Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,677 members, 7,865,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 01:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11960091 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:21am On Oct 10, 2016
Although, I didn't have the opportunity to see the first half but I was able to see 40 minutes before the end of the second half.

I think we have dwelt much on the first eleven without considering their replacement in case of any eventuality.

First of all, I noticed the defence could not withstand countless waves of attacks. Especially from the wing backs.

It seems we depend too much on Mikel Obi and Onazi in the midfield.

I don't understand why our coaches don't like doing the right thing.

Why use a defender/defensive midfield as a wing back when we have Brain Idowu and Tyrone Ebuechi who plays regularly for their teams?

Moses Odubanjo and Ola Aina dey dere too but dem go wan squeeze dem players into the team.

I think it is high time we look for credible left back too. Elderson Echiejile seems to be another weak link at the back.

Taye Taiwo still plays better than all the players tested so far and he is the only left back playing regularly. But he must be tried in a friendly before the qualifiers.

Kenneth Otigba must be called.

Who can replace/substitute Iheanacho and Iwobi should be the next thing a reasonable coach should think of.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:21am On Oct 10, 2016
Mickael2:

you do remember that Silva plays as a wide man for Spain and he provides width there, the guy can play as a true winger so he keeps the width, I am glad you noticed that Iwobi wasn't providing width as much as we needed. Now we are not just talking about a headless winger, we are talking about a winger that is not just dangerous but can keep possession too, Victor Moses plays as an AMF for chelsea these days and his slick combination play with Costa was beautiful, I think he can do thesame cutting in from the wing

V. Moses can play as an AMF, but his style is different from the possessive play. When Spain plays the likes of Isco, Silva, Iniesta or Sarabia on the wings, they do not play like Overmars or Tijani.

The play a coordinated passing style of play. That is what he is pointing out with a player like Nwobodo combining with Mikel, Iheanacho, and Iwobi in midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:26am On Oct 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

V. Moses can play as an AMF, but his style is different from the possessive play. When Spain plays the likes of Isco, Silva, Iniesta or Sarabia on the wings, they do not play like Overmars or Tijani.

The play a coordinated passing style of play. That is what he is pointing out with a player like Nwobodo combining with Mikel, Iheanacho, and Iwobi in midfield.

Yes, he is not tasked with possessive play hence he doesn't use it. I thought we were talking about a player that can play one touch football with Iheanacho and the likes? Not a possessive style so to sau, so when you talk about one two touches, Moses can do it while also driving straight at defenders hence I'd pick him over another true midfielder, don't forget that this is Africa anyways, European football is different
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29am On Oct 10, 2016
Mickael2:

Yes, he is not tasked with possessive play hence he doesn't use it. I thought we were talking about a player that can play one touch football with Iheanacho and the likes? Not a possessive style so to sau, so when you talk about one two touches, Moses can do it while also driving straight at defenders hence I'd pick him over another true midfielder, don't forget that this is Africa anyways, European football is different

The possessive style I am talking about is a team that keeps large possession after the game. This is done by the one two combinative touches. Just like Barcelona do. Nwobodo suits that kind of play. In the game against Zambia, that was our strength.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:33am On Oct 10, 2016
Go and watch the first half for yourself so that your Analysis will be better shaped.

And yeah.... We need quality reinforcements in both fullback roles.

I have always been crying this out since time immemorial. Our focus in luring the foreign born talents we have and other uncapped players should be primarily on "Quality Defensive Reinforcements" like Odubajo, Ehizibue, Ebuehi, Aina, Adarabioyo, Kigbu, Iorfa Jnr, etc.... We can get two or three of them.

Abeg... We need "more" in defence esp. at Fullback roles. NO BE TODAY I START TO DEY TALK AM.

forgiveness:
Although, I didn't have the opportunity to see the first half but I was able to see 40 minutes before the end of the second half.

I think we have dwelt much on the first eleven without considering their replacement in case of any eventuality.

First of all, I noticed the defence could not withstand countless waves of attacks. Especially from the wing backs.

Why use a defender/defensive midfield as a wing back when we have Brain Idowu and Tyrone Ebuechi who plays regularly for their teams?

Moses Odubanjo and Ola Aina dey dere too but dem go wan squeeze dem players into the team.

I think it is high time we look for credible left back too. Elderson Echiejile seems to be another weak link at the back.

Taye Taiwo still plays better than all the players tested so far and he is the only left back playing regularly. But he must be tried in a friendly before the qualifiers.

Who can replace/substitute Iheanacho and Iwobi should be the next thing a reasonable coach should think of.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2016
joseph1013:

Ah...you can lie o. Most of the Zambian attack came from Echiejile? Haba. Did you watch the match?

Ndidi that was being beaten to the point that he started falling kept Kalaba in position? LOL If not that Kalaba has poor delivery, we would have been roasted. Imagine Mahrez roasting Ndidi like that. You go hear am.

Honestly with what i watched yesterday,Ndidi got it wronged from d onset and it only took me 5 mins to know that this guy lack d ability to be a good fullback.Echieje has been one of d liabilities of d super eagle defense from d onset except for afcon 2013,despite his experience,he is still playing like a kid and for God sake is d most experience eagles defender but we don't see it in him.Rohr needs to sort things out with d RB and LB.On omeruo,using him as a CB w be a disaster for d team.He should be push back to RB which was his original position,chelsea signed him as RB,also Onazi should be considered coz i remembered a match where Onazi was drafted to a LB when keshi was not satisfied with Echieje and Raheem Lawal took Onazi position and did it better than Onazi with good positioning play and good linked with defense and attacks.Rohr should consider Ransome Madu and Oshaniwa for LB and not forgetting this ibo boy who captained Germany u20 at 2013 WC for RB.The CB combination of Ekong and Balogun d best for now bcs it was combination of intelligent and power.The midfield and attack looks okay bcs a team with Mikel,Iheanacho ,Iwobi,Vic moses,Musa,ighalo,success,etebor,ideye and kids on d block Awoniyi and Osamihien,sky is d limit.Kudos to Carl Ikeme.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:41am On Oct 10, 2016
I agree. I absolutely agree. It's just that his primary duty was as a right back yesterday and based on that, he was our weakest link especially in the second half.

Ndidi just did best... I know Rohr have seen what he wants to see with the risk he took. The Algeria game will see an even better Super Eagles in defence. Our technical bench will see to that.

TheGoodJoe:

That is why I earlier pointed that I look at overall contributions and not only errors. If any wants to give Ndidi low marks, it is okay because people have their opinions. Some coaches like Mourinho or Westerhof can bench a player doing well because of an error.

Some like Wenger and Guardiola will praise the work put in by the player.

The critique of Ndidi is that he was skinned. Apart from that, positioning, he did well. Interceptions, he did well. He did not misplace much passes. Helped in build-up play. Supported the central defence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:47am On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

My brother, take a bottle of beer.

Taiwo and Oshaniwa should be ahead of Echejile, Taiwo is playing in the finnish league I know, but he has been consistent atleast, their top scorer for that matter, I don't know why he is benched for Echejile a bench warmer.

We don't really depend on Mikel on Onazi, Mikel maybe but we have credible replacements for Onazi. Ndidi, Azubuike, Ogu and Esiti can all play there, Iwobi can easily replace Mikel and make way for a true winger. We only have a shortage of supply when it comes to defenders. You are saying that Otigba should be invited but to replace who? You can only invite 23-26 players and you can only have room for 4 CBs, we have Leon, Omeruo, Ekong and Awaziem then two RBs and LBs, that makes it a total of 8 already so we can't invite everybody. We have quality backup for our midfielders and strikers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
I agree. I absolutely agree. It's just that his primary duty was as a right back yesterday and based on that, he was our weakest link especially in the second half.

Ndidi just did best... I know Rohr have seen what he wants to see with the risk he took. The Algeria game will see an even better Super Eagles in defence. Our technical bench will see to that.

Joe my guy i always respect u for being good analysis but on Ndidi performance yesterday,i beg to differs.The guy got it wronged and i told a guy sitting beside what a hell is this bcs d guy was too amateurish in his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:00am On Oct 10, 2016
A few comments:
1. The coach impressed me with his game management. This is typical of Germans. The super eagles were not running around like headless chickens and were purposeful in defence and attack.I saw the coach constantly wave on Moses Simon to drive in rather than cross in when his crosses werent finding Ideye.
2. Iheanacho and Iwobi can take us to Russia.
3. We are in a very enviable position. If we can win our upcoming 2 home games, then we are almost guaranteed to qualify. We will have 9 points, and at least 5 points above our major rivals.
4. We need a striker to compliment our attacking midfield. I will not shy away from using Osimhen as back up to Ighalo.
5. I watched Algeria's match fully and they are a very attacking side. Mahrez was having a very good match and it was Cameroonian keeper who saved the day. We cannot afford to have weak wing backs against Algeria. I think Musa Mohammed should come in.
6. Algerian midfield was quite weak and I see us having plenty joy in the midfield, provided Onazi is disciplined.

Overall, I think our group may actually be easier than I initially feared, provided we win our home matches.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:02am On Oct 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Go and watch the first half for yourself so that your Analysis will be better shaped.

And yeah.... We need quality reinforcements in both fullback roles.

I have always been crying this out since time immemorial. Our focus in luring the foreign born talents we have and other uncapped players should be primarily on "Quality Defensive Reinforcements" like Odubajo, Ehizibue, Ebuehi, Aina, Adarabioyo, Kigbu, Iorfa Jnr, etc.... We can get two or three of them.

Abeg... We need "more" in defence esp. at Fullback roles. NO BE TODAY I START TO DEY TALK AM.

First half and second half na still part of the game. If you like play like Barcelona for first half but come play like Dundee United for second half, na still d same game.

Besides, I didn't criticise the game, I am talking about why dey played badly in the second half and the need for credible replacement.

Remove Kingsley Ehizibue and Kigbu from the list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2016
Kog45:
Joe my guy i always respect u for being good analysis but on Ndidi performance yesterday,i beg to differs.The guy got it wronged and i told a guy sitting beside what a hell is this bcs d guy was too amateurish in his game.

I will still repeat. Ndidi was awful in one on one duels. What else did he get wrong? Definitely not positioning. He contributed to the team in other ways like build up plays.

I did not say he was awesome but he was not the worst. Echiejile left us exposed at the back many times.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 1:03pm On Oct 10, 2016
undecided

I do not understand why a Particular Moniker is trying hard to defend the Flops of the Match.

Ndidi is a fantastic Player - a very good DMF, but he failed woefully as a RB. I can't really blame the Coach for playing him there, seems he thought with his CB Experience, he would fair better.

I saw a proposed Lineup, and I couldn't stop laughing. Onazi as LB?! LOL! Thank God that the Eagles is done with local Technical Adviser.

We need to play Musa Muhammad as the Team's RB henceforth. Someone is craving for Experience, but he forget we got the Goals from the inexperienced Kids in the Team.

I implore the Advocate of Omeruo to watch his last Match he played for his Club, they lost the Match disgracefully because of his fatal Errors.

I will rather play Musa/Shehu - Balogun - Ekong - Taiwo/Oshanjwa in the defence line.

Mikel and Onazi still remains the best Pivot for the Team's Midfield. I think we should stick to it, cos they ain't doing bad. Then we should have Esiti, Ndidi even Kelechi Nwakali as Backups.

I will pick S. Moses over V. Moses and Ahmed Musa as the Team's RM any day any time. Though he's not as good as V. Moses, but he's more committed to the Team than him, and better than Ahmed Musa with Ball on his Feet.

Iwobi is a fantastic discovery, a rare Gem, he should maintain the LM position. While Iheanacho should maintain his AM Role. The Trio are skillful, talented and can comfortably switch Positions without distorting the Team's Rhythm, rather make it hard for the Opponent to contain them.

Upfront - we've been let down by our present Strikers. However, I would suggest Isaac Success to lead the Line! He's strong and pacy, he's also terrific when he's in form.

Meanwhile..... we can't invite all to the Camp of the Super Eagles. We should stick with the present Squad, so that they would be able to gel-up well and become a Force to reckon with and a Team to fear beyond the Africa Continent.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 2:14pm On Oct 10, 2016
I wonder why someone keep saying Ndidi was fantastic, do you know hw many times kalaba drive into our 18yard box, I kept defending guy where I was watching tell whoever care to hear that the is a dm not a RB. And for Omeruo, he should be kept far from the 18yard box right full back will be better if not Nigeria will always concede from his error.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 2:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
Its Funny how people are suggesting Nwobodo who Is a deep-lying Playmaker should be used as a winger. Its like saying Pirlo or a Regista like Busquets should play as a winger.
This a Youtube Video of him.
[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw89rh_cVqI][/url]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
zicky:
I wonder why someone keep saying Ndidi was fantastic, do you know hw many times kalaba drive into our 18yard box, I kept defending guy where I was watching tell whoever care to hear that the is a dm not a RB. And for Omeruo, he should be kept far from the 18yard box right full back will be better if not Nigeria will always concede from his error.

I wonder how someone can not read when I wrote, "Ndidi was awful in one on one duels." It is painful repeating the exact same thing and then you come up with the above.

Please, the debate is, who was the worst player. If I am saying Ndidi is not the worst. How can that be that he was fantastic?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

You are correct about the analysis you gave but , I think Ogeyi Onazi lead to that pressure , he was enjoying the party in front (tiki-takes ) between Iwobi , iheanacho and Mikel , he came to join them and he exposed the back line to unecessary pressure , I think Onazi should be discipline and must play to instructions . As time goes on the team will get better , Leon will join them , I really pity oboabona , his days are numbered .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
We need to focus on our next match only, we can't be looking too far down the road. Our players must keep getting better with their clubs. That means forcing their way into starting 11's and playing the biggest matches. I just loved how nothing the Zambian fans did could faze our boys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
Mickael2:

My brother, take a bottle of beer.

Taiwo and Oshaniwa should be ahead of Echejile, Taiwo is playing in the finnish league I know, but he has been consistent atleast, their top scorer for that matter, I don't know why he is benched for Echejile a bench warmer.

We don't really depend on Mikel on Onazi, Mikel maybe but we have credible replacements for Onazi. Ndidi, Azubuike, Ogu and Esiti can all play there, Iwobi can easily replace Mikel and make way for a true winger. We only have a shortage of supply when it comes to defenders. You are saying that Otigba should be invited but to replace who? You can only invite 23-26 players and you can only have room for 4 CBs, we have Leon, Omeruo, Ekong and Awaziem then two RBs and LBs, that makes it a total of 8 already so we can't invite everybody. We have quality backup for our midfielders and strikers

grin Hehehe! Beer! Sorry, God don deliver me from beer since 2001. grin

Anyway, I don't agree Oshaniwa is ahead of Echiejile now because Oshaniwa has not played a single game since August while Echiejile is still playing some games.

I think both Taiwo and Echiejile are good for the National team.

Remove Mikel and Onazi from that team and the midfield will collapse.

We saw it against France when Onazi was substituted and we also saw it against Tanzania when Mikel was substituted.

We need central midfielders in the mold of Mikel and Onazi but I don't think Ndidi and Azubuike are natural central midfielders.

Esiti and Ogu must be tried and tested in a friendly.

Iwobi is not a central midfielder. he is either a winger or an attacking midfielder.

Kenneth Otigba can replace Jamiu Alimi.

Awaziem is not qualified to play in the National team as at now because he has been demoted to Porto's second team.

We need first team with regular playing time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
lexyman:

You are correct about the analysis you gave but , I think Ogeyi Onazi lead to that pressure , he was enjoying the party in front (tiki-takes ) between Iwobi , iheanacho and Mikel , he came to join them and he exposed the back line to unecessary pressure , I think Onazi should be discipline and must play to instructions . As time goes on the team will get better , Leon will join them , I really pity oboabona , his days are numbered .

Onazi was sent forward thats why we brought on Esiti. Onazi pressed higher and as a result we won balls before they could cross the center line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
princesuko:
Its Funny how people are suggesting Nwobodo who Is a deep-lying Playmaker should be used as a winger. Its like saying Pirlo or a Regista like Busquets should play as a winger.
[url=

That was before Obinna Nwobodo joined Rangers. He plays a more creative role now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2016
hello everyone smiley first of thank God for the moral boosting away win didn't get to watch the match live (nepa things) but watched the full game later on here are my observations.

men nigeria is extremely blessed to have two supremely talented youngsters in iwobi and iheanacho. the fact that they can get better must be terrifying to our opponents right now. iwobi oozed class. did you see his pass to ideye that was ruled offside? dude has vision abeg. he took his goal well too nice volley. anytime he was on the ball near the zambians 18 he always looked a threat. only aspect of his game he needs to really work on is tracking back to help his fullback defend. to be fair he did try to help elderson a couple of times but he wasn't consistent enough. you will notice were under pressure on that wing in the middle of the second half before musa come on and pegged the zambian fullback back.

iheanacho men that boy is stone cold. ice water must run through his veins. the way he took out mweene and still have the presence of mind to calmly pick his spot with three onrushing zambian defenders was out of this world almost ALIEN like (abi supernerd wink) his vision is not too shabby either. did you see his lofted ball to ideye in the second half? pity ideye could not make the best of it and mikel's shot of that chance couldn't go in.

not too surprised by ideye's performance. his sharpness in front of goal isn't exactly earth shattering but what i always appreciate about him is his dynamism and movement which creates space for other attackers to strike.

simon moses really needs to work on his decision making. several times he was in good attacking positions but he failed to optimally use such opportunities.

don't have too many complaints about our midfield. mikel was a real generalisimmo. onazi was more disciplined but was caught out a few times especially in the first half. anderson esiti looked good too impressed with the way he helped to snuff out the life out of the zambian attack when he came on. him and ndidi should push onazi for that dmf spot.

the fullbacks really worried me. ndidi even though he tried his best was out of his element in this makeshift role for him. echejiele wasn't much better. the zambians exploited his wing to the fullest thankfully ekong, omeruo and ikeme were always there to clear his mess. the CB pairing of ekong and omeruo did very well. pity the latter's error which gifted zambia their only goal overshadowed his good performance. ikeme was imperious. he's fast making us forget enyeama

thumbs up to rohr was quick to make changes when necessary but if i'm being hyper critical his fielding of ndidi in the RB role was a risk we luckily got away with.

unto algeria next and we really have to press home our advantage and win that match. oshaniwa plus any other capable LB should be invited ASAP to give elderson serious competition if not even benching him because i don't trust echejiele against the algerians. if musa or shehu can't man the RB and we have to draft in a makeshift RB then i prefer omeruo or even onazi man that area. both have played that role before and done credibility. i know a lot of analysts here are pushing for balogun to play RB but his lack of pace for me doesn't make him suited to that role. CB is where he's best at and where he belongs.

on the issue of victor moses and success the NFF should handle the matter carefully. you don't use decapitation to cure headache. for now the purported fake withdrawal by the duo is just a mere rumour. even if there are elements of truth to the whole matter i think leniency would be required. like a poster suggested let the technical crew led by rohr have the final say on future invitations for the duo after due consultations and discussions with both of them.

all hands should be on deck to give super eagles maximum support.

p.s hope we play our matches in PH and uyo and not kaduna o!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2016
john ogu can deputized for mikel. do you remember our friendly games against mexico and south africa before the last world cup? ogu featured prominently in absence of mikel and he did a more than decent job. raheem lawal, ndidi, azubuike, esiti etc can comfortably replace onazi

forgiveness:

grin Hehehe! Beer! Sorry, God don deliver me from beer since 2001. grin

Anyway, I don't agree Oshaniwa is ahead of Echiejile now because Oshaniwa has not played a single game since August while Echiejile is still playing some games.

I think both Taiwo and Echiejile are good for the National team.

Remove Mikel and Onazi from that team and the midfield will collapse.

We saw it against France when Onazi was substituted and we also saw it against Tanzania when Mikel was substituted.

We need central midfielders in the mold of Mikel and Onazi but I don't think Ndidi and Azubuike are natural central midfielders.

Esiti and Ogu must be tried and tested in a friendly.

Iwobi is not a central midfielder. he is either a winger or an attacking midfielder.

Kenneth Otigba can replace Jamiu Alimi.

Awaziem is not qualified to play in the National team as at now because he has been demoted to Porto's second team.

We need first team with regular playing time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
chrisooblog:
hello everyone smiley first of thank God for the moral boosting away win didn't get to watch the match live (nepa things) but watched the full game later on here are my observations.

men nigeria is extremely blessed to have two supremely talented youngsters in iwobi and iheanacho. the fact that they can get better must be terrifying to our opponents right now. iwobi oozed class. did you see his pass to ideye that was ruled offside? dude has vision abeg. he took his goal well too nice volley. anytime he was on the ball near the zambians 18 he always looked a threat. only aspect of his game he needs to really work on is tracking back to help his fullback defend. to be fair he did try to help elderson a couple of times but he wasn't consistent enough. you will notice were under pressure on that wing in the middle of the second half before musa come on and pegged the zambian fullback back.

iheanacho men that boy is stone cold. ice water must run through his veins. the way he took out mweene and still have the presence of mind to calmly pick his spot with three onrushing zambian defenders was out of this world almost ALIEN like (abi supernerd wink) his vision is not too shabby either. did you see his lofted ball to ideye in the second half? pity ideye could not make the best of it and mikel's shot of that chance couldn't go in.

not too surprised by ideye's performance. his sharpness in front of goal isn't exactly earth shattering but what i always appreciate about him is his dynamism and movement which creates space for other attackers to strike.

simon moses really needs to work on his decision making. several times he was in good attacking positions but he failed to optimally use such opportunities.

don't have too many complaints about our midfield. mikel was a real generalisimmo. onazi was more disciplined but was caught out a few times especially in the first half. anderson esiti looked good too impressed with the way he helped to snuff out the life out of the zambian attack when he came on. him and ndidi should push onazi for that dmf spot.

the fullbacks really worried me. ndidi even though he tried his best was out of his element in this makeshift role for him. echejiele wasn't much better. the zambians exploited his wing to the fullest thankfully ekong, omeruo and ikeme were always there to clear his mess. the CB pairing of ekong and omeruo did very well. pity the latter's error which gifted zambia their only goal overshadowed his good performance. ikeme was imperious. he's fast making us forget enyeama

thumbs up to rohr was quick to make changes when necessary but if i'm being hyper critical his fielding of ndidi in the RB role was a risk we luckily got away with.

unto algeria next and we really have to press home our advantage and win that match. oshaniwa plus any other capable LB should be invited ASAP to give elderson serious competition if not even benching him because i don't trust echejiele against the algerians. if musa or shehu can't man the RB and we have to draft in a makeshift RB then i prefer omeruo or even onazi man that area. both have played that role before and done credibility. i know a lot of analysts here are pushing for balogun to play RB but his lack of pace for me doesn't make him suited to that role. CB is where he's best at and where he belongs.

on the issue of victor moses and success the NFF should handle the matter carefully. you don't use decapitation to cure headache. for now the purported fake withdrawal by the duo is just a mere rumour. even if there are elements of truth to the whole matter i think leniency would be required. like a poster suggested let the technical crew led by rohr have the final say on future invitations for the duo after due consultations and discussions with both of them.

p.s hope we play our matches in PH and uyo and not calabar o!

Impressive, brilliant and educating. Enjoyed every bit of it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

That was before Obinna Nwobodo joined Rangers. He plays a more creative role now.

That still doesn't mean we shoe-horn him into the wings when we have Better Options.

1. If Ighalo is Available he Starts though his Link-up play is Top Notch.
2. Any of The Moses Will do.
3. I dont see Mikel getting benched but he isnt getting required minutes to stay match fit for Club.
4. Onazi has Merrited a starting Place.
5. Ndidi haven't seen much of him apart from that Game yesterday so can't say much.
6. Wouldn't bench Ikeme even if Enyeama was available on Current Form.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
princesuko:

That still doesn't mean we shoe-horn him into the wings when we have Better Options.

1. If Ighalo is Available he Starts though his Link-up play is Top Notch.
2. Any of The Moses Will do.
3. I dont see Mikel getting benched but he isnt getting required minutes to stay match fit for Club.
4. Onazi has Merrited a starting Place.
5. Ndidi haven't seen much of him apart from that Game yesterday so can't say much.
6. Wouldn't bench Ikeme even if Enyeama was available on Current Form.

As long as Mikel trains everyday with his club, he is good to go. What we are talking about is relying more on moving the ball with passes. Onazi and Mikel can play comfortably in the middle. Iwobi, Iheanacho and Nwobodo can form a deadly forward passing trident behind who ever strikes.

It is a good option. It would have worked in the game yesterday where we needed to pass more that run with the ball. If we are playing a possession style, Nwobodo is more suited. If we want to run at the full backs, V. Moses, S. Moses and Musa suits more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:56pm On Oct 10, 2016
you are too kind boss cool

how do you reckon we line out against the algerians?

TheGoodJoe:

Impressive, brilliant and educating. Enjoyed every bit of it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2016
I Just love this analysis. Summarises the whole "major" points raised. smiley

@Bolded1... Abi ooo Oga mi.... grin heheheheehee... Cityzens Fans on Bluemoon forum call him Kelechi "IceMan" wink

I call him "The Alien Kid" grin

That goal shows that indeed he's a badass ice-cold assasin in front of goal. Fearless and always composed.

@Bolded2... Honestly, Ikeme is threatening to turn me into an Amnesiac as regards the existence of Enyeama's legend as Africa's best and finest Goalie in this era and for the past decade or so... IKEME IS WORLD CLASS. YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK ANYWHERE IN THE GALAXY... smiley

chrisooblog:

p.s hope we play our matches in PH and uyo and not calabar o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2016
princesuko:
[url=

grin

Are you really surprised or just kidding?! LOL! I think you didn't see the one asking for Etebo to be leading the striking Line and Onazi to be deployed against Mahrez as a LB?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:04pm On Oct 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Why Genk Star Ndidi Got The Nod To Start Against Zambia, Rohr Explains[/size]

The decision to start Wilfred Ndidi ahead of Musa Mohammed has generated debates in Nigeria especially as he was preferred ahead of Shehu Abdullahi who has also played as a right back for the Eagles.

Ndidi who is predominantly a central defender during his days with the various arms of Nigeria Youth teams, the Under-17 and 20s precisely have been converted to a defensive midfielder by his Belgian side.

Playing him as a right full back in an important game like the World Cup qualifiers between Nigeria and Zambia caused a lot of concerns for football loving Nigerians.

However shortly after the 2-1 victory we gathered that, Rohr went for Ndidi ahead of Musa and Shehu due to his marking abilities as opposed to the attack minded duo who have played in the position in the past.

Nigeria needed to keep things tight at the back and, Rohr noticed Ndidi marks better and doesn’t give out fouls around the edge of the box than most defenders in the team.

Aside that his aerial abilities in defending set piece in training won Rohr over, as the manager drilled his defenders on how to defend set piece from which they expect Zambia to threaten prior to the game.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/10/why-genk-star-ndidi-got-the-nod-to-start-against-zambia-rohr-explains/[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:05pm On Oct 10, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Not Igiebor, Rohr List Players Who Are Keeping Ogu Out Of Super Eagles[/size]

Head coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr has corrected impressions in the media that Nosa Igiebor is keeping inform Super Eagles midfielder John Ogu out of the team.

Rohr also clarified what he meant when he said he has players in his team who are better than the Hapoel Be’er Sheva midfield anchorman in his team.

” The issue has been blown out of proportion, we presently have players who can play more than one role for the team in his position” He told Owngoalnigeria.com correspondent.

” We have Wilfred Ndidi who can play in more than three roles, there’s Shehu Abdullahi as well who can play two roles. Ogenyi Onazi is in the team as well.

” If we listen to the media, we will call almost everybody involved in football to the national team. We have our own ways of calling players to the team and good players will always be called up in due time”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/10/stop-press-not-igiebor-rohr-list-players-who-are-keeping-ogu-out-of-super-eagles/[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:07pm On Oct 10, 2016
Oasis007:

grin

Are you really surprised or just kidding?! LOL! I think you didn't see the one asking for Etebo to be leading the striking and Onazi to be deployed against Mahrez as a LB?!

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: semid4lyfe(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.