Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,386 members, 7,861,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:39 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12232) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11929015 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12229) (12230) (12231) (12232) (12233) (12234) (12235) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 6:49pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Osimhen is no lewandowski ,suarez benzema and co,even giroud replaced benzema well for France

You need to calm down with this osimhen a not replaceable abeg

Kudos to him for doing well for us but you need to stop this osimhen is not replaceable

How many strikers have gotten a run of games ?

Osimhen is replaceable if others are given the chance ,even with taiwo good game you are even talking down of him ,just imagine you being the coach incharge

If the coaches dropped osimhen after his first few games you will tell me if he would have come good , hope you know he didn’t score for his first 6 eagles game ?

Presenting his stats and stating my predilection for Sadiq is now talking down on Taiwo.
He gave us his best did not he?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:50pm On Jan 14, 2022
Mujtahida:
Who else noticed that Eguavoen is eloquent. He talks fluently
Who no dey eloquent before, Keshi, Siasia abi? Shuaibu too was very eloquent and of course Oliseh super eloquent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
Meliforme:

Presenting his stats and stating my predilection for Sadiq is now talking down on Taiwo.
He gave us his best did not he?

I said you talked down because you said said sadiq did better than him grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

If your preferred player is not playing doesn’t mean you should bring down another

Imagine someone saying sadiq umar did well than Awoniyi against Egypt

Omo the hypocrisy no be here
baba mi watin we go do now na to continue to dey make Dem know say all of Dem no be the same and make Dem do well na the koko to profit their careers and also give us joy in the national team shirt Onuachu wey win the golden boot na Plus for everyone wink if he no be your favorite player shame go still catch you to like him post and achievement grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
TFLASHOGEE:
baba you suppose know say na because of some people get favourite dey make Dem dey make this thing look like that but Dem self know the truth no be here me and you dey when we both schooled person wey talk say sodiq better pass Onuachu because of some amateur stat grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 6:58pm On Jan 14, 2022
Sudan know how to get result against Nigeria as far as football is concerned. They let us do the playing grin wink.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:58pm On Jan 14, 2022
Meliforme:

Cheif, You mean Taiwo replaced Osimhen perfectly?

Awoniyi won only 1 ground duel out of 8.
1 aerial duel out of 8.
0 dribbles.
0 key passes.

In which area of play was he a perfect replacement.

I will commend Awoniyi's movements and pressing, but he is still not on Osimhen's level.
Osimhen owns the physicality (speed, strength and stamina) and the tactics (intelligence).
If you can remember his somehow diagonal press against Cape Verde. He reads his opponents well

If you didn't use the word perfect, i would have ignored.
Did I say they are on the same level?...I don't think you rate Osimehn as I do....prior to Afcon I was one those that always saying we will miss Osimehn to the extent andrew44 needed to caution me that available guys will do the needful.

We beat Egypt and Awoniyi did well and I believe Osimehn doing more than Awoniyi in that match is 60/40 and using word perfectly should not be an issue but if you have issue with it,that's my opinion.

Pls can you beat your chests prior to that match that we are beating Egypt even if Victor Osimehn was available.

The report is uncalled for at the moment that we missed Osimehn against Egypt...we didn't missed him and I wish we don't miss him in our subsequent matches cos missing him not good for us in this Afcon.

Osimehn remain the number one GWG CF and not easy to be displaced but damn good that he can be replaced in case of any eventuality.I saw that against Egypt and mind you I based my point on Egypt match.

Good we are having Eguavoen not Rohr who would have cried out that no way for this team without Victor Osimehn,Odion Ughalo,Leon Balogun,Shehu Abdullahi and Kevin Akpoguma.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 7:03pm On Jan 14, 2022
somehow:

What they played without "if" has been shambolic so far for a country rated no 1 in Africa.

Lets work with that.

Shambolic might just mean they've not met your expectations. I expect them to qualify from the group, perhaps not with this quality of football they are playing. I never expected them to come winning all their games like 3 nil or so. They were lucky with the penalty against Zimbabwe(of course penalty is part of the game). I think they are yet the click, there is just something missing perhaps we might find that spark in the knockout stage. I know they got some one or two covid issues too, but that's not enough reason not to play some exciting soccer. However, barring Nigeria who has played well in the first game the other nations are somewhat not settled in the tournament. Algeria equally did worse than Senegal. They played a lesser seria leone team. Having defeated ghana in the friendly too. We can only hope that our team keeps its upward trajectory going
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 7:04pm On Jan 14, 2022
Watford don't play. Even Ex-players dey collect

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Meanwhile, Outside the Afcon... Ighalo would be in action in 26mins for Al Shabab in the Saudi league.

He will want to extend his goals count in the Saudi Pro League as he currently sits as joint Top Scorer (11 goals) in the league.

Abeg, make una no vex as una see Iggy update... Na report I dey report. grin Daalu nu grin
Doctor carry go joor...Odion Ighalo na our own and we are proud of him,having different views about his coming back not hateful but normal talks.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:08pm On Jan 14, 2022
Kog45:
Thank you for this simple explanation....when a team had a competitive match,the next training is called recovery training for the XI and it doesn't last more than 30 mins...Those that didn't feature or had less minutes against Egypt were damn fresh and expected they must have an edge and secondly they just need to raise their games to be considered as a starter.

Late Rasheed Yekini doesn't score much in trainings but crazy when it comes to real test....more reasons a psychologist is important in any team.

Baba, you have said it all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 7:12pm On Jan 14, 2022
We've got some crazy (good) goalkeeping heroics. My gush Comoros Gk was really superb

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

I said you talked down because you said said sadiq did better than him grin
Even after Egypt match,Eguavoen had serious talk with Sadiq based on his performance.

Great opportunity for Awoniyi and Sadiq to prove themselves that they can be relied upon, so left for the duo to do the needful.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Nobody is lying there

Victor was given a run of games before he started doing well

But someone here want awoniyi to score hatrick within 5 minutes against Egypt grin

We should not even deceive ourselves ,as it stands the quality of our strikers aren’t far from each other ,it’s not as if one is suarez and the other one is Shane long

The quality in each of our strikers are quite distant from one another.
Just like Safarigirl has said, Taiwo is Taiwo..
Taiwo is not Osimhen. Let's be content with what we have and hope for the best

And please do not forget my preference in Sadiq.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:27pm On Jan 14, 2022
Meliforme:

Sadiq impressed me more than Taiwo.
Oh how i love him.

Yes, Taiwo is Taiwo let's enjoy what we have.
It all started with my reply to a post that said "Taiwo replaced Osimhen perfectly"
Sir Meli,just say you don't rate Awoniyi Taiwo,simple and we move on....mind you I have players I don't rate in GWG and Ekong is one but the guy did very well against Egypt.

Sadiq better than Taiwo against Egypt said it all....Sadiq that Eguavoen needed to visit his room to talk to him that he wasn't impressed with his performance.

Good the legend like Asamoah Gyan is rating Nigeria as team to beat in this Afcon based on our Egypt match.

Baba,just calm down and let see how this team unfolds as tournament progress.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:33pm On Jan 14, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

Who no dey eloquent before, Keshi, Siasia abi? Shuaibu too was very eloquent and of course Oliseh super eloquent.
The ex internationals like late Keshi,Oliseh,Siasia even speak french eloquently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:35pm On Jan 14, 2022
Zimbabwe couldn't beat Malawi? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:39pm On Jan 14, 2022
M7even:
We've got some crazy (good) goalkeeping heroics. My gush Comoros Gk was really superb

That keeper is quite good.

He saved a PK and also pulled off some unimaginably heroic saves as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:43pm On Jan 14, 2022
Obinna nwobodo with an assist

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
M7even:

Shambolic might just mean they've not met your expectations. I expect them to qualify from the group, perhaps not with this quality of football they are playing. I never expected them to come winning all their games like 3 nil or so. They were lucky with the penalty against Zimbabwe(of course penalty is part of the game). I think they are yet the click, there is just something missing perhaps we might find that spark in the knockout stage. I know they got some one or two covid issues too, but that's not enough reason not to play some exciting soccer. However, barring Nigeria who has played well in the first game the other nations are somewhat not settled in the tournament. Algeria equally did worse than Senegal. They played a lesser seria leone team. Having defeated ghana in the friendly too. We can only hope that our team keeps its upward trajectory going

For a number one team in Africa, I guess they have met your expectations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gannod(m): 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2022
Mujtahida:
Who else noticed that Eguavoen is eloquent. He talks fluently

Most of the players that played for Super Eagles in the 80s/90s are eloquent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 7:54pm On Jan 14, 2022
Kog45:
Sir Meli,just say you don't rate Awoniyi Taiwo,simple and we move on....mind you I have players I don't rate in GWG and Ekong is one but the guy did very well against Egypt.

Sadiq better than Taiwo against Egypt said it all....Sadiq that Eguavoen needed to visit his room to talk to him that he wasn't impressed with his performance.

Good the legend like Asamoah Gyan is rating Nigeria as team to beat in this Afcon based on our Egypt match.

Baba,just calm down and let see how this team unfolds as tournament progress.

Why will i not rate a player who has 12 goals overall for his club.
All that i am saying is that Osimhen is more handful and that Sadiq impressed me more with glimpses of his skills.

Eguavoen may have expected more from Sadiq (Sadiw, I think i like this variant after that typo error coming a moniker in here), but that is not the point the point is that i will not wait for eguavoen to rate a player, before giving my rating.

I am not Eguavoen and Eguavoen is not me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Parrot69: 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2022
nelszx:

May likely not be held in Cote d'ivoire cos we all know they aren't prepared to host the tournament not even in 3 years time.

Algeria or Morocco may be a likely host

Ivory Coast is almost ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRl66C4Qri8

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
A Must Watch: Paul Ebere Onuachu, Goals Lord and King of Belgium on Teamwork

Watch Onuachu thanking his teammates for his latest "Golden Shoe/Best Player in Belgium for 2021" award.

It almost brought tears to my eyes. Probably the most beautiful video on appreciating teamwork you will watch today. Only 2 mins and 41 secs of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guvxCFS7auY

The punchline is, "It's an individual trophy, but without a team you don't succeed as an individual".

Beautiful speech, Paul and more wins & triumphs to you.

P.S:
Really can't wait to have this guy, Monster Machine (Osimhen), 4 lungs Midfield horse (Etebo) and Dean of Defence (Balogun) back in the fold ahead of March's WCQs cracker.

Not to mention newbies like The Menace (should he be called), The MF machine (Alhassan) & maybe Onyedika.

The future of our team is ever bright. The New Golden Generation. wink

Kudos to Onuachu. I think he is the second Nigerian after Kayode Olanrewaju to become best player of a league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
Meliforme:

Why will i not rate a player who has 12 goals overall for his club.
All that i am saying is that Osimhen is more handful and that Sadiq impressed me more with glimpses of his skills.

Eguavoen may have expected more from Sadiq (Sadiw, I think i like this variant after that typo error coming a moniker in here), but that is not the point the point is that i will not wait for eguavoen to rate a player, before giving my rating.

I am not Eguavoen and Eguavoen is not me.
Opinions always differ but wishes always the same...I wish eagles well against Sudan tomorrow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:12pm On Jan 14, 2022
MetalJigsaw:
Two Things That Could Have Happened If Victor Osimhen Was In The Game Against Egypt.
News Hub Creator

Nigeria played one of their best games on Tuesday, the 11th day of January 2022. The game was against the Pharaohs of Egypt and the Super Eagles got the better of the North African side by 1-0, courtesy of the goal scored by Leicester City's striker, Kelechi Iheanacho.

The Super Eagles had a good game, but there were still some players who were not on top of their game. This now leads to the question, what would have happened if Victor Osimhen was in action against the Pharaohs of Egypt?

Probably, Taiwo Awoniyi played to his best, but his best couldn't have been up to the best of Victor Osimhen of Napoli. Let's take a look at what could have happened if Victor Osimhen played against the Egyptians.

1. The Super Eagles would have scored more goals in that game; Taiwo Awoniyi played well, but he was not pacy enough to connect with Moses Simon, who was always on the run towards the box of the Egyptians. In that game, one of the strengths of the Super Eagles was their solidity in the midfield.

The Eagles were strong in the midfield that the attackers of the Pharaohs of Egypt hardly went pass them. With such performance in the midfield, Victor Osimhen would have scored at least a goal in that game. He is pacy and has good positioning.

2. The defenders of the Pharaohs of Egypt would have been restricted to their box; fear factor is one thing that works in the game of football. There are a couple of strikers who are feared by the defenders, and Victor Osimhen is one of those strikers. His presence on the pitch would have kept the defenders on their toes in that game, this would have given the Super Eagles more opportunities to press them more in their box.

It's really painful that Victor Osimhen couldn't play at this tournament. Do you think Taiwo Awoniyi would possibly replace Victor Osimhen as expected? Let's have your thoughts on this article in the comments' section.

What did Osimhen do with the one on one he had in the World Cup qualifiers?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2022
Please guys watch this post match analysis of Nigeria vs Egypt. It's a masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpG6UVQz6S0

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:16pm On Jan 14, 2022
Please, has anyone gotten word about Awaziem and his COVID situation?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:16pm On Jan 14, 2022
forgiveness:

Kudos to Onuachu. I think he is the second Nigerian after Kayode Olanrewaju to become best player of a league.

When did Kayode play in Belgium?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 8:17pm On Jan 14, 2022
Awoniyi is just a slower version of Osimhen. Fact.

Modified: Awoniyi is more physically solid too.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:17pm On Jan 14, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Low level leagues for these players according to komekn

But he praised and compared aboubakar of Cameroon with ighalo who has only played at turkey and Portugal during his time in Europe

Komekn will never rate players from turkey ,but he is rating aboubakar because he isn’t Nigerian and wanna use it to get at some of our players grin

If you want to make point do we have to tell tell lies, to what purpose

Actually Aboubakar played 5 seasons in French League one, before going to Porto for five seasons and partly on loan to Besikitas. In the 2017/18 season he was among the top five goal scorer in the Portuguese league with 15 goals.

He suffered a cruciate ligament injury had to have reconstruction. Then after a lengthy lay off and rehabilitation he signed for Besikitas in September 2020/21 season once again he was among the top goals scorers with 15 goals and his team won the league.

He then decided to follow the money, he is on a reputed $135k a week, don't forget football is still a career. He has nothing to prove.

I am rating him because against all odds he has showed himself proven tested and capable. And I was doing a comparison of him and Ighalo for us to appreciate Ighalo even more. Who is seemingly better than him.

If these players wanted to play in La Liga , EPL they would get teams, but most cannot afford him.

Do you think if they offered some of these our young players just 1/10 if what these players are making they would not run to Saudi Arabia even adopt Islam if required. Some of those young players are on less than $3k a week.

Remember my long standing proposition,

Better a Lion in a low quality league and club than a mouse in high quality league and club.

You not me have brought the comparison. How many of our players in the Turkish league are in the top five outstanding players in that league

Finally these players did not drop to lower league on account of poor performance but chose to follow the money, which was offered to them on account of outstanding performance in better leagues.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2022
safarigirl:
Please, has anyone gotten word about Awaziem and his COVID situation?

I read on one of the sports page that Eguavon said he suffered a knock...

(1) (2) (3) ... (12229) (12230) (12231) (12232) (12233) (12234) (12235) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m), gamaliel9, comodo, elyte89, mekabuachi, Joebie, Philosopher1979 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.