Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14639) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11706263 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14636) (14637) (14638) (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AmehTsaev: 9:33pm On May 24, 2023
Cc:TheSuperNerd

We're waiting for your ever brilliant analysis of the game.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 9:34pm On May 24, 2023
German footballing legend Lothar Matthäus is a Bundesliga champion, World Cup winner, Ballon d'Or winner, television pundit — and now football club owner after buying Ghana Premier League side Accra Lions.

Together with business partners Oliver König, a former German player agent, and former Ghanaian international Frank Acheampong, Matthäus is keen to develop talent in West Africa and open up a route to Europe for young players.

"Of course it's a business model," the 62-year-old told German tabloid Bild. "Ghana has always had huge potential in terms of talent, and you can see that in the national team."

Founded in 2015 and are currently ninth in the Ghanaian top flight, the Accra Lions are valued at $2 million (€1.85 million) by Transfermarkt, although details of the level of Matthäus' personal investment have not been disclosed.

"We want to bring young players to Europe in a serious way and already well-trained," the former Bayern Munich star said. That's why we're also investing in the training ground here."

One of Matthäus' new partners, Frankfurt player agent König who had reportedly built extensive contacts in West Africa, joined Accra Lions in January as chairman.

König's sporting director is an acquaintance from the Bundesliga, Ibrahim Tanko, 45, a Ghanaian who played at both Borussia Dortmund and SCFreiburg, and spent time as a scout and coach at Cologne.

The third part of the ownership triangle, Acheampong, a 29-year old Ghanaian national team player is now suiting up in the Chinese Super League. He has played professionally in Ghana, Thailand and for Belgium's first-tier Anderlecht club.

As a Bundesliga Legend and ambassador, Matthäus has spent a significant amount of time in Ghana.

His investment of time and mentorship in Ghana has now been followed by a financial investment meant to reap rewards for individuals with eyes on European football.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 9:35pm On May 24, 2023
Odunayaw:
Now, for the bullets

Prophet of Baal verified ✅

Should we wake you out of shock now

I hope you've won the Olympic medal for the race

Ọgbọn sodiki, you ran to delete the message but I caught you tongue

Where the basket now

lolll

you have all their receipts

especially that uncouth felow throwing insults up and down

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 9:36pm On May 24, 2023
Blueelf:

lolll

you have all their receipts

especially that uncouth felow throwing insults up and down

grin grin grin

The uncouth fellow no get name?🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 9:37pm On May 24, 2023
quickberry:

The uncouth fellow no get name?🤣🤣🤣

he knows himself

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:38pm On May 24, 2023
Nigeria U20 Flying Eagles continue their fearless/menacing displays: Humbles Brazillian Conquerors 2-0 - Part 1

MOTM for me is Benjamin Frederick

#21 Chijioke Aniagboso looks quite unbeatable between the sticks. Confident in the air and a good shot stopper. Also looks kinda comfortable with the ball at his feet. Bagged an assist for the second goal via classical route 1 football

#3 Solomon Agbalaka was solid defensively for the most parts but was a bit shaky in the first half which saw him forget the tenets of Penalty box defending. He was lucky not to concede a penalty after VAR review shows an Italian foul preceding his handball in the box. His crosses caused a few problems in the final third.

#6 Daniel Bameyi surprised today. Damn, he may not be close to half of the best technically and is still bang average on the ball but I have to admit that the lad is quite a tank defensively. A rock to be reckoned with in defensive actions. Lad put in a hardworking defensive job at RB and even had a crack at goal on one of his few forages upfront.

#5 Abel Ogwuche continues his flawless displays at the heart of the Flying Eagles backline. Smooth in possession and solid in aerials (100% aerial duel success) and ground duels. His Sweeper qualities saw him rack up the most clearances in the game (9) for Nigeria at the back. Solid performer. Has covered himself in Gold so far as one for the future of the Super Eagles backline.

#12 Benjamin Frederick. What a monster of a young man. The smoothest in possession at the back. Recorded the most passes of all our defenders (38) and also won the highest duels (9) among our back 4. His 1 v 1 defending is arguably the best in this team. I bet only Daniel Daga rivals him on 1 v 1 marking/defending. He recorded 6 tackles vs Italy's Pafundi, Baldanzi and Cesadei.
Benjamin Frederick is a future Super Eagles Defensive lieutenant. Trust me. This kid is going to the top. A top defensive talent we have in Frederick whose only sore point at this tournament so far was the penalty he gave away vs Dominican Republic.
Aside that, Dude has been flawless and class.

#Daniel Daga is truly an insane midfield anchor. Did a fine job on Cesadei and Fratti. Mad and aggressive off the ball and quick in closing down opponents. Brilliant in blocking passing lanes and strong in duels. And just when you think he is all about combativeness, his technical qualities shine through. Press resistant and calm on the ball. Has got the passing range to spread and switch plays to get us progressing forward. Daga is a gem. Only those who focus on both the beautiful and dirty works of Midfield plays will understand what a gem we have in this lad.

I'm not getting ahead of myself but I see why close observers of the team live in Abuja before the U20 Afcon called him Little Kante.

#10 Victor Ehuwa Eletu. The Highly Cerebral Baller of our middle game dynamics. I said on twitter that if we would stand a chance against Italy's midfield, then Eletu must start not just for his familiarity with most of the Italian youngsters but because his ball playing magic would definitely help us in the midfield battle and did it? It sure did. Eletu EASILY recorded the highest passing accuary (95.5%) among all our players who started and also created 2 chances in his 67mins before being subbed off.

His ball sense, decision makings, press resistance, progressive carries and strength in duels makes him quite the near complete midfield package. Dude is definitely destined to become a Super Eagles Midfield General. A star in the making.

#18 Samson Lawal played the first 45 mins and was largely anonymous despite having 2 key passes. He was a huge let down and had to be rightly subbed off for Tochukwu Nnadi.

#8 Tochukwu Nnadi played the second 45 mins and seriously impacted proceedings with his involvement in link up plays and our midfield passing sequences which kept our plays ticking. He provided 2 key passes as well but more than that recorded more than twice the passes Lawal had in the first 45. His energy, his intensity and ball plays saw the midfield 3 of Eletu, Daga and himself take full control of the middle game which began seeing us progress even further into the Italian half both on the counter and in regular offensive transitions.

Part 2 will be about the attack only. Stay tuned.

#MDU20WCDiaries.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 9:38pm On May 24, 2023
Blueelf:

he knows himself

grin grin grin

Ok na🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 9:42pm On May 24, 2023
Really surprised Bameyi wasn't acknowledged by most today. He did really well and it's worth nothing. Guy's probably received the most criticism on the platform so should be acknowledged when he does well.

Thankfully, I wasn't the only one that noticed, TheSuperNerd did too.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 9:45pm On May 24, 2023
Akinsaminro made the bench of inter Milan against fiorentina. Inter winning 2 goals to 1

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:47pm On May 24, 2023
grin
daveP:
Yeah. I know. The other side go long to describe 😆
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 9:47pm On May 24, 2023
Haliru should be starting ahead of Muhammad, Umeh Emmanuel should also be starting ahead of Fago

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 9:51pm On May 24, 2023
Papi85:
Akinsaminro made the bench of inter Milan against fiorentina. Inter winning 2 goals to 1

He didn't

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:52pm On May 24, 2023
Nice!

That means Ladan was right when he said some of these boys will be in SE within a years time

TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria U20 Flying Eagles continue their fearless/menacing displays: Humbles Brazillian Conquerors 2-0 - Part 1

#21 Chijioke Aniagboso looks quite unbeatable between the sticks. Confident in the air and a good shot stopper. Also looks kinda comfortable with the ball at his feet. Bagged an assist for the second goal via classical route 1 football

#3 Solomon Agbalaka was solid defensively for the most parts but was a bit shaky in the first half which saw him forget the tenets of Penalty box defending. He was lucky not to concede a penalty after VAR review shows an Italian foul preceding his handball in the box. His crosses caused a few problems in the final third.

#6 Daniel Bameyi surprised today. Damn, he may not be close to half of the best technically and is still bang average on the ball but I have to admit that the lad is quite a tank defensively. A rock to be reckoned with in defensive actions. Lad put in a hardworking defensive job at RB and even had a crack at goal on one of his few forages upfront.

#5 Abel Ogwuche continues his flawless displays at the heart of the Flying Eagles backline. Smooth in possession and solid in aerials (100% aerial duel success) and ground duels. His Sweeper qualities saw him rack up the most clearances in the game (9) for Nigeria at the back. Solid performer. Has covered himself in Gold so far as one for the future of the Super Eagles backline.

#12 Benjamin Frederick. What a monster of a young man. The smoothest in possession at the back. Recorded the most passes of all our defenders (38) and also won the highest duels (9) among our back 4. His 1 v 1 defending is arguably the best in this team. I bet only Daniel Daga rivals him on 1 v 1 marking/defending. He recorded 6 tackles vs Italy's Pafundi, Baldanzi and Cesadei.
Benjamin Frederick is a future Super Eagles Defensive lieutenant. Trust me. This kid is going to the top. A top defensive talent we have in Frederick whose only sore point at this tournament so far was the penalty he gave away vs Dominican Republic.

#Daniel Daga is truly an insane midfield anchor. Did a fine job on Cesadei and Fratti. Mad and aggressive off the ball and quick in closing down opponents. Brilliant in blocking passing lanes and strong in duels. And just when you think he is all about combativeness, his technical qualities shine through. Press resistant and calm on the ball. Has got the passing range to spread and switch plays to get us progressing forward. Daga is a gem. Only those who focus on both the beautiful and dirty works of Midfield plays will understand what a gem we have in this lad.

I'm not getting ahead of myself but I see why close observers of the team live in Abuja before the U20 Afcon called him Little Kante.

#10 Victor Ehuwa Eletu. The Highly Cerebral Baller of our middle game dynamics. I said on twitter that if we would stand a chance against Italy's midfield, then Eletu must start not just for his familiarity with most of the Italian youngsters but because his ball playing magic would definitely help us in the midfield battle and did it? It sure did. Eletu EASILY recorded the highest passing accuary (95.5%) among all our players who started and also created 2 chances in his 67mins before being subbed off.

His ball sense, decision makings, press resistance, progressive carries and strength in duels makes him quite the near complete midfield package. Dude is definitely destined to become a Super Eagles Midfield General. A star in the making.

#18 Samson Lawal played the first 45 mins and was largely anonymous despite having 2 key passes. He was a huge let down and had to be rightly subbed off for Tochukwu Nnadi.

#8 Tochukwu Nnadi played the second 45 mins and seriously impacted proceedings with his involvement in link up plays and our midfield passing sequences which kept our plays ticking. He provided 2 key passes as well but more than that recorded more than twice the passes Lawal had in the first 45. His energy, his intensity and ball plays saw the midfield 3 of Eletu, Daga and himself take full control of the middle game which began seeing us progress even further into the Italian half both on the counter and in regular offensive transitions.

#MDU20WCDiaries.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:56pm On May 24, 2023
Papi85:
I told you we were not that bad boss.
Never write off their fighting spirit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:57pm On May 24, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

#MDU20WCDiaries.

The best Game this team has played ever since being assembled.

Well done, Son.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:58pm On May 24, 2023
I dey here. Make I watch them first, then I go tell u my full mind
Odunayaw:
grin I'm waiting for match to end with the boys winning and then we can drag the monikers that said Italy will win
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:00pm On May 24, 2023
grin What happened in the2nd half?
Papi85:
poor coaching coupled with gidigbo football with no intelligence and finesse

Eletu stands out among the rest. Daga, decent prospect but need a lot of polishing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:04pm On May 24, 2023
Joebie:
grin What happened in the2nd half?
they played better 😎
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 10:06pm On May 24, 2023
mostob:
On the other news the wifeys (Falconets) walloped Togo by six goals.

Great night for Nigerian football.
The U20 Falconets and the U20 Flying Eagles both qualified for the next round of the WAFU B cup competition and the U20 FIFA world cup respectively tonight. Wishing them all the best.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 10:16pm On May 24, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

#MDU20WCDiaries.

Chigozie Aniagboso is the solution to the SE goalkeeping department

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:17pm On May 24, 2023
Nigeria U20 Flying Eagles continue their fearless/menacing displays: Humbles Brazillian Conquerors 2-0 - Part 2

MOTM: Benjamin Frederick

The Attack

#9 Salem Fago Lawal lost most of his duels but his willingness to use his targetman profile to win the first balls in the final third, knocking them down or feeding his flanking wingers was quite lovely to see. His Linkup plays were also quite a delight to watch in few phases. A hardworker up front who occupied the Italian CBs and he took his Goal very well like a badass. A number 9 that can score. Good for his confidence.

#11 Ibrahim Muhammed Beji. It is a wonder how Beji is yet to truly take off at this tournament. Nigeria is firing now but her best player at the Wafu B and the U20 Afcon is yet to exactly assert himself. Imagine what would happen when Beji finally comes into his own at this World Cup. Anyway, he wasn't at his best today and was rightly taken off at halftime.

#15 Jude Sunday is as first level menacing as first level talents come. Yes, he did struggle in the first half to exert himself on the game as the Italians doubled up on him but with time he grew into the game and began to cause problems with his speed, footwork and dribbles. Also helped out Agbalaka defensively in phases and crowned his industrious showing with a beautiful goal thanks to Aniagboso's lovely "Alisson-like" route 1 assist. 😂😂

#19 Emmanuel Umeh came on for Beji and instantly settled into business on the RW before he moved centrally after the Salem Fago sub out for Haliru Sarki. Umeh is a central attacker (CF) but his introduction by Bosso as a false winger and foil to Fago's targetman profile really worked a treat. His direct playing style, power and pace saw him trouble the Italian backline and on one of such occasions, he clattered into an italian CB, hit the ground, dusted himself off immediately and beautifully set up Fago for a sweet headed goal.
His introduction at the beginning of the half saw his direct playing profile sync beautifully with the progressive game changing qualities of the new look Daga-Eletu-Nnadi midfield before Eletu eventually got subbed off on 67mins due to a knock.

#7 Haliru Sarki came in for Salem Fago which moved Emmanuel Umeh centrally to his more natural. Sarki instantly began to worry the Italian backline with his mad trickery, wicked pace and strength on the ball.

Sarki completed all 4 of his dribbles for a 100% dribbling success and won all his ground duels (7). A real menace on his day. He was also quite impressive in the first game vs Dominican Republic with a 100% dribbling success (3/3) and won all 5 of his ground duels.
Should Ibrahim Beji fail to pick up form, he may lose his starting berth to Haliru Sarki. Time will tell.

Notable mention:

#20 Joshua John... I forgot to mention him when analysing the midfielders. He came in for Victor Eletu and just kept things ticking in the middle. Nailed all his passes. Decent 23mins + added time showing.

Coach Ladan Bosso. I score him 8 over 10. I believe he should have started with the midfield 3 of Daga-Eletu-Nnadi but he decided to keep Lawal in the first XI. I wasn't comfortable with that but I was glad he at least included Eletu in the midfield alongside Daga. I knew that double pivot would work a treat.

Bosso eventually corrected his midfield selection mistake by withdrawing Lawal and throwing in Nnadi to finally see us enjoying our best midfield flow at this tournament between 46 and 67mins. Even Joshua John came in for Eletu and didn't look out of place.

In all, Bosso got his subs right. But it is an 8 from me because I believe a coach should be bold enough to recognise the best balance from the start. If I as an analyst could bring that out, then as a coach, you should be doing better. Mistakes like these may cost you in the first 45 before you have a chance to change things. We were lucky not to go a goal down after that Italy strike struck the bar in the first half. Lawal wasn't working in the CAM role as planned but Bosso made the change and the Italians hardly had a sniff of our goal coz we took total control of the middle game battle.

In all, kudos to Ladan Bosso. I see us going very far if we keep this up.

#MDU20WCDiaries

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:24pm On May 24, 2023
Joebie:
I dey here. Make I watch them first, then I go tell u my full mind
I don't remember you expecting them to be walloped by Italy

But wait let me check cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 10:30pm On May 24, 2023

Wonderful analysis once against TheSupernerd,Keep it rolling sir.
What's the extent of Victor Eletu's Injury?,Will he be fit for the next game?.
How I wish we had Ebenezer Akinsanmiro in the team,he would have added steel to our midfield.
In a year or two, Super Eagles midfield problem will be over.
I pray they progress rapidly,the likes of Daga,Eletu, Akinsanmiro,Nnadi etc.
This thread is doing a lot to Nigeria's football.Kudos to everyone.

Ladan Bosso and his boys should know that there is room for improvement. I pray they go once step better than the U20 team of 2005.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:37pm On May 24, 2023
Brazil scores against Dominican Republic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On May 24, 2023
I won't be surprised. 😂😂

LordTheus:

Maybe he's on Nairaland. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 10:38pm On May 24, 2023
Brazil scores again. 2nil
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:40pm On May 24, 2023
It's funny.

The team I had more hopes on, the Golden Eaglets, based on their Wafu B showings faltered eventually at the U17 Afcon. Ofcos factors were responsible. Poor finishing, some questionable selection decisions and the loss of our first choice midfield from the Wafu B at the U17 Afcon.

While the team that I had partial interest in until Eletu was added to the team and Daga regained fitness, is the team doing the most right now to put smiles on the faces of Nigerian fans.

The lesson. Just keep faith with all our teams. With the right selections, our teams always never fail to surprise and stun the world.

#MDU20WCDiaries

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 10:47pm On May 24, 2023
See pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 11:27pm On May 24, 2023
Brazil winning 3 nil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 11:31pm On May 24, 2023

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:34pm On May 24, 2023
Victor Ehuwa Eletu Main Stats vs Italy today🔥🔥

#MDU20WCDiaries

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:36pm On May 24, 2023
Icon4s:

The best Game this team has played ever since being assembled.

Well done, Son.

Thanks Dad.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14636) (14637) (14638) (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.