades.
1) Osimehn
2) Ndidi
3) Iheanacho
4) Chuwkwueze. One of you, or all of you has to step up and take that mantle

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 8:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Therealsupernerd, since you have access to osimehn, please inform him to study, shadow, and emulate Cristiano Ronaldo as much as possible. Let Ronaldo be his role model and epitome of what Osimehn aspire to be, meaning dedication to Fitness, Professionalism, diet. We don’t want a situation like obagoal, aghawonder etc that peaked for few years at Eagles and dipped out of form. Osimehn, please let Ororo be your role model

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 8:43pm On Sep 27, 2021
12large1:
Heyya all these hype for victor. I hope and believe that he can sustain it because Nigeria is in a dire need for a global superstar. Since Okocha and Kanu retired, we haven’t really produced a global superstar in the mood of Drogba, eto’o, Salah or essien. The likes of Mikel and moses gets an honorable mention, but they didn’t really shine at club level. I don’t understand how Nigeria produced 5 APOY winners in the 1990’s and couldn’t replicate such feat in over 2 decades.
1) Osimehn
2) Ndidi
3) Iheanacho
4) Chuwkwueze. One of you, or all of you has to step up and take that mantle

Mikel Obi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2021
PurpleHouse:

Mikel Obi

Mikel won trophies collectively but individually, he wasn’t a global superstar in the form of a drogba, okocha, essien, or salah and mane. He is still a legend tho in his own right

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:31pm On Sep 27, 2021
He is a defensive midfielder
12large1:

Mikel won trophies collectively but individually, he wasn’t a global superstar in the form of a drogba, okocha, essien, or salah and mane. He is still a legend tho in his own right
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:33pm On Sep 27, 2021
So was kante, Makalele and essien. They could all play DM and CM

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
My people make una no vex ooo,

Which kind post and church be dis

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EXTompolo: 1:23am On Sep 28, 2021
https://streamable.com/4trzvn..

Why will vardy do this to nacho?? So bad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 2:06am On Sep 28, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG3ymKzqVCg

New rules in France Football. You can not humble the goal keeper and score a goal. it will be disallowed. Just score normally, Never dribble him and score.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:35am On Sep 28, 2021
PurpleHouse:

Mikel Obi

12large1 is right here. Read these excerpts.

John Obi Mikel sits pretty in this A-list setup and is regarded as the greatest non-hero of Chelsea’s most successful period, the control variable that let the other players in his decade and one year at Chelsea, make names for themselves.

As a control variable in football, you don’t have so many eye-catching performances which can lead to many underestimating the importance to a team. Most of the time, because of the consistent 7/10 performances, the player becomes a victim of his own success and after a while, the fans get bored of the consistency and almost demand such player to have a bad game so they can appreciate him again.

This was the lot of Mikel Obi in Chelsea time and time again even though he was pivotal in Chelsea’s most successful decade in her history with notable Silverware being two Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, The UEFA Champions League in 2012, The UEFA Europa League in 2013, The League Cup in 2007 and one community shield.

https://www.busybuddiesng.com/john-obi-mikel-the-constant-variable/

You can read the article. Very interesting read.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:34am On Sep 28, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

12large1 is right here. Read these excerpts.

John Obi Mikel sits pretty in this A-list setup and is regarded as the greatest non-hero of Chelsea’s most successful period, the control variable that let the other players in his decade and one year at Chelsea, make names for themselves.

As a control variable in football, you don’t have so many eye-catching performances which can lead to many underestimating the importance to a team. Most of the time, because of the consistent 7/10 performances, the player becomes a victim of his own success and after a while, the fans get bored of the consistency and almost demand such player to have a bad game so they can appreciate him again.

This was the lot of Mikel Obi in Chelsea time and time again even though he was pivotal in Chelsea’s most successful decade in her history with notable Silverware being two Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, The UEFA Champions League in 2012, The UEFA Europa League in 2013, The League Cup in 2007 and one community shield.

https://www.busybuddiesng.com/john-obi-mikel-the-constant-variable/

You can read the article. Very interesting read.

Yea I knew of Mikel Role, plus he Hardly got injured, it was the role he played that give Lamps, those freedoms to went forward at will,

His one time assistant coach under Jose, called Mikel a horse, and an unsung hero

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:41am On Sep 28, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Yes, I have heard/read same. And it could be implemented indeed.
But doing so MIGHT (A BIG MIGHT) still see Rohr name just 4 Strikers.

Why do I say so? Rohr will have to increase our midfield quota. Then he will have to accommodate Ahmed Musa and Shehu Abdullahi. Musa named in attack means Rohr should name 3 other wing options but what if Rohr decides not to drop any of the other wing options doing so well and invite all four alongside Musa making it 5 wingers. How many Strikers will he now invite? 5 too? Making it 10 forwards as a whole?

That will leave our midfield with only 5 players. And you and I know we have enough to invite up to 7 Midfield players. So how is it gonna be?

I am guessing Rohr might go with one of these...

1. 3 GKs, 8DFs, 6 MFs, 9 FWs.

2. 3GKs, 8DFs, 7 MFs, 8 FWs (more balanced to me and no room for 5 strikers in this one).

3. 3GKs, 8DFs, 5MFs, 10FWs (to accommodate either Five wingers or Five strikers or both).

4. 3GKs, 9DFs, 5 MFs, 9 FWs.

5. 3GKs, 9DFs, 6 MFs, 8 FWs.

...But time will tell as always.

What about Sadiq U mar? Isn't he from the north?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 7:55am On Sep 28, 2021
EXTompolo:

Omoh see disgrace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 8:14am On Sep 28, 2021
EXTompolo:

una too like controversy. Vardy was only telling him to hurry up and get the ball considering they were trailing and needed to win. Haha my pipo like wahala
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 8:46am On Sep 28, 2021
South Africa squad for next set of WCQ matches:
**Percy Tau has been omitted**

Goalkeepers: Ronwen Williams (Supersport United); Veli Mothwa (AmaZulu) & Bruce Bvuma (Kaizer Chiefs)

Defenders: Nyiko Mobbie (Sekhukhune United); Njabulo Blom (Kaizer Chiefs); Terrence Mashego (Cape Town City); Sifiso Hlanti (Kaizer Chiefs); Rushine De Reuck (Mamelodi Sundowns); Siyanda Xulu (Hapoel Tel Aviv); Njabulo Ngcobo (Kaizer Chiefs) & Mosa Lebusa (Mamelodi Sundowns);

Midfielders: Thabani Zuke (Golden Arrows); Mothobi Mvala (Mamelodi Sundowns); Yusuf Maart (Sekhukhune United); Teboho Mokoena (SuperSport United) & Goodman Mosele (Orlando Pirates); Ethan Brooks (TS Galaxy)

Forwards: Thabiso Kutumela (Mamelodi Sundowns); Bongokuhle Hlongwane (Maritzburg United); Evidence Makgopa (Baroka FC); Victor Letsoalo (Royal AM); Vincent Pule (Orlando Pirates) & Tshegofatso Mabasa (Orlando Pirates)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:21am On Sep 28, 2021
Why the Bleep is someone posting south Africa team list in a Nigeria forum? Is like some people are Mad. Moderators please delete
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 9:40am On Sep 28, 2021
12large1:
Why the Bleep is someone posting south Africa team list in a Nigeria forum? Is like some people are Mad. Moderators please delete
the thing shock me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:56am On Sep 28, 2021
12large1:

We usually post other countries call ups if there is something interesting about it, if you don't like it post something interesting yourself

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 10:24am On Sep 28, 2021
Subzero047:

We usually post other countries call ups if there is something interesting about it, if you don't like it post something interesting yourself

We don't give a Damm about your banana repulblic soccer team. Please, refrain from posting such except they're our opponents or competitors
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 10:36am On Sep 28, 2021
12large1:

We don't give a Damm about your banana repulblic soccer team. Please, refrain from posting such except they're our opponents or competitors

Sorry, I understand this is a Super Eagles thread but I sometimes post football related news from other African teams and prominent national sides. Given the tight race between Ghana and South Africa, I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at their roster going into the next set of CAF WCQ matches.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Grozny: 10:43am On Sep 28, 2021
12large1:

Dude you need to relax lol. We often post about things that aren't related to Eagles football (UCL, other national sides, etc.). Seeing as South Africa maybe potential opponents in the next round, it doesn't hurt to analyze their squad.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:44am On Sep 28, 2021
12large1:

Oga u have no right to tell persons what to post here and you're not even the MODs

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:53am On Sep 28, 2021
Ppogbae:

Sorry, I understand this is a Super Eagles thread but I sometimes post football related news from other African teams and prominent national sides. Given the tight race between Ghana and South Africa, I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at their roster going into the next set of CAF WCQ matches.
That guy is on his usual period abeg. Is it not in this same thread some have become EPL commentators, pundits arguing with VAR and even the usual dose of politics and tribal noise.

That said. It's usually interesting that SA usually have a local based squad. Is it that their players don't feel they can compete on the bigger stage or the fear of homesickness

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:02am On Sep 28, 2021
Odunayaw:
That guy is on his usual period abeg. Is it not in this same thread some have become EPL commentators, pundits arguing with VAR and even the usual dose of politics and tribal noise.

[b]That said. It's usually interesting that SA usually have a local based squad. Is it that their players don't feel they can compete on the bigger stage or the fear of homesickness

South African players just don't have the talent it takes to cut it in Europe... A lot of them have gone to play in Europe before,but couldn't cut it... Tau couldn't cut it at Club Brugge or Brighton... Keagan Dolly who was one of the best player from that Sundowns squad that had Tau and Billiat couldn't cut it in France..Lebo Mothiba too couldn't cut it in France... they are many...

If South Africa had the kind of football talent West Africa countries have, they'd be dominating the continent and competing with he big boys at the world stage, cus they definitely have the infrastructure needed to develop the sport.... That's why they dominate the continent in most sports...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:44am On Sep 28, 2021
Danielnino00:

South African players just don't have the talent it takes to cut it in Europe... A lot of them have gone to play in Europe before,but couldn't cut it... Tau couldn't cut it at Club Brugge or Brighton... Keagan Dolly who was one of the best player from that Sundowns squad that had Tau and Billiat couldn't cut it in France..Lebo Mothiba too couldn't cut it in France... they are many...

If South Africa had the kind of football talent West Africa countries have, they'd be dominating the continent and competing with he big boys at the world stage, cus they definitely have the infrastructure needed to develop the sport.... That's why they dominate the continent in most sports...
apt but it wasn’t always like this, they used to have McCarthy, Nomvete, Zuma, radebe used to be one of the best defenders in the epl mark fish too made his mark in Europe even fortune was a reliable squad member for manutd. I wonder why they suddenly stopped producing decent talents

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 11:44am On Sep 28, 2021
Danielnino00:

Not really. It's just that all of the athletic talent in their nation is concentrated in rugby union, cricket and netball. They have the infrastructure but simply show no interest in utilizing their resources in discovering and developing talents in other sports.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11240) (11241) (11242) (11243) (11244) (11245) (11246) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Pidginwhisper and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.