Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,651 members, 7,865,610 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:41 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11959039 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

So, what experience did Iwobi acquired prior to this match?

Iwobi was part of the intial U23 set up.

Iwobi debuted in a Friendly against Congo.
Iwobi played in the friendly against Cameroun
Iwobi played thw away game against Swaziland at the first stage of the WCQ.
Iwobi featured in the double header against Egypt.

Notice that he struggled in those early games but thank God they were friendlies and weak WCQ opponents.

See, one thing u must understand is the Super Eagles team has started taking shape.
We have gone past that stage of all comers affair.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

I never said I prefered Omeruo over Balogun. My point was Balogun being out of the game is nt much of a problem bc Omeruo is up to the task.

Well, that is what I remember but if you feel Balogun is better, then that is your opinion.

My point is that, I was into Balogun and I received the usual attack for saying Balogun is a ball playing defender.

Now I said when fit, I prefer Omeruo. That shows I am not sentimental.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:13pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

I just asked you a question. What makes it the worst team after 8 games?

Please, tell us how many times he has been benched in recent games?

Tell us how many games Roda fc played without Ajagun?

I need facts.

Lol, right now, they are the worst. If the great Ajagun leads them to better form, we will consider him for the Eagles.

Roda has scored only 3 goal in 8 games. How is Ajagun going to be creating for the Eagles when he is not creating at club level.

Not playing in Chelsea is different from not playing in Roda jc. Mikel will walk into the starting 11 of most EPL teams. Ajagun would not.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Does that make him qualified to start as RB against Algeria?

Does Musa Mohammed statistics qualified him to be Nigeria's no 1 RB?

Does Ndidi statistics qualifies him to play at the RB for the first time in his whole career for the national team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Notice that he struggled in those early games but thank God they were friendlies and weak WCQ opponents.

See, one thing u must understand is the Super Eagles team has started taking shape.

How?

By been used as practising material? grin

Please, tell me how many matches he played?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:20pm On Oct 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

Lol, right now, they are the worst. If the great Ajagun leads them to better form, we will consider him for the Eagles.

Roda has scored only 3 goal in 8 games. How is Ajagun going to be creating for the Eagles when he is not creating at club level.

Not playing in Chelsea is different from not playing in Roda jc. Mikel will walk into the starting 11 of most EPL teams. Ajagun would not.

You have not showed me any fact and you have not established your claims that Ajagun was bench in recent 'games'.

Please, prove that one first. Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:20pm On Oct 10, 2016
zuchyblink:
Rohr should Unleash these XI against Algeria
/
...................----------IKEME-------------------------
/
BALOGUN---OMERUO----EKONG------ONAZI
/
----------------------ESITI--------------------------
/
-------------MIKEL----------------------------------
/
NWOBODO-------IHEANACHO----------IWOBI
/
--------------------ETEBOR------------------------
/
I go for Etebor(the beast) over Ighalo and Ideye

Is the Algeria game not the next game?TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:21pm On Oct 10, 2016
Well said Sir Basco... smiley

Another Stat is Of the four goals he's scored so far, three are match winners. wink

I anticipate his first brace and hattrick for the Super Eagles.

BascoVanVeli:

Can u imagine? In England they would have been talking about this all thru the build up to the match. Anyhow sha i knew he was gaining on a record let us hope it continues, here another start Nigeria has won all matches that Iheanacho has scored a goal in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:22pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

How?

By been used as practising material? grin

Please, tell me how many matches he played?

At least you saw the least of matches that I listed. You can count since u want to know the number. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:23pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

As you can see, Iwobi started from somewhere. He was given the chance to prove himself.

Iwobi didn't struggle in his first match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:24pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

You have not showed me any fact and you have not established your claims that Ajagun was bench in recent 'games'.

Please, prove that one first. Thanks.

He did not start the last game.

Doesn't the fact that he has started most games make his case worse. He is a creative midfielder in a team that has scored only 3 goals in 8 games..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

At least you saw the least of matches that I listed. You can count since u want to know the number. grin

Iwobi never struggled in those matches. Chikena!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

Does Musa Mohammed statistics qualified him to be Nigeria's no 1 RB?

Does Ndidi statistics qualifies him to play at the RB for the first time in his whole career for the national team?

I think I was one of those that first raised the alarm of starting Musa Mohammed against Zambia.

If you read through the last 2 pages u'll see Rohr's explanation for starting Ndidi ahead of Shehu and Mohammed.

All those names u are mentioning i dnt think they are part of the plans for the Algeria game.

Either of Balogun and Omeruo would likely play RB in our next match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

Iwobi never struggled in those matches. Chikena!

I also forgot to add the Mali and Luxembourge friendlies.

Did you watch Iwobi's first international game against Swaziland?

Iwobi's game has greatly improved. Can u compare his performances yesterday with his performances again DRC and Cameroun in those friendlies?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

I disagree with the 'he struggled' part... I believe that Iwobi and Kelechi should have started the Egypt away game. It was a risk worth taking.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:32pm On Oct 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

I disagree with the 'he struggled' part... I believe that Iwobi and Kelechi should have started the Egypt away game. It was a risk worth taking.

How did Iwobi fair in the friendlies against Congo DR and Cameroun? And even the Swaziland game. He has improved. That is my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
Icon4s:

How did Iwobi fair in the friendlies against Congo DR and Cameroun? And even the Swaziland game. He has improved. That is my point.

He has improved greatly, certainly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

He has improved greatly, certainly.

That is exactly my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
tbaba1234:

He did not start the last game.

Doesn't the fact that he has started most games make his case worse. He is a creative midfielder in a team that has scored only 3 goals in 8 games..

Prove one before moving to another.

You said he has not started in 'recent games' but now you are telling us about just 1 game. grin Is that not exaggeration?

Let me help u. Ajagun only missed one game due to the red card he received.

Ajagun played as a central midfielder recently for Roda fc. He only played in the attacking midfielder few times and it was even when dey scored the 3 goals. grin hahahahahah!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

You said he has not started in 'recent games' but now you are telling us about just 1 game. grin Is that not exaggeration?

Ajagun played as a central midfielder recently for Roda fc. He only played in the attacking midfielder few times and it was even when dey scored the 3 goals. grin hahahahahah!

He did not start the last game and cane on as a sub.

Do central midfielders not create again??

If he is the solution to creativity in the eagles, he should be showing it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
Forgiveness is like a man that has10 beautiful wives at home but will not show them love and would rather show love to women that are not likely to be his. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
forgiveness:

Ajagun for now is not good enough for the AM role in the Super Eagles. Period!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Well said Sir Basco... smiley

Another Stat is Of the four goals he's scored so far, three are match winners. wink

I anticipate his first brace and hattrick for the Super Eagles.

All his goals were match winners, remember Luxembourg scored once meaning our second goal which Iheanacho scored was the winner.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:11am On Oct 11, 2016
Oasis007:

grin

I am really proud of the new Look Eagles! A Dude in my Area asked me after the Match that who wins?! I replied him - Nigeria of course!

He couldn't believe it and said; wasn't it an away Match? I answered Yes! The next Question was very funny - he asked me if the Team donned the Green Jersey, and when I replied; No, it was the white Jersey. He was perplexed cos to him, the White Jersey is a Curse!

LOL!
Some Nigerians that usually hiss when we play any game will soon start troop in back to watch like the 94-98 era of football at international level.

your guy is a typical meet in my area everyday. You talk Naija, they turn it "ah chelsea, ah Barca, ah man u, ah ma try Madrid" and so on.

Statistic wise, he is correct, but his question extension shows the weak faith. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:13am On Oct 11, 2016
You're right sef... Just didn't include it coz Ighalo hit the third. But indeed, without the third, Nacho's goal was still enough thus making it the match winner.

I really wanna see braces and hattricks in the near future from Nacho. Not now shaa... But soon. smiley He's fast becoming an "untouchable" in the Eagles squad alongside Iwobi.

Mikel is an untouchable. Leon Balogun is an untouchable. Same with Ikeme. Nacho and Iwobi are walking into that "untouchable" class soonest enough.

Is Onazi still an untouchable? grin Well, the presence of Ndidi and Esiti are putting that question up for debate. wink

BascoVanVeli:

All his goals were match winners, remember Luxembourg scored once meaning our second goal which Iheanacho scored was the winner.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 12:14am On Oct 11, 2016
Icon4s:

Ajagun for now is not good enough for the AM role in the Super Eagles. Period!
hu im wan bench ? iheanacho?.,, etebo?
lmao
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:14am On Oct 11, 2016
KevinDein:
basically, what the author of that article did was to name the team with the "biggest stars" as group winners, (thinking Ghana will win their group says it all). What he fails to understand is that teams like Nigeria and Egypt have far more balanced teams (Algeria might ARGUABLY have a very slightly superior attack than Nigeria, but I genuinely feel we've got a better midfield and a slightly better defence than them).

We shouldn't take these journalists seriously (I personally don't grin). They are not as informed and knowledgeable as they will like us to believe and most of their articles are aimed at stirring controversies.

CLICK BAITS smiley
Lol, so much for prediction on the part of African sport journalist/analyst, Victor Ikpeba inclusive.

" See the past that he passed" grin or

"The young lad plays for Arsenal City" grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:15am On Oct 11, 2016
You're right sef... Just didn't include it coz Ighalo hit the third. But indeed, without the third, Nacho's goal was still enough thus making it the match winner.

I really wanna see braces and hattricks in the near future from Nacho. Not now shaa... But soon. smiley He's fast becoming an "untouchable" in the Eagles squad alongside Iwobi.

Mikel is an untouchable. Leon Balogun is an untouchable. Same with Ikeme. Nacho and Iwobi are walking into that "untouchable" class soonest enough.

Is Onazi still an untouchable? grin Well, the presence of Ndidi and Esiti are putting that question up for debate. wink

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:20am On Oct 11, 2016
Chaaaaiiiiiii..... grin

Icon4s:
Forgiveness is like a man that has10 beautiful wives at home but will not show them love and would rather show love to women that are not likely to be his. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:24am On Oct 11, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Dele Alli will surpass 30caps... #surebanker

I pray he is injury free to attain that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:27am On Oct 11, 2016
Hmmm... Well, I pray so too. He's their new lampard/gerrard rolled into one. England don't have a better player in his position. Even his alternative is another Nigerian-born in Ross Barkley.... Looolllll

England depending on Nigerian blood since 5 BC.... Hahahahahahaa... grin

daveP:
I pray he is injury free to attain that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 12:28am On Oct 11, 2016
We feared Nigeria's Premier League stars - Zambia skipper Kalaba

Skipper Rainford Kalaba has revealed some Zambia players were intimidated by the Nigeria stars who play in the Premier League in England and this caused their loss Sunday.

We were careless and Nigeria punished us - Zambia coach

Zambia lost for the first time in Ndola with Premier League stars Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho scoring for Nigeria in the first half.

The other Premier League stars on the squad were Chelsea midfielder Mikel Obi, Ahmed Musa from Leicester City and Brown Ideye, who has previously featured for West Bromwich Albion.

Kalaba revealed these stars scared some of his colleagues.

“Playing against experienced players based in Europe, some of the guys were scared of playing against them because they always watch them every weekend in the Premier league and when they see them live, it is often difficult for them to concentrate on the game,” reasoned the TP Mazembe star who posted a short-lived stint in Portugal many years ago.

“In the first half some of the guys were a bit scared, but in the second half we all saw how things went and we controlled the game.

“There are even more stars in Algeria and Cameroon, so this must be big lesson for us.”

Kalaba further said of his impression of Nigeria,” We respect Nigeria because they have some good players.

“They have some experienced players in the midfield and they were well organised.”

The exciting forward said the pressure will now be on the Chipolopolo to get their qualifying campaign back on track.

“Losing our first game has brought more pressure on us, but we hope to improve,” he admitted.

“We are all very disappointed we lost at home because it was important to start (this competition) well.

“We still have time to work together with the coach so that we that we could rectify the mistake we have made.”

http://mtnfootball.com/news/653350/We-feared-Nigerias-Premier-League-stars-Zambia-skipper-Kalaba

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lelion, elyte89, victornoah(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.