Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,790 members, 7,862,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:55 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11941507 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14210) (14211) (14212) (14213) (14214) (14215) (14216) ... (16353) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:42pm On Feb 05, 2023
quickberry:

Wack analysis. Thierry Henry tore up EPL, but couldn't replicate the same form for BARCA.😏 Van Nistelroy scored so many goals in the EPL, but flopped at Real Madrid.
Before Henry tore up the EPL he was a flop at Juventus. Bergkamp flopped at Milan but was a great success at Arsenal

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mujtahida:

Before Henry tore up the EPL he was a flop at Juventus. Bergkamp flopped at Milan but was a great success at Arsenal

Thank you bro✌️

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2023
Joezinho:

The same fairy tale run Osimhen and his likes could not do. Hakimi stands a better chance than Osimhen. Or do you think National team games do not matter? It’s an African award.

It’s not by scoring tons of goals against the bums of africa like Sierra Leone, Lesotho, Benin, CAR and São Tomé.. Where did he lead his team to?

If national team performance really mattered, then Mikel or Enyeama would have won that award in 2013.. Mahrez won have won it in 2019 too..
Napoli haven't won the Serie A title in three decades... No African has ever won the top scorer award in the Serie A... Osimhen is on course to break both record..heck, Napoli stand a decent chance of making it to the UCL final....
Osimhen has every chance as much as Hakimi to win the APOTy... Stop the bad belle

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:45pm On Feb 05, 2023
KINGinVAHALA:
Guardiola will sits down and decides to get his selections wrong, same thing he did that made him lose to Chelsea at the UCL final.
How on earth will Guardiola bench De Bruyne and Gundogan against Tottenham and plays 4 attackers instead?
Again, I feels Diaz and Laporte on the bench are much better and coordinated than Akanji and Ake
Somebody said he probably want to hand over the EPL trophy to his former assistant. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 7:46pm On Feb 05, 2023
Danielnino00:

If national team performance really mattered, then Mikel or Enyeama would have won that aware in 2013.. Mahrez won have won it in 2019 too..
Napoli haven't won the Serie A title in three decades... No African has ever won the top scorer award in the Serie A... Osimhen is on course to break both record..heck, Napoli stand a decent chance of making it to the UCL final....
Osimhen has every chance as much as Hakimi to win the APOTy... Stop the bad belle

I dare say he had a better chance sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slimthugchimee2(m): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2023
chrisooblog:
Lol please free them doc it's their coping mechanism shifting goalposts. First it was Osimhen can't score against big teams, now it's Serie A is a dead league same dead league that currently has three teams in the second round. Same dead league that Napoli flogged Liverpool senseless earlier in the season.

I just dey laugh

See shifting of goal post grin

They first started with osimhen is at Ligue1 apart from PSG everyteam in Ligue1 is subpar

Then to osimhen hasn't been worth the amount of money paid for him by napoli

Then it changed to Osimhen doesn't score against big teams

Now it's kvara is the only reason osimhen is scoring and Seria A is an easy league to score grin grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2023
Rockyrascal:
cremonese defence have conceded so much goals this season, there is a high chance he could score against them
But Cremonese knocked Napoli out of Coppa Italia
Revenge mission grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2023
quickberry:

The guy don dey provoke me with him comment about Osimhen since.

Issoky, you can choose to jumpam pass, but calling him a kid, that's a no,

Again we are all SE fans, we gat criticize both constructive and destructive, with same hope that they will take not and sit up, that's the beauty of being a fans
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:52pm On Feb 05, 2023
lovewins:

I dare say he had a better chance sef.

Normally, Hakimi won't really be in the conversation... I mean when was the last time a defender won the APOTY?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:53pm On Feb 05, 2023
Let me help you with this one Chris.

You know how well I follow Moroccan football and their national teams so I should know this for facts.

At the WC, Hakimi was good but he wasn't even Morocco's best player.

That belongs to either of Bonou, Ounahi or Amrabat if we are being honest. The majority of the world media even had more praises for Amrabat than any other Moroccan on the team and we all know he actually had arguably the biggest influence on Morocco's transition-based plays.

Now, a honest question... can Elyte89 tell us confidently that Sofyan Amrabat will win the APOTY ahead of a player who will end the season on 20+ league goals, a Serie A Title, an MVP award and a Top Scorer award??

And doing so as the first African to top score in Italy ever?? Amrabat of Fiorentina will bag APOTY ahead of a man who will win the title of champion in the same league he features in??

Elyte89 and others of this school of thought... come and answer honestly. 😁

chrisooblog:
South Korea made it to semifinal of 2002 world cup heaven didn't collapse.

Turkey has won a world cup bronze the world didn't collapse so I should now faint because an african team got to the world cup semis because it's written down somewhere that another african country can't surpass achieve what they did?

I asked a simple question what was the level of Hakimi's performance at the world cup that makes him worthy of APOTY till now I'm still waiting for the answer.

Pre and post world cup how many moroccan players have blow us away with their performances in club competition this season? Because of world cup run where luck was also a factor you know want make person hear word.

Credit to Morocco they tried but it's still a one of. God keeping all of us alive let's see what they do at the next AFCON and the world cup in 2026.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... Relax Papa Haaland. Cool down. 😂

We all know the Moroccans have 3 players who still stand among the contenders for the APOTY. I have said this before.

Bounou, Amrabat and Hakimi lead the way thanks to their Super Historic WC Run with the Atlas Lions.

But you see, if Osimhen wins the Copacannoniere in Italy and bags the League MVP award in addition to winning the Serie A title and tops it up with even a Quarter Finals or Semis finish in the UCL... it would be HARD looking past him for the award.

Don't forget about Mikel in 2013. Won the Afcon and played a vital role in it yet lost the APOTY to Yaya Toure who won nothing that season at Man City except an English Super Cup title (Community Shield).

Also, dont forget 2012. Drogba and Mikel won the UCL but most of the attention fell to Drogba yet Yaya Toure won the APOTY again after winning the EPL with Man City.

Note... these were not the seasons where Yaya hit 20 goals as a Midfielder. He achieved that in 2013/14 season and also won the EPL title which easily AGAIN handed him the APOTY over Aubameyang.

So Bottomline, Morocco's WC Run definitely put those 3 guys in front for now but at season's end when we know the results of how each performed for Club too and not just country, Osimhen will be a Major contender and a likely winner.

U made relevant points which also align with my points in my previous post, I av noticed dis long bias attitude towards English speaking African countries when it comes to apoty awards…as a player from such countries u need to achieve triple of what non speaking English African countries

Dts y I fear for osimhen making the top three except if he can achieve what u mentioned earlier

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 7:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
slimthugchimee2:

I just dey laugh

They first started with osimhen is at Ligue1 apart from PSG everyteam in Ligue1 is subpar

Now it's kvara is the only reason osimhen is scoring and Seria A is an easy league to score grin grin
Where is komehn grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 7:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mujtahida:

Every league has their dark and light moments. Seria A in the 90’s was the absolute best league (indomie generation no sabi) whoever scored 15 league goals in Seria A in the 90’s was a King

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
You sef see am! When we praise him they call us yes men who don't want him to improve.

Anyway Osimhen should continue to stay focused and determined. Use all that doubt and criticism and fuel to prove them wrong.

slimthugchimee2:

I just dey laugh

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:57pm On Feb 05, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

You know how well I follow Moroccan football and their national teams so I should know this for facts.

That belongs to either of Bonou, Ounahi or Amrabat if we are being honest. The majority of the world media even had more praises for Amrabat than any other Moroccan on the team and we all know he actually had arguably the biggest influence on Morocco's transition-based plays.

Now, a honest question... can Elyte89 tell us confidently that Sofyan Amrabat will win the APOTY ahead of a player who will end the season on 20+ league goals, a Serie A Title, an MVP award and a Top Scorer award??

And doing so as the first African to top score in Italy ever?? Amrabat of Fiorentina will bag APOTY ahead of a man who will win the title of champion in the same league he features in??

😀😀😀😀 dis question tough but I don’t trust those caf guys, so anything can happen,

Not dt he worth d award more Dan osimhen but their bias judgement might come to play

They can purposely leave osimhen out of top 5 sef,just to justify deir position

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 7:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
slimthugchimee2:

I just dey laugh

When it mattered most against World class defenders like Amartey and the yeye Ghana defense. Where was our star men?? They couldn’t score in 180 minutes against Ghana (when it mattered) I am sorry but only rectify that result will that memory be forgiven.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 8:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
If they had mentioned Amrabat I won't have responded because it was largely down to his midfield performances especially against Spain and Portugal that they were able to go so far.

TheSuperNerd:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:02pm On Feb 05, 2023
A better question should rather be when was the last time a defender finished 2nd in the APOTY.

Answer: 2001. Sammy Osei Kuffour came 2nd to El Hadji Diouf of Senegal. Also repeated in 1999, when he came 2nd to Kanu Nwankwo.

Now this 2001 saw Kuffour win the UCL yet CAF gave it to a forward whose goals helped power Senegal to their first WC appearance. He also did good at Lens.

UCL win couldn't help Kuffour but WC Semis will help Hakimi? Well, time will tell.

We also know Hakimi will win Ligue 1 again at Season's end but I don't think that will overshadow Osimhen's Serie A win.

The Moroccans lead the way for now, but come end of the season, it would be an Osimhen Home run for this award. People forget he is also top scorer of the Afcon Qualifiers.

Danielnino00:

Normally, Hakimi won't really be in the conversation... I mean when was the last time a defender won the APOTY?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 8:03pm On Feb 05, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Hakimi qualified marocco for the World Cup and immensely contributed to his country historic semi final appearance in addition to it, he will likely win an Lique 1 (farmers league) and is also an integral player. Let’s assume that victor wins Seria A (even out) what happened to him for his country? Why didn’t he qualify or score for his country when it mattered most? Vs Ghana in 180 Minutes My friend, you will have to be extremely biased not to believe that Hakimi doesn’t deserve an APOY. Honestly, if any super eagles player makes the top 3 sef, it’s a serious Blessing/progress
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:06pm On Feb 05, 2023
Lol.... I see your angle but with Mane not really making the headlines this season, and Salah not really living up to his top standards in terms of goal scoring this season, then it would be very very very difficult to see CAF exclude Osimhen from the Top 5.

He is clearly one of the Top 3 In-form Strikers in World Football right now so it will be hard ignoring him especially with the attention his performances keep getting around Europe.

elyte89:

😀😀😀😀 dis question tough but I don’t trust those caf guys, so anything can happen,

Not dt he worth d award more Dan osimhen but their bias judgement might come to play

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:07pm On Feb 05, 2023
Hakimi was not Morocco's best player at the mundial. Not statistically and not even by eye test. That is on period.

BannedLarge:

Hakimi qualified marocco for the World Cup and immensely contributed to his country historic semi final appearance in addition to it, he will likely win an Lique 1 (farmers league) and is also an integral player. Let’s assume that victor wins Seria A (even out) what happened to him for his country? Why didn’t he qualify or score for his country when it mattered most? Vs Ghana in 180 Minutes My friend, you will have to be extremely biased not to believe that Hakimi doesn’t deserve an APOY. Honestly, if any super eagles player makes the top 3 sef, it’s a serious Blessing/progress

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 8:07pm On Feb 05, 2023
elyte89:

This isn’t about any Caf guys because any logical thinking person will say that what Moroccans did was unimaginable and Hakimi was an integral part club/country. If it was easy why didn’t our players defeat Ordinary Ghana let alone Portugal.. the same Portugal that flogged us 4-0 was who Hakimi made impotent… anyway, you can deceive some people sometimes but not everyone all the time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 8:08pm On Feb 05, 2023
Nigeria’s got solid strikers o
Osimhen
Onuachu
Tella
Folarin Balogun
Moffi
Sadiq
Awoniyi cheesy

Maybe Iheanacho could be seen as one too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:11pm On Feb 05, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Una no go analyze pep and city tactics today?
grin grin
You too like vawulence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:11pm On Feb 05, 2023
Oshoala now has 12 goals in her last 5 games.
#agbaballer

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2023
yinkeys:
Nigeria’s got solid strikers o
Osimhen
Onuachu
Tella
Folarin Balogun
Moffi
Sadiq cheesy

Maybe Iheanacho could be seen as one too

Nothing solid here if u fail to qualify for d World Cup (Bannedlarge;2022) 😀

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mujtahida:

Alexis Sanchez was a flop at Manchester Utd

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:13pm On Feb 05, 2023
BannedLarge:

This isn’t about any Caf guys because any logical thinking person will say that what Moroccans did was unimaginable and Hakimi was an integral part club/country. If it was easy why didn’t our players defeat Ordinary Ghana let alone Portugal.. the same Portugal that flogged us 4-0 was who Hakimi made impotent… anyway, you can deceive some people sometimes but not everyone all the time

It is 2023 and you still talking Ghana.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 8:15pm On Feb 05, 2023
elyte89:

We don’t have a World class goalie, playmaker & defender
Was expecting Ndidi to have become or evolve something close to Yaya Toure, Thomas Partey or Ngolo Kante but hmmmm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:15pm On Feb 05, 2023
elyte89:

I don laugh tire.... 🤣🤣

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 8:15pm On Feb 05, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Hakimi was not Morocco's best player at the mundial. Not statistically and not even by eye test. That is on period.

He was ONE of their best players and their official best will be preferential. Hakimi, zyech, ambrabat or ounahi were their four best at the tournament. Also, he will most likely win Lique 1 (Farmers league) just like our own (Seria A) the common denominator between the 2 will be Champions league and national team performance.. the number position is still open for grab but for now, Hakimi will most likely be Nominated as top 3… if victor is nominated as top 3, that’s a Win for him because I believe that in the near future, he will win Apoy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2023
Tolu and Sor just scored to make it 3-2 to Genk after coming on together as subs! Naijaboys!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14210) (14211) (14212) (14213) (14214) (14215) (14216) ... (16353) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, XshegzzyeeiX2, lbrichman2, Emmy450(m), elyte89, AlbertoIancu, poshemmanuel(m), MetalJigsaw(m) and 16 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.