Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14413) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11713916 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14410) (14411) (14412) (14413) (14414) (14415) (14416) ... (16163) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
Keep playing blind to what Morocco did in Qatar. I am done arguing on something so glaring to all.

You are making weak excuses for a team capable of doing more. Walid literally shatters that time restraint theory of yours.

A really sound coach will get the ball rolling coz he will look at our team and know the pieces missing like I have always analysed. The current personnel deployment in the Super Eagles is rubbish. And the selection is all flawed. The coaching is not sound. We need changes not self denial.

Marjoribanks:
They did not shake any thing! Only their goalkeeper shook the world! They had to defend for their lives against one of the worst Spanish team ever with their goalkeeper making incredible safe after safe! They got a lucky header against Portugal and defended with their lives. They were grilled to defend and counter, which can be done by any team with a good goal keeper as theirs.
They became vulnerable against teams like Egypt, South Africa and Peru who defended and counter against them.
With a goalkeeper like theirs we would have won the AFCON and qualified for the world cup.
Equaveon also had 2weeks and gave us the best group stage AFCON performance in decades. So?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 7:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Chukwueze just missed a very big chance. Although Pino was already offside so the chance won't be counted. But shaa what a big miss. Chuks gotta get his scoring acts together.

That one really shocked me. The brother virtually had the post at his mercy and he decided to blast wide. Reminds me of his miss against Sierra Leone. This is the same guy that burst onto the big stage with a reputation for stone-cold accurate R2 shots.

What in hell happened to Chukwueze?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

That one really shocked me. The brother virtually had the post at his mercy and he decided to blast wide. Reminds me of his miss against Sierra Leone. This is the same guy that burst onto the big stage with a reputation for stone-cold accurate R2 shots.

What in hell happened to Chukwueze?

Perhaps his legs need this "touch" again. 👇🏽👇🏽

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kwashiman: 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
Cc: TheSuperNerd

Considering our plethora of attacking options, do you think it's time to get creative and dynamic by using some of our wingers attacking Mids? I can see players like Gift Orban, Chukwueze, Tella and even Akpom etc excelling as creative forwards? we need to relieve Iwobi of the creative burdens and just allow him the luxury of orchestrating play as a libero type of midfielder?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2023
This can be explored optionally by using our creative/attack minded inverted wingers as Number 8s operating in the half spaces while the wingbacks will provide the width on both flanks. I saw an example of this with Nagelsmann's Bayern but again, the level of opposition must be considered because we won't want to experiment this against the top sides who have mastered their own approaches to attacking plays.

Also, not all our wingers can play that #8 role but some potentially can. Lookman is an example of one who can as I saw him in such role at some point this season for Atalanta.

Kwashiman:
Cc: TheSuperNerd

Considering our plethora of attacking options, do you think it's time to get creative and dynamic by using some of our wingers attacking Mids? I can see players like Gift Orban, Chukwueze, Tella and even Akpom etc excelling as creative forwards? we need to relieve Iwobi of the creative burdens and just allow him the luxury of orchestrating play as a libero type of midfielder?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:50pm On Apr 02, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Presently! And what has Brazil won in the last decade? Only Spain played that way in the last decade. Why? cos they had Iniesta, Fabregas and Xavi who play in the same team. Any team with those players or City type of players will definitely play that way! So rest all this impossible philosophy!

So your idea that a national team can't play that way is flawed.

That is why we need to scout and nurture the right players and play a refreshing pattern that will bring out the best in the team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:13pm On Apr 02, 2023
Chelsea has sacked Graham Potter oooo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

That is two geniuses sacked in a day grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:20pm On Apr 02, 2023
Rodgers sack good news for Nacho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:23pm On Apr 02, 2023
[quote author=maidaboi post=122234091][/quote]

Yea I saw it but no word from either Dakkada or Karvina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:24pm On Apr 02, 2023
zuchyblink:

Don't be too sure... The new manager might not prioritize an offensive style of play like Rodgers did... He might not even fancy him due to the confusion with which position suits him best... iMO,it's 50/50 for Nacho

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:26pm On Apr 02, 2023
Napoli down 2-0 at home to Milan....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 8:26pm On Apr 02, 2023
Milan dealing with Osimhen less Napoli

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:27pm On Apr 02, 2023
A new Sack Record in the PL.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Yea I saw it but no word from either Dakkada or Karvina.
ok let wait and see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:30pm On Apr 02, 2023
chrisooblog:
Milan dealing with Osimhen less Napoli

I want to wait until fulltime before I decide to call out that guy that always say Osimhen couldn't function without Kvara...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 8:35pm On Apr 02, 2023
No Osimhen...no party
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:38pm On Apr 02, 2023
Danielnino00:

I want to wait until fulltime before I decide to call out that guy that always say Osimhen couldn't function without Kvara...

This is just a pointer to those walking over ac Milan ….champions league spirit is different

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2023
elyte89:

This is just a pointer to those walking over ac Milan ….champions league spirit is different

Napoli beat Milan earlier this season at the San Siro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:49pm On Apr 02, 2023
zuchyblink:

It's good

so you guys will see than Iheanacho is his own problem

I pray the incoming coach gives him game time

Una eye go clear once!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ersonleads(m): 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2023
Napoli nor dey put body for the match cos it's a game plan.una nor dey see wetin I dey see

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2023
Ppogbae:
No Osimhen...no party
its very clear. The off the ball movement, winning of duels both aerial and ground of osimhen is very underestimated. It tells you more about the guy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 8:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
ersonleads:
Napoli nor dey put body for the match cos it's a game plan.una nor dey see wetin I dey see
not really. Milan is playing fantastically well with the loading of more players in the midfield. What napoli needs is a player like osimhen to stress the defence so that they pull back while the midfielders exchange strings of passes. This is where kvara functions effectively. Simeone is trying but he is not stressing the defence enough to attract the defensive midfielders to help in that case creating space in the midfield for napoli.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2023
chuks404:
not really. Milan is playing fantastically well with the loading of more players in the midfield. What napoli needs is a player like osimhen to stress the defence so that they pull back while the midfielders exchange strings of passes. This is where kvara functions effectively. Simeone is trying but he is not stressing the defence enough to attract the defensive midfielders to help in that case creating space in the midfield for napoli.
Apt

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:08pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Shocking. Boehly should have sacked himself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2023
European wants us to believe kvara is Napoli best player ,not taking anything away from him though

Napoli doesn’t look interested

Napoli are sitting at the top with huge points clear

Osimhen is a big force

I have passed my message

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2023
ersonleads:

Una don start 😹😹😹
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
And without Osimhen as well.

But today surely puts a dent to that 100% win record Napoli enjoyed without Osimhen. Milan truly are having fun in the absence of Napoli’s Main Man.

Danielnino00:

Napoli beat Milan earlier this season at the San Siro

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2023
Danielnino00:

That is two geniuses sacked in a day grin grin

On a serious note, I hope club managements learn from these two sacks. Allow the manager make his choices. Many execs in clubs are so full of themselves and want to form the brains behind success. However, it does not work that way.

A manager is as good as his system. As soon as he can't play his system, or lose belief in it, then he spirals down.

Look at Boehly for instance. Instead of sacking Tuchel, he should have given him Declan Rice. Tuchel believes in the philosophy of Declan Rice playing style and believed he would have added to his success.

Meanwhile, Boehly and co. sacked Tuchel, and then went on a shopping spree. They bought players based on their own ideology, forgetting that it is not their system that would be played.

The same goes for Brendan Rodgers. He did not like Iheanacho, and also wanted Eduard. He likely wanted other players but did not get the support.

I wish both managers the best and will keep my eyes out for them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:36pm On Apr 02, 2023
I was able to watch Kelechi Nwakali play today, especially in the second half.

They were these two long diagonal passes he gave, from defense to close to the right-side corner flag.

One got to its target and the other missed. However, the winger failed with his ball handling. In the first half, he gave another glorious pass to the striker which was wonderful.

I could imagine the likes of Osimhen, Lookman, Moffi, Chukwueze, and others receiving those kinds of passes. The young man really has a gift with his passes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2023
Napoli without osimhen is really a townhall different grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:40pm On Apr 02, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
We have a World Class Striker in Osimhen and Bad-ass Options who can step in whenever he is unavailable in Moffi, Orban, etc.

We have good enough Attacking Wingers. Inverted Wingers who can play on the inside or on the outside in Chukwueze, Lookman, Tella (potentially) etc.

We have a ball carrier and creative outlet who can get forward in Iwobi.

We have ball winning midfielders, few of whom can ball play and really help keep our transition from the first phase to the 2nd phase of build ups smooth.

What we lack is a midfield metronome. A temp setter and controller. This is where I see Kelechi Nwakali doing the job for us.
He is the guy who when paired with the right personnels in their role in a 433 or 4231... Will connect them all and we would see Chukwueze and his corresponding Winger on the left side receive the ball in a much different transition scenario than how they receive it now and will thus enable them be utilised to the best of their inverted abilities.

We need a tempo controller. And he alone doesn't work except with a ball playing ball winner/holding midfielder.

Beautiful take. Just matches what I stated above especially at the emboldened.

TheGoodJoe:
I was able to watch Kelechi Nwakali played today, especially in the second half.

They were these two long diagonal passes he gave, from defense to close to the right-side corner flag.

One got to its target and the other missed. However, the winger failed with his ball handling. In the first half, he gave another glorious pass to the striker which was wonderful.

I could imagine the likes of Osimhen, Lookman, Moffi, Chukwueze, and others receiving those kinds of passes. The young man really has a gift with his passes.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14410) (14411) (14412) (14413) (14414) (14415) (14416) ... (16163) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.