Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11682140 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12184) (12185) (12186) (12187) (12188) (12189) (12190) ... (16154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Uzomarrr123: 8:11pm On Jan 11, 2022
drDoom3:

I don't know what everyone else is watching.

Ejuke had 2 shots on target out of our 5 despite only playing 20 minutes. He was more productive than Simon and Chukwueze combined in this game. He was just unlucky to miss and that there was no true outlet in time for him to make a pass for a tap-in.
He should have passed that ball, I don’t like all those unnecessary run run

You know , we Nigerians are not patient, he’s lucky we won

Him for be our new Fred wey everybody for blame
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:11pm On Jan 11, 2022
Rohr would have subbed in Musa grin

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
dkay51:

Simon worked the most so its expected that he'd make more mistakes, most of the balls were coming to him all angles. He was always at the back defending against Zizo and at the same tormenting the Egyptian defenders. He's my best player today, same way we always give it to Osimhen even when he misses sitters.

I commend greatly the work put in by Simon, he worked himself out and it is commendable.
but as far as impact is concerned, many outperformed him. What will you say to Ndidi, Iheanacho, Aina, Omeruo, Aribo, Ekong.

Aside the first two that i mentioned, the rest are listed in no particular order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
safarigirl:
Tiri gbosa for Ola Aina, man wey sabi

Aina was so good

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
I wonder how Pinnick will take the Criticism if Equavoen wins the AFCON and Peseiro comes to take over grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:13pm On Jan 11, 2022
Who else is happy?

Rohr was an impediment!
The old man stalled Eagles growth for 4years.

The boys played like true Nigerians. Nigerians cherish good football and the boys dished it. Sleek passes, accurate long balls and good wing play.

We can only get better from here.

Soar super Eagles

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:13pm On Jan 11, 2022
mostob:
I'll take this 1:0 sha but I was expecting us to score more.

And Aribo needs to be moved forward,he is a goal-threat.

Ejuke was disappointing but I no go blame am.

Sanusi was the weak link today but I still no go blame am grin grin

Abeg make somebody tell Okoye to stop sleeping on the floor anytime he catch simple ball. The thing funny die... Dude be doing like secondary school amateur goalkeeper grin grin
His distribution was poor today sha but may God bless him for that save.

You're Suggesting a 4-1-2-3 formation niyen.

Aribo and Nacho as the -2.

Nice.

Maduka got a crucial save today so I'll overlook the rest for now. grin

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
komekn:

So how did Awoniyi do it.
Kelechi was there to partner him na. At a time during the game, Kelechi was even ahead of him.
When Kelechi went off, we revered back to 4-2-3-1. Austin must have noticed how isolated Sadiq was upfront which is why (I think) he brought on Iwobi. You could notice We kinda start pressing when Iwobi came on.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
komekn:

So how did Awoniyi do it.

Awoniyi did not press high. His pressing was targeted and he had Nacho to help too. In fact, Nacho pressed more than Awoniyi did. What Awoniyi did very well was hold-up play and ball recovery.

Also, Egypt were not heaping pressure on our defense in the first half, we were the ones doing it to them. When Sadiq came on, they were desperate to score so they pushed forward and we sat back. In such situations a lone striker is allmost useless, especially against four defenders singlehandedly.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DarkJeddi(m): 8:14pm On Jan 11, 2022
12large1:

In your village. A player that couldn’t create 1 single clear cut chance or score despite beating his man numerous times. Even ejuke threatened their goal keeper twice
Stop being so biased..

Simon had a good game..

No assist?

But his darting run had a great contribution to the goal..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
Acecube:
Even if Moses Simon crucify himself for the team, you nor go green say he do anything.

Iheanacho's goal was as a result of his cross if you don't know

Leave those ones abeg ,no Dey waste your energy

As far as Moses Simon is fit he might start all games for the eagles this afcon

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2022
Uzomarrr123:
Can we beat Sudan?

I am still afraid o!

Maybe Sudan can join you to be AFRAID

of Super Eagles. Cos the fear suppose dey their side pass.

Put ball for ground versus them and they'll fall like leaf.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:17pm On Jan 11, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Stop being so biased..

Simon had a good game..

No assist..

But his darting run had a great contribution to the goal..

Simon had a good game but was very unproductive. All flash and flair but breaks down when it really matters.

Also why is no one bashing Simon for not squaring the ball in the first half after Aribo laid it on a plate? Why is no one criticizing Chukwueze for such a poor game by him?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:18pm On Jan 11, 2022
komekn:
I am watching Sudan Vs Guinea B

We should not get complacent at all or we will loose.

Guinea Bissauis a team of tall Trees , essentially Nubian Giants thier style is physicality with AGGRESSION personified

Guinea Bissau are Nubians?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:19pm On Jan 11, 2022
Simon had a better game than Chuks.

Then for the attacking in second half, it was Ejuke shouldering most of that responsibility, though wasted.

Overall, this Selfishness Thing must be discussed asap.

They should show them some Emenike-Ideye Clips if need be.

Nacho is clinical abeg!! In that same position, I'm not sure anyone else would have found the net.

All those Corner Kicks too.....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:19pm On Jan 11, 2022
No one is bashing Awoniyi for not being alert after his header was saved off the crossbar. If he didn't turn back and start celebrating, maybe he would have been able to poke in the rebound.

Why Ejuke?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfem2: 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2022
Uzomarrr123:
Can we beat Sudan?

I am still afraid o!
This your joke no enter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2022
JayromWrites:

Omoh e be like u watched a different match from loads of peeps

I no know wetin Simon need do for una again

E didn't have a jaw dropping performance but he was definitely one of the top performers today

Ignore those one

Na pride be their problem grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Uzomarrr123: 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2022
markfem2:

This your joke no enter
On your TV and see those boys from Sudan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2022
daveP:

You're Suggesting a 4-1-2-3 formation niyen.

Aribo and Nacho as the -2.

Nice.

Maduka got a crucial save today so I'll overlook the rest for now. grin
not necessarily a 4-1-2-3 we can just find another partner for Ndidi and move Aribo forward. For instance today, when Nacho came off,Onyeka or Nwakali will just partner Ndidi while Aribo moved forward

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:22pm On Jan 11, 2022
Oasis001:
Man of the Match for me is Ndidi. First time I enjoyed watching him in GWG. He was solid and battle ready to sink Pharaohs in red Sea.

Simon was outstanding. We saw Simon of Nantes not Simon of Franco German Boboye Era. His end product is questionable though, trust him to adjust.

Awoniyi was exceptional, his presence on the Pitch was a huge Bonus to Iheanacho. Eguavoen wanna recreate Yekini and Amokachi Combo, hope it works with the Duo.

Ekong diagonal passes were so perfect, kudos to stand-in skipo. Aina and Zaidu played well, especially Aina.... he proves his Doubters wrong.

Chuks... not his day, trust him to light up Garoua in the next Match. Ejuke....... sigh! That Dude has a long way to go. Aribo..... always a Joy to watch.

Kudos to Eguavoen and his Crew.

Well said

Chuks will get better

We really saw Simon of Nantes

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Just a lite preview on the lineup

We are playing a kind of 4-1-4-1 or a 4-4-1-1 variant of the 442.

Ndidi as the DM. Aribo to play central and contribute strongly to both defensive and offensive phases. This is why he starts ahead of Nwakali. Eguavoen must be banking on Aribo's workrate against the sleeky and slippery Pharoahs.

Iheanacho to play slightly behind Awo and in some attacking phases, alongside Awo.

I also hope Aribo is licenced to get forward a bit more and cause an attack overload alongside Nacho and Awo today when we are in attacking transitions.

Simon is obviously picked to aid Zaidu in keeping Salah quiet.

Our main attacking threat is likely to come from the Chukwueze-Aina right channel and also part of the threat is possibly gonna be through the middle via Iheanacho picking up gaps between the lines and syncing with Aribo to his side or behind and syncing with Awo uptop.

Ekong and Omeruo continue their tournament pairing from the 2019 Afcon.

Awaziem missing from the matchday squad is a shock. Maybe he picked up a knock coz on form, he is our best CB in this squad.

The other 3 missing from the matchday squad are Olayinka Peter, Noble John and Collins Jamilu.

The matchday squad can accommodate only 23 players per game day.

Good luck Super Eagles.

Soar to Victory. Let's roll. cool

Like I said pre-game...

I also hope Aribo is licenced to get forward a bit more and cause an attack overload alongside Nacho and Awo today when we are in attacking transitions and when crosses come in.

Eguavoen did exactly what I envisioned. Aribo!!!! Chaaiiii... what a player we have in that lad when he is Played close to the box.

His beautiful headed pass to Nacho was highly intelligent and totally caught the Egyptians off guard. Where did this happen? Aribo was right there causing an attack overload for us IN THE BOX alongside Awoniyi who went for Simon's Cross which fell to Aribo and which he intelligently touched only once with his head for a pass to Nacho who finished with aplomb.

I said that Aribo will be key to us not having a problem with numbers arriving into opposition box coz he will be there complimenting the presence of threat the other forwards will create in the box.

Omo.... nothing gives more joy in-game than seeing what you have seen analytically from a distance play out right before your eyes with success.

Aribo is Gold. Preserve that lad. And let him retain the licence to bomb forward into or towards opposition box in our attacking transitions. Beautiful!!! Thank You Austin Eguavoen and Salisu Yusuf. Thank you ooooo

This is the Super Eagles we have been screaming about. Not what Rohr the Virus served us all this time.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2022
komekn:

Football takes no prisoners and you either perform and get dropped.

Ajayi comes in in the place of Omeruo and he makes an immediate impression. Fast and tenacious with his first touch of the ball.

I thought Ajayi was slow but he showed he is not be today. I actually prefer him to Omeruo.

You seize the moment with the few minutes you have and make an impression.
I take your analysis with a huge pinch of salt. I think your prejudice is coloring your views.
I rarely accuse commenters with prejudice or hate but how come you criticizing Sadiq who came when we were doing more of defending than attacking and praising Semi Ajayi over Omeruo who had a superb game? Why wouldn't Ajayi do more when as a defender he joined in to strengthen our defense against the Egyptian attack?

Semi the foreign born over the naija born players abi? There's a disturbing pattern which is congruent with your manifest live for foreign born players over local players.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2022
mostob:
not necessarily a 4-1-2-3 we can just find another partner for Ndidi and move Aribo forward. For instance today, when Nacho came off,Onyeka or Nwakali will just partner Ndidi while Aribo moved forward
Okay you mean replacing Nacho's Spot while the sub takes Aribo's previous spot? Okay i get you.

That may work, especially of it was Onyeka replacing. but he'll most likely be tired by then.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 8:24pm On Jan 11, 2022
Nacho is too heavy... He is not mobile enough. His stamina too is poor.

His first touch naturally is not bad, but when he gets tired it becomes a disaster. He is now not mobile enough to recover after a poor first touch. Guy is a liability after 60+ mins in a game.

However his best attributes are just so good. His shooting is one of the best I have ever seen, even Awoniyi commented that Nacho is one of the best shooters in the history of Nigerian football. Once he gets the ball on his left foot anywhere near the penalty area, with little space he will miss maybe 1 or 2 in 5. Just get him a slimmer of a chance.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:25pm On Jan 11, 2022
forgiveness:

Abeg, make dem leave Omeruo for back ooo. He was too good today.

I hope he is not injured ?

He should start next game if fit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:26pm On Jan 11, 2022
michigang:
Moses simon should work on his final ball. Somebody should teach him how to cross the ball

You are right
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:26pm On Jan 11, 2022
mostob:
Kelechi was there to partner him na. At a time during the game, Kelechi was even ahead of him.
When Kelechi went off, we revered back to 4-2-3-1. Austin must have noticed how isolated Sadiq was upfront which is why (I think) he brought on Iwobi. You could notice We kinda start pressing when Iwobi came on.

In the first 6 minutes there were three long balls straight to Awoniyi. Throughout the game when Omeruo was in trouble he went long Knowing there was an outlet and the outlet was Awoniyi.

Awoniyi is not Drogba or Lukaku but he showed good hold up play and pressed from the front he was pivotal to how we played.

He made it very difficult alongside Moses for Egypt particularly in the first half to get any Rythm. Our Midfield worked their socks off .

Again Awoniyi was pivotal to that.

Imagine Sadiq had started you think we would be celebrating.❓

Nobody thought to give a long ball to Sadiq like they were doing continuously with Awoniyi. WHY

Nuff Said.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2022
Forwards in the Giroud's role may never get their appreciation till maybe the next 2WCs. Smh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:29pm On Jan 11, 2022
12large1:

Dennis would had scored possibly a world class goal. His end product is the best among all our wing forward (this season)
No let club football deceive you. Mo Salah in Liverpool = fire

Mo Salah in Egypt against Nigeria: cold akamu

Mo Salah arguably the best player in the world right now contained by Ekong and Omeruo who are average defenders.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:29pm On Jan 11, 2022
The Moses Simon of Nantes finally came to the Party

Moses Simon was the most impressive of our Wingers today. From an analytical point of view on the defensive side, we knew he would be busy helping Zaidu with curtailing Salah but some points in the game, Zaidu handled Salah on his own and Simon had even more influence on our attacking transitions through the left (Salah's wing) than we had through Chukwueze on the right (non-salah wing... trezeguet was there).

That was crazy. Moses Simon stunned all of us. All of us. He played like a man reborn and out to continue the tradition of a Moses tormenting Egyptians in every generation. grin

Moses Simon is a strong candidate for MOTM but he sits third for me behind Aribo and Iheanacho.

Ahhhh.... I never even drop full analysis and I am already waxing lyrical. Chaaaiiii... What a game. What a Victory!!!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
Ndidi vs Egypt

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (12184) (12185) (12186) (12187) (12188) (12189) (12190) ... (16154) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Yachambliss(m), jihday(m), Kog45(m), elyte89, kingphilip(m), KpagoGIN(m), solonnachi and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.