Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13907) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11721887 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13904) (13905) (13906) (13907) (13908) (13909) (13910) ... (16167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:41pm On Dec 01, 2022
Meliforme:
Thomas Partey is the only Ghanaian midfielder that can have a starting berth in the Super Eagles midfield.

The above conclusion is for those talking low about Super Eagles and hyping Ghanaian midfield to the firmament.

Mohammed Kudus should have a lot of thanks to Partey. I see the work Partey does in that midfield.

I think that Idrissa Gana Gueye would probably be in there .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 6:41pm On Dec 01, 2022
oloriooko:
I see Belgium FA sacking Roberto Martinez he's lost the will to win

Coming late

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:42pm On Dec 01, 2022
Saudi Arabia at the 2022 WC in a nutshell grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
ChrisKels:

I disagree. Forming a strong midfield from Nigeria and Ghana combined. Only Iwobi stands a chance to start. I will place Partey as my DM, Iwobi as my CM and Kudus as my AM.

Ndidi to the bench.

Must be dreaming or maybe I've had some bitter leaf Soup with fresh fish .

I actually agree with you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
justicechichex:
Who would have thought that Morocco will be table toppers in a group that has 2nd best team in the world; Belgium and last world cup finalists Croatia? No one saw this comin when the groups were drawn. No one.

Swears, fr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 6:53pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
There is a reason only Partey from the Ghanaian team makes my best Africa XI, 2022....

...as seen below.

But take nothing away from Kudus. He is an AM with a lot of drive and intelligence on the ball.

Kudus is just about the goals.
Goalscoring as a midfielder is an advantage, but when emphasis is on stability and balance in midfield. Iwobi and Nwakali will always give Kudus bench roles in any department you can think of in midfield, be it AM, CM or DM.

Even in the attacking midfielder role, Aribo has more to give me than Kudus. I know this will come as a shocker to many reading this, but these are no mere sayings. I will still pick Iwobi and Nwakali ahead of Aribo anywhere in midfield.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:54pm On Dec 01, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

Poland was struggling because Argentina made them struggle. Argentina made over 800 passes with over 70 percent control of the game. Poland couldn't even register a shot on target. The Argentina of yesterday fought like a wounded lion. Don't compare Poland to the super eagles. They for collect pass 2-0
Abeg.
Same match i watch? Did you see how Poland were toothless on counter with few blue shirts putting no pressure? Most of the ball lost by them had nothing to do with blue shirts. They were efficiently terrible with the ball at the feet. The rubbish long balls with nobody putting pressure. The nonsense pass sequence.. i can go on. Argentina had most of those 800passes after they scored 2. Fact!! They passed on and on till end. The Argentine backline were threatened more by Saudi than by Poland. Nothing wounded lion in display.

Their manager even flopped with his subs. As for Wales, c'mon!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2022
Many folks now realising just how good this Moroccan side is.

Something I have been harping about before and since the Afcon even when they fell 2-1 in the Quarters vs Egypt.

Their defeat that day didn't alter anything about my stance on this Moroccan team. Always known that on their day and in the right tactical hands, they can hurt teams and play a really eye-catching style of football.

There are reasons Morocco have always been my Favorite African side outside the Super Eagles. This WC is showing several of them.

I am not even so surprised at their success so far at the WC because I know what the team is capable of. And even if they had not made it past the group stage, my views won't change... I said as much before the WC began.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:56pm On Dec 01, 2022
isan:
Belgium golden generation is finally over . They won Nothing !!!
Strange But True.

Make KDB win UCL at least, else, future banters go sweet. Cos....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 7:02pm On Dec 01, 2022
While you are at it, ask Osimhen say why was he doing unnecessary bicycle kicks. cheesy grin
minfelix:
Na only Eguavoen can explain what went bad for him in the space of 6games, beating all 3teams(including Afcon finalist) in a group and accumulating 100% point only to go and jonez in the round 16... successfully holding Ghana at the intimidating baba Yara slaughter zone, only for you to come and screw up in Abuja... Super eagle's Afcon group stage performance, first leg doggedness at baba Yara, and 20mins towards the end of Abuja clash showed me that we would have held our own against top teams if qualified
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:06pm On Dec 01, 2022
I know where you come from but I most times try to avoid extending my Midfield discussions to Nwakali and other MF personnel when I can work with others from around the continent doing it at higher levels. That formed the basis for my Best Africa XI.

But limiting it to just Ghana and Nigeria, I don't disagree with you.

But in the AM role, if it has to come down to a choice between Kudus & Aribo, I will lean towards Kudus.

Now when I dissect analytically the tactical balance and sync of middle game dynamics, ofcoz Iwobi, Nwakali and even Alhassan Yusuf will get my strong nods over Kudus especially in the CDM and CM roles. In the AM role, Nwakali & Iwobi will also bring more to the role than Kudus' direct playing style.

In the end, my major focus is the Super Eagles.

What Partey does in the middle for Ghana is something not even Ndidi does well for Nigeria.

Our imbalance in the middle game needs serious addressing and we have the personnel that can be deployed right to fix that imbalance.

But as usual, trust Naija fans to tie everything to agenda and to ask the same old dumb questions like "But where does he play?"

Meliforme:

Goalscoring as a midfielder is an advantage, but when emphasis is on stability and balance in midfield. Iwobi and Nwakali will always give Kudus bench roles in any department you can think of in midfield, be it AM, CM or DM.

Even in the attacking midfielder role, Aribo has more to give me than Kudus. I know this will come as a shocker to many reading this, but these are no mere sayings. I will still pick Iwobi and Nwakali ahead of Aribo anywhere in midfield.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 7:07pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Saudi Arabia at the 2022 WC in a nutshell grin

Look at that jawline
Mr Macho lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2022
Like Nigeria, Like Morocco: World Cup Twins

Only two African nations have topped their group at multiple World Cups:

▶️Nigeria (1994, 1998)

▶️Morocco (1986, 2022)

The Atlas Lions join the Super Eagles in a special club among African nations.

Also note that Morocco becomes the latest African side to top a WC Group since Nigeria in 1998.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2022
Scenes where Martinez becomes next SE manager...... grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2022
World Cup: England defender Harry Maguire mocked in Ghanaian parliament
01:11

England defender Harry Maguire has been mocked by a Ghanaian MP who used a football analogy to describe the nation’s vice president.

Issac Adongo labelled Dr Mahamudu Bawumia an “economic Maguire”, likening his performance in the role to Maguire’s decline since joining Manchester United.

“[He was] tackling Manchester players and giving assists to opponents. Mr Speaker, when you see the opponents go to score, Maguire will score for them,” Mr Adongo said, as laughter erupted in the chamber.

“Mr Speaker, you remember in this country we also have an economic Maguire.”

See awa bredes parliament oooo,

Chai Maguire don suffer cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2022
Meliforme:

When we are talking about national team football ⚽ some names should NEVER be in the discussion.

It really makes a mockery of everything you have said here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 7:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
I said Africa Best XI. Amrabat made mine as CDM. Partey as CM/B2B and Ziyech as AM.

Note: Partey can play both CDM & B2B-CM roles comfortably.

'Was only responding to Meliforme's observation on Partey's influence in the middle for Ghana. Not necessarily addressing the Combined midfield XI of Ghana and Naija.

In your own assessment between Iwobi and Kudus who will you choose to play the AM.

It is true that Iwobi is more creative than Alhassan, in your assessment who will you choose between Alhassan and Iwobi for the CM role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
I will definitely pick Iwobi over Kudus as AM.

At CM, it depends on the personnel I pick in the other Midfield roles in a likely Midfield 3.

Truth is in the Super Eagles, I hope to see a Midfield 3 of Ndidi/Onyedika-Nwakali-Iwobi with Alhassan as my go-to man off the bench even ahead of Onyeka who would also be on the bench.

The Onyedika-Nwakali-Iwobi Midfield 3 has so much balance potentially and Alhassan can slot into the CDM or CM roles comfortably in place of Onyedika or Nwakali respectively.

Meliforme:

In your own assessment between Iwobi and Kudus who will you choose to play the AM.

It is true that Iwobi is more creative than Alhassan, in your assessment who will you choose between Alhassan and Iwobi for the CM role.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 7:51pm On Dec 01, 2022
Stormtrooper11:

Poland was struggling because Argentina made them struggle. Argentina made over 800 passes with over 70 percent control of the game. Poland couldn't even register a shot on target. The Argentina of yesterday fought like a wounded lion. Don't compare Poland to the super eagles. They for collect pass 2-0

Argentina were also wounded lion in 2018 after loosing to Croatia and drawing Iceland, wetin Dem play? No b 2-1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:54pm On Dec 01, 2022
All those we are obsessed with this discriminatory quasi- tribalism creating division ➗ where there ar none, instituting animosity and bigoted exclusion where there is none.

How many of the Moroccan players where born and brought up outside of Morocco as well as emanated from Europe top football academy and Leagues.

They simply dont have this divisive and retrogressive discourse of FB ( foreighn born) vs Nigerian born that impacts team selection.

But in addition players who were in high demand by European nations opted to play first for Morocco. Players like Ziyech, Hakimi Mouh, felt such a sense of belonging and welcoming , they chose Morroco first, but WHY ❓

WHAT is Morocco doing differently that creates such brotherly COHESION ❓❓

It's been like this for quite some time, l remember Adel Taarabt one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen. He could ha be played for England or France but chose Morocco first.

There are many things we can learn from Morocco, digression : Morocco sells electricity to the UK renewable clean energy from Solar generation in the SAHARA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 7:55pm On Dec 01, 2022
benji93:
While you are at it, ask Osimhen say why was he doing unnecessary bicycle kicks. cheesy grin

I swear those kicks vex me oooo, jus dey troway goals at the same time pressing the Ghanaian defense with hustles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
No. Individual brilliance, grits and Moments of instinctual brilliance are much better appreciated when witnessed and executed on the foundation of Tactics.

Tactics is the foundation. It is not everything and cannot determine the 100% outcome of a game but it helps to give a team direction and purpose.

I believe no one can have a coaching badge without knowing tactics. Who becomes a coach without tactics formation understanding!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2022
Marjoribanks:
I believe no one can have a coaching badge without knowing tactics. Who becomes a coach without tactics formation understanding!

Haven’t u seen graduates who can’t spell simple stuffs in Nysc camps b4?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2022
You make it look like we still don't have bad coaches despite their possession of a badge.

Some don't have tactics and that is the truth. There is difference between "merely knowing" and applying it right. Some just don't know how to apply it. They don't own it for themselves. They are cram and pour coaches.

The conditions under which one bagged their coaching badge is not the same as the conditions one faces in real game situations as a coach up against quality oppositions.

We have Civil Engineers who graduated and still built poor structures. I bet you would say the Certificate of such shields them from not having knowledge flaws.

Marjoribanks:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:23pm On Dec 01, 2022
Francis Uzoho kept goal for all 90mins as his side, Omonia Nicosia secured a 2-1 win over Karmiotissa Polemidion in Round 2 of the Cyprus Cup today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:23pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
You make it look like we still don't have bad coaches despite their possession of a badge.

Some don't have tactics and that is the truth. There is difference between "merely knowing" and applying it right. Some just don't know how to apply it. They don't own it for themselves. They are cram and pour coaches.

The conditions under which one bagged their coaching badge is not the same as the conditions one faces in real game situations as a coach up against quality oppositions.

We have Civil Engineers who graduated and still built poor structures. I bet you would say the Certificate of such shields them from not having knowledge flaws.

You are right!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
I will definitely pick Iwobi over Kudus as AM.

At CM, it depends on the personnel I pick in the other Midfield roles in a likely Midfield 3.

Truth is in the Super Eagles, I hope to see a Midfield 3 of Ndidi/Onyedika-Nwakali-Iwobi with Alhassan as my go-to man off the bench even ahead of Onyeka who would also be on the bench.

The Onyedika-Nwakali-Iwobi Midfield 3 has so much balance potentially and Alhassan can slot into the CDM or CM roles comfortably in place of Onyedika or Nwakali respectively.

Thank you, TheSuperNerd.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2022
komekn:
All those we are obsessed with this discriminatory quasi- tribalism creating division ➗ where there ar none, instituting animosity and bigoted exclusion where there is none.

How many of the Moroccan players where born and brought up outside of Morocco as well as emanated from Europe top football academy and Leagues.

They simply dont have this divisive and retrogressive discourse of FB ( foreighn born) vs Nigerian born that impacts team selection.

But in addition players who were in high demand by European nations opted to play first for Morocco. Players like Ziyech, Hakimi Mouh, felt such a sense of belonging and welcoming , they chose Morroco first, but WHY ❓

WHAT is Morocco doing differently that creates such brotherly COHESION ❓❓

It's been like this for quite some time, l remember Adel Taarabt one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen. He could ha be played for England or France but chose Morocco first.

There are many things we can learn from Morocco, digression : Morocco sells electricity to the UK renewable clean energy from Solar generation in the SAHARA.
Were they called up and rejected the invite?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cecco90: 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
Meliforme:

Nawa!. Una still smuggle Nwakali name enter this discussion?. grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2022
Joebie:
And labeling me to that quote of andrewbaba. Abi you dey allergic to facts?

Because you own that moniker. Swell with your life that you are not the owner of that moniker. That moniker is your second moniker. Andrewbaba also has the same suspicion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:41pm On Dec 01, 2022
komekn:

When we are talking about national team football ⚽ some names should NEVER be in the discussion.

It really makes a mockery of everything you have said here.

imagine player wey dey league wey still dey on dis World Cup break cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Cecco90:

Nawa!. Una still smuggle Nwakali name enter this discussion?. grin grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13904) (13905) (13906) (13907) (13908) (13909) (13910) ... (16167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BannedLarge, elyte89, Tinneh, 10cedes and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.