Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,003 members, 7,852,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:51 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13042) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11879242 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13039) (13040) (13041) (13042) (13043) (13044) (13045) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:40am On Apr 12, 2022
zuchyblink:
Nepotism and favouritism is Killin our football, why Salisu? Why not Ilechukwu,Maikaba or Eguma?
and why not Salisu? Our best outing at CHAN was orchestrated by him. Keshi 3rd, Oliseh group stage, Imama didn’t even qualify. Salisu is one of the best coach in the land he deserved the role. The only one I don’t understand is Ladan Bosso.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:41am On Apr 12, 2022
komekn:

Was he not at Derby County and left with the club at the bottom of the Championship.

I would not say he has Great pedigree although he did ok at PSV.
he did very well at PSV but I wouldn’t want him sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 7:22am On Apr 12, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 8:43am On Apr 12, 2022
jihday:
and why not Salisu? Our best outing at CHAN was orchestrated by him. Keshi 3rd, Oliseh group stage, Imama didn’t even qualify. Salisu is one of the best coach in the land he deserved the role. The only one I don’t understand is Ladan Bosso.

In a saner clime, Salisu should have been locked up in jail with the keys thrown in the mouth of a whale.

As for bosso, I wonder how a complete and total loser like Bozo is still getting called up to Manage the u20s... SMH

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 12, 2022
Coach Waldrum of the super falcons is doing some good things without making much noise. Give these girls 2 weeks of proper blending..we will be bery hard to beat. Our goal keeper is damn good.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:01am On Apr 12, 2022
Truidstar:
Coach Waldrum of the super falcons is doing some good things without making much noise. Give these girls 2 weeks of proper blending..we will be bery hard to beat. Our goal keeper is damn good.
playing five at the back and still chopping goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 10:36am On Apr 12, 2022
fabyom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3JzGMVBjo

Pinnick was actually responsible for Musa and Ighalo invitations. He forced Rohr to select Musa! Apologies Mr Rohr! He practically wanted Equaveon to start Musa and Ighalo against Ghana. This man is an ass...! No wonder Equaveon brought Musa on in the 2nd half of both games. Wow!

But it is high time Musa and Ighalo retires nah

We didnt qualify for the world cup again so let them announce their retirement to allow us build a team with this young lads

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:38am On Apr 12, 2022
Highlights of the Super Falcons game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVl2Ldfdlg

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:51am On Apr 12, 2022
mkrest:
I say they pick valverde, yes he won't come cheap, but didn't some big company back them up on rohr's salary, they could try same with him, knowing there is a high chance that they might get their money's worth

Nff can not afford velverde

Go and check how much velverde was earning at Barca then and divide it in 20 places ,it’s still more then rohr salary ,so even if the guy decides to take a very Huge pay cut we won’t still afford it

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 11:26am On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Go and check how much velverde was earning at Barca then and divide it in 20 places ,it’s still more then rohr salary ,so even if the guy decides to take a very Huge pay cut we won’t still afford it

Yeah, but question is, why short list him knowing you won't pick him, why lead him on?
And valverde on his part, should know where his huge wage demands will be met, did someone ill advice him to apply for the job?
Egypt and south Africa would have been more positioned to meet his demands, not Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:33am On Apr 12, 2022
mkrest:

Yeah, but question is, why short list him knowing you won't pick him, why lead him on?
And valverde on his part, should know where his huge wage demands will be met, did someone ill advice him to apply for the job?
Egypt and south Africa would have been more positioned to meet his demands, not Nigeria

Nff is trying to play the ambitious role here by putting big names to make some gullible Nigerians happy

No coach listed there applied for any job sir

Nff is camouflaging velverde ,Blanc while they must have decided on appointing a peseiro or any other ekuke European coaches ,those big names are there incase the lowly rated European coach they employ fails ,then you will now hear velverde and Blanc was our choice but we could not reach a deal with them

Nff is just giving us what we call sharwama and cold zobo grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:34am On Apr 12, 2022
One thing I've noticed about our Falcon teams over the years is we find it hard to retain possession especially against superior opposition. Our defence and goalkeeper can barely get a breather, because before we regroup at the back the opposition will already be bearing on our goal. Like the men's team the Falcons need more quality central midfielders like yesterday.

I don't know is it a problem of coaching, scouting or both? Why can't we produce half decent CMs?

Samueltemi337:
playing five at the back and still chopping goals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:39am On Apr 12, 2022
grin grin grin

But you never know. Pinnick might be able to convince (confuse) Otedola or Dangote to foot the bill for Blanc or Valverde's Salary cheesy.

andrewbaba44:

Nff is trying to play the ambitious role here by putting big names to make some gullible Nigerians happy

Nff is camouflaging velverde ,Blanc while they must have decided on appointing a peseiro or any other ekuke European coaches ,those big names are there incase the lowly rated European coach they employ fails ,then you will now hear velverde and Blanc was our choice but we could not reach a deal with them

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:42am On Apr 12, 2022
mkrest:

We can afford anybody as far as I am concerned if we really want to , considering aw much our public officers loot our money, but den we already know where NFF is going,oda names dere are just 4 mere distraction of d public, dey don't want a public outcry of listing only paiseiro..we already know whom NFF want to engage

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:51am On Apr 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
One thing I've noticed about our Falcon teams over the years is we find it hard to retain possession especially against superior opposition. Our defence and goalkeeper can barely get a breather, because before we regroup at the back the opposition will already be bearing on our goal. Like the men's team the Falcons need more quality central midfielders like yesterday.

I don't know is it a problem of coaching, scouting or both? Why can't we produce half decent CMs?

Same thing with our men ,seems holding possession for more Dan 2/3minutes is a crime in our national team tactics... I can't remember d last time our fans taunted our opponents with sounds like "hey hey hey" by d fans while holding possession for a long time smiley smiley

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 11:52am On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

It's not a must he gets paid those crazy wages he was paid to manage Barcelona. The job description for national team and club aren't the same. Clubs play every week, while sometimes in 3 months you get to play once with the national team. Here, he's hired to play games against Mozambique and Lesotho, every now and then he could play 2nd tier friendlies against the likes of Peru and Romania.

Speaking of wages, Luis Enrique used to earn €18M as Barcelona manager. The highest paid in the world but as Spanish national team manager, he earns €1.5M annually. Out of the €1.5,he still got a reduction of 25% because of covid. It's all about negotiation and managers know national team management don't pay as much as club football. So their expectations are whipped accordingly.

Nigeria can hire a world class manager with a budget of $100k a month. If north African clubs can pay their managers $100k monthly, why not Nigeria?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 11:59am On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

we can afford Blanc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:10pm On Apr 12, 2022
Samueltemi337:
we can afford Blanc

Are you sure ?

Do you know how much he was paid at al rayyan before he was sacked ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Are you sure ?

Do you know how much he was paid at al rayyan before he was sacked ?
$2 million per year I think

and that's a club

Rohr was paid $540k per year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2022
Barryseal:

It's not a must he gets paid those crazy wages he was paid to manage Barcelona. The job description for national team and club aren't the same. Clubs play every week, while sometimes in 3 months you get to play once with the national team. Here, he's hired to play games against Mozambique and Lesotho, every now and then he could play 2nd tier friendlies against the likes of Peru and Romania.

Speaking of wages, Luis Enrique used to earn €18M as Barcelona manager. The highest paid in the world but as Spanish national team manager, he earns €1.5M annually. Out of the €1.5,he still got a reduction of 25% because of covid. It's all about negotiation and managers know national team management don't pay as much as club football. So their expectations are whipped accordingly.

Nigeria can hire a world class manager with a budget of $100k a month. If north African clubs can pay their managers $100k monthly, why not Nigeria?

He was paid to manage Barcelona ,which is the dream of many coaches ,and he was even well paid ,and you think he will accept a low salary to come and coach in Africa ?

You can listen to what you are saying oga barry ,Luis Enrique earned much as a Barca manager and earned less while coaching for Spain because of the love he got for his country ,are any of these managers you mentioned Nigerians ?

Nigerian have the finance to pay a coach 100k monthly ,but ask yourself if they would do that ?

You are acting as if this is not the same nigeria me and you knows

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2022
Samueltemi337:
$2 million per year I think

and that's a club

Rohr was paid $540k per year

Will your nff bring out that money ?

Same nff wey sabi hold person salary

Lol

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
grin grin grin

But you never know. Pinnick might be able to convince (confuse) Otedola or Dangote to foot the bill for Blanc or Valverde's Salary cheesy.

cheesy

Anything is possible
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 12:55pm On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

He was paid to manage Barcelona ,which is the dream of many coaches ,and he was even well paid ,and you think he will accept a low salary to come and coach in Africa ?

You can listen to what you are saying oga barry ,Luis Enrique earned much as a Barca manager and earned less while coaching for Spain because of the love he got for his country ,are any of these managers you mentioned Nigerians ?

Nigerian have the finance to pay a coach 100k monthly ,but ask yourself if they would do that ?

Enrique is Catalonian, why didn't he take a paycut when coaching Barca? The fact remains club football is more rewarding then national team football, for both players and coaches.
Top 5 paid coaches at the last world cup where on €2.5-3.5M wages. Half of that gets us a "big name" .

For me, Philip Cocu interests me. Barca schooled, worked with PSV's U19s and graduated a host of the youngester with whom he won the Dutch league with +17 points and still they remain the backbone of the present Dutch national team speaking of Winjaldlum, Depay, De Jong.
His PSV team edged out the current rave of the moment Erik Ten Hag's Ajax for his 3rd Dutch championship in 5 season with PSV.

The most important thing is getting in the right person with the passion, drive and hunger to succeed here. Blanc was accused of being racist based on comments he made, Velverde looks like he's retired. I see no fire in his belly anymore since his Barca debacle. I feel Cocu will do well here, we have almost the same profile just like Psv has in Dutch football.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2022
Barryseal:

Good research.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:34pm On Apr 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

he’s correct tho, anything that will make him come to the negotiating table with Nigeria, he’ll surely bill us reasonably.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2022
Barryseal:

Enrique is Catalonian, why didn't he take a paycut when coaching Barca? The fact remains club football is more rewarding then national team football, for both players and coaches.
Top 5 paid coaches at the last world cup where on €2.5-3.5M wages. Half of that gets us a "big name" .

For me, Philip Cocu interests me. Barca schooled, worked with PSV's U19s and graduated a host of the youngester with whom he won the Dutch league with +17 points and still they remain the backbone of the present Dutch national team speaking of Winjaldlum, Depay, De Jong.
His PSV team edged out the current rave of the moment Erik Ten Hag's Ajax for his 3rd Dutch championship in 5 season with PSV.

The most important thing is getting in the right person with the passion, drive and hunger to succeed here. Blanc was accused of being racist based on comments he made, Velverde looks like he's retired. I see no fire in his belly anymore since his Barca debacle. I feel Cocu will do well here, we have almost the same profile just like Psv has in Dutch football.
not sold on Cocu, strikes me like a ‘either my way or the Highway’ type of coach, I’m guessing that’s why he failed terribly at galatasary and QPR

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:44pm On Apr 12, 2022
Barryseal:

It is not every time we get to see an intelligent and well researched writ like this on this thread. Mr Barryseal, you have the seal of good thinking.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 3:25pm On Apr 12, 2022
jihday:
not sold on Cocu, strikes me like a ‘either my way or the Highway’ type of coach, I’m guessing that’s why he failed terribly at galatasary and QPR
If you look very well you will see he walked into a mad house at both Derby and Fernabache. Fernabache, were neck deep in financial crisis, with over $600M in debt. It was always going to be a tough job for a foreign guy to come in to salvage.

At Derby it was same issue. The club was up for sale and even him as a manager was involved in negotiations with 3 potential buyers. Without pre season,due covid and the financial challenge, the club started badly and he left.

I will judge him by his merits and records at PSV. He is renouned to be very smart and a great communicator with clear ideas. Barcelona looked seriously at getting him before opting for Valverde. The good thing is that he will come in hungry and determined to succeed to make a statement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2022
Meliforme:

It is not every time we get to see an intelligent and well researched writ like this on this thread. Mr Barryseal, you have the seal of good thinking.
My brother at times we come in here and do the business. No be everytime we dey do rofo rofo fight.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2022
Welcome to Naija

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 3:51pm On Apr 12, 2022
Whilst it is important the NFF gets it right in their pursuit of a new SE coach, the cadet level is where the main issue lies.

Our national teams have benefitted immensely from products of privately managed football academies with very little intervention from the Sports Ministry or the NFF.

The NFF should look in the direction of establishing an equivalent of the French Clairefountaine for elite talent amongst teenage footballers to ensure our best youngsters get elite level coaching very early.

A good number of our players still show deficiencies that could have been polished by better coaching at youth level. This rubs off on the SE in the long run.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mkrest(m): 3:51pm On Apr 12, 2022
Barryseal:

If you look very well you will see he walked into a mad house at both Derby and Fernabache. Fernabache, were neck deep in financial crisis, with over $600M in debt. It was always going to be a tough job for a foreign guy to come in to salvage.

At Derby it was same issue. The club was up for sale and even him as a manager was involved neck deep in negotiations with 3 potential buyers. Without pre season,due covid and the financial challenge, the club started badly and he left.

I will judge him by his merits and records at PSV. He is renouned to be very smart and a great communicator and his ideas are very clear. Barcelona looked seriously at getting him before opting for Valverde. The good thing is that he will come in here hungry and determined to succeed to make a statement.

Dude, it's nice to dream o
But the NFF I know will just opt for peseiro, who they already have an understanding with

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (13039) (13040) (13041) (13042) (13043) (13044) (13045) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, lbrichman2, sojious, Odunayaw(m), joelsteron, waffiboi, KpagoGIN(m), Posh(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.