Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,988 members, 7,852,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1462) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11878919 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1459) (1460) (1461) (1462) (1463) (1464) (1465) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:02pm On Sep 07, 2017
freshest4live:

But if they dominated Germany or ltaly that same way to win by thesame one goal margin, would you criticize Germany this way? Wouldn't you say the Germans played a tactical game of defence /counter attack but lost marginally?

probably because they wouldn't outplay them as much as they did us. This isn't about goal margin, that 1-0 loss to Argentina could have been anything from 4-0 upwards
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2017
Napoleon55:
did u know that we have defeated Spain in a WC game,where were all their barca and real madrid players then with their technical ability?,oga stop pretending as lf u know jack about football,we have never been disgraced by any big team in a world cup game.

this is 2017, not 1998. Denmark did not disgrace us, they destroyed us. Disgracing isn't even about the scoreline, it's about being outplayed totally and outclassed, we have received that quite a number of times

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2017
Joebie:
Well it's a debate.. IMO, none of those performances you mentioned match the one in question. I can definitely go back to watch them again.

watch the first one most especially
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:07pm On Sep 07, 2017
Na because of people like Mikael2 e de pain me say we couldn't assemble our best u-23s for the last Olympics. All this talk of Germany, Brazil wouldn't have surface. Baba take ya time. undecidedNa because of people like Mikael2 e de pain me say we couldn't assemble our best u-23s for the last Olympics. All this talk of Germany, Brazil wouldn't have surface. Baba take ya time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:08pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

we actually played very well against Spain but that's why they are a top team, ruthless. We totally outplayed Uruguay but we lost. That's the thing, top teams punish you for any mistake
Mistakes that we weren't ready to work on then. So just agree this team is a far leap from those times. Didnt you notice the way everyone played to support a team mate in a tight corner? Just relax, we would soon have our Alves and Marcelo soon. Echiejile won't play always. There was teamwork to a great level against cmr. I however suggest you rewatch the match in Uyo.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
Me sef i don't understand this argument.

The real question is, are there any untested outfield players in the team, excluding the latest new invitees?
I believe all have played at one point in time (friendlies or not). Let's start from there. And I could be wrong with my assumption.

Humility017:

then we should stop inviting 23 players...
it is outright nonsense when we already know those to play and those not to play...

this double standard leaves me surpised...
let me tell....You see some of those players i
on bench could have even done much better than some on the field that day...

even rohr with all due respect is not a world class coach per se....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:10pm On Sep 07, 2017
AIG07:
Na because of people like Mikael2 e de pain me say we couldn't assemble our best u-23s for the last Olympics. All this talk of Germany, Brazil wouldn't have surface. Baba take ya time. undecidedNa because of people like Mikael2 e de pain me say we couldn't assemble our best u-23s for the last Olympics. All this talk of Germany, Brazil wouldn't have surface. Baba take ya time.

wetin Olympics dey find for world cup?

Out of that german team at the olympics how many dey go this world cup? Highest 2, how many dey first eleven? Zero

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:11pm On Sep 07, 2017
haha.. type it a third time.. grin
AIG07:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2017
AIG07:
even Maradona attested to this. We gave them a run for their money.

A team which had the likes of Tevez, Messi, Aguero, Milito, Samuel, Heinze, etc.
Even France didnt outplay us. Unless outplay has a new meaning. Outplay cases are: Liverpool vs Arsenal, man u vs Arsenal.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:16pm On Sep 07, 2017
daveP:
Mistakes that we weren't ready to work on then. So just agree this team is a far leap from those times. Didnt you notice the way everyone played to support a team mate in a tight corner? Just relax, we would soon have our Alves and Marcelo soon. Echiejile won't play always. There was teamwork to a great level against cmr. I however suggest you rewatch the match in Uyo.

that's pure hype because he is white. That team at the Afcon 2013 was brilliant and they played very well, they definetly played better than we did against Cameroon in the return leg. Watch that match against Bosnia, we were technically better than them and the scoreline will even deceive you that it was a close game, we were totally better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:17pm On Sep 07, 2017
daveP:
Even France didnt outplay us. Unless outplay has a new meaning. Outplay cases are: Liverpool vs Arsenal, man u vs Arsenal.

France no follow my top team brother. And Maradona never said something like that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

that was why we scored 4 goals in that game, oh wait, we didn't. How many shots on target? Oh wait, none. I must mention one great chance that one northerner like that missed, apart from that the highlight of Mikel's match in that game was a driving run through the middle. Since Mikel didn't create any good chance doesn't that mean the DMF did his work?

Why are you talking in circles? You said Busquets will reduce Mikel's effect. The same Busquets Mikel used to make more name than Maradona. Now you are talking how many did we score. That is shifting goal post.

Are you sure you watched the game? Mikel made good passes. The forwards let the team down. At least watch the Mikel vs Spain highlight.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

2goals in 2 games. If we count the U20 and Olympics we have 4 in 4, your point is?
i meant to say how many goals has he scored in an open play,not through set piece?
as good as he is,he has not been able to get pass our defence and score,how much more all these players u were afraid of .
and i can't a
remember any other goal Messi has scored SE apart from d one of last WC.,has it occurred to u that any Nigeria team don't have regard to any big name players,whether u b messi,ronaldo,maradona? they will just approach u same like others,make look like others,think about that.
and my point is,from d way u were sounding,one would thought that we can never stand any chance against any big team at all,that they were going to tore us to shreds .
the truth is that we can defeat any team in the world on our good day, only Brazil and Germany that seems impossible but still possible.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by freshest4live: 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

probably because they wouldn't outplay them as much as they did us. This isn't about goal margin, that 1-0 loss to Argentina could have been anything from 4-0 upwards
I saw Spain outplay Germany in the same 2010 World cup semifinal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
This isnt hype, but no top team can punish us the way the Germans did to Brazil (even when our keyman/men are down/out at the world cup) we have too much pride to allow that happen. Why it seems so painful over the past years is because of the goal margin that made fans aggrieved and the on pitch attitude/loss of drive.(2002/10 WC) Today i believe all that have changed.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Why are you talking in circles? You said Busquets will reduce Mikel's effect. The same Busquets Mikel used to make more name than Maradona. Now you are talking how many did we score. That is shifting goal post.

Are you sure you watched the game? Mikel made good passes. The forwards let the team down. At least watch the Mikel vs Spain highlight.

maybe you should watch. There was only one clear cut chance all game, for one guy like that from the local league. Mikel's influence was at the exact center, nowhere close to their box, what's Busq's business there? Maybe you should watch that game again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

France no follow my top team brother. And Maradona never said something like that
He did, but i rest my cases.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

you see the points you made have one thing in common, all these aren't what I am saying. Moses started out on the right, he switched to the left to help Echejile I know all that, ok maybe the point isn't teamwork exactly that I should call it.....ehm what do you call a situation where all your attacks are emanating from one side or one person? One dimensional? Then that's my point. Every single attacking move had one thing in common, Mikeloses. Moses Simon generated ZERO attack and apart from one nice play in the first half Ndidi was dormant too, Onazi generated one attack that led to a goal as well and our fullbacks generated NONE. That's the point I am making, shut down Mikeloses and our attack is buried.

In defence, overload Echejile's wing and Balogun may not survive it, we will never know if Ekong can cover for Balogun because the cameroonians never utilised the oppurtunity. So maybe it isn't teamwork so to say, kinda one dimensional, too one-dimensional for a great team

So saying the victory was down to individual brilliance and not team works wrong. There was loads of teamwork in the match. When we are to play Spain or any other top team, we will strategize and prepare for them. It is not as bad as you make it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

maybe you should watch. There was only one clear cut chance all game, for one guy like that from the local league. Mikel's influence was at the exact center, nowhere close to their box, what's Busq's business there? Maybe you should watch that game again

Off the top of my head, I remember the through ball to Musa that Musa mistimed his run.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mujtahida:

Read again: that is if we beat Zambia.

That is why I pointed out the mentality of the person thinking of Algeria when we're not done with Zambia.

The only reason for such mentality is overconfidence and e don dey worry dem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2017
freshest4live:

I saw Spain outplay Germany in the same 2010 World cup semifinal.

are you sure you watched the game? I can post a youtube link too, it was one of my favourite games at the world cup because of how tactically astute both teams were. How did they even score
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:24pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Off the top of my head, I remember the through ball to Musa that Musa mistimed his run.

that was an offside, I didn't know offsides count in your own football game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
safarigirl:
only two regulars in the last team have not played- Alampasu (goalie) and Aina....everyone else has played and anyone else being invited will still play.

All the outfield players will play. Watch and see

Firstly? How many times has Aina been invited that makes him a regular?

If you say everyone that has been invited in the course of this campaign must play remember also that Jamiu Alimi, Kingsley Madu, Rabiu Ali, Stephen Odey, Noah Bazee, Uche Agbo, Anthony Nwakaeme, Aaron Samuel, Emmanuel Daniel have all been invited at one time or the other.

So according to you they must all play.

More players will still be invited in the near or later future. They all must also play right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

Mikel played ten and Busquets played four. Busquets had no means in diminishing Mikel's effect. Mikel took one shot close to the box. Another I think inside the box that was blocked. So saying just center is a mirage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:26pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

that's pure hype because he is white. That team at the Afcon 2013 was brilliant and they played very well, they definetly played better than we did against Cameroon in the return leg. Watch that match against Bosnia, we were technically better than them and the scoreline will even deceive you that it was a close game, we were totally better
Wow. u really are saying this. def against bosnia gave us hbp. did oyinbo wall do that in both legs. big NO. Afcon team had star players and drive to win, but lots of unwarranted lapses which this new team have gotten rid off wit teamwork.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:27pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

that was an offside, I didn't know offsides count in your own football game

So you do not know that is a chance created. The midfielder did his job but the forward failed to capitalize on it. With a forward who times his run to perfection, that is a well created chance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:29pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Mikel played ten and Busquets played four. Busquets had no means in diminishing Mikel's effect. Mikel took one shot close to the box. Another I think inside the box that was blocked. So saying just center is a mirage.

Sunday Mba played that game as the AMF, he was Busq's business all game long and we both know he didn't move.

The way you said this is just pure primary school football where they play 4-2-4 formation and you tell your 4 to go and mark their 10. Here they have a 10 and an AMF, your 4 marks the Amf
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:32pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So you do not know that is a chance created. The midfielder did his job but the forward failed to capitalize on it. With a forward who times his run to perfection, that is a well created chance.

this is why you said Iheanacho won aerial duels when he never did. Oga, we can as well say the pass was misplaced, it does not count anywhere in the world, just like hitting the bar isn't a shot on target
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

Sunday Mba played that game as the AMF, he was Busq's business all game long and we both know he didn't move.

The way you said this is just pure primary school football where they play 4-2-4 formation and you tell your 4 to go and mark their 10. Here they have a 10 and an AMF, your 4 marks the Amf

But Busquets could not diminish Mikel, Abi? You were totally wrong there. You are making it look like Busquets is one defensive genius. Give Mikel Busquets, I can bet my three months salary. Mikel will skin him alive. That one is a sure Banker.

Is it not Busquets I have watched very well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:35pm On Sep 07, 2017
Mickael2:

this is why you said Iheanacho won aerial duels when he never did. Oga, we can as well say the pass was misplaced, it does not count anywhere in the world, just like hitting the bar isn't a shot on target

It is chance created. If a midfielder creates a good chance and the forward makes a bad run, does it mean the chance was not created. Now you are jumping to Iheanacho. You can not talk without Iheanacho. Busquets can not diminish Mikel. The same Busquets lots of people have skinned. If you are talking people like Vidal or Rakitic, I can understand but Busquets. Tah.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:36pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

But Busquets could not diminish Mikel, Abi? You were totally wrong there. You are making it look like Busquets is one defensive genius. Give Mikel Busquets, I can bet my three months salary. Mikel will skin him alive. That one is a sure Banker.

Is it not Busquets I have watched very well.

I wonder how you talk sometimes. Oga, in that game Mikel played as the CMF not Amf, so Busq had no business with him. Currently Mikel plays as our Amf so Busq will have a serious business with him, does that make sense now? Which Mikel will skin Busquets? Something the best Amfs in the world couldn't do, ask Ozil
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:37pm On Sep 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It is chance created. If a midfielder creates a good chance and the forward makes a bad run, does it mean the chance was not created. Now you are jumping to Iheanacho. You can not talk without Iheanacho. Busquets can not diminish Mikel. The same Busquets lots of people have skinned. If you are talking people like Vidal or Rakitic, I can understand but Busquets. Tah.

Rakitic isn't even a dmf.

Oga, offsides are not counted as chances created, go and ask anybody

(1) (2) (3) ... (1459) (1460) (1461) (1462) (1463) (1464) (1465) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), mhiztalee(m), ddone and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.