Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,454 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11702470 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14638) (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) (14643) (14644) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:35am On May 25, 2023
do4luv14:

Ahh, Oga Andrew, Sorry for Harry Kane pls

Danny Levy should took the blame, If he had not fired Jose Mourinho few days to a cup final, he would had had a medal around his neck

I found out Harry Kane signed a new contract after levy refusing to sell him to mancity for about 150 ,so he should be blamed for that ,he should be leaving as a free agent now and teams like Bayern Madrid will rush him at 29

It’s your confidence for me thinking mourinho will win guardiola at the carabao cup final if he wasn’t sacked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:41am On May 25, 2023
Please be gentle this is my first time grin

Odunayaw:
grin I'm waiting for match to end with the boys winning and then we can drag the monikers that said Italy will win
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:56am On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
U20 World Cup MD2 Results - Day 5: Flying Eagles stun Italy and the bookmakers; doing the most for African Reps as African Champs, Senegal, falter again.

Group C
Senegal 1-1 Israel
Japan 1-2 Colombia

Group D
Italy 0-2 Nigeria
Brazil 6-0 Dominican Republic

Next up (Thursday) - Day 6

Group E
Uruguay vs England
Iraq vs Tunisia

Group F
France vs Gambia
South Korea vs Honduras

#MDU20WCDiaries

Looking forward to two games tonight:
Uruguay vs England
France vs Gambia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:05am On May 25, 2023
Brother Andrew this is hate speech
andrew444:

He has won more trophies than Harry Kane

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:15am On May 25, 2023
My only problem with this U20 team is that they are grossly overage. For all we know, they could all be in their mid to late twenties i.e at their peak.

This means the boys have only two or three years max to perform optimally before nature takes its course and diminishing returns sets in.

For those celebrating that we have found fresh solutions to our SE problems, I would advise caution. It is not yet Uhuru. Those boys are not boys.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yemyke001(m): 10:28am On May 25, 2023
That is the only challende I have with the team. some are even over 30 Years

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 10:28am On May 25, 2023
The Nigerian u20 eagles are already through to the round of 16 as best losers (3rd) but a draw at least would make them 1st (top of the group)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yemyke001(m): 10:28am On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:
My only problem with this U20 team is that they are grossly overage. For all we know, they could all be in their mid to late twenties i.e at their peak.

This means the boys have only two or three years max to perform optimally before nature takes its course and diminishing returns sets in.

For those celebrating that we have found fresh solutions to our SE problems, I would advise caution. It is not yet Uhuru. Those boys are not boys.

That is the only challenge I have with the team. Some are even over 30 Years

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:35am On May 25, 2023
yemyke001:

That is the only challenge I have with the team. Some are even over 30 Years

The youngest there is 25-26. I am sure a couple of 30+ are mixed in too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 10:50am On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

The youngest there is 25-26. I am sure a couple of 30+ are mixed in too.
Yes the captain is 52

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 11:00am On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

Did you notice it that the boys were over age when there were been beating left right and center and manage to came fourth at the caf under 20 afcon or you are noticing it yesterday because we beat italy?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 11:01am On May 25, 2023
Samueltemi337:
Yes the captain is 52
the captain came to my naming ceremony. He should be around 49 max.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:11am On May 25, 2023
Daniel Daga, Victor Eletu, Benjamin Frederick, Tochukwu Nnadi are all definitely boys. Even Bameyi looks really young.

So your take is not entirely true.

Curtisaxel10:

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 11:21am On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

Dem don curse us for this country, no one can convince me otherwise!
Why is it that Nigerians find it difficult to just accept something positive about our nation without any negativity?
Why do we like dragging ourselves down all in the name of being "real"?
Just why!?

Na you born them?

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:36am On May 25, 2023
Victor Eletu's post match interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-ahdqGme8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 11:40am On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

2 days ago you were condemning discrimination.

Today you are discriminating against the U20 eagles because they are successfully winning matches.

It doesn't even occur to you that the U20 eagles were lucky against Italy, if Italy had scored first it would have been a different game and the defense is shaky and riding on luck especially with the Full-Backs that started against Italy.

You're a hypocrite..

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:56am On May 25, 2023
andrew444:

He has won more trophies than Harry Kane

Kane don collect more strays & shades than Ronaldo and Messi combined don collect trophies.. Haba. 🥺

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:59am On May 25, 2023
lovewins:
Eberechi Eze makes the England Squad against Malta.

He'll probably get capped and then get ignored much later.

Tomori still doesn't get the nod.

I am so happy for him.
Dreams do come true.

This is an inspiration.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 12:01pm On May 25, 2023
jieta:
Did you notice it that the boys were over age when there were been beating left right and center and manage to came fourth at the caf under 20 afcon or you are noticing it yesterday because we beat italy?

One of Nigeria's problems is that we let emotions rule our thinking.

Virtually everybody in this thread denounced this same team as overaged scams when they crashed out of the AFCON. Myself included.

Now they have won Italy and everybody have become their fanboys. Tomorrow, if they crash out again, we will remember that they are old men.

I still maintain that Daniel Daga is not 15 (recently turned 16), and the vast majority if not all of his team mates are in their mid to late twenties. I was born and bred in Nigeria and I think I know what a teenage Nigerian boy looks like. That is the truth.

Even if they beat Brazil 8-0 and go on to win the trophy, I will still say the same thing. They are cheats. Shameless cheats.

It seems we will never learn. Supporting one set of "U-20" fraudsters after the other. How many players from Aigbogun's Horrible Team of Shame are close to being SE material today? And here we are, repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

I will still watch their games and cheer when they score. I don't have an option. But for their future? I have already reduced my expectations to zero.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:03pm On May 25, 2023
Kid seems team-oriented. Just how I like my midfielders and players in general. He had a chance to talk himself up a little bit based on the fact that he has indeed faced some of those Italian lads back in Italy imstead he just kept it plain and simple saying "we can beat them if we play as a team".

I also love his ambition in this competition. He's not in a hurry to go back to AC Milan.😂😂 He wanna win this thing.

Good interview catch Basco. 🤝🏻🤝🏻

BascoVanVeli:
Victor Eletu's post match interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-ahdqGme8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 12:06pm On May 25, 2023
codemaniacs:

2 days ago you were condemning discrimination.

Today you are discriminating against the U20 eagles because they are successfully winning matches.

It doesn't even occur to you that the U20 eagles were lucky against Italy, if Italy had scored first it would have been a different game and the defense is shaky and riding on luck especially with the Full-Backs that started against Italy.

You're a hypocrite..

How do you equate condemning the corrupt and wicked practice of bringing 27-30 year old men to compete with teenagers with hating people based on their tribal or racial background?

I know that as a self-professed tribalist, you felt personally attacked by my condemnation of tribalists, but if you want to get back at me, you need to come up with a smarter plan.

This one is just over the bar.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 12:09pm On May 25, 2023
Hanibal:

Dem don curse us for this country, no one can convince me otherwise!
Why is it that Nigerians find it difficult to just accept something positive about our nation without any negativity?
Why do we like dragging ourselves down all in the name of being "real"?
Just why!?

Na you born them?

There is nothing positive about men in their late twenties beating a set of teenagers.

Nothing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

There is nothing positive about men in their late twenties beating a set of teenagers.

Nothing.
oga, go and sleep.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:19pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Another source said 16 yrs. I think they are really pushing it. grin grin

He looks to me like an U-21 but 16? Well... no words from me.

Age aside, the lad is truly a Baller.

Relax Curtis. Read the above from last year's Wafu B. This is on Daniel Daga.

And on Aigbogun's U20 side, we have a few pearls from that set. Very few though. One of them could even make his SE debut in defence. And one already has made his SE debut but is on a low for now.

They are as follows:

✅️Kingsley Michael made his Super Eagles debut vs Cape Verde in the WCQs (remember?). Although since then, he has kinda faltered as he was recently released by Austrian side, SV Ried after moving from Bologna on an initial loan deal. Unfortunate low.

✅️Akor Jerome Adams is doing well in the Eliteserien and is strongly linked with a Bundesliga move.

✅️Chinonso Emeka is finding his feet in the Slovak Fortuna Super Liga with AS Trencin.

✅️Nnamdi Oforburh was diagnosed with a heart condition after moving to Rangers of Scotland. So he's been inactive ever since. A decent midfield prospect he was.

✅️The Brightest of the lot so far... CB, Igoh Ogbu of Slavia Prague. Moved from the Eliteserien where he impressed at Lillestrøm and secured a move to Peter Olayinka's Slavia Prague. They are Europe bound and he's been a mainstay even winning the Czech Cup this season.

So while I get your points on some of the ills plaguing our football, I just want to draw your attention to a few genuine youngsters who are coming through the same flawed system and making their way to the top gradually.

Curtisaxel10:

Virtually everybody in this thread denounced this same team as overaged scams when they crashed out of the AFCON. Myself included.

Now they have won Italy and everybody have become their fanboys. Tomorrow, if they crash out again, we will remember that they are old men.

I still maintain that Daniel Daga is not 15 (recently turned 16), and the vast majority if not all of his team mates are in their mid to late twenties. I was born and bred in Nigeria and I think I know what a teenage Nigerian boy looks like. That is the truth.

Even if they beat Brazil 8-0 and go on to win the trophy, I will still say the same thing. They are cheats. Shameless cheats.

It seems we will never learn. Supporting one set of "U-20" fraudsters after the other. How many players from Aigbogun's Horrible Team of Shame are close to being SE material today? And here we are, repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

I will still watch their games and cheer when they score. I don't have an option. But for their future? I have already reduced my expectations to zero.

Lastly.... back to Daga. Below is a pic of Daga from the Wafu B. This was only last year.

He is a genuine kid. Only that he could be 19 and not 16. I DONT KNOW EXACTLY but one thing is certain, he is a very young lad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:19pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Kane don collect more strays & shades than Ronaldo and Messi combined don collect trophies.. Haba. 🥺

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 12:22pm On May 25, 2023
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 12:28pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

How do you equate condemning the corrupt and wicked practice of bringing 27-30 year old men to compete with teenagers with hating people based on their tribal or racial background?

I know that as a self-professed tribalist, you felt personally attacked by my condemnation of tribalists, but if you want to get back at me, you need to come up with a smarter plan.

This one is just over the bar.

The other teams have players with full grown beards but it's Nigeria's players you're accusing falsely.

You're the tribalist. That's why your brain created a problem with players ages where there is no problem.

Racists and tribalists brains have issues with things that are not supposed to be an issue.

There's discrimination based on age.

Discrimination is discrimination.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:28pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

I appreciate they won Italy yesterday and I was happy

But as for age ,I arrest my case grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 12:29pm On May 25, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

More reason I don't celebrate the win
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:35pm On May 25, 2023
Yeah I can believe he's under 21 but who advised him to lower his age all the way to 16? So he can't sign a professional contract until 2025 at the earliest why sabotage yourself like that? Considering that he's really talented it would mean he would miss out on vital development his peers like Eletu and Akin in Milan are getting.

TheSuperNerd:

Relax Curtis. Read the above from last year's Wafu B. This is on Daniel Daga.

And on Aigbogun's U20 side, we have a few pearls from that set. Very few though. One of them could even make his SE debut in defence. And one already has made his SE debut but is on a low for now.

They are as follows:

✅️Kingsley Michael made his Super Eagles debut vs Cape Verde in the WCQs (remember?). Although since then, he has kinda faltered as he was recently released by Austrian side, SV Ried after moving from Bologna on an initial loan deal. Unfortunate low.

✅️Akor Jerome Adams is doing well in the Eliteserien and is strongly linked with a Bundesliga move.

✅️Chinonso Emeka is finding his feet in the Slovak Fortuna Super Liga with AS Trencin.

✅️Nnamdi Oforburh was diagnosed with a heart condition after moving to Rangers of Scotland. So he's been inactive ever since. A decent midfield prospect he was.

✅️The Brightest of the lot so far... CB, Igoh Ogbu of Slavia Prague. Moved from the Eliteserien where he impressed at Lillestrøm and secured a move to Peter Olayinka's Slavia Prague. They are Europe bound and he's been a mainstay even winning the Czech Cup this season.

So while I get your points on some of the ills plaguing our football, I just want to draw your attention to a few genuine youngsters who are coming through the same flawed system and making their way to the top gradually.

Lastly.... back to Daga. Below is a pic of Daga from the Wafu B. This was only last year.

He is a genuine kid. Only that he could be 19 and not 16. I DONT KNOW EXACTLY but one thing is certain, he is a very young lad.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:37pm On May 25, 2023
I understand his misgivings about the true age of a lot of these players but based on facial test trust me I've seen way worse.

Tessyy1701:

More reason I don't celebrate the win

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:40pm On May 25, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria U20 Flying Eagles continue their fearless/menacing displays: Humbles Brazillian Conquerors 2-0 - Part 1

MOTM for me is Benjamin Frederick

#21 Chijioke Aniagboso looks quite unbeatable between the sticks. Confident in the air and a good shot stopper. Also looks kinda comfortable with the ball at his feet. Bagged an assist for the second goal via classical route 1 football

#3 Solomon Agbalaka was solid defensively for the most parts but was a bit shaky in the first half which saw him forget the tenets of Penalty box defending. He was lucky not to concede a penalty after VAR review shows an Italian foul preceding his handball in the box. His crosses caused a few problems in the final third.

#6 Daniel Bameyi surprised today. Damn, he may not be close to half of the best technically and is still bang average on the ball but I have to admit that the lad is quite a tank defensively. A rock to be reckoned with in defensive actions. Lad put in a hardworking defensive job at RB and even had a crack at goal on one of his few forages upfront.

#5 Abel Ogwuche continues his flawless displays at the heart of the Flying Eagles backline. Smooth in possession and solid in aerials (100% aerial duel success) and ground duels. His Sweeper qualities saw him rack up the most clearances in the game (9) for Nigeria at the back. Solid performer. Has covered himself in Gold so far as one for the future of the Super Eagles backline.

#12 Benjamin Frederick. What a monster of a young man. The smoothest in possession at the back. Recorded the most passes of all our defenders (38) and also won the highest duels (9) among our back 4. His 1 v 1 defending is arguably the best in this team. I bet only Daniel Daga rivals him on 1 v 1 marking/defending. He recorded 6 tackles vs Italy's Pafundi, Baldanzi and Cesadei.
Benjamin Frederick is a future Super Eagles Defensive lieutenant. Trust me. This kid is going to the top. A top defensive talent we have in Frederick whose only sore point at this tournament so far was the penalty he gave away vs Dominican Republic.
Aside that, Dude has been flawless and class.

#Daniel Daga is truly an insane midfield anchor. Did a fine job on Cesadei and Fratti. Mad and aggressive off the ball and quick in closing down opponents. Brilliant in blocking passing lanes and strong in duels. And just when you think he is all about combativeness, his technical qualities shine through. Press resistant and calm on the ball. Has got the passing range to spread and switch plays to get us progressing forward. Daga is a gem. Only those who focus on both the beautiful and dirty works of Midfield plays will understand what a gem we have in this lad.

I'm not getting ahead of myself but I see why close observers of the team live in Abuja before the U20 Afcon called him Little Kante.

#10 Victor Ehuwa Eletu. The Highly Cerebral Baller of our middle game dynamics. I said on twitter that if we would stand a chance against Italy's midfield, then Eletu must start not just for his familiarity with most of the Italian youngsters but because his ball playing magic would definitely help us in the midfield battle and did it? It sure did. Eletu EASILY recorded the highest passing accuary (95.5%) among all our players who started and also created 2 chances in his 67mins before being subbed off.

His ball sense, decision makings, press resistance, progressive carries and strength in duels makes him quite the near complete midfield package. Dude is definitely destined to become a Super Eagles Midfield General. A star in the making.

#18 Samson Lawal played the first 45 mins and was largely anonymous despite having 2 key passes. He was a huge let down and had to be rightly subbed off for Tochukwu Nnadi.

#8 Tochukwu Nnadi played the second 45 mins and seriously impacted proceedings with his involvement in link up plays and our midfield passing sequences which kept our plays ticking. He provided 2 key passes as well but more than that recorded more than twice the passes Lawal had in the first 45. His energy, his intensity and ball plays saw the midfield 3 of Eletu, Daga and himself take full control of the middle game which began seeing us progress even further into the Italian half both on the counter and in regular offensive transitions.

Part 2 will be about the attack only. Stay tuned.

#MDU20WCDiaries.

Thank you, TheSuperNerd.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14638) (14639) (14640) (14641) (14642) (14643) (14644) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChrisKels, realpoacher(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.