Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,629 members, 7,847,632 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:57 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12775) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11846634 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12772) (12773) (12774) (12775) (12776) (12777) (12778) ... (16242) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:
According to some peeps here nwakaeme is too old for super eagles and cannot even make the bench let alone the first team ,but dem serve una Onazi cheesy cheesy

I can boldly tell you that if ndidi gets injured it will be Onazi that will be his replacement

Since una no rate Turkish league make una begin rate Saudi second division
Na you go call up Onazi from the standby ni

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 7:54pm On Mar 08, 2022
Subzero47:

I told you you no dey watch SE, Balogun was not the key member of the famed 'oyibo' wall that served Nigeria for 5 years in a row through our best world cup qualifiers and the world cup proper to the Afcon qualifiers to a 3rd place Afcon finish with multiple man of the match awards you to compare him with Oboabona besides what is Oboabona's SE accomplishment again?

I think you overrate Balogun. For real. Obviously he has played some good games for SE (WCQs vs Cameroon and Algeria) but aside from that he's been very average and both he and Ekong are so uncomfortable with the ball at their feet. I have never been excited about him..

I always panic when I see him tackle or go for the ball.... Baba gives me that same feeling Eguavoen used to give me.

Of all our defenders, the best for me is Awaziem because of how comfortable he is defending and on the ball. Unfortunately, that isn't saying much because he is quite susceptible to some errors that are kind boggling..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:
According to some peeps here nwakaeme is too old for super eagles and cannot even make the bench let alone the first team ,but dem serve una Onazi cheesy cheesy

I can boldly tell you that if ndidi gets injured it will be Onazi that will be his replacement

Since una no rate Turkish league make una begin rate Saudi second division

No foreign coach will ever pick a player like Onazi languishing in the 2nd division of Saudi Arabia. Never!!!

The sooner we get a progressive coach and professional administrators , the better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:10pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

I think you overrate Balogun. For real. Obviously he has played some good games for SE (WCQs vs Cameroon and Algeria) but aside from that he's been very average and both he and Ekong are so uncomfortable with the ball at their feet. I have never been excited about him..

I always panic when I see him tackle or go for the ball.... Baba gives me that same feeling Eguavoen used to give me.

Of all our defenders, the best for me is Awaziem because of how comfortable he is defending and on the ball. Unfortunately, that isn't saying much because he is quite susceptible to some errors that are kind boggling..
Balogun is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet?

grin This just keeps getting ludicrous

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:10pm On Mar 08, 2022
Liverpool vs Inter in a few minutes, let's see how bad the Serie A really is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:10pm On Mar 08, 2022
Odunayaw:

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:11pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

No foreign coach will ever pick a player like Onazi languishing in the 2nd division of Saudi Arabia. Never!!!

The sooner we get a progressive coach and professional administrators , the better.
Arab money changing hands grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:12pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Nobody overrate balogun pass that guy grin

But calm down sha on some of your takes ,and Wetin eguavoen do you ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2022
Karlovych:
Imagine a league where Dominic Solanke is dealing with their defenders,

Average defenders like Mamadou Sakho, Mangala, Soyuncu, Mustafi, can play for several years in the EPL but Akpoguma wouldn't be able to do that.

Sometimes Komekn overates the EPL

Mamadou Sakho captained PSG at 17 ,played 4 seasons at Liverpool fell out with Klopp and moved to Crystal palace he has 29 caps for France. And you are calling him average.

I will remind you Omeruo couldn't cut it in the Championship and was unable to progress at Middlesbrough. But many regard him as our best defender I don't.

You are calling Mustafi, average he was a top performer in the Seria A and LaLiga , although he spent 3 seasons in Everton but never played one game for the first team.

Soyoncu was a top performer in the Bundesliga before coming to the EPL.

Mangala was an outstanding performer in Porto which pabed the way for him to go to Manchester city.

If you are calling these defenders average then what does that make our defenders. Awaziem could only get into Porto B with a few game's in the first team.

Yes these defenders were not outstanding in the EPL , a testament to the high level competitive nature of the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2022
Odunayaw:

Very strange for him to say that. Balogun that will comfortably dribble a striker inside the 18

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:14pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

But a foreign coach can pick someone from the German 4th division grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 8:17pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

See how you dey join gaff because you wan hate player grin, Balogun is uncomfortable on the ball what else he is not fair grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
PurpleHouse:
How true
it's clear as daylight that his mind was not even with the SE from the onset. We no need him sef... Mtchew grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
komekn:

Mamadou Sakho captained PSG at 17 ,played 4 seasons at Liverpool fell out with Klopp and moved to Crystal palace he has 29 caps for France. And you are calling him average.

I will remind you Omeruo couldn't cut it in the Championship and was unable to progress at Middlesbrough. But many regard him as our best defender I don't.

You are calling Mustafi, average he was a top performer in the Seria A and LaLiga , although he spent 3 seasons in Everton but never played one game for the first team.

Soyoncu was a top performer in the Bundesliga before coming to the EPL.

Mangala was an outstanding performer in Porto which pabed the way for him to go to Manchester city.

If you are calling these defenders average then what does that make our defenders. Awaziem could only get into Porto B with a few game's in the first team.

Yes these defenders were not outstanding in the EPL , a testament to the high level competitive nature of the EPL.

If you are being sincere with most of your takes like this then we would always agree with you

You tend to talk down on players you don’t rate

Look at how you rate soyuncu because he is doing good well at the epl

When soynucu was playing at Freiburg I am sure you would have tell the world how soyuncu won’t make Fulham bench

There is nothing soyuncu did at Freiburg that akpoguma isn’t doing at Hoffenheim for your info

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
do4luv14:
the way news and arguing dey fly for here ehn, I don even forget when we dey Play Ghana
forget wetin? A match I've been praying for .... grin grin
Make Dem players sha no disappoint.
Ghana must go.......go home I mean,not WC grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
Subzero47:

See how you dey join gaff because you wan hate player grin, Balogun is uncomfortable on the ball what else

Maybe you don’t know how to read or you are going blind gradually ,because I say you do overrate balogun means I also agree with the fact that he is uncomfortable with the ball

If saying he is not our Maldini and baresi means hate then I like the hate grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:23pm On Mar 08, 2022
Windscribe:
Top 3 African strikers in Europe this season

1, Sebastian Haller 32 goals in all competition

2, Taiwo Awoniyi 15 goals in all competition

3, Pierre-Emeric Aubameyang 12 goals in all competition

Sebastian couldn't cut it in the EPL he was essentially a flop.

But he goes to the Eredivisie and he becomes the highest goal scorer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:24pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Same akpoguma that said he can’t wait to be a regular player for the eagles and play at the afcon in January ,he said this sometime December ,he later didn’t make the list and told Oma akatugba in an interview that he was dissapointed that he didn’t make it to the afcon and he will keep working ,so I don’t know where owngoal got their news from sha ,maybe it’s true maybe it’s not

I still wonder why people think akpoguma is not committed in playing for naija just because he wanted Germany at first and it took time for rohr to convince him ,you guys want all players to be commit their international future to Nigeria immediately they are being approached ,just like Ebuehi aina balogun Ekong who have no hope of making other national team at first

The foreigners will always put us second ,no matter how fast they commit to us ,it’s only when their national team is faroe island or Azerbaijan they will put us first

Akpoguma was having hope in making the Germany team at first ,if players like ridle Baku ,David Raum Chris Gunter can be having some caps then akpos would surely have hope
Andrew, you will make a good human right activist sha grin grin grin
Na from Nwakaeme matter I begin notice am.
Anyway,in response to your post, Dessers,Aina and Ebuehi were once in same position as Akpors sometimes ago, why didn't we read an article like this about them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:28pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Then you don’t know the meaning of woeful

That famous match we drew I guess akpos was the only bad player ,dem Kuku dey serve una Maduka wey collect easy 4 goals grin
He was woeful abeg....his wing was like an Express way. A CB who couldn't even perform well at RB, how is he going to perform at CB?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:30pm On Mar 08, 2022
komekn:

Sebastian ciuldi cut it in the EPL he was essentially a flop.

But he goes to the Eredivisie and he becomes the highest goal scorer.

Hazard was a king at the epl and he went to Laliga and he flopped to the extent that Chukwueze was better than him

Such is life Baba

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 8:34pm On Mar 08, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Eguavoen nor do me anything . I am just sick of the system and Eguavoen isn't helping matters.

What are his reasons for inviting onazi's for a crucial match like this?

We all saw what keshi did at the WC in 2014. He took 23 players to the World Cup only 11 players are suitable to play. Onazi got hurt and the whole team was rendered useless. SMH.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:46pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

Eguavoen nor do me anything . I am just sick of the system and Eguavoen isn't helping matters.

We all saw what keshi did at the WC in 2014. He took 23 players to the World Cup only 11 players are suitable to play. Onazi got hurt and the whole team was rendered useless. SMH.

But egu said he wasn’t the one that invited Onazi though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:01pm On Mar 08, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Very strange for him to say that. Balogun that will comfortably dribble a striker inside the 18
grin I hope we are keeping scores for the Gaffe of the Year Award sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:06pm On Mar 08, 2022
Joezinho:

The way y'all acting like Onazi is going to be part of the team is quite funny cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:25pm On Mar 08, 2022
mostob:
forget wetin? A match I've been praying for .... grin grin
Make Dem players sha no disappoint.
Ghana must go.......go home I mean,not WC grin grin

when will the match be played, I know it's this month, but had forgotten the day and time

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:35pm On Mar 08, 2022
Salzburg cheesy cheesy cheesy

I want mancity or Liverpool to teach Bayern a lesson they will never forget
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 13large: 9:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
It would had even be better to include a young talent on our standby list than players like onazi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:57pm On Mar 08, 2022
komekn:

Forget your tags , how many players have gone straight to the best teams in the Bundesliga from the championship ❓

Akpoguma will not make the bench at Fulham and Fulham is way better than Hoffenheim and has superior quality players.

So let's examine my proposition by team composition analysis: Below two screens shots of players and bench of both teams in a recent match.

Let's start from the back main CB's for Fulham are T.Ream ( USA 48 caps) , Adarabioyo ( CB) Hector (Jamaican 35 caps), Wing backs - Tete( Dutch 14 caps) Robinson (USA, ?) Williams ( Liverpool loanee Wales caps 17) l will not talk about Terence Kongolo who is Dutch international but very injury prone.

Hoffenheim main CBs are Akpoguma, Hubner, Grillitsch, Posch, no senior international caps apart from Akpoguma 4 for Nigeria. Wing backs Kadeřábek (45 caps Czech) Raum (3 caps Germany),

Let's look at the midfield , Fulham currently Anguissa is on loan at Napoli ( not sure why he not in the Championship with Fulham) Carvalho ( pre contract to Liverpool FC) Chalobah, Seri( 38 caps Cote d'Ivoire) Onomah, Cairney( Scotland caps 2)

Now let's look at Hoffenheim Midfielders , Gieger, Baumgartner (17 caps Austria), Stiller, Samassékou (17 caps for Mali)

And finally the main forward player's; Bebou (19 caps Togo and the top goal scorer si far this season with 7 goals in the Bundesliga), Kramaric (65 caps Croatia) Dabbur (33 caps for Israel) Rutter.

Now let's look at Fulham strikers; Mitrovich, highest number of goals scored in a season in the history of the Championship so far , with 34 goals from 32 games. Essentially astounding. I'm sure some of you remember the two goals he scored against us in a friendly game 2018.

Other forward players are Decordova-Reid (16 caps for Jamaica) , Kebano ( Congo 7 caps) H.Wilson (29 caps for Wales)

Mitrovich is on near £90k a week.

There are more than five players who have scored at least 7 goals in Fulham in the Championship.

In my honest opinion if Hoffenheim played Fulham FC they would get beat COMPREHENSIVELY. In every department Fulham are better. Bebou will not get into the Fulham team their best striker. Consider Ivan Cavaleiro (Portuguese 3 caps) he can't get into the team always on the bench he is much better than Bebou.

Please put emotive sentiment based preference aside and be objective.

Onomah no where to be found even in championship chei
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:22pm On Mar 08, 2022
do4luv14:

when will the match be played, I know it's this month, but had forgotten the day and time
first leg, March 25, 3:30pm in Ghana

Second leg March 29, 1pm in Abuja
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:25pm On Mar 08, 2022
Samson Tijani comes in for Salzburg

So happy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2022
That Martinez goal one of the reason why I can't rate Van Dijk as the best defender currently, too lackadaisical and tries to be cute.

Thiago Silva would have taken Lautaro out cleanly. The shot wouldn't even come off with Koulibaly.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:32pm On Mar 08, 2022
Abi for club level dem dey pick where dem wan play.? You are asked to play where you are needed at any given point in time. The main reason you are invited is to be integrated into the team wherever the need is at any given point in time.

If I understand you question in bolded, he played as an RB and RWB at club level prior to his call up. So it is fair to also rate him in that position because he got his invitation by virtue of current club performance at the time abi?

andrewbaba44:

He is now a RWB and a good cb

Before playing as a RWB for his club was he tested as a cb for the eagles ?

How can someone proove he is better than your current CB when you didn’t play him there at the national team cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (12772) (12773) (12774) (12775) (12776) (12777) (12778) ... (16242) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Caicedo, Posh(m), cromz(m), AndSunGorilla and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.