Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,255 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11637286 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12141) (12142) (12143) (12144) (12145) (12146) (12147) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:16pm On Jan 10, 2022
So far so good, this Senegal vs. Zimbabwe looks like a snoozefest.

Cameroon vs. Burkina Faso still the most exciting AFCON game so far

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 10, 2022
Thanks
do4luv14:

what are you selling which one be serezo again

It's Cerezo ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:19pm On Jan 10, 2022
They are playing "Kpo ya Chukwu no g'aza" in this stadium.

Please, which national team between Senegal and Zimbabwe, borrowed the Nigerian Supporters Club? The stadium is almost empty sef

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2022
Shukusheka:
As much as I love this formation and selection, the attack won't work. Should Iheanacho play central forward in a 4-3-3 formation, he should be partnered with pacey inside forwards like Ahmed Musa who can feed off his creativity upfront. Like how Rodgers used Lookman to feed off Iheanacho against Liverpool or how Mane/Salah play off Firminho.

Playing Iheanacho, Chukwueze and Ejuke upfront will have them dribbling, passing the ball around without any them attacking space or being aggressive in the box.

This is the best front three on paper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:24pm On Jan 10, 2022
Boomgist:
Thanks

you are welcome
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2022
Shukusheka:
As much as I love this formation and selection, the attack won't work. Should Iheanacho play central forward in a 4-3-3 formation, he should be partnered with pacey inside forwards like Ahmed Musa who can feed off his creativity upfront. Like how Rodgers used Lookman to feed off Iheanacho against Liverpool or how Mane/Salah play off Firminho.

Playing Iheanacho, Chukwueze and Ejuke upfront will have them dribbling, passing the ball around without any them attacking space or being aggressive in the box.

Eguavoen said the build up of the team is good and I saw the team training seriously on long balls. So, I believe our build up will rely strictly on long balls to wide areas.

I believe Ekong is good at it. Also, Awaziem and Nwakali. These guys are my strong contenders to make our long ball game work. So they should start.

Eguavoen said the crosses are good too. Now this is complex but I think he is okay with the way we are getting crosses in. No disrespect, Musa is not good at it.

I expect we will create loads of chances in the box. In that case, when the chances come, we will need the most clinical finisher we have. So I will pick Nacho ahead of any one in the team.

Finally, we are playing a wide game, so we will likely not play with Central transitioning, so Nacho would not need a linking partner. That will come with the team play offensive support.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2022
safarigirl:
So far so good, this Senegal vs. Zimbabwe looks like a snoozefest.

Cameroon vs. Burkina Faso still the most exciting AFCON game so far

ehn.... how far that interview with Bbc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2022
chrisooblog:
Plus the Barcelona academy but unfortunately off hand I don't know where they are in Lagos.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Eguavoen said the build up of the team is good and I saw the team training seriously on long balls. So, I believe our build up will rely strictly on long balls to wide areas.

I believe Ekong is good at it. Also, Awaziem and Nwakali. These guys are my strong contenders to make our long ball game work. So they should start.

Eguavoen said the crosses are good too. Now this is complex but I think he is okay with the way we are getting crosses in. No disrespect, Musa is not good at it.

I expect we will create loads of chances in the box. In that case, when the chances, we will need the most clinical finisher we have. So I will pick Nacho ahead of any one in the team.

Finally, we are playing a wide game, so we will likely not play with Central transitioning, so Nacho would not need a linking partner. That will come with the team play offensive support.

The thing is Nacho had never been a Striker from the beginning, the continual pushing of him, playing the striking position, had not done him any good, safe his surroundings of goals and assists

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:35pm On Jan 10, 2022
Senegalese dominant as expected. They will be disappointed not to be ahead. Zimbabwe hasn't shown the quality to exploit the space the Senegalese are leaving at the back.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:37pm On Jan 10, 2022
nelszx:
The backroom staff of the super eagles is massive. That Dr Terry guy has 34 international coaching certificates.

He might be the brain behind our success in AFCON

I also think Dr. Terry is a good addition. He has the knowledge but I feel he is also here to gain on-field coaching experience. It is like a win-win situation.

He supplies the tactical analysis and research while he works with some experienced coaching hand.

I think his insights will give us an extra edge.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Folahanmi19(m): 2:37pm On Jan 10, 2022
Who has any idea whether this afcon channel go show on dstv yanga subscription
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:39pm On Jan 10, 2022
Gueye suppose chop slap
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2022
zuchyblink:
We are not primarily talking about AFCON experience but international experience. Sadiq and Awoniyi don't have international experience and that is a big gamble. You don't gamble with your attack, although I don't blame the coach. No thanks to injury (Osimehn) and club politics (Ighalo)
you will never disappoint with this your usual ekuke submission you add osimehn who him self was like an apprentice in the last afcon and will have that greenhorn tag coming to this afcon and tell mbappe and the great Pele this nonsense international experience talk and see them laughing at you then send you to go check thier wiki page to educate yourself wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
A bit harsh Andy coz Zuchyblink actually makes a fair point if you look at things critically. I am not in agreement with him that the lads Awo and Sadiq cannot deliver because they are rookies but he is right to say we gamble on them.
I personally root for them despite their having 1 senior cap between them. Yes Awo and Sadiq have a combined senior cap of 1.

And I think this 1 senior cap thing is what informs Zuchy's stance.

Now on Mbappe, you see... Mbappe that we cite here had 15 senior caps before the Russia 2018 WC.

Pedri had at least 4 senior caps before Euros 2020.

Busquests had about 13 senior caps (including caps at FIFA Confed Cup 2009) before WC 2010.

Pique had about 16 senior caps (including FIFA Confed Cug games as well) before WC 2010.

Pedro also had 3 caps before WC 2010.

I could go on and on. Some senior international exposure was acquired by these lads as prodigies before being unleashed in a major tournament like the WC or Euros. And yes, I know if I dig deeper I will find a few exceptional cases.

But again, like I reinstate, Sadiq and Awo are two lads doing well, especially Awo tearing it up in one of the best 5 leagues on the planet. They are Strikers in form and Fine finishers and I believe they will deliver if chances come their way.

But from the side of caution, Zuchy has a point somewhat.

In all, we have no choice. It will be Sadiq, Awo or Iheanacho leading the lines. And they have my support BIG TIME. All can score goals as long as chances are created.

This is why it is our midfield setup that worries me more than anything else in our team at this Afcon.

Don't mind Andrew and his myopic analysis
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 2:41pm On Jan 10, 2022
Players my eyes are expectant this group stage

Ebuehi

Onyeka

Awoniyi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 2:44pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheGoodJoe:
From what I have seen so far from the training sessions and responses from the head coach, this is my expected formation.

We are going to play a high line possessive game and technique will play a huge role. Ball playing skills will play a big part too. Also long balls from deep will play a big part. So Awaziem and Ekong will work. Aina's offensive duty will play a part.

Prof I hope you will be here to analyze more on this if it eventually pans out to be our starting eleven tomorrow wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2022
zuchyblink:
Don't mind Andrew and his myopic analysis

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 2:47pm On Jan 10, 2022
Senegal playing big man football this first half I hope Zimbabwe won't come out to schoke Dem grin grin grin come second half wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2022
do4luv14:

The thing is Nacho had never been a Striker from the beginning, the continual pushing of him, playing the striking position, had not done him any good, safe his surroundings of goals and assists

Nacho played as a striker for Leicester City. What you saw him do there is what is expected when he plays the nine role.

He is not supposed to stick up front and wait for crosses but be part of the whole game. That is from pressing, tracking back, build up and finishing.

In this system, he will also supply ammunition to the likes of Chukwueze and Ejuke. Just as you saw him feed Maddison and Lookman.

Below is the set up of Man City vs Leicester.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2022
Abi blow sef terrible control. Coach Cisse needs to tell his defenders to concentrate. The only reason they haven't conceded is because the Zimbabweans don't seem to have quality finishers.

Mane should have finished the chance he created earlier through his brilliant run.

jihday:
Gueye suppose chop slap

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2022
Welcome

forgiveness:

Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2022
Like I said without Mane the Senegal team can't compete with Africa top 5 teams. The team is not better than us on paper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 2:56pm On Jan 10, 2022
If our boys show up the AFCON is ours to loose!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:56pm On Jan 10, 2022
TFLASHOGEE:
Prof I hope you will be here to analyze more on this if it eventually pans out to be our starting eleven tomorrow wink

I will. Let us see how it goes. But, I will actually analyse after the game. I hope we like what we see. I have high expectations for the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by POSITIVEBRAINS: 2:57pm On Jan 10, 2022
Good result for Zimbabwe so far. This Afcon no go easy oooooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 2:58pm On Jan 10, 2022
do4luv14:

it actually did him really good while at City getting the most goals par game ratio in europe under pellegrin who understands him much better than any other manager as far as am concern and he did well few times Rogers has given him the opportunity to lead the line though he isn't your tipical point man but his clinicality infront of goal outweigh his little flaws as a real top 9 but he his a perfect fit for a flase 9 wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Folahanmi19(m): 2:59pm On Jan 10, 2022
Folahanmi19:
Who has any idea whether this afcon channel go show on dstv yanga subscription

Anyone pls
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:00pm On Jan 10, 2022
Jamilu Collins on the same flight to Cameroon with sports journalist Oma Akatugba

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 3:02pm On Jan 10, 2022
Subzero047:

This man has already announced that he will be in the world cup list and our new coach has not even started, nepotism will not kill Nigeria
undecided if it was Osimhen that said this, you won't talk this way. He just said his opinion. Every footballer talk the same way, all you do is to misinterpret him. I know you don't Like him. Please be patient, he'll soon retire. Don't be transferring aggression to anything North.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 3:04pm On Jan 10, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

I will. Let us see how it goes. But, I will actually analyse after the game. I hope we like what we see. I have high expectations for the team.
what approach will suit you prof is it typical sit back and hit on counter or gen gen pressing because with this line up we look good winning the midfield battle which will give us that Free flow attacking style "yori yori 9ja football" wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 3:04pm On Jan 10, 2022
Subzero047:

I thought this bastard was just looking for his 100th cap

I'd like you said that to him man-to-man. Not behind your poor android screens with free opera data

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12141) (12142) (12143) (12144) (12145) (12146) (12147) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: GMBOFASIA, foxman04, elyte89 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.