Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,103 members, 7,835,727 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14539) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11781294 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14536) (14537) (14538) (14539) (14540) (14541) (14542) ... (16193) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:22pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

All round. National team performance is part of a player's career. Zidane is a great player. De Bruyne is not. Shikena

Na wa. It seems you have not watched or followed De Bruyne. He was recently voted the best midfielder in the history of the English Premier league. De Bruyne was best player in Germany playing for Wolfsburg and beat players in Dortmund and Bayern. Ahead of the likes of Robben and Ribery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:23pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Impact wey no reach national team.
I respect KDB. In this era of bland mechanical football I still look forward to his passes and vision

But the guy just lack this...this presence synonymous with the greats.

IMO I believe that if he retires today very few will look back on him with nostalgia

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:27pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Look at this excerpt from Reddit.
Excerpt from a random fan

But let's go by it. You see the praise of Zidane's artistry? Yeah that's what we are talking about

I was able to watch Zidane only in his twilight years because of when I came to earth. But I have watched KDB keenly since 2015

I have no nostalgia whatsoever of what KDB brings to the table

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:28pm On May 07, 2023
CornOak:

He fought to take the second PK. Their captain wanted to take it but Osimehn insisted.

Glad to see him taking up the responsibility.

That's what he should had been doing since, by now, he might had mastered, the art of scoring those PKs, and so doing stat pad, and be topping the scorers chart with 30 to 40 goals

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:33pm On May 07, 2023
Odunayaw:

But let's go by it. You see the praise of Zidane's artistry? Yeah that's what we are talking about

I was able to watch Zidane only in his twilight years because of when I came to earth. But I have watched KDB keenly since 2015

You don't even have nostalgia for the modern game, let alone understand the tactical impact de Bruyne brings to a game.

So you can stick to watching nostalgic skills but football has gone way passed that, that is why De Bruyne has scored far more career goals and made more career assists in a shorter time.

I watched Zidane as a young lad in Bordeaux.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:36pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Look at this excerpt from Reddit.
Doesn't touch my point. Zidane is clear of De Bruyne. Was a decider in France 98. Single handedly at 35 or so dragged France to WC final in 2006 dwarfing an in form Ronaldinho in the unforgettable match against a star studded Brazilian team.
Won World Best three times (would have been 4 but for the unfortunate incident of head butting Matarazzi) in an era that was littered with stars.
Abeg oo. Abeg o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:40pm On May 07, 2023
Odunayaw:

Just an effective machine player (pass, pass, pass) who once he retires will be consigned to the dusty files of football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:42pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

You don't even have nostalgia for the modern game, let alone understand the tactical impact de Bruyne brings to a game.

So you can stick to watching nostalgic skills but football has gone way passed that, that is why De Bruyne has scored far more career goals and made more career assists in a shorter time.

I watched Zidane as a young lad in Bordeaux.
You have made no point

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:44pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Just an effective machine player (pass, pass, pass) who once he retires will be consigned to the dusty files of football.
Without any disrespect to KDB, you are correct
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:45pm On May 07, 2023
Odunayaw:
I respect KDB. In this era of bland mechanical football I still look forward to his passes and vision

IMO I believe that if he retires today very few will look back on him with nostalgia
Didn't read the bolded before I said the same thing in quoting you above.

Haba. Even 200 list of great players, his name will not be there. He's done nothing remarkable!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:46pm On May 07, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Osimhen misses from the Spot!!!

Seems he hasn't mastered this PK thing just yet. Little wonder he has been avoiding it and giving it to everyone else.

The Football Gods probably want all his goals this season to be NPG. ๐Ÿ˜‚

There are very few players who have mastered penalties but Victor avoids nothing on the football field. Not only did he step up for the second penalty, he went in the exact direction as the first. That shows a player who trusts in the hard work he has put in.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:48pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Doesn't touch my point. Zidane is clear of De Bruyne. Was a decider in France 98. Single handedly at 35 or so dragged France to WC final in 2006 dwarfing an in form Ronaldinho in the unforgettable match against a star studded Brazilian team.
Won World Best three times (would have been 4 but for the unfortunate incident of head butting Matarazzi) in an era that was littered with stars.
Abeg oo. Abeg o

First of all, you are using few games to rate Zidane's career.

France 98, Zidane was not even top 6 players for France. He got a red card, was suspended the next game, and was suspended by Aime Jacquet. In the game he got a red card, he did not even play fully.

He was not on the level of Petit when it comes to contribution, or Djorkaeff, Lizarazu or Thuram.

Getting a chance to score two headers from corner kicks in the final did not make him the best player or key to France winning that cup. Heck, Thuram even scored two goals in a game, I think against Italy.

He was brilliant for France in 2006 but De Bruyne is doing these in many games.

No one doubt Zidane's quality and brilliance. However, De Bruyne is a far more effective player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:51pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Didn't read the bolded before I said the same thing in quoting you above.

Haba. Even 200 list of great players, his name will not be there. He's done nothing remarkable!

It is because you guys are looking for leg overs.

We are talking of stats proving how De Bruyne is a far more effective player than Zidane.

You want to rate guys statistically worse than Zidane ahead of De Bruyne. That tells the whole story of you guys naivety when it concerns football impact.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:55pm On May 07, 2023
Odunayaw:
You have made no point

Skills today is not as effective as passing intellect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:56pm On May 07, 2023
Lol... the whole post was clearly a joke. Surprised it flew over you.

Players miss and score pens and I knew Vic will score the second. So it's all good.

BascoVanVeli:

There are very few players who have mastered penalties but Victor avoids nothing on the football field. Not only did he step up for the second penalty, he went in the exact direction as the first. That shows a player who trusts in the hard work he has put in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:59pm On May 07, 2023
U17 Afcon Update

So Burkina Faso U17 vs Cameroun U17 kicks off in a minute and we would finally know who we play in the Quarter finals.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:05pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

We are talking of stats proving how De Bruyne is a far more effective player than Zidane.

You want to rate guys statistically worse than Zidane ahead of De Bruyne. That tells the whole story of you guys naivety when it concerns football impact.

Finito.
You have an overbloated estimation of your understanding of football because you who is inconsequential(no disrespect but fact, even me I am inconsequential) is substituting your opinion for that of world football and reputable clubs where Zidane has won several individual awards. He won world best three times, Ballon D'or once, 2 times player of tournaments (2000 Euros and WC 06) and many other individual and team awards. Before I continue this conversation with you, show me comparable awards won by De Bruyne. I no get time for baseless debate.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:06pm On May 07, 2023
#11 Bougma of Burkina Faso just missed the easiest chance of this U17 Afcon. From bloody 2 yards out. Just tap it in Son but noooooo he ballooned it. Not a 1 on 1. It was a 1 on 0.

Damn! Should have been 1-0 up vs Cameroun.

Well, they are kids. Mistakes will be made. It is part of their growth and development.

Recall Bougma was also at the WafuB Qualifiers and played against us.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:07pm On May 07, 2023
You dey smoke igbo @Goodjoe! lol. Die this talk abeg!! Debruyne is just like the Van Nistelrooy of strikers.
TheGoodJoe:

First of all, you are using few games to rate Zidane's career.

France 98, Zidane was not even top 6 players for France. He got a red card, was suspended the next game, and was suspended by Aime Jacquet. In the game he got a red card, he did not even play fully.

He was not on the level of Petit when it comes to contribution, or Djorkaeff, Lizarazu or Thuram.

Getting a chance to score two headers from a corner kick did not make him the best player or key to France winning that cup. Heck, Thuram even scored two goals in a game, I think against Italy.

He was brilliant for France in 2006 but De Bruyne is doing these in many games.

No one doubt Zidane's quality and brilliance. However, De Bruyne is a far more effective player.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:23pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Finito.
Iniesta or KDB?
Who do you think is better?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:24pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

You have an overbloated estimation of your understanding of football because you who is inconsequential(no disrespect but fact, even me I am inconsequential) is substituting your opinion for that of world football and reputable clubs where Zidane has won several individual awards. He won world best three times, Ballon D'or once, 2 times player of tournaments (2000 Euros and WC 06) and many other individual and team awards. Before I continue this conversation with you, show me comparable awards won by De Bruyne. I no get time for baseless debate.

First of all, Zidane's 98 ballon d'or was fake. Ronaldo De Lima without doubt was the best player.

The point is simple. It is not about being consequential or not.

Modern game is a stats game. When it concerns the modern game, stats rule. When it concerns effectiveness, De Bruyne rules all the midfielders.

Not awards or ceremonious titles.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26pm On May 07, 2023
mostob:
Iniesta or KDB?
Who do you think is better?

Kevin De Bruyne is far more effective. Should we compare their productive stats?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 8:41pm On May 07, 2023
andrew444:
See as una Dey happy

Na golden boot go kee all of us grin

I no wan talk wetin dey my mind

Una go come for my head

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:48pm On May 07, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
#11 Bougma of Burkina Faso just missed the easiest chance of this U17 Afcon. From bloody 2 yards out. Just tap it in Son but noooooo he ballooned it. Not a 1 on 1. It was a 1 on 0.

Damn! Should have been 1-0 up vs Cameroun.

Well, they are kids. Mistakes will be made. It is part of their growth and development.

Recall Bougma was also at the WafuB Qualifiers and played against us.

#MDU17AfconDiaries

Both teams might just play for a draw since it favours them, thereby denying South Africa a ticket
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 8:49pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Impact wey no reach national team.
heโ€™s not a clutch player, no memorable game to hold on to, just dey use Fulham and the likes to stat pad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 8:51pm On May 07, 2023
Odunayaw:

didnโ€™t even see this before I made my post
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:52pm On May 07, 2023
jihday:
heโ€™s not a clutch player, no memorable game to hold on to, just dey use Fulham and the likes to stat pad
Everybody knows this my brother. I had to leave the argument before baba Joe take me down the orwellian path where black is white and white is black
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:58pm On May 07, 2023
Blueelf:

I no wan talk wetin dey my mind

Una go come for my head

grin grin

Come o, a few weeks ago, you were saying we won't win any of our remaining games, but we've won 6 on the bounce ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:00pm On May 07, 2023
Mujtahida:

Everybody knows this my brother. I had to leave the argument before baba Joe take me down the orwellian path where black is white and white is black

De Bruyne will pass as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation.. Absolutely no doubt about that.. But for the best midfielder of all time, I doubt it..
One thing that made players like Zidane so special was their influence for both club and country...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 9:08pm On May 07, 2023
Why is it that whenever a black athlete sees a little success they mostly go for white women but their white counterparts will never even flirt with a black girl. I hear Osimhen is dating a German girl but before he was this big black girls were his type.

What is really up with the black man?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:11pm On May 07, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Kevin De Bruyne is far more effective. Should we compare their productive stats?
No need boss...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 9:14pm On May 07, 2023
Omanambala:
Why is it that whenever a black athlete sees a little success they mostly go for white women but their white counterparts will never even flirt with a black girl. I hear Osimhen is dating a German girl but before he was this big black girls were his type.

What is really up with the black man?

Your submission lacks context.

Osimhen has obviously gone to great lengths to keep his private life private, but his relationship with the lady probably dates back to his time in Germany at the worst time in his career. The lady even has a daughter for him so I really do not think it's recent.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14536) (14537) (14538) (14539) (14540) (14541) (14542) ... (16193) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Jefersoun, 10cedes, ddone, ThanosKilla(m), Napoleon55(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.