Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12843) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11712110 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12840) (12841) (12842) (12843) (12844) (12845) (12846) ... (16162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:01am On Mar 22, 2022
Surebaba01:
How una see am

Eguavoen plays an offensive system. Pull back Aribo to run box to box, take off Onyeka and put Nacho behind Osimhen. That is my expected line up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:28am On Mar 22, 2022
Surebaba01:
How una see am
sharp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:29am On Mar 22, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Please for next time sake, leave out the abuses.

Noted

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 2:49am On Mar 22, 2022
safarigirl:

There are 10 people in camp

Iheanacho was the tenth person and he came in sometime around 4.

Akpeyi, Etebo and Musa are the other 3

Thank you safarigirl for the heads up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:22am On Mar 22, 2022
Arsenal have joined the race for Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.

The Nigerian has become one of the most sought after forwards in world football after 21 goals in 44 league appearances for Napoli.

Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is targeting a big striker signing this summer after the departure of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nkeitah are also entering the final months of their respective contracts.

Gazzetta dello Sport - via Sport Witness - have reported that Osimhen is on Arsenal's radar.

However, their pursuit of Osimhen will depend on whether they have enough to cash to meet Napoli's asking price of £84million.

The north London club are currently in fourth on the Premier League and securing Champions League football could go a long way to signing Osimhen next summer.

Manchester United and Newcastle United have also been linked with the 23-year-old.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:28am On Mar 22, 2022
Thirteen of the players invited for the Super Eagles showdown with the Black Stars landed in Abuja on Monday ahead of the team's first training session.

Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa has showed up in camp and joining him are his former Leicester City teammate Kelechi Iheanacho, Watford midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo, Omonia Nicosia duo Andullahi Shehu and Francis Uzoho, and Nantes winger Moses Simon.

The remaining players in camp are Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Ola Aina, Daniel Akpeyi, Semi Ajayi, Odion Ighalo and Frank Onyeka.

The players still being expected as at 2330 hours on Monday include Maduka Okoye, Kenneth Omeruo, Calvin Bassey, Zaidu Sanusi, Joe Aribo, Akinkunmi Amoo, Innocent Bonke, Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Osimhen, Umar Sadiq, Emmanuel Dennis and Ademola Lookman.

The Super Eagles' players and officials are scheduled to fly out to Ghana on a chartered flight on Wednesday, March 23.

The Ghana Football Association have yet to confirm the players invited for the World Cup playoff as part of their strategy to surprise the Super Eagles but the fact is that almost every football loving Nigerian can name the opponents' ideal starting lineup.

Thirteen players in Nigeria camp Monday, March 21, 2022

Goalkeepers (2) : Daniel Akpeyi, Francis Uzoho

Defenders (5) : William Troost-Ekong, Semi Ajayi, Leon Balogun, Ola Aina, Abdullahi Shehu

Midfielders (2) : Frank Onyeka, Oghenekaro Etebo

Strikers (4) : Odion Ighalo, Ahmed Musa, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:25am On Mar 22, 2022
fabyom:
I don't understand why Aribo, Bassey, Lookman and Dennis are not yet in camp when their club mates are. These guys need to be serious!
especially Dennis, his club didn’t even play over the weekend

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jasena: 5:30am On Mar 22, 2022
Do you know that Ghana is ranked as slight favourites to win the first leg of the playoffs. I looked at our defense line and all I could see is mediocrity. None of the defenders have played active football in the last 2months for their club sides except Calvin bassey (who would most likely would be benched), and Sanusi. Are players like abdullahi shehu, balogun, ekong, with unfit omeruoand match rusty etebo the most in-form footballers Nigeria can come up with? Now the only player close to world class in our squad Ndidi is out. I hope people won't be disappointed after the game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jasena: 6:12am On Mar 22, 2022
The midfield was already weak with the absence of a creative midfielder which Ndidi doubled as both a defensive midfielder and a creative midfielder in the last afcon,. Now Ndidi is out. Check out any cup wining team they need a creative midfielder, they need someone like Luka modric, the reason Spain won the world cup and euro back then was the midfield. They didn't have outstanding strikers but with xavi and iniesta in the centre it was hard for the opponents to gain meaningful possession. Eguavon should look for a creative midfielder, when we won the afcon in 2013 Mikel made more decisive passes than any other player in that afcon edition. He was the livewire spearheading the attackers with incisive passes. We need a player like that, The absence of a creative midfielder was why we couldn't equalise against Tunisia, and eguavon tried to bring in Iwobi to fill that gap but he should have had planned his team around a playmaker from the onset and now we still lack one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:49am On Mar 22, 2022
Afena-Gyan at RW

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:56am On Mar 22, 2022
jasena:
The midfield was already weak with the absence of a creative midfielder which Ndidi doubled as both a defensive midfielder and a creative midfielder in the last afcon,. Now Ndidi is out. Check out any cup wining team they need a creative midfielder, they need someone like Luka modric, the reason Spain won the world cup and euro back then was the midfield. They didn't have outstanding strikers but with xavi and iniesta in the centre it was hard for the opponents to gain meaningful possession. Eguavon should look for a creative midfielder, when we won the afcon in 2013 Mikel made more decisive passes than any other player in that afcon edition. He was the livewire spearheading the attackers with incisive passes. We need a player like that, The absence of a creative midfielder was why we couldn't equalise against Tunisia, and eguavon tried to bring in Iwobi to fill that gap but he should have had planned his team around a playmaker from the onset and now we still lack one

Let us believe in Akinkunmi amoo. If pedri can do it for Barcelona and Spain as a teenager then amoo can be the creative force we need. Remember a 17 year old pele dazzled at the 1958 world cup.
Our /Nigerian messsi can do it

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:30am On Mar 22, 2022
maidaboi:
did he won the pk?

Yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:35am On Mar 22, 2022
jasena:

God Lord! You don't ever shut up!!
Shut up!!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:39am On Mar 22, 2022
jasena:
Do you know that Ghana is ranked as slight favourites to win the first leg of the playoffs. I looked at our defense line and all I could see is mediocrity. None of the defenders have played active football in the last 2months for their club sides except Calvin bassey (who would most likely would be benched), and Sanusi. Are players like abdullahi shehu, balogun, ekong, with unfit omeruoand match rusty etebo the most in-form footballers Nigeria can come up with? Now the only player close to world class in our squad Ndidi is out. I hope people won't be disappointed after the game

Pele o... We have no idea that Ghana are parading the likes of Haaland, Salah, Mbappe and Messi in attack for our defenders to be shivering about them!
And of course, na otu we carry for attack for Ghana defenders to very relaxed about facing us .

Since you surfaced here,all you have done is whine like a woman...Please rest!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Rockyrascal(m): 7:41am On Mar 22, 2022
Surebaba01:
How una see am
coach eguavoen's pattern at the AFCON was an offensive style. And I'm sure that would be the same approach against Ghana.

Oshimen upfront, iheanacho behind him. Aribo at the CM role and onyeka at DM (4-4-2)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Quicksilver5: 7:45am On Mar 22, 2022
give them the right amount they will sell
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 7:48am On Mar 22, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Yes

Sadiq Umar underlying stats are wonderful. He will win penalties create 5 chances and complete 7 dribbles in a match.
He has 9 assists and has won 4 penalties this season. He has ball carrying which is fundamental.
No wonder Eguavon likes him. He is a very creative and effective forward.
His all round play is the real reason teams are after him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:05am On Mar 22, 2022
Here's the Ghana squad they have been hiding all weeks...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Rockyrascal(m): 8:06am On Mar 22, 2022
Ghana squad to face Nigeria announced some few hours ago

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:12am On Mar 22, 2022
charlesemeka85:
Copenhagen dazzler Akinkunmi Amoo has confirmed that he will jet off to join the Super Eagles at their training camp in Abuja on Monday.

The 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star has earned a maiden call-up to the senior national team on the back of his excellent performances for Hammarby last season that saw him involved in 18 goals in 36 all-competition appearances for the Swedish club.

Amoo marked his full debut for FC Copenhagen in the best way imaginable by scoring the game-winning goal in a 1-0 win over FC Nordsjaelland in Parken on Sunday, tapping in from close range after a cheeky pass from Khouma Babacar.

The Sidos FC product was a player of interest to manager Augustine Eguavoen before the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations but could not be added to the roster for the tournament in Cameroon as a replacement for Odion Ighalo because CAF did not approve the request.

Amoo is delighted to be selected for the first time to play for the Super Eagles ahead of their upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Ghana.

"It's really big for me to be with the national team for the first time. I'll be leaving tomorrow and it's going to be really exciting for me," Amoo said to FC Copenhagen's official website.

"It's some incredibly important matches for the national team that are fighting to get to the World Cup finals, and I'm happy to be selected".

The 19-year-old Amoo has been in action for 63 minutes in competitive first team matches since the start of 2022.

Don't you think there is a double standard here as well as nepotism and favouritism.

These leagues are rated close to 20 in Europe and they are not the most competitive of leagues by quality.

But people go up in arms when the mention of the Championship and much more English league one players are mentioned as potential SE players.

Amoo may indeed become the next Mbappe , but at the moment he has not justified a call up playing 60:+ minutes for Copenhagen. When there are far better players in better leagues and clubs .

The NFF give credence to unproven youth players defying all rational even before they have done anything. It's obvious that most are anchored on past relationships with NFF big Wigs.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:15am On Mar 22, 2022
Rockyrascal:
why were they hiding it as if they were going to surprise us with C Ronaldo and Messi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 8:24am On Mar 22, 2022
Joebie:
Afena-Gyan at RW
This is the Ghana lineup
Afena gyan won't start, it'd be Yaw Yeboah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 8:27am On Mar 22, 2022
Rockyrascal:
It will take less than 24 hours to break down this Ghana team. Player for player, strength and weaknesses of every player

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 8:27am On Mar 22, 2022
Rockyrascal:
coach eguavoen's pattern at the AFCON was an offensive style. And I'm sure that would be the same approach against Ghana.

Oshimen upfront, iheanacho behind him. Aribo at the CM role and onyeka at DM (4-4-2)

Nacho should not start.

We need creativity behind Osimhen. Nacho can't provide that. He can come in second half. I know some people go get erection ontop my assertion and misunderstand it, but who cares?

Yes he scores goals once in a while, but truth is, Nacho will limit our creativity upfront and make our midfield Minus-one.

I mean I don't get it; doing the same thing over and over again means Eguavoen hasn't learnt his lesson from the last Afcon.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 8:30am On Mar 22, 2022
We cannot afford to be short in midfield. This game is a battle of midfield. Forget about wingers, them go try cage our wings, hence, whoever controls the midfield, wins this game. I can guarantee you that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:36am On Mar 22, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

You have points sha, there is Ejaria, Onomah, Aneke and am sure many other Nigerian players in League 1, League 2 or even the Nationwide league who would astound all of us with their performance if rightfully invited. This thing isn't rocket science right? Sir K, am not so familiar with the EFL, league 1 and the other guys but please amplify by mentioning some of them please

Actually Ovie has just come back from long standing Injury , Tega is on his way to the EPL with Fulham and Chuks has played 5 games and 2 goals for Charlton athletic in league.

But once again Chuks is injured again he is unfortunately very very injury prone he was out for two seasons with injury at one stage.

Well as you know Aribo came ftom League one straight to the SE from Charlton.

But I actually be don't think league one players should be considered unless they are clearly best in league and club like Aribo clearly was. And by the same yardstick players in back street in leagues in Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:37am On Mar 22, 2022
komekn:

Don't you think there is a double standard here as well as nepotism and favouritism.

These leagues are rated close to 20 in Europe and they are not the most competitive of leagues by quality.

But people go up in arms when the mention of the Championship and much more English league one players are mentioned as potential SE players.

Amoo may indeed become the next Mbappe , but at the moment he has not justified a call up playing 60:+ minutes for Copenhagen. When there are far better players in better leagues and clubs .

The NFF give credence to unproven youth players defying all rational even before they have done anything. It's obvious that most are anchored on past relationships with NFF big Wigs.

If e pain you, just drink some cold water...
All those players in the championship haven't done anything to justify a call up either...
No matter how much you try to hype the championship,it is still a second division league!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:40am On Mar 22, 2022
Rockyrascal:
I am talking about is current form for his club. Are we inviting players now based on the club they play for? You talk low on a player who plays in Ligue 1

I am looking at his form in the lesgyits just simply very average and not outstanding admittedly his club his relegation bound and struggling.

In this regard nothing to rave about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 22, 2022
PurpleHouse:

Nacho should not start.

We need creativity behind Osimhen. Nacho can't provide that. He can come in second half. I know some people go get erection ontop my assertion and misunderstand it, but who cares?

Yes he actors once in a while, but truth is, Nacho will limit our creativity upfront and make our midfield Minus-one.

I mean I don't get it; doing the same thing over and over again means Eguavoen hasn't learnt his lesson from the last Afcon.
true,iheanacho should not start.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:42am On Mar 22, 2022
andrewbaba44:

He was before the long injury

I really really like Etebo followed him from his Warri Wolves days. I had very great expectations , was expecting him to be the next Ngole Kante when he first went to Stoke city but it just didn't happen.

He is struggling for game time in Watford not more than 8 games all season. He has been Injured as well.

Should he be invited in my opinion No.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:45am On Mar 22, 2022
samtol4:
Watching the clips of Amoo Akinwunmi it appears the guy is skillful and a very good passer of the ball.I hope the coach will know make right selection

If you put Chukwueze in that low level league he will be like Mbappe and Messi.

So it's very difficult to say if he is true quality or he just seems good in that low level league.

He needs to go to a higher level before we can know for sure how good he is. He is being promoted to the university from primary school without passing any exam IMO.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:53am On Mar 22, 2022
komekn:

If you put Chukwueze in that low level league he will be like Mbappe and Messi.

So it's very difficult to say if he is true quality or he just seems good in that low level league.

He needs to go to a higher level before we can know for sure how good he is. He is being promoted to the university from primary school without it passing any exam IMO.
Let him learn how to walk first before you ask him to run.... He's on the right track so far....

(1) (2) (3) ... (12840) (12841) (12842) (12843) (12844) (12845) (12846) ... (16162) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.