Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,019 members, 7,838,565 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14065) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11799897 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14062) (14063) (14064) (14065) (14066) (14067) (14068) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:33am On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:
This Folarin Balogun boy na baller ooo. Scored 2 goals today.
We need Nff to contact him asap cos U.S are trying to convince him to play for them.
Shockingly, he prefers Nigeria!

I have wouldn't say it's SHOCKING, I would rather say it's absolutely EXPECTED.

The reality is he is way down the pecking order , where English forward players are concerned.

Who is he going to displace Kane, Rashford, Wilson, Ings, Watkins, Toney, Tega, to name but a few.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 4:54am On Dec 30, 2022
komekn:

If that's your idea of exceptional skill, guile, technique and dribbling you need to go for an eye test.

Did you watch the video?
Are you just trolling me.

Nobody, at first, used the word exceptional to describe Osimhen's technique, they rather said he has a low technique,
but since you brought in that description, then Osimhen's technique is exceptional.
And from today henceforth Osimhen's technique is exceptional. Osimhen's technique is actually exceptional. Yes he is exceptional, and your eyes is convincing you now, and if it is not then you need a surgeon.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:59am On Dec 30, 2022
United States not England! He was born in the United States and was considered for the world cup. But he said he prefers Nigeria!
komekn:

The reality is he is way down the pecking order , where English forward players are concerned.

Who is he going to displace Kane, Rashford, Wilson, Ings, Watkins, Toney, Tega, to name but a few.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:10am On Dec 30, 2022
Bonke na bonga fisherman
Marjoribanks:
Moffi struck the post again today. Quiet unfortunate!

Bonke came on in the 32nd minutes and was the 2nd highest rated Lorient player aside the goalkeeper!

The boy don dey ball oo!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:46am On Dec 30, 2022
cc: TheSuperNerd

Qualities of Rico Lewis

The most interesting individual performance came from Lewis, who is really up for something new.

While Guardiola has previously converted full-backs who are used to playing as ‘natural’ full-backs and advance down the flanks, it seems Lewis was molded specifically for the role at City’s academy.

He has spent more time in midfield than as a full-back and is more comfortable than Kyle Walker or Joao Cancelo playing in tight spaces, making turns and playing another forward pass up front.

He excels at scanning the pitch as the passer passes the ball to him, flicking the ball past opponents quickly and without frills, more in the mold of a Spanish midfielder than an English full-back.

His distribution was generally neat rather than expressive, but on a few occasions he received the ball centrally and then spread it to the flank, forcing Leeds in and then out.

And he’s also capable of overlapping when needed.

https://localtoday.news/us/did-man-city-pep-create-guardiolas-dream-full-back-rico-lewis-feels-like-a-new-generation-of-players-245018.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:50am On Dec 30, 2022

One of the Super Eagles full backs that I feel can offer this kind of capability of Rico Lewis has always been Ola Aina.

I have always liked his comfort on the ball and how he moves when surrounded by opposing players. However, with us not playing a modern football system, we do not get to see the tactical flexibilities of our players.

Iwobi is also someone who I believe will play this role excellently.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:59am On Dec 30, 2022
This guy na bluelf jor!
Joebie:
Bonke na bonga fisherman
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:07am On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:
We need Nff to contact him asap cos U.S are trying to convince him to play for them.
plus he is younger than our other CF

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:08am On Dec 30, 2022
20/21 years old!
maidaboi:
plus he is younger than our other CF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:09am On Dec 30, 2022
Saviour deal is off!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 8:19am On Dec 30, 2022
BIG HEADLINES

Nigeria Football Federation and the Interim Management Committee have secured a 10-year partnership deal that worth Ten Billion Naira with GTI Group for Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:24am On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:
United States not England! He was born in the United States and was considered for the world cup. But he said he prefers Nigeria!

He was born in the USA but left at 2 years old and has always lived in England.

I didn't realise that he was born in the USA that is definitely another option for him and changes the dynamics considerably.

The USA is a better team and option for him as they will probably always qualify for the World cup.

The left back for the USA had a similar situation im talking about Jedi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:27am On Dec 30, 2022
Meliforme:

Did you watch the video?
Are you just trolling me.

Nobody, at first, used the word exceptional to describe Osimhen's technique, they rather said he has a low technique,
but since you brought in that description, then Osimhen's technique is exceptional.
And from today henceforth Osimhen's technique is exceptional. Osimhen's technique is actually exceptional. Yes he is exceptional, and your eyes is convincing you now, and if it is not then you need a surgeon.

It's your opinion even if it's delusional.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:27am On Dec 30, 2022
One thing is sure Moffi will leave Lorient this January to either Crystal Palace or Southampton!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:32am On Dec 30, 2022
The World Cup happens every 4 years that should not be a priority. He can't play more than 2 World Cups. USA missed 2018 WC almost missed this one. The Super Eagles has a better chance of making it to the World Cup and obviously has a better team!
komekn:

He was born in the USA but left at 2 years old and has always lived in England.

I didn't realise that he was born in the USA that is definitely another option for him and changes the dynamics considerably.

The USA is a better team and option for him as they will probably always qualify for the World cup.

The left back for the USA had a similar situation im talking about Jedi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:36am On Dec 30, 2022
Folarin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05am On Dec 30, 2022
The Rico kid is gonna be mega. No caps. Been impressed with him since he burst onto the senior scene at 17. A RB who can invert and operate super comfortably as a Midfielder. Passing range, Ball intelligence, tactical intelligence, Press resistance, Composure, etc and he is still just 18!!!!

He looks like the only lad currently who can do what he does with ease. Although I understand there is a Malo Gusto of Lyon who might come close.

TheGoodJoe:

Are we witnessing the rise of a new footballing great? Time will tell. However, there is a big promise coming with Rico Lewis of Manchester City. He looks like the ultimate inverted full back.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:08am On Dec 30, 2022
The Kind of Composure and Football IQ I expect from my Super Eagles midfielders. A Man City RB has more midfieldery qualities than more than half of my Super Eagles midfield options. Only a few Naija MFs today has similar qualities to this kid.

TheGoodJoe:

Qualities of Rico Lewis

The most interesting individual performance came from Lewis, who is really up for something new.

While Guardiola has previously converted full-backs who are used to playing as ‘natural’ full-backs and advance down the flanks, it seems Lewis was molded specifically for the role at City’s academy.

He has spent more time in midfield than as a full-back and is more comfortable than Kyle Walker or Joao Cancelo playing in tight spaces, making turns and playing another forward pass up front.

He excels at scanning the pitch as the passer passes the ball to him, flicking the ball past opponents quickly and without frills, more in the mold of a Spanish midfielder than an English full-back.

His distribution was generally neat rather than expressive, but on a few occasions he received the ball centrally and then spread it to the flank, forcing Leeds in and then out.

And he’s also capable of overlapping when needed.

https://localtoday.news/us/did-man-city-pep-create-guardiolas-dream-full-back-rico-lewis-feels-like-a-new-generation-of-players-245018.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11am On Dec 30, 2022
Yes, I agree. Ola Aina has got that fine bit of "midfieldery" qualities about him. Very press resistant, composed on the ball and has got very decent Football IQ.

But in Alex Iwobi, based on his showings at Everton towards the latter part of the 21/22 season which saw him play RB where he would often invert into midfield, we surely have a lad who can do all Rico does if ever there is a need to use him that way.

TheGoodJoe:

One of the Super Eagles full backs that I feel can offer this kind of capability of Rico Lewis has always been Ola Aina.

I have always liked his comfort on the ball and how he moves when surrounded by opposing players. However, with us not playing a modern football system, we do not get to see the tactical flexibilities of our players.

Iwobi is also someone who I believe will play this role excellently.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:16am On Dec 30, 2022
R.I.P. Pele

Pele's GOAT of GOATs reminder.

TheSuperNerd:
Nerdie's New Ranking Order of the Football GOATs Club.

In my deeply informed Opinion, this is indeed The True Order of the GOATs:

1. Pele: 3 WCs, 7 Ballon Dors, 12 Goals +10 Assists in 14 WC games, 2 Copa Libertadores. - Still the GOAT of GOATs

2. Lionel Messi: 1 WC, 7 Ballon Dors, 13 Goals + 8 Assists in 26 WC games, 4 UCLs.

3. Diego Maradona: 1 WC, 2 Ballon Dors, 8 Goals + 8 Assists in 21 WC games, 1 Uefa Cup.

4. CR7: 5 Ballon Dors, 8 Goals +2 assists in 22 WC games, 5 UCLs.

#Qatar2022DiariesMD

Bonus:
GOAT Candidates in the coming years - Leading the way is undoubtedly Kylian Mbappe. He'll be back for more in 2026. For now, it's back to club football in search of his first UCL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 9:44am On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:
Folarin

Dude will dilly dally with us when we approach him while waiting for England call-up

Only to release statement and pics of his love for Nigeria when it doesn't go his way

Na their way be that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:03am On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:
One thing is sure Moffi will leave Lorient this January to either Crystal Palace or Southampton!

I very much doubt that there are many hurdles to cross.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
R.I.P. Pele

Pele's GOAT of GOATs reminder.

Yes. R. I. P to Great Pele but surprised his mother Celeste is still alive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:33am On Dec 30, 2022
Blueelf:

Dude will dilly dally with us when we approach him while waiting for England call-up

Only to release statement and pics of his love for Nigeria when it doesn't go his way

Na their way be that

Seeing as he played for England and USA youth teams in the same year and has at one point declared love for Nigeria, I don't think he is one we should trouble ourselves over...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:34am On Dec 30, 2022
komekn:

He is having a better season than Watkins, Tammy and Ings..

unless you want to downplay the quality of the French league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:38am On Dec 30, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

Perhaps instead of 2 groups, they could have maybe three or 4 scattered around so while those long arduous trips would still need to be made at least they would be further reduced. It could be a dumb idea, what do I know.

That would mean lesser number of games...

If not an abridged league, maybe it's better they reduce the number of teams to 16... Most of the top leagues in Africa play a 16 team league... it's more convenient that way IMO.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:40am On Dec 30, 2022
Collins Yira Sor: Genk's new #14

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:44pm On Dec 30, 2022
TheSuperNerd:
Collins Yira Sor: Genk's new #14

Wow, He finally joined, Hope he will not be in Paul's Shadow,

But na wa for Genk ooo, Paul is still there why signing another forward again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2022
Marjoribanks:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2022
komekn:

He has the potential to become the 3rd choice after Toney and Kane. The others are just bunch of overrated GOAT wannabe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2022
komekn:

It's your opinion even if it's delusional.

As delusional as it may sound to your ears, I have seen more shooting technique in Osimhen than in your beloved Tammy Abraham.
And in my own assessment after taking into consideration other football techniques I have found that Osimhen is more technical on the overall than Tammy Abraham.

I picked out the shooting technique because of how obvious the difference is.
I chose Tammy Abraham because he is a player you claim to know and have high regards for.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2022
NPFL 2022/2023 DRAWS CONDUCTED BY THE IMC.

GROUP A:
Akwa United of Uyo
Bendel Insurance of Benin.
El kanemi Warriors of Maiduguri.
Enyimba FC of Aba.
Gombe United
Kwara United of Ilorin.
Nassarawa United.
Plateau United of Jos.
Remo Stars of Ikenne.
Shooting Stars of Ibadan.

GROUP B:

Abia Warriors of Umuahia.
Bayelsa United.
Dakkada.
Doma United of Gombe.
Lobi Stars of Benue.
Niger Tornadoes.
Rangers International of Enugu.
Rivers United of Port Harcourt
Sunshine Stars of Akure.
Wikki Tourists of Bauchi.

◾The New Season is Expected to Kick off on January 8th.

◾ Super Six will decide the Winner, the Top Three Teams From each Group would face off to decide the Winner.

◾ The Winners of the League will go home with 100 Million Naira.

◾Every Club will get 10 Million Naira before the League Commences.

◾Referees Bonuses and Salaries would be paid directly into their account by Sponsors.

◾ NPFL would be live on NTA but would be produced by a HD Streaming Company.

THE NPFL IS BACK

#NPFL #NPFL23

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14062) (14063) (14064) (14065) (14066) (14067) (14068) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: enlady(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.