Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11810) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11778377 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11807) (11808) (11809) (11810) (11811) (11812) (11813) ... (16193) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:46am On Dec 04, 2021
Kog45:
Sir,first question,what prompted that post....a goal against Leipzig and next was pressing issue,stamina,he has not done it in a big stage,comparison with Osimehn and Haaland.I think the timing of that comment lead to reactions,nothing more....no one created the rivalry but the original post.

It was just an observation, no be here people complain about Osimhen missing chances every player will always be praised and criticised na people wey dey jump like say dey shoot them be the problem not an honest criticism
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 04, 2021
Danielnino00:

You should have also shown up to celebrate him...
Or where were you??

grin

Read the Post you quoted, but slowly this time around. Guess you missed the Part where I clearly said; 'didn't see the Match.'
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:49am On Dec 04, 2021
Danielnino00:

Instead of spending so much time on searching for a creative midfielder, why not just tweak the team to switch creativity from midfield..

Apart from Okocha, Nigeria has never really produced that many creative midfielders... Creative midfielders aren't really our thing...But you see the wings, that's our thing...Attacking from the flanks...It's our style..

Somebody suggested that we go the Liverpool way, and I support it... We have the players to make it work...
Aina is an attacking minded full back.. Zaidu isn't so bad going forward too..

Let's try a 4-3-3

Okoye

Aina
Akpogunma
Balogun
Zaidu

Ndidi
Onyeka
Aribo

Chukwueze
Osimhen
Ejuke

Ndidi as the DM, Onyeka as a RCM and Aribo as LCM...

It's much better than the conservative style Rohr is so in love with...
Oga we have pool of players that can fit into any formations but where is the coach.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:50am On Dec 04, 2021
TFLASHOGEE:
he made an observation quite alright which is right but watch same person trying to pitch awoniyi against osimehn with one of his submission and if any moniker does same observation on osimehn's weekness watch the Way people will take same Moniker as hateful and once a player isn't their favourite his success isn't a big deal to them but once their favourite does same thing every where go stew grin grin grin

Favorite and downplaying are two words I will never understand in this thread, no be all SE we dey support so?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:51am On Dec 04, 2021
Its 15goals 5assists

I stand corrected for Union Berlin

That's double figures already and its barely half season!!

He's in the form of his life right now.

And he knows he needs keep it up. With/without injuries this season, Awo will still pass 20goals overall.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:52am On Dec 04, 2021
daveP:

Its outright downplaying. I don't think we need a dictionary to know that.

Hope you know the boldened alone is a big big downplay even with doom3's comment?

How is he not doing well this same season that we are watching?

Chai....

DrDoom3 never said he was not playing well, he had his reservation about his pressing and his stamina and I don't see anything wrong with that

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:52am On Dec 04, 2021
Subzero047:

Who is creating rivalry here if I may ask, the guy made an observation about Awoniyi's weaknesses una turn am from downplaying Awoniyi to creating rivalry, na wa for una for this thread

grin

There is Difference between Criticism and Critique.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:53am On Dec 04, 2021
Can SE play a friendly game without Ndidi in the middle, to experiment something that would help in absence?

I'm saying this cos i remember that Ogenyi Onazi vs France injury, and how things fell apart. I'm sure anyone will understand my POV.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:53am On Dec 04, 2021
Oasis001:

grin

Read the Post you quoted, but slowly this time around. Guess you missed the Part where I clearly said; 'didn't see the Match.'

Not everybody saw the match... Heck, not many people really watch our players every week... But we have score apps to follow their teams and know when they score...and we can watch highlight and check their stats..
So definitely,you knew when he scored..
Why isn't you come and celebrate him?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 04, 2021
elyte89:

If I give u japping.... WC one b rohr undecided grin

grin

We are less down a Month to camping, yet no Update. Let's be realistic bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:54am On Dec 04, 2021
People go dey give you beef wey you no want, na so one guy say Iwobi stole my babe because I criticized him last year grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 04, 2021
Danielnino00:

Not everybody saw the match... Heck, not many people really watch our players every week... But we have score apps to follow their teams and know when they score...and we can watch highlight and check their stats..
So definitely,you knew when he scored..
Why isn't you come and celebrate him?

grin

I definitely knew when he scored? LMFAO! I don hear you sire.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:58am On Dec 04, 2021
Subzero047:

DrDoom3 never said he was not playing well, he had his reservation about his pressing and his stamina and I don't see anything wrong with that

Of which we countered by saying its not true(about poor Stamina), thus the conclusion of downplaying. Its wrong!! It is o.

Besides i don't think we need all our Forwards to be same. A lil Differences is sweeter. That's where a sensible tactician would do well to use such, not like Rohrbish.

And i think its same reason Onuachu is also unwanted in SE lineups cos many think he's "useless", when he isnt.

A tactician will use this talented forwards and get gold.

The taste is in the difference! cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:04am On Dec 04, 2021
Subzero047:

Oga Sub, the post portrayed Awoniyi as a goal scorer that add nothing to the team,pls read the post again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:22am On Dec 04, 2021
daveP:
Can SE play a friendly game without Ndidi in the middle, to experiment something that would help in absence?

I'm saying this cos i remember that Ogenyi Onazi vs France injury, and how things fell apart. I'm sure anyone will understand my POV.
Baba all depends on a coach....I remember sometimes Muttiu stood in for Oliseh and surprisingly Garba Lawal stood in for Oliseh during Olympics semi final against Brazil.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 11:23am On Dec 04, 2021
Subzero047:

Favorite and downplaying are two words I will never understand in this thread, no be all SE we dey support so?
Na all we dey support brother wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:27am On Dec 04, 2021
drDoom3:

He wouldn't.

Despite his recent scoring run, he has still not shown enough that he can deliver at the biggest stage. He looks Onuachu-esque. Poor pressing, poor stamina, but with excellent finishing propping up his stats. It's not all about scoring goals, what else do you have to offer in a game.

Osimhen, Haaland and co. are rated so highly because of how influential they are in games. They can singlehandedly spearhead an attack, and their abilities make them so threatening every minute they are on the pitch. Opposing teams have to put multiple players to mark them or change entire formations just to keep them in check. For example, Serie A teams don't play high line against Napoli when Victor starts. Is Awoniyi that influential in games?

I honestly don't know where to start because almost everything u said is not true. Look at these two stats and tell me what's the big difference.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:29am On Dec 04, 2021
wayodude:
Just want to chime in on the Awoniyi underappreciation debate.

I don't think the intent is to undermine his ability. Yes, he is unexpectedly showing excellent form and almost singlehandedly carrying a modest team in the bundesliga. That's great!

BUT he has to keep doing it and also add a bit more to his game. We were once told that putting the ball in the 'onion bag' is the currency upon which strikers are judged. I think we know now that indeed more is needed. Record breaking goal feats last season by Simy and Onuachu did not excite the top brass in Europe enough for them to cough up the modest amounts needed to secure their services.

Awoniyi has done well for himself, his goals will get him noticed. But when that spotlight from the trained eyes fall on him he will have to demonstrate his repertoire of skills rather than simply point to the goal scorers chart in a single season.

I hope he comes good.

correct and we'll written, indeed you Wayo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:32am On Dec 04, 2021
Oasis001:

Realistically, Musa Shehu and Simon will make the final List, regardless of who leads us AFCON.

My only problem with Rohr is, why inviting too much Defenders when we ain't make use of them? When was last Omeruo starts a Match for Eagles? Or even coming in as a Sub?!

you have s point with your second paragraph,

while the first is no brainer, if a new coach still invites the trio
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 04, 2021
do4luv14:

you have s point with your second paragraph,

while the first is no brainer, if a new coach still invites the trio

grin

Realistically once again..... the Trio can't be dropped at the moment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:40am On Dec 04, 2021
Kog45:
Oga we have pool of players that can fit into any formations but where is the coach.
You can't play just any formation against just any team. No be so e easy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 11:48am On Dec 04, 2021
zuchyblink:
I am not emotional. I say it the way it is no matter whose ox is gored. Nigerians are too emotional that is why our leaders find it easy to rule us, just tick Our emotional box and boom you have gotten us
But what you just said now e make sense?

Innocent Bonke should be considered not deserved. No player right now deserves to be in Cameroon not even Iheanacho and Iwobi.

You work hard to deserve something, na this deserve matter deh make Shehu, Simon, Omeruo, Musa dey get call ups over formidable players. Onyedika is a better player to Bonke but he hasn't been tried but we see him churning out great games and scoring.

Let the players fight for their place in the team, no player deserves anything at the moment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:53am On Dec 04, 2021
elyte89:

If I give u japping.... WC one b rohr undecided grin
you dey vex o, you don’t even want to see his name. I hope there will be permanent solution next week because we have about 3 weeks before camping
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2021
Kog45:
We need more creative in the midfield than choke the midfield with two DM irrespective of their style of play....unless we want to seal up a game.....like our match against Argentina at 2018 WC,someone like Onyeka would have seal the match for us by replacing Mikel or Etebo.

Is Frank Onyeka just a DM?
Whenever we watch a player, let's try to remove ourselves from preconceived notions built around the player, so that we can know the player for who the player really is.

Frank Onyeka's started his career as a forward where he recorded good performances. In fact he has played more in the RW and ST positions than he has as a DM, but the CM position remains where he has prevailed the most. You don't even need research to ascertain this, just study his movements and preferences with the ball, his proclivities for layoffs. The fact that Frank Onyeka is a complete midfielder, makes him a good candidate for the DM role.

Aside Mikel, Frank Onyeka is the most complete midfielder to show up in GWG in recent times.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:28pm On Dec 04, 2021
drDoom3:

Angelino is not a winger, please. He is a wingback/fullback. The fact that he is so involved in Leipzig's attack doesn't mean he is a forward. That is just like saying TAA, Robertson, Reece James, Davies etc are wingers because of how attacking minded they are.

Aina has the raw materials to become a fullback/wingback like these guys. Stamina, pace, decent crossing, strength etc. The difference though is decision making and passing. These guys know when to join the attack, when to pass, when to fall back, etc. Aina struggles a lot with concentration and making the right decisions. This is something a good coach can easily train out of him.

I never said Angelino is a winger, I said he's a full-back deployed as a winger.

76% of his appearance for Leipzig last season came as a winger not full-back.

The reasons he has returned to LB duties this season is due to the departure of Nagelsmann and the return of Szoboszlai from injury.

Here's his last start for Leipzig last season before the coach left.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 12:31pm On Dec 04, 2021
Do you guys think Osimhen will make it?
This Eagles squad can actually win the Afcon
Especially if Dennis gets invited

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:51pm On Dec 04, 2021
Chukwueze doesn't make first start.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2021
yinkeys:
Do you guys think Osimhen will make it?
This Eagles squad can actually win the Afcon
Especially if Dennis gets invited
Osimehn is recuperating faster,hope he make it...Dennis form would be a great boost to our Afcon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2021
Kog45:
Osimehn is recuperating faster,hope he make it...Dennis form would be a great boost to our Afcon.
If the coach pairs them
We are winning Afcon bro.
Forget it
This team has the potential irrespective of goalie, defensive & coach related issues
If Osimhen continues the way he was playing
I don’t think anyone takes that number 9 shirt from him in the next 7 years

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2021
AOI football is reporting reporting Osimhen is will make it for AFCON 2022 cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 1:08pm On Dec 04, 2021
It seems that Amaju Pinnick has confirmed that November rankings will be used for the WCQ draw

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:
Chukwueze makes first start. Earned it.

I think the line up you saw was wrong

He is on the bench

(1) (2) (3) ... (11807) (11808) (11809) (11810) (11811) (11812) (11813) ... (16193) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: trilacos, elyte89, Meliforme, enlady(f) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.