Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14536) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11634765 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14533) (14534) (14535) (14536) (14537) (14538) (14539) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:03pm On May 06, 2023
In my Twitter thread analysis of the team's midfield, I clearly pointed out Owoyemi's ball playing deficiencies. But what we cannot deny is his industry in that middle. Lad does the dirty work of marking, tackling, blocking some passing lanes and duelling. He is the water carrier in that middle, works so hard off the ball but is limited in his plays on the ball.

He is the lad tasked with disrupting the opposition team plays in the middle.

He complements Linus' top class on-the-ball cerebral qualities.

This is why I feel he is still needed. Also, he has an understanding with the team's two CBs. I would not want to break that now in the KOs.

Any other option in his role can come off the bench if need be. The likes of Adewale or Akinfenwa. Owoyemi's hardwork in the middle is actually unmatched by our other midfield options.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

solonnachi:

But Nerdie, I think Owoyemi (No 25) hits his ball too hard when trying to connect strikers. This was visible in the first half. Most times, Agada was frustrated at his crosses at times.

I also felt that Agada was too selfish with giving passes in the first half. Although he had his eyes on goal but most times failed to give passes to Abdullahi even when they were close.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:12pm On May 06, 2023
It is obvious. His small stature makes Ugbade doubts if he can handle the physical aspect of plays in the tournament but I believe Ugbade should take a long hard look at his decision again after seeing another small boy of similar stature to Olowoporoku, called Siyabonga Mabena of SA wreck havoc against physically superior lads in the game.

It isn't all about size alone. Brains and speed help and Olowoporoku has both.

mostob:
I don't know why Olowoporoku is not being given enough minute. From his brief cameo, his quality shown. He should start the next match. Linus will shield the defense, okowo will be the distributor and ball carrier while Owoyemi will supply the energy.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:20pm On May 06, 2023
MOTM in #RSANGA at the U17 Afcon.

Unsurprisingly, it is SA's little devil,😁grin Siyabonga Mabena #20.

The lad is small but a terror. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Why won't you win Man of the Match after scoring the goal of the tournament by bamboozling and skipping past two of my best defenders in rocksolid ball playing Ogboji and Jeremiah "the rock" olaleke? Boy! You deserve it.

Also was a terror to Lawali for good parts of the game. Got past our rolls royce Lawali several times and with ease. Mabena truly balled.

On another day though it would be Charles Agada.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:26pm On May 06, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
It is obvious. His small stature makes Ugbade doubts if he can handle the physical aspect of plays in the tournament but I believe Ugbade should take a long hard look at his decision again after seeing another small boy of similar stature to Olowoporoku, called Siyabonga Mabena of SA wreck havoc against physically superior lads in the game.

I agree with you. Actually, players with small stature can be stubborn. Silva, Bernardo, Messi, Cazorla, Mata. Infact, they stand a high chance of winning FKs and even penalties. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:40pm On May 06, 2023
Match highlights..... We just keep improving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZLbKn_N3gY

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Donmobi(m): 12:27am On May 07, 2023
COOL10:
We scored just 3 goals from 12 shots on target meanwhile South Africa scored two goals from three shots on target.
That there is the sad reality of it all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NwaIdeato: 1:07am On May 07, 2023
It's noteworthy that an interesting and refreshing generation of brilliant midfielders are churning out from our youth teams, with the likes of Ndidi, Iwobi etc entering the twilight of their careers due to fitness issues etc, these young generation should be taking over the midfield in very short notice.

Akinsanmiro
Eletu
Daniel Daga
Samson Lawal
Hope Linus

Are definitely one's to watch so far

Cc: TheSuperNerd what do you think?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:32am On May 07, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

So I am wrong about Abdullahi because he managed to score one offside tap-in after displaying crass carpentry all day long?

I will say it again. Abdullahi does not deserve to be in that team, talk more of starting games.
and it have nothing to do with nepotism or whatever it is you implied, some coaches just love playing some players for reasons known to them

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 5:37am On May 07, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
MOTM in #RSANGA at the U17 Afcon.

Unsurprisingly, it is SA's little devil,😁grin Siyabonga Mabena #20.

The lad is small but a terror. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Why won't you win Man of the Match after scoring the goal of the tournament by bamboozling and skipping past two of my best defenders in rocksolid ball playing Ogboji and Jeremiah "the rock" olaleke? Boy! You deserve it.

Also was a terror to Lawali for good parts of the game. Got past our rolls royce Lawali several times and with ease. Mabena truly balled.

On another day though it would be Charles Agada.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:49am On May 07, 2023
jihday:

Ndukka Ugbade is a wonderful coach. I see a bright future for him. I was so impressed with that second-half display. You could see how wonderfully he can get a team to play.

I just hope he ditches the long balls-long shots strategy and allow the team to play sound possession football and we will go places with these lads.

Nice gesture from Ugbade towards Mabena. Impressive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:58am On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Ndukka Ugbade is a wonderful coach. I see a bright future for him. I was so impressed with that second-half display. You could see how wonderfully he can get a team to play.

I just hope he ditches the long balls-long shots strategy and allow the team to play sound possession football and we will go places with these lads.

Nice gesture from Ugbade towards Mabena. Impressive.

This team has really played well.
They just need to improve on their scoring tactics.
Their inability to create scoring chances early in games makes them labor so much to score goals.
I really love their Physicality, industry and stamina even at their young age. They typically boss their opponents around. Nearly all of them are very comfortable on the ball.

I just pray they will be able to scale through Burkina Faso or Cameroon in that Quarter Final.

Overall they have had a very fine team display.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:06am On May 07, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

This Olowoporoku is even smaller than Siyabonga o. Reminds me of Chigozie Obasi of 2013 Class.

Please where is that small boy back then that captained the U13/U15 team. I have forgotten his name. He used to tighten his shorts with rope grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:25am On May 07, 2023
mancoconut:

Ideato North, Akokwa
Imagine oh. Brothers go dey faceless forum dey insult each other oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:37am On May 07, 2023
komekn:

Every post is time limited and the context is HERE and NOW.

Nwakali left Huesca without any contract, his contract was terminated as soon as legally possible. He was a player without contract.

He has spent two seasons in the Segunda division being exceptional and oustandingly amazing. That the only club that would take him was Ponferradina FC a bankrupt club and taking almost permanent abode in the relegation zone.

In other words, from the bolded, anything can happen tomorrow. If I can get you correctly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:46am On May 07, 2023
NwaIdeato:
It's noteworthy that an interesting and refreshing generation of brilliant midfielders are churning out from our youth teams, with the likes of Ndidi, Iwobi etc entering the twilight of their careers due to fitness issues etc, these young generation should be taking over the midfield in very short notice.

Akinsanmiro
Eletu
Daniel Daga
Samson Lawal
Hope Linus

Are definitely one's to watch so far

Cc: TheSuperNerd what do you think?

Wow 😲 Wow 😳

They haven't played first team senior football ⚽ and you want them to take over from Iwobi. Iwobi is 27 (true age) and has a good 6/7 years more of top level competitive football left at least.

Youth football even more so at U17 level is essentially talent yet to be developed, potential yet to be realised. As best it's indicative but very far from conclusive.

What is more pertinent is the development programme, otherwise it will just be promise never realised.

This is where mainland Europe get it so right, as well as the South Americans. It's quite normal to see boys graduate from the academy at 16 to be playing week in week out in the first Team (mens football).

When you play with men it's totally different from youth football. In addition you are on a far higher quicker and qualitative development progression, compared to playing youth football ⚽.

It's this mindset that has left too many of you in a misguided view even delusional, with regards to Nwakali. Had a great U17 World 🌎 cup and you are still waiting for him to be the next Pogba 8 years later.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:50am On May 07, 2023
comodo:

In other words, from the bolded, anything can happen tomorrow. If I can get you correctly.

There is reasonable informed knowledge based projection. Based on capacity, past present continuous improvement.

And there's is wishful thinking 🧐.

So do you think Nwakali tomorrow can play for Napoli❓

Maybe in your dreams πŸ˜΄πŸ’­
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 9:51am On May 07, 2023
But was Abubakar not in an offside position prior to the goal he scored?
CAF is a joke, VAR is too important for a competition that will produce its representatives at the world stage
Using VAR now will give the boys high sense of beating the offside trap which can be frustrating
CAF can do better than this walahi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:55am On May 07, 2023
komekn:

There is reasonable informed knowledge based projection. Based on capacity, past present continuous improvement.

And there's is wishful thinking 🧐.

So do you think Nwakali tomorrow can play for Napoli❓

Maybe in your dreams πŸ˜΄πŸ’­

Yes why not. Or you don't know that some players are late bloomers??. So why not. Unless you want to play God. Choupo moting is in Bayern. If you were the coach, would you have bought him?. That's grace. Nwakali can get that same grace.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:08am On May 07, 2023
comodo:

Yes why not. Or you don't know that some players are late bloomers??. So why not. Unless you want to play God. Choupo moting is in Bayern. If you were the coach, would you have bought him?. That's grace. Nwakali can get that same grace.

The basis for selection is continuous consistent oustanding performance, in any team , in comparison to the players available.

What would be the criteria for Nwakali selection ❓

Choupo-Moting is not relevant he has never had to beg for a club and always overwhelmingly played in the top 5 first tier league of Europe. He is not a great striker but he does a competent job.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:20am On May 07, 2023
I was expecting a number of you to pick this up , maybe you did and I didn't notice. I am talking about Michael Folabi Dokunmu.

He came over to England when he was about U13 or thereabouts. Was on trial with several North West premier League clubs.

Indeed Man city wanted to sign him but restrictions on foreign players,etc stalled the move.

That boy went back to S.A. then came to Holland and now at 16 has played first team football for Vitesse Arnhem in the Eredivise.

He is playing for South Africa and played against Nigeria yesterday. Not sure he could have got selected for Nigeria anyway.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:45am On May 07, 2023

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:01pm On May 07, 2023
oloriooko:
CAF is a joke, VAR is too important for a competition that will produce its representatives at the world stage
Using VAR now will give the boys high sense of beating the offside trap which can be frustrating

He could have had another offside goal against Morocco. If not for head to head, it would have been a costly mistake because Zambia would then go through on goal difference.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:40pm On May 07, 2023
Watching Sheffield Wednesday against Derby County.

Sheffield Wednesday have three Nigerian in the team, two Midfielder and one defender.

Fisayo is good quality, l can see why AC Milan put in a bid for him. He has refused to sign a new contract and he will be a free agent with a duplicity of clubs lined up to sign him.

Both in England and in Europe, with all the money πŸ€‘ going straight to him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:49pm On May 07, 2023
Light Eke plays football like Gabriel Jesus
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:50pm On May 07, 2023
komekn:
Watching Sheffield Wednesday against Derby County.

Sheffield Wednesday have three Nigerian in the team, two Midfielder and one defender.

Fisayo is good quality, l can see why AC Milan put in a bid for him. He has refused to sign a new contract and he will be a free agent with a duplicity of clubs lined up to sign him.

Both in England and in Europe, with all the money πŸ€‘ going straight to him.

Is he gonna be a free agent in the summer?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 1:52pm On May 07, 2023
Guys will Napoli win today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelxxy(m): 2:15pm On May 07, 2023
ChrisKels:
Light Eke plays football like Gabriel Jesus
i will say more of mbappe but not explosive though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BronzeTiger: 2:23pm On May 07, 2023
Clint02:
Guys will Napoli win today?
Why not? This is their first home game after them being confirmed as champions after 33 years so I expect them to put up a show. If not for Ochoa's heroics they might have battered salernitana last week.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:37pm On May 07, 2023
Danish-Nigerian, Tochi Chukwuani scores for Lyngby FK vs FC Midtjylland in Denmark. His first league goal of the 22_23 season in 19 games.

A Central Midfielder who got a move to Hellas Verona from FC Nordsjaelland but it fell through due to failed medicals.

He is 20 yrs old now. Was already balling in midfield at age 17 for FCN in the Danish Super Liga back in 2019/20.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 2:49pm On May 07, 2023
BronzeTiger:

Why not? This is their first home game after them being confirmed as champions after 33 years so I expect them to put up a show. If not for Ochoa's heroics they might have battered salernitana last week.
Alright nice,I expect them to win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:58pm On May 07, 2023
oloriooko:

That was actually offside. We got lucky there. The boys got rewarded for their industry and the ball and movement was really very fast that the asst referees were not able to spot the offside.

Nduka Ugbade really has a lot of work to do in coaching those boys how to stay onside while attacking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14533) (14534) (14535) (14536) (14537) (14538) (14539) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Damioduso1, cc12(m), Kog45(m), M7even(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.