Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12077) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11659764 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12074) (12075) (12076) (12077) (12078) (12079) (12080) ... (16149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:43pm On Jan 05, 2022
kingphilip:

We wan know.

Walele walele where you de o

You're in the spirit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2022
andrewbaba44:

You are far from someone who have an enlightened mind ,abi is this not idenna again ?

You can’t even hide your mentality on some certain things but here you are claiming to be enlightened

How you come into conclusion to call someone my boy says alot about you ,something I have no single idea about ,i still don’t get your constant masturbation once a certain moniker you don’t agree with gets banned .

You don’t even need to insult anyone even though you have been doing that severally ,learn to praise player A without throwing some little jibe at player B grin
Lol. One's level of education inevitably shows whenever he/she engages in any discourse grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2022
BOOOMNAIJA:

Uzoho

Nice

I'm more comfortable with him than Okoye.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by delana(m): 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2022
Currently seeing the Algeria vs Ghana game, it seems the algerians maintain a high press when they aren't in possession, they are good passers of the ball as well, with a very mobile defensive midfielder.
Ghana on the other hand, i feel some of their players have the same deficiencies we noticed among some super eagles players as well such as,
poor ball control, positional awareness, misplaced passes, the wing backs not contributing to attack at all.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:47pm On Jan 05, 2022
IDENNAA:

Based on what I have seen of the duo of Aribo and Iwobi in SE colors I dont have a drop of confidence in them. Aribo is very athletic with an eye for goal but he lack skills and creativity. Iwobi we all know is as confused as they come , so , I don't know what you expect to see. Iwobi himself doesn't even know where on the field is his natural position...he just love the attacking midfield position because of the suppose fame that comes with the position.
Iwobi is too inconsistent but I will excuse Aribo reason being that Rohr tended to deploy him as a second half a midfield pivot alongside Ndidi. Perhaps if he's played in an advanced position, he might give us some shine.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:47pm On Jan 05, 2022
Subzero047:

This guy

How's sector?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2022
The question of Aribo vs Iwobi for AM is a very simple one for me to answer right now. My Pick is Aribo. Easy peasy.
Insane current form. Mad confidence.. Dude is on fire. We need that right now. We cannot have that on the bench abeg.

But let me analyse a little...

Close to the box, we know Iwobi has shown how good he can be for the GWG with a few goals & assists to show for it, but Aribo showed same in his first two games in the GWG before Rohr began restricting his plays to deeper in midfield.
We never saw Aribo play so close to the box again except on few occasions in the last game where his ferocious strike from the Edge of the box almost won the CV game for us.

I have watched enough of Joe Aribo to know that he is no Central Midfield Playmaker or one to dictate plays. He has other attributes. We waste his talents when we play him far away from the box. He's in beast mode close to the box. He is a MF with a direct way to goal.

That lad, Aribo, carries a mighty goal threat from between the lines in the final third and has the touch and the technique to navigate his way towards goal scoring openings either to set up or go for goal himself WHEN PLAYED CLOSE TO THE BOX. Aribo loves situations that allows him to combine in the attacking third with his teammates to create openings for a chance at goal. This is why he is so adept at 1-2 interchanges and making incisive short passes.

Iwobi has the better vision but his shooting is not as consistent or as constantly threatening as Aribo's. Aribo's shooting is way better. Aribo also has the better workrate in addition to his technique and eye for goals. Thus chances of us causing an overload in attack in offensive phases leading to Goals is more possible with Aribo than with Iwobi.

Also, since Aribo will operate behind the striker, close to the box, does it mean the playmakimg duties falls to him? Nope. His own is to roam and exploit the gaps between the lines (gaps in the final third between the defence and defensive Midfield of the opposition) and use his technique and ball control to create further openings of intrusion into the opponent's danger zone.

Who then would playmake if Aribo plays #10? Your answer is Nwakali.

Nwakali is a natural in deeplying Midfield conduction. Iwobi can playmake kinda but not as deep as Nwakali can in Midfield. And this is because Iwobi does not boast the unlimited passing range of Nwakali.
Passing range is key because it means a MF or player is able to quickly pick out passes across any distance on the pitch.
Also, it enables one to switch plays easily and swiftly across any part of the pitch. This skillset can be a game changer and this is where Nwakali comes in apart from a few other attributes he boasts.

And his numbers in la liga 2 speaks volumes of his passing range.

Ndidi is a World Class ball winner. No one does it better in terms of defensive actions than Ndidi. For the past 4.5 seasons in England he has ruled in that respect. Ball winning, tackling, pressing, interceptions are Ndidi's forte.
But Nwakali would also assist on a decent level especially in the areas of interceptions and pressing. His numbers are Decent in these respects.
Aribo's workate would also help out coz he covers ground quite well in both phases of the game (defensive and offensive).

So to answer the last question... Yes, My learned One.

An Ndidi-Nwakali-Aribo Midfield will be more than good enough because it would be probably one of the most tactically balanced MFs we would parade in our MF Options arsenal.

An Ndidi-Nwakali-Iwobi MF trio is also very decent. Can compete but I would not wanna miss out on Aribo's close-to-the-box Dele Alli/Lampard-like beast mode. That guy, should start... and having a genuine DLP behind him might just see him emerge as one of the stars of the Afcon.

Time will tell.

Mujtahida:

Interesting analysis. I hope to see him inject some creative spark in our midfield. Talking about creativity, between Iwobi and Aribo who do you think should play just behind the attackers as an AM?
And do you think a midfield of Nwakali, Ndidi and Aribo/Iwobi is good enough?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2022
somehow:
Time to resume here.

Lets go there.

Super eagles...
wetin dey happen
Wetin dey sheleeee
This guy!!!
Guys are just emerging from the woods like warriors who are returning home. Hope to see tbaba1234 and Joseph16 wetin (can't remember his full moniker again)

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2022
komekn:

Wonders will never cease, the dark black pot calling the kettle black.

Man with one eye trying to show people with two eyes, the way to go.

Did you say something ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

It's somehow that I missed your post. If Subzero047 hasn't quoted you, I might not have noticed. It's been a while Oga How... your absence has been somehow grin

Now, you somehow sneaked back in and think someone wouldn't notice? grin

Happy New Year. May this year not be somehow for you but be one of Certain Joy and Glow. wink Welcome Back.

P.S: Yes, the many mentions are on purpose. grin

Thesupernerd, thanks jare.

Work became overwhelming, so I needed to let somethings go under.

How are you?

It's time to rep the country again.

Can't wait for the tourney to kickstart.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2022
Ghana is collecting 3-0
Avoidable goals. Ghana doesn't have a CM and have surrendered the midfield to Algeria.
Good DMs but no one is controlling play for Ghana
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

Looolll.... I just smiled when you dropped his name and that of the "average crooner" Afobear. It was fun with that guy. Congo4ka was among his many monikers. Hilarious Memories. grin

Meanwhile, Gustav25 (hope I am right) is another. He should be Afobear's twin brother in torment. grin
These two are chief tormentors of the SE in here when they find their mood.
They are like external trolls who come and go. But we have our own in-house SE Performance dissector and pessimism bearer to keep us grounded... None other than The DARKELF HIMSELF. For 3 years running or so, He has been on top of this throne of torment under the blueelf and darkelf monikers. A guy that is more consistent than Garba lawal was in his time. grin

P.S: Happy New Year Sir Mujtahida, Oh Learned one. Great to see thee again.
Good to have you back. We've sorely missed you incisive analysis and encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:53pm On Jan 05, 2022
Spot on my good man. Midfield Control. See this is key to playing on the front foot if not a team would chase the game all 90mins.

nelszx:
Ghana is collecting 3-0
Avoidable goals. Ghana doesn't have a CM and have surrendered the midfield to Algeria.
Good DMs but no one is controlling play for Ghana

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 6:56pm On Jan 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Spot on my good man. Midfield Control. See this is key to playing on the front foot if not a team would chase the game all 90mins.

Partey and one other guy held it for a while but surrendered it to the Algerians. Algeria have a good set up at the back, the 5 and 6 don't move past 3 steps and they must return back (like they have no business going forward)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
IDENNAA:

Based on what I have seen of the duo of Aribo and Iwobi in SE colors I dont have a drop of confidence in them. Aribo is very athletic with an eye for goal but he lack skills and creativity. Iwobi we all know is as confused as they come , so , I don't know what you expect to see. Iwobi himself doesn't even know where on the field is his natural position...he just love the attacking midfield position because of the suppose fame that comes with the position.
. I think I disagree with this until aribo is tested in that AM position. See aribo is technique itself. The guy has eye for goals with deadly final ball. My pick is aribo as AM, nwakali (CMF)and ndidi as the DMF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
Lol... his moniker is Joseph1013. You all should be thanking that fine man daily. He was the pioneer. Always remembered in my books.

And as for Tbaba1234... who knows if he is secretly working with the GKs ahead of the Afcon. I mean, reports from camp say Akpeyi is doing very okay and I am left stunned. Could it be the Tbaba effect? grin

Recall that he was close to making Russia 2018 when we had GK crisis. He volunteered his services and Rohr almost caved in. grin

Mujtahida:

This guy!!!
Guys are just emerging from the woods like warriors who are returning home. Hope to see tbaba1234 and Joseph16 wetin (can't remember his full moniker again)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

Iwobi is too inconsistent but I will excuse Aribo reason being that Rohr tended to deploy him as a second half a midfield pivot alongside Ndidi. Perhaps if he's played in an advanced position, he might give us some shine.

Advanced role like where and what formation and tactics would you employ ?

Bro , we need creativity in our attack and I dont see how Aribo is the solution.

You can try him in AM position but soon he would be demystified like Iwobi , because I don't actually see anything the boy brings to the table.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2022
If other big guns of Africa don't step up, Algeria will bully their way to retain the cup....those guys are smoking hot

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:05pm On Jan 05, 2022
somehow:

How's sector?

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:06pm On Jan 05, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
The question of Aribo vs Iwobi for AM is a very simple one for me to answer right now. My Pick is Aribo. Easy peasy.
Insane current form. Mad confidence.. Dude is on fire. We need that right now. We cannot have that on the bench abeg.

But let me analyse a little...

Close to the box, we know Iwobi has shown how good he can be for the GWG with a few goals & assists to show for it, but Aribo showed same in his first two games in the GWG before Rohr began restricting his plays to deeper in midfield.
We never saw Aribo play so close to the box again except on few occasions in the last game where his ferocious strike from the Edge of the box almost won the CV game for us.

I have watched enough of Joe Aribo to know that he is no Central Midfield Playmaker or one to dictate plays. He has other attributes. We waste his talents when we play him far away from the box. He's in beast mode close to the box. He is a MF with a direct way to goal.

That lad, Aribo, carries a mighty goal threat from between the lines in the final third and has the touch and the technique to navigate his way towards goal scoring openings either to set up or go for goal himself WHEN PLAYED CLOSE TO THE BOX. Aribo loves situations that allows him to combine in the attacking third with his teammates to create openings for a chance at goal. This is why he is so adept at 1-2 interchanges and making incisive short passes.

Iwobi has the better vision but his shooting is not as consistent or as constantly threatening as Aribo's. Aribo's shooting is way better. Aribo also has the better workrate in addition to his technique and eye for goals. Thus chances of us causing an overload in attack in offensive phases leading to Goals is more possible with Aribo than with Iwobi.

Also, since Aribo will operate behind the striker, close to the box, does it mean the playmakimg duties falls to him? Nope. His own is to roam and exploit the gaps between the lines (gaps in the final third between the defence and defensive Midfield of the opposition) and use his technique and ball control to create further openings of intrusion into the opponent's danger zone.

Who then would playmake if Aribo plays #10? Your answer is Nwakali.

Nwakali is a natural in deeplying Midfield conduction. Iwobi can playmake kinda but not as deep as Nwakali can in Midfield. And this is because Iwobi does not boast the unlimited passing range of Nwakali.
Passing range is key because it means a MF or player is able to quickly pick out passes across any distance on the pitch.
Also, it enables one to switch plays easily and swiftly across any part of the pitch. This skillset can be a game changer and this is where Nwakali comes in apart from a few other attributes he boasts.

And his numbers in la liga 2 speaks volumes of his passing range.

Ndidi is a World Class ball winner. No one does it better in terms of defensive actions than Ndidi. For the past 4.5 seasons in England he has ruled in that respect. Ball winning, tackling, pressing, interceptions are Ndidi's forte.
But Nwakali would also assist on a decent level especially in the areas of interceptions and pressing. His numbers are Decent in these respects.
Aribo's workate would also help out coz he covers ground quite well in both phased of the game (defensive and offensive).

So to answer the last question... Yes, My learned One.

An Ndidi-Nwakali-Aribo Midfield will be more than good enough because it would be probably one of the most tactically balanced MFs we would parade in our MF Options arsenal.

An Ndidi-Nwakali-Iwobi MF trio is also very decent. Can compete but I would not wanna miss out on Aribo's close-to-the-box Dele Alli/Lampard-like beast mode. That guy, should start... a having a genuine DLP behind him might just see him emerge as one of the stars of the Afcon.

Time will tell.

IDENNA, food don done oo.
Thesupernerd, superb analysis, you outdid yourself this time.
But one more question: don't you think that with our defensive frailties, a midfield trio of Ndidi - Nwakali - Aribo/Iwobi makes soft in the middle?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FIFApresident1(m): 7:07pm On Jan 05, 2022
IDENNAA:
Ol' boy ballers full this SE current squad.

Imagine:
Nwakali
Awoniyi
Ejuke
Chukwueze
Awaziem
Ndah
Ebuehi
Onyekuru
Sadiq

The above are the players who can confidently move the ball with ease.

Pretenders:

Iheanacho
Iwobi
Simon Moses
Aribo

Players without ball retention abilities

Ekong
Ndidi
Semi

The same Awoniyi you adviced to quit football and use the proceeds to pursue another career?

Cc
Forgiveness

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:08pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

Before afobear, there was congoshiner. Both of them, very interesting personalities.

Congo4ka sir, the guy set sabi Ukraine girls wella,

the guy wine safari no be small
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:08pm On Jan 05, 2022
How far do you think we can go in this Afcon?

Cc: all.

ThesuperNerd good to have you back.

Let the game begin!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Donmobi(m): 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

Leg wey dey bring food.
grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2022
BOOOMNAIJA:
This guy right here, wearing blue shoes will be d brain behind our successful outing, not eguaveon or Salisu.

Pls remind me his name.. his CV is intimidating.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 7:11pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

That Nwakali is sluggish sha ooo.
Yeah but he is technical . I hope he still has it in him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:11pm On Jan 05, 2022
Partey and that Sheriff Tiraspol fella, Addo were never gonna dominate the middle game vs Zerrouki and Adem Zorgane. Zorgane is a CM/Playmaker at Charleroi. His passing numbers shows he passes more into the opposition half than into his own half. Zerrouki does his thing at Twente and is also quite decent. So I am not surprised.

Anyway, Ghana still have Idrissu Baba of Mallorca who can come in and help Partey in the tournament proper. Rajevac can still get it right.

nelszx:

Partey and one other guy held it for a while but surrendered it to the Algerians. Algeria have a good set up at the back, the 5 and 6 don't move past 3 steps and they must return back (like they have no business going forward)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2022
FIFApresident1:

The same Awoniyi you adviced to quit football and use the proceeds to pursue another career?

Cc
Forgiveness

Dont speak on this you have no clue of. You are definitely mistaking me for someone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

IDENNA, food don done oo.
Thesupernerd, superb analysis, you outdid yourself this time.
But one more question: don't you think that with our defensive frailties, a midfield trio of Ndidi - Nwakali - Aribo/Iwobi makes soft in the middle?

Sorry to jump in.

Our defense will need to stay together and have good understanding. That's the first job. Especially playing against high pressing team. Yes the middle if the trio can get easily overrun. Just the fact if just if Nwakali does not get it right in first 15mins of our game. Guess what? Ndidi will be overworked and aribo will get lost in the middle of the park.

All my analysis just for high pressing team.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:16pm On Jan 05, 2022
This Ghanaian side is pretty poor all round

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:17pm On Jan 05, 2022
BOOOMNAIJA:

Take it like that....no further explanation

So who is him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 7:18pm On Jan 05, 2022
Mujtahida:

Darkelf is the dean of the school of carpentry with a keen eye for identifying current and potential students of the school of carpentry.

Congo4ka. Chai, you bad. You still remember! I don laugh tire

Remember when he said he understood Russian language and I think you tried to conjure some sense of responsibility in him by tasking him to do a brief analysis of the cities to host 2018 world cup

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12074) (12075) (12076) (12077) (12078) (12079) (12080) ... (16149) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.