Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11654693 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13608) (13609) (13610) (13611) (13612) (13613) (13614) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:47pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:
Pinnick's tenure as NFF president officially ends today!

How would y'all rate the man after 8 years in charge??
6/10, for the failures of our youth teams in 2019, for appointing a rookie and clueless Oliseh which inturn contributed to our inability to qualify for 2017 Afcon, also for bowing to pressure from the sport minister, selfish journalists and greedy exinternationals and fans who know nothing about football to fire Rohr at the time he did and appointed a largely uninspiring Eguavoen as the SE coach (I no go too blame for this one sha)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2022
do4luv14:

OK thanks, Now let's look at your point raised,

1 is off as I stated it above,

2, He started it, It's was the outbreak of covid, not to mention his prolong fight with Giwa,
Then you have Dalung, Along the line, how do you expect him to sustain the tempo, with a minister of sport who should had championed such things, against him

3, You can't blame him for going that part, Dalung refusing to release funds, and preparation needed to be made, you honestly can't

4. Afcon twice, I don't get it ooo, As for the worldcup, you me and everyone of us is responsible for us not qualifying, not Pinnick, Of we had not pulled his hand to sack Rohr, we won't be saying this

5. Those deals are in naira, and the players received their bodies in dollars, you do the maths

Will come back to 3,5 and 6 later

Your excuse for number 2 isn't very clear .Rephrase it ..
Number 3, I don't see what Dalung has to do with that. Uyo stadium was the best available stadium pitch in the country at that time and it served us well.. What was the need to move the super eagles away from there? It all started after the world cup qualifiers ended.. Port Harcourt,Asaba, Benin city and then Lagos.. Dalung left, Sunday Dare came in but the matter remained...

Number 4, we failed to qualify for the AFCON twice in 2015 and 2017.. Under his tenure .
Our failure to qualify for this year world cup is on the NFF not the fans... I will say it again, sacking Rohr wasn't and can never be a mistake .The mistake was with the timing of the sack .When it was obvious that the man wasn't heading in any direction,they should have laid him off..Instead they offered him a new contract and kept him until the last minute ..
Number 5, I suggest you do some research... Was Nike paying the NFF in naira too? What about money received from FIFA and CAF? Money for participating in friendlies?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 3:51pm On Sep 21, 2022
He won't turn us down. Stating that he can play for us through his grandparents on National media is a plea to us. We just need to call him up. Akpoguma captained their under 20 and played in a better team yet was not capped. Germany will never extend an invitation to him.
charlesemeka85:
and the nff shouldnt work hard in convincing him to play for us if he is really what jpes wants? At 23 he is yet to be capped by the Germans, a good pal of lorient’s hit man moffi, and been offered the opportunity to have a good international platform to showcase his talent with one of Africa’s most successful teams, so what made you think he will turn us down?

Even if he turns us down I see nothing wrong in reaching out to him again and who knows he may hv a change of heart much later and switch to us

Lookman is a good example

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:55pm On Sep 21, 2022
Subzero047:

Easy 9/10, we have played almost all the top 20 teams in the world in the world in friendlies, our preparation for the world cup and Afcon for the men and women were immaculate, he made the SE attractive to FB players, his achilles heel was appointment of coaches but despite that he is the best NFF president we have ever had

9/10? grin

I'd like to see Odunayaw rating too grin

PS: Remove the women team from your write up abeg .. .2016, 2018 and 2022 WAFCON,they didn't have any kind of preparation... 2016-2017, they didn't play any games and were without a coach because the NFF wanted to punish them for daring to protest over unpaid allowances after winning 2016 WAFCON...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:56pm On Sep 21, 2022
Joebie:
27 year old Dominic Iorfa in League 1. If he had chosen Nigeria back then it would have helped his career. We were in need of RBs at the time and he was a super regular in the Championship.
boss, can you compare Etebo’s season at galatasary vs alhassan 21/22 in Belgium then Ndidi last full season in Belgium against Onyedika’s 21/22. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2022
fabyom:
He won't turn us down. Stating that he can play for us through his grandparents on National media is a plea to us. We just need to call him up. Akpoguma captained their under 20 and played in a better team yet was not capped. Germany will never extend an invitation to him.
I believe if the prospects of playing for us is brought to him he won’t hesitate to to accept it

We hv good advantage because he is not in the radar of the German FA currently and wasn’t capped in any of their youth teams. Also he is pals with moffi and bonke at lorient before he left on loan to Celtic this summer. I think it won’t be a tough decision for him to make

Having another cb playing in the ucl will be a welcomed development. He already has two goals in the Scottish league and played against shaktar donesk and Madrid in the ucl this season

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2022
wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2022
I agree 100%. He's the kind of foreign born player we need to tie down. I believe if he feels he will be given a chance in the SE he would be keen. Coach JP and Moffi should run the thing low key.

charlesemeka85:
I believe if the prospects of playing for us is brought to him he won’t hesitate to to accept it

We hv good advantage because he is not in the radar of the German FA currently and wasn’t capped in any of their youth teams. Also he is pals with moffi and bonke at lorient before he left on loan to Celtic this summer. I think it won’t be a tough decision for him to make

Having another cb playing in the ucl will be a welcomed development. He already has two goals in the Scottish league and played against shaktar donesk and Madrid in the ucl this season

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:44pm On Sep 21, 2022
Our game against Algeria will be two legged..

First game on Friday against their CHAN team... Second game on Tuesday against their main team....

I don't see why we should play their CHAN team .. it will be embarrassing if we lose to them...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2022
FC Midtjylland goalkeeper Mark Ugboh has revealed his admiration for Bayern Munich and Germany star Manuel Neuer.

The 18-year-old committed his future to Midtjylland earlier this month, signing a five-year deal until June 30, 2027, and was permanently promoted to the first team.

A professional debut could be on the horizon for Ugboh considering that he has been included in seven matchday squads since the start of the season, including six in European competition.

A world champion with Germany in 2014, Neuer is widely regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world and has enjoyed a trophy-laden career at Bayern Munich, winning ten Bundesliga titles and five DFK Pokals as well as the Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup.

"My big idol is Manuel Neuer from Bayern Munich because he has so much quality. I like his confidence and leadership and he always plays well in the big games," Ugboh told FCM's official webpage.

"A lot of his saves are really good and that's something I look up to."

Ugboh has a lofty ambition, revealing that he wants to play in the English Premier League in the future.

FC Midtjylland academy graduate Frank Onyeka made the step up from The Wolves to Brentford in the summer of 2021.

"My dream is to play in the Premier League. People see it as the most competitive league in the world and I will fight everything I can to end up there one day," he added.

Last season, Ugboh posted five clean sheets in seven appearances in the U19 Boys League while conceding three goals.

He is the first African goalkeeper in the history of FC Midtjylland.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:

Number 3, I don't see what Dalung has to do with that. Uyo stadium was the best available stadium pitch in the country at that time and it served us well.. What was the need to move the super eagles away from there? It all started after the world cup qualifiers ended.. Port Harcourt,Asaba, Benin city and then Lagos.. Dalung left, Sunday Dare came in but the matter remained...

Number 4, we failed to qualify for the AFCON twice in 2015 and 2017.. Under his tenure .
Our failure to qualify for this year world cup is on the NFF not the fans... I will say it again, sacking Rohr wasn't and can never be a mistake .The mistake was with the timing of the sack .When it was obvious that the man wasn't heading in any direction,they should have laid him off..Instead they offered him a new contract and kept him until the last minute ..
Number 5, I suggest you do some research... Was Nike paying the NFF in naira too? What about money received from FIFA and CAF? Money for participating in friendlies?

Hmmm is all I can say now, maybe I will get back to you tomorrow about this, For now, I don't want to go into it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:59pm On Sep 21, 2022
Joebie:
Which is your top pick?
Modified
Even in Hungary, Esiti is not a regular.
Regulars only please that churn stats

Agboyi clubless since 2020

Luke Amos nor played since August.

My bro only Bright Osayi is a reasonable candidate to monitor

Ok we can start with Bright and when Luke.starts playing too. Are Oladoye and Rabiu not playing regularly?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:

My friend, shut up because you make no sense. The fans were responsible for that coach sack considering that he met all his targets, it was an unmerited sack and we were compensated with our worst ANC performance in 30 years/no World Cup. The team that eliminated us were in a worse predicament than us After ANC and they got the ticket

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:09pm On Sep 21, 2022
BannedLarge:

My friend, shut up because you make no sense. The fans were responsible for that coach sack considering that he met all his targets, it was an unmerited sack and we were compensated with our worst ANC performance in 30 years/no World Cup. The team that eliminated us were in a worse predicament than us After ANC and they got the ticket
your point is valid n top notch but no need for the insult na my guy angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2022
The biggest mistake pinnick made in his time in office was sacking rohr when he did. He would hv allowed him to go after the World Cup qualifiers

With rohr the team would hv gone far at the afcon and also qualified for the world cup

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:

9/10? grin

I'd like to see Odunayaw rating too grin

PS: Remove the women team from your write up abeg .. .2016, 2018 and 2022 WAFCON,they didn't have any kind of preparation... 2016-2017, they didn't play any games and were without a coach because the NFF wanted to punish them for daring to protest over unpaid allowances after winning 2016 WAFCON...
I have rated him already
Odunayaw:
6.5/10
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2022
BannedLarge:

Shut up yourself... His sack was merited.. The timing was the problem..
The team was on a downward spiral under him .We were losing to some stupid teams here and there and you think he would have qualified us for the world cup over Ghana?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:39pm On Sep 21, 2022
It's been almost a year since Rohr was sacked and none of the so called big teams have approached him for a coaching job... They told us that the likes of Algeria and Morocco were courting him...
BS!

Somebody who has been coaching for 4 decades now and no trophies to his name..

I'll repeat it for anyone that care to listen..Sacking him wasn't a mistake... The timing of the sack and the replacement gotten were the mistake...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:

Shut up yourself... His sack was merited.. The timing was the problem..
The team was on a downward spiral under him .We were losing to some stupid teams here and there and you think he would have qualified us for the world cup over Ghana?
yes I agree that his sack was merited but rohr would hv qualified the team ahead of ghana

That wouldn’t hv been achieved with pretty football knowing what was at stake. We all know Rohr’s conservative style would hv made the game more boring and rigid but tactically he would hv scrapped a win to qualify

Ghana wasn’t better but tactical their rookie coach was miles ahead of egu in both legs

Also against Tunisia at the last afcon the German would hv ousted the North Africans

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:44pm On Sep 21, 2022
Danielnino00:
It's been almost a year since Rohr was sacked and none of the so called big teams have approached him for a coaching job... They told us that the likes of Algeria and Morocco were courting him...
BS!

Somebody who has been coaching for 4 decades now and no trophies to his name..

I'll repeat it for anyone that care to listen..Sacking him wasn't a mistake... The timing of the sack and the replacement gotten were the mistake...
it’s wasn’t a mistake but the timing was wrong

He would hv been sacked after the 2019 afcon or after the World Cup qualifiers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Emmy450(m): 7:45pm On Sep 21, 2022
cheesy
andrewbaba44:

All managers will pick Haaland over Gabriel Jesus

Na pep no Dey like use number 9 ,he reach Haaland man begin use number 9 grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:47pm On Sep 21, 2022
andrewbaba44:

All managers will pick Haaland over Gabriel Jesus

Na pep no Dey like use number 9 ,he reach Haaland man begin use number 9 grin
haaland na proper and direct old fashioned number 9

Bobo na pure cyborg cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2022
No they are not

AndSunGorilla:

Ok we can start with Bright and when Luke.starts playing too. Are Oladoye and Rabiu not playing regularly?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:49pm On Sep 21, 2022
I had said we could go both routes
charlesemeka85:
and the nff shouldnt work hard in convincing him to play for us if he is really what jpes wants? At 23 he is yet to be capped by the Germans, a good pal of lorient’s hit man moffi, and been offered the opportunity to have a good international platform to showcase his talent with one of Africa’s most successful teams, so what made you think he will turn us down?

Even if he turns us down I see nothing wrong in reaching out to him again and who knows he may hv a change of heart much later and switch to us

Lookman is a good example

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 7:50pm On Sep 21, 2022
charlesemeka85:
it’s wasn’t a mistake but the timing was wrong

If would hv been sacked after the 2019 afcon or after the World Cup qualifiers
The timing was not wrong
Did you even watch that Cape Verde match
we were even lucky to get to the second round of the qualifications

Nothing would have changed if Rohr was still in charge during the Ghana match

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2022
He played 3 out of their last 5 games.

Who do u suggest for RB/RWB?

charlesemeka85:
osayi wey dey chop bench for fenebache?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2022
Joebie:
I had said we could go both routes
yea I knw, not sold out on the blackpool cb though Jenz isn’t much better than him but the factor why I prefer the latter is that he is just 23 and has the tendency to get better. Playing for a club like Celtic in the ucl/uel is a good platform to form a better player of his age

Also he has played in the Swiss and French top tier so their is room for more improvement in his game and at the right of 23 it’s possible that he will get better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Sep 21, 2022
Will do later today
jihday:
boss, can you compare Etebo’s season at galatasary vs alhassan 21/22 in Belgium then Ndidi last full season in Belgium against Onyedika’s 21/22. Thanks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Sep 21, 2022
We need CB options. Let’s have them and pick our best.

Modified
If Ajayi is good enough, Ekpiteta probably is.
We want even better CBs. But we have to try the available.

This is Ajayi(green) vs Marvin(blue)
Very similar players in completeness. The latter has the 7 point edge in defensive stats.

charlesemeka85:
yea I knw, not sold out on the blackpool cb though Jenz isn’t much better than him but the factor why I prefer the latter is that he is just 23 and has the tendency to get better. Playing for Celtic in the ucl/uel is a good platform to form a better player of his age

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:57pm On Sep 21, 2022
Samueltemi337:
The timing was not wrong
Did you even watch that Cape Verde match
we were even lucky to get to the second round of the qualifications

Nothing would have changed if Rohr was still in charge during the Ghana match

yea you are right but the main points here is that he would hv taken the team farther than egu did and qualify the team for the World Cup with unpleasant conservative style
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:57pm On Sep 21, 2022
Joebie:

Yea
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2022
Joebie:

Modified
If Ajayi is good enough, Ekpiteta probably is.
We want even better CBs. But we have to try the available.

This is Ajayi(green) vs Marvin(blue)
Very similar players in completeness. The latter has the 7 point edge in defensive stats.

hmmmmm

(1) (2) (3) ... (13608) (13609) (13610) (13611) (13612) (13613) (13614) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), maidaboi(m), elyte89, TheSuperNerd(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.