Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11662057 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11339) (11340) (11341) (11342) (11343) (11344) (11345) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:05am On Oct 10, 2021
I expect to win this match by more than 2.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 11:06am On Oct 10, 2021
BascoVanVeli:
I expect to win this match by more than 2.
3-0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:09am On Oct 10, 2021
Clint02:
Does anyone knows how Rohr will likely approach this game,how will he set the team for this game?...
Or he will just tell the players "Go there and show them what you are made of"

How can anyone know how rohr will approach the game when even the people that work with him doesn’t know

My brother 2Pm is not far from now

Be patient okay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:22am On Oct 10, 2021
Central African Republic exposes Gernot Rohr’s favourite players
Imo-owo
That the Super Eagles put up a show of shame during the World Cup Qualifying match against the Central African Republic last night in Lagos is no longer news. The way forward is all that matters now. To move forward, however, there is a need to review the match and what was responsible for such a capitulation; not the first under coach Gernot Rohr.

Photo Credit: Arab News

It has been discussed on various fora how Rohr’s fixation on certain players has worked for and against the Super Eagles. The downside to this is the continued exclusion of some players who would add some alternative colouring to the team, especially in a situation like the ill-fated match against the Central African Republic. On the not-so-bright side, the opponents were able to expose certain players who have remained integral in the team but who may not totally deserve the untouchable status Rohr has inadvertently bestowed on them.

Photo Credit: Qed.ng

Jamilu Collins has been the mainstay of the Eagles ever since making his debut after the exit of Elderson Echiejile in 2018, largely, due to the lack of better options. He has shared that left wingback berth with the versatile Ola Aina, though he was often preferred to the Torino man. Over time the likes of Zaidu Sanusi have emerged to greater impact, but Rohr surprisingly persisted with Collins, perhaps due to the quality of opposition.

Photo Credit: Top Soccer Blog

This has come back to bite the team because it doesn’t take a genius to see that Collins is bang average, and offers the team little or nothing going forward. If he could be so ineffective against the Central African Republic, it is only imaginable what will become of him against higher quality opposition at the World level.

Photo Credit: Own Goal Nigeria

Leon Balogun is a very likeable chap and one of the more experienced members of the Super Eagles. These sentiments aside, Balogun is really not that great a defender. This was exposed during his stint at Premier League side Brighton - as it was during the last qualifying game. This is not intended to pick on his mistake which led to the last goal Nigeria conceded; however, his lack of pace and sturdiness needs to be called out. Gernot Rohr’s obsession with having a mixed-race Nigerian duo as his first choice pairing may not be the best for the team.

Photo Credit: Koko TV Nigeria

Samuel Kalu arrived in the Super Eagles with a lot of promise but sadly has been all shades of inconsistent, and so has failed to stamp his authority on the team. His struggles with ill-health and injuries at the club level have not helped his cause. Yet, Gernot Rohr has persisted with the Bordeaux man even after series of fainting episodes, keeping Henry Onyekuru and Chidera Ejuke on the fringes longer than necessary.

Photo Credit: Pan African Football

Among the current crop of Rohr’s Eagles, Joe Aribo is the closest to a natural creative midfielder. However, his skill sets have been insufficient in assuaging the glaring lack of creative edge in the midfield. Against CAR, he was subdued in the first half but improved in the second. Ultimately, he failed to provide the cutting-edge when his team needed it the most.

Photo Credit: 90min

There is no denying that on his day, Joe Aribo can be a game-changer, but such days are few and far between in the Super Eagles as Alex Iwobi has proven to be far more effective. This questions Rohr's continued preference for the Rangers man, and in deed, the aforementioned others.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 11:24am On Oct 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:

How can anyone know how rohr will approach the game when even the people that work with him doesn’t know

My brother 2Pm is not far from now

Be patient okay

2pm Nigerian time? What time eastern USA?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2021
Qatar 2022: Why Wild Beats May Devour Super Eagles Again In Duoala
Godaik
On Thursday, October 7, 2021, Nigerian football suffered a serious dent, with unheralded Central African Republic clearly outclassing the Super Eagles 1-0 in a Qatar 2022 World Cup African qualifying Group C tie at Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos.

While the three-time African champions headed into the encounter largely unprepared and without a guide, their visitors had their tails up, perfectly executing.their match plan to the minutest details. The enterprising side secured their biggest win in history, giving them the bragging right heading into the reverse tie in Duoala, Cameroun on Sunday.

That epic fall had been a long time coming, considering recent dismal performances of the Super Eagles under Coach Gernot Rohr. They had put up unconvincing displays in the group's two opening fixtures despite beating Liberia and the Cape Verde Islands 2-0 and 2-1, giving Central African Republic the impetus to go for their scalp in front of their home fans.

While Thursday's embarrassing result is ready etched in history, Rohr and his charges are looking to make amends on Sunday, but here are reasons they may not emerge from Stade Barthélemy Boganda in Bangui unscathed.

Tactical/Technical Ineptitude

Since taking charge in August 2016, Rohr has failed to carve out a playing pattern for the Super Eagles, leaving the team rudderless all of the time. His selection has remained as susceptible as his substitutions during games.

He didn't see the need to invite an attacking midfielder for the double header in the absence of injured Alex Iwobi and Oghenekaro Etebo. The resultant effect was that Victor Osimhen was denied clear-cut passes and had to do the playmaking most of the times, making the opposing defenders shine like diamonds as they effortlessly cleared loose aerial balls.

Taiwo Awoniyi, Kelechi Iheanacho and Osimhen are strikers, and playing two of them at the same time is inimical to the success of any team, but Rohr didn't see this.

Lacking Character

Obviously, the confidence of Super Eagles has steadily diminished since Rohr took charge. Their inability to dominate lesser opponents has seen them lose confidence and taken for a ride. Algeria mauled Niger Republic 6-1 on Friday. That is what prominent teams do to minnows, but Rohr's sympathisers would argue there are no more minnows in football.

The Wild Beasts showed the Super Eagles no respect in Lagos and will certainly not do so in Duoala, having rolled over the supposed African giants in Lagos, where they showed great character by defendibg and attacking where and when it mattered, being the hallmark of a team with character.

Wrong Selections

Rohr play big names, irrespective of their fitness level and mental state, and even there are several other reasons not to. The Franco-German needs to be told how Clemens Westerhof benched foreign professionals for home based players like Thompson Oliha, Moses Kpakor and Ben Iroha while building a team that was ranked 5th in the world, won AFCON and reached the second round of the World Cup in 1994.

Great coaches are always ready to take risks, which explains why Westerhof chose to play Emmanuel Amuneke only in the final of 1994 AFCON, with the former Julius Berger winger clearly handing Nigeria the cup against Zambia in Tunisia.

During the first leg, Ola Aina had been left on the pitch despite proving every foot wrong. A sound coach would have pulled him out for either Kenneth Omeruo or Kevin Akpoguma. William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun went for the ball at the same time while desperately covering up for his lapses, leaving Karl Maxence Namnganda in a vantage position to deliver the killer blow on 90 minutes.

Lacking A Leader/Playmaker

Under Rohr, the Super Eagles have seen some of their outings end futility like a park of wolves without an alpha.

Nigeria have always been blessed with leaders and playmakers, notable amongst whom are late Stephen Keshi, Christian Chukwu, Sunday Oliseh, Nwankwo Kanu and Austin Jay-Jay Okocha. Why Rohr and NFF scouts don't see the need for one leaves one at sea.

Colourless

Inability to string up passes without losing the ball to opponents is a major stock in trade of the current Super Eagles team. The resultant effects are being unable to execute game plans, if any, and allowing opponents to grow into the game and execute their plans.

In the first leg, the Central African Republic team were clearly fitter than their Nigerian counterparts, certainly, a team of largely home based players could have done much better, if the Nigeria season was not off.

Before now, most Nigerians were contented with the team winning ugly, a mentality that has now become part of the fabric of the once revered Super Eagles.

Nigeria might edge their hosts on Sunday, but it must be a scrappy win, as the current team lack the capacity to give Nigerians the same level of enjoyment of the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:26am On Oct 10, 2021
12large1:

What city in yankee ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:38am On Oct 10, 2021
ChrisKels:
Tyson Fury no be anybody mate ooo, see as him take Wilder mop floor once again! Na this guy AJ wan fight? Lol this guy go just end AJ boxing career
...and make AJ mop floor too.

Honestly abi AJ fan o but beating Fury would be like CAR beating Nigeria o

World want to see Fury and AJ fight especially the UK people.

Wilder overrated boxer with no technique...I see him losing to AJ too if they squabble up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:43am On Oct 10, 2021
Overthemoonman:
Saka and Tammy scored for England. I think, Fikayo has finally been captied now.
I pity for Tammy and Fikayo sha. Their chances of going to world cup is still very slim compared to Saka that has at least 60% chance of making it to world cup.
Bro leave those guys alone and let's face our own qualifications that is not even sure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:47am On Oct 10, 2021
Kog45:
Bro leave those guys alone and let's face our own qualifications that is not even sure.

Lol grin grin!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:49am On Oct 10, 2021
Danielnino00:

Akpogunma for Aina.. Musa for Ejuke... Okoye for Uzoho grin cheesy
I’m predicting Musa for Simon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 11:49am On Oct 10, 2021
12large1:

Anyone who live in eastern US should know by now how to differentiate or compute their time zone relative to Nigeria Time zone

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:49am On Oct 10, 2021
drDoom3:

We will probably qualify due to individual talents like Osimhen and Ejuke.

What happens when we meet the good teams though? How do we survive when we can't even create chances against teams like CAR and Cape Verde?

The last game we created and took real goalscoring chances was the Sierra Leone game. Before that, maybe the Lesotho away game. I won't count the Lesotho home game because I consider those goals as three lucky goals. Same with the Liberia goals.

We are struggling to create chances, and this is not only a midfield problem. Looking past our midfield, you'll notice our players are playing without any football sense. Simple one-twos are a struggle for them to make. Through passes, neat crosses, positioning, even simply paying your teammates into space have been problems for our team. The performances are too poor. I feel like we just have a bunch of big name players without team cohesion.
My man which talent are we talking about.

Sierra Leone and CAR have opened our eyes and it is simple Rohr is not good enough.

I came to realize that 2018 qualifications was brilliant efforts of Moses Victor,Mikel Obi,Odion Ighalo and especially that march against Cameroon.

But the big question do we have changers like Mikel Obi,Victor Moses and Odion Ighalo in this present team though we have talented players.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:51am On Oct 10, 2021
Kog45:
Egbon that match vex you gaan o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 11:52am On Oct 10, 2021
damagnificentusb:

Akpogyma at right back cheesy

U see how daft rohr is
The last time Akpoguma played there he fumbled

Dude is a CB and not a right back

Nigeria will not go far with this man at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 11:52am On Oct 10, 2021
Kog45:

Wow.
Our Qualification is not sure in a group with countries like CAR, Cape Verde and Liberia grin grin. And we keep giving updates here every weekend how the players are playing like Messi and scoring like Ronaldo. sad.

I give up mehn.

Anyway, no Early lineup from owngoalnigeria today.

We await the special lineup till 1pm grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 11:54am On Oct 10, 2021
humility33:

Anyone who live in eastern US should know by now how to differentiate or compute their time zone relative to Nigeria Time zone

Lol..so what do you mean?
Don't write in parables sir. Be straight forward grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CornOak(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

Wow.
Our Qualification is not sure in a group with countries like CAR, Cape Verde and Liberia grin grin. And we keep giving updates here every weekend how the players are playing like Messi and scoring like Ronaldo. sad.

I give up mehn.

"Shock their host" got me rolling. cheesy

Is CAR now England for us to be hiding formation and team list? embarassed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

Baba wetin I wan talk AGain grin
My friends that lives in North America all know the hours difference from ours and u can check this online sef grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 11:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

Wow.

I give up mehn.

This Rohr na case grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 11:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Wilder is not overrated, AJ might find it difficult to win Wilder, fighting Fury who is 6ft 9 and has very good technique,foot work, speed and moves in the ring like he's 6ft.
Wilder technique is poor because he started learning to box at 20 years of age,at an age when some boxers have started out their careers. In a boxing match between Wilder and AJ, I will put my money on Wilder.

Kog45:
...and make AJ mop floor too.

Honestly abi AJ fan o but beating Fury would be like CAR beating Nigeria o

World want to see Fury and AJ fight especially the UK people.

Wilder overrated boxer with no technique...I see him losing to AJ too if they squabble up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 11:57am On Oct 10, 2021
Danielnino00:

Akpogunma for Aina.. Musa for Ejuke... Okoye for Uzoho grin cheesy

grin angry angry angry
You sabi d man. Rorh don cast for street
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CornOak(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

You just want to cause another fight. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2021
jihday:
I’m predicting Musa for Simon
I seriously won't mind... Simon has done nothing tangible on that RW since the AFCON..That wing used to be creative with Chukwueze...
At least with Musa, we can be assured of some sprinting cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
andrewbaba44:

What city in yankee ?
Maryland
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by damagnificentusb(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
CornOak:

"Shock their host" got me rolling. cheesy

Is CAR now England for us to be hiding formation and team list? embarassed

Guy I just weak
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
damagnificentusb:

grin angry angry angry
You sabi d man. Rorh don cast for street

Rohr wants Akpogunma to play, but he doesn't wanna start him at CB cus he don't wanna drop his Oyinbo wall... I find that funny cus at the AFCON,Balogun was dropped for Omeruo due to lack of game time...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
Danielnino00:

I seriously won't mind... Simon has done nothing tangible on that RW since the AFCON..That wing used to be creative with Chukwueze...
At least with Musa, we can be assured of some sprinting cheesy

The first step, is to change the formation. 424 formation isn’t balanced in modern day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
jihday:
I’ve always found this ‘hire a tactician for him’ confusing, if he can’t do the job sack him and hire someone who can. No be him family chieftaincy title na
Well.... He doesn't need any tactician, if really he needs one, then he needs a sack even more. However, I still don't think Rohr deserves a sack at this stage. He has delivered some shocking results of recent, but has not been on a string of bad performances at all.

Expect Nigeria to still come back to calmly defeat CAR today. Apart from Algeria, Africa top guns haven't even filled weaker opposition with goals, the way we have. Only thing is that he should never lose against a lowly rated team ever again abeg. It comes with a lot of shame.

However, Pinnick should getat ASAP. I watched his last speech and gave up on him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 12:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Well.... He doesn't need any tactician, if really he needs one, then he needs a sack even more. However, I still don't think Rohr deserves a sack at this stage. He has delivered some shocking results of recent, but has not been on a string of bad performances at all.

Expect Nigeria to still come back to calmly defeat CAR today. Apart from Algeria, Africa top guns haven't even filled weaker opposition with goals, the way we have. Only thing is that he should never lose against a lowly rated team ever again abeg. It comes with a lot of shame.

Africa top guns haven't filled weaker opposition with goals?

I was enjoying your write up untill I saw that.

Algeria vs Niger (6:1)
Mali vs Kenya (5: 0)
Algeria vs Djibouti (8:0)
Morroco vs Guinea Bissau ( 5:0)
Senegal vs Namibia (4:1)

And a whole lot more.

If these are not goal filled, then explain what you mean by the word sir.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
JohnBullMySon:

However, Pinnick should getat ASAP. I watched his last speech and gave up on him.

WTF? @ bolded...

Which weaker opposition have we filled with goals under Rohr??
Seychelles, Madagascar, Burundi,CAR,Liberia,Sierra Leone and Cape Verde are weaker opposition we have faced under Rohr.. by how many goals have we beaten them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
Tolulopefinest:

Africa top guns haven't filled weaker opposition with goals?
I was enjoying your write up untill I saw that.
Algeria vs Niger (6:1) Mali vs Kenya (5: 0) Algeria vs Djibouti (8:0) Morroco vs Guinea Bissau ( 5:0) Senegal vs Namibia (4:1)

And a whole lot more.
If these are not goal filled, then explain what you mean by the word sir.
Them don give that one Rohr potion cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (11339) (11340) (11341) (11342) (11343) (11344) (11345) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2innocent(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.