Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,767 members, 7,862,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 06:17 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1479) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11940825 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1476) (1477) (1478) (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) ... (16352) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 5:14pm On Sep 09, 2017
Joebie:
His highpoint was that cross across goal. It was close miss. He will continue to deputize Moses from what I've seen so far.

The competition will only make moses improve
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2017
Okay but you are both on the same page. I didn't see any signs of fears from what TheGoodJoe said.

TheSuperNerd:
To be honest.... I don't know why some are kinda panicking over Nacho's gametime for now... It is clear he is top quality and will bring lovely depth and solid packages to the Leicester team in attack but he needs to be up there in terms of his fitness levels.

I believe they are taking their time with him and have been doing so since week 1 because of that toe... he does seem to have shaken that off and even scored on international duty but thing is, His fitness level isn't at 90%-100% yet... he missed a whole preseason period and played just 17 mins against Mochengladbach and picked up that toe injury... since then, Leicester have been careful with their prized asset as they worked hard to help him recover from the toe setback as well as Still working on his overall physical conditioning and fitness level.

So for me... I say give Nacho this month... he will keep getting his cameos for maybe a few more weeks like 2-3 more... after which I believe the best of Nacho will be ready to be unleashed from the start. So Lads and Lasses plsss chill... Nacho is highly needed in The Leicester team. They need his quality and they know it and that is why they wanna take things easy with him for the long-term benefits of seeing a real player shine for them.

Even Shakes said something like.... "When Nacho is 100% fit and physically eager to have a go from the start, then we will see a real player... we know what he brings"

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2017
Lol... na now you dey know? In Ndidi, you are looking at Leicester's Best Midfielder now... and I see him leave within the next two years for a bigger club. He will be a certified world class bad-ass in his position soon... at this rate, I know that will happen.

adegwurulez:
Ndidi won't stay long at Leicester. Dude is too good for this brand of kick and follow football Leicester is playing. No tactics, no plan, just kick and follow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2017
Yes same competition I've been clamoring for as regards Echiejile in SE.. He is too comfortable, and it's now telling.

adegwurulez:
The competition will only make moses improve
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2017
I addressed both what he said and what others on the thread are insinuating about Nacho's bench role.

Joebie:
Okay but you are both on the same page. I didn't see any signs of fears from what TheGoodJoe said.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2017
Say hello to Jordan.... The NFF are on his case according to reports.

Joebie:
Yes same competition I've been clamoring for as regards Echiejile in SE.. He is too comfortable, and it's now telling.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
Well at least we all agree that he did pretty well in the just concluded game.
TheSuperNerd:
I addressed both what he said and what others on the thread are insinuating about Nacho's bench role.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2017
Make dem take that Toru case seriously oh.. One thing I also learned from the Rohr interview, he is planning for Russia and beyond.. He said something about the league, and things we need to improve. Also his focus on players with the right ages. These set of players can go on to play for us for another decade maybe..

TheSuperNerd:

Say hello to Jordan.... The NFF are on his case according to reports.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2017
I didn't address his performance.... I addressed the various talks of his bench role and some people's eagerness to see him play from the start. That was my central message.

Joebie:
Well at least we all agree that he did pretty well in the just concluded game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:21pm On Sep 09, 2017
adegwurulez:
Ndidi won't stay long at Leicester. Dude is too good for this brand of kick and follow football Leicester is playing. No tactics, no plan, just kick and follow

Ndidi was amazing today. Definitely a bigger player for Leicester City. I can see bigger clubs coming for him soon. But, it will cost a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:22pm On Sep 09, 2017
You said he has shaken off his injury right. That's if I read it well. So I assumed you are judging from his recent performances.

TheSuperNerd:

I didn't address his performance.... I addressed the various talks of his bench role and some people's eagerness to see him play from the start. That was my central message.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:25pm On Sep 09, 2017
Read again Sir Joebie.... I used the word "Seem/seemed" because he scored on international duty... did I not? Then I went on to explain why Leicester are taking it easy with him... did I not?

Joebie:
You said he has shaken off his injury right. That's if I read it well. So I assumed you are judging from his recent performances.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:25pm On Sep 09, 2017
Do I have any reason to feel vindicated? I've always advocated for us mastering different formations, and I've been a preacher of dynamism.
Someone is reading Rohr's mind. And I once told you there is nothing wrong with packing the bus sometimes as a strategy to winning games.

TheGoodJoe:
tbaba1234 thank you for the nice post on Gernot Rohr.

From the interview, I can see we have a very sound technical Adviser and team manager. Looks the right man to lead the team. His founding principles are solid and I think we the supporters need to buy into his philosophies. (I am also guilty of this)
He wants everyone to trust the decision of the team manager. I think that includes the fans and supporters.

A good point is that his scouting department are doing their best to monitor most of our players, especially during the weekends. He also wants the team flexible playing different styles and formations. Including the parked bus system I detest so much. He believes in a balance of youth and experience. So we should not expect him throwing any bright new shining object into the team. He will blend in players with time. Not rash and he will maintain a solid balance to the best of his ability.

He wants the team United along with the NFF. He believes in the team but wants us respecting every opponent. In football, anything can happen.

He still considers Enyeama a key member of the team but he might not rush Enyeama into the team. Also, Enyeama might not wear the captain band.

Nice interview that got us a chance to know the coach better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2017
I just said I assumed you were speaking based on his recent performances. I'm sure there are many middle grounds. Sometimes we agree more than we think we disagree grin

TheSuperNerd:
Read again Sir Joebie.... I used the word "Seem/seemed" because he scored on international duty... did I not? Then I went on to explain why Leicester are taking it easy with him... did I not?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2017
China: Mikel In Action But Can’t Save Tianjin From Defeat
By James Agberebi

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi returned to club duties but ended on the losing side as Tianjin Teda lost 3-1 away to Shanghai SIPG FC in the Chinese Super League on Saturday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Mikel was on duty for the Eagles who faced Cameroon in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia qualifiers in Uyo and Yaoundé few days back.
Lei Wu gave Shanghai the lead in the 11th minute before Hai Yu made it 2-0 in the 15th minute.
Ximing Pan pulled a goal back for Tianjin Teda in the 67th minute to bring scores to 2-1.
But in the 80th minute Elkeson made sure of the points for Shanghai by making it 3-1.
The defeat saw Tianjin Teda drop to 15th on 16 points in the 16-team league.
Mikel has now played six league games with one goal for Tianjin Teda this season.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/china-mikel-action-cant-save-tianjin-defeat/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2017
Look, I said he seemed to have shaken off his toe injury setback based on his ability to still get involved in his teams' (Super Eagles and The Foxes) plays and also got a goal recently.... but I then said his fitness level and overall physical conditioning is the issue why Leicester don't wanna rush him just yet into the first XI... This guy missed preseason and was so behind others in his fitness level and ocwrall physical conditioning..... he is gradually getting there physically and fitness wise but still need a little more time.

I even gave a timeline of this month possibly passing before We get to see a super fit Nacho unleashed from the start...

Trust this is clear enough now even though I happen to be repeating myself.

Joebie:
I just said I assumed you were speaking based on his recent performances. I'm sure there are many middle grounds. Sometimes we agree more than we think we disagree grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:40pm On Sep 09, 2017
Championship Update:

Aston Villa - Brentford tie end in a scoreless draw.

Josh Onomah started for Villa, and was subbed out on the 71st minute.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:41pm On Sep 09, 2017
okay oga sir
TheSuperNerd:
Look, I said he seemed to have shaken off his toe injury setback based on his ability to still get involved in his teams' (Super Eagles and The Foxes) plays and also got a goal recently.... but I then said his fitness level and overall physical conditioning is the issue why Leicester don't wanna rush him just yet into the first XI... This guy missed preseason and was so behind others in his fitness level and ocwrall physical conditioning..... he is gradually getting there physically and fitness wise but still need a little more time.

I even gave a timeline of this month possibly passing before We get to see a super fit Nacho unleashed from the start...

Trust this is clear enough now even though I happen to be repeating myself.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:43pm On Sep 09, 2017
Championship Update:

Wolves 1-0 Millwall

Bright Enobakhare, 59th minute sub in for Wolves

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2017
Chai...WAFU tournament is rubbish honestly,,,,,it's very boring in fact it's an eyesore...no football intelligence whatsoever!!
.GHA 0-0 GMB
81 Mins.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2017
Berra.... wink Abi na Libero's entrance dey cause tiny info-processing-neurons temporal disruption in the midst of your lovely brainstorms? cheesy

Joebie:
okay oga sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2017
Championship Update:

Bolton 0-3 Middlesbrough

Derek Osede started for Bolton as DM. Subbed out on the 65th
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2017
all join. hahaha

TheSuperNerd:

Berra.... wink Abi na Libero's entrance dey cause tiny info-processing-neurons temporal disruption in the midst of your lovely brainstorms? cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
China: Mikel In Action But Can’t Save Tianjin From Defeat
By James Agberebi

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi returned to club duties but ended on the losing side as Tianjin Teda lost 3-1 away to Shanghai SIPG FC in the Chinese Super League on Saturday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Mikel was on duty for the Eagles who faced Cameroon in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia qualifiers in Uyo and Yaoundé few days back.
Lei Wu gave Shanghai the lead in the 11th minute before Hai Yu made it 2-0 in the 15th minute.
Ximing Pan pulled a goal back for Tianjin Teda in the 67th minute to bring scores to 2-1.
But in the 80th minute Elkeson made sure of the points for Shanghai by making it 3-1.
The defeat saw Tianjin Teda drop to 15th on 16 points in the 16-team league.
Mikel has now played six league games with one goal for Tianjin Teda this season.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/china-mikel-action-cant-save-tianjin-defeat/
Is Mikel still being deployed as a CB for his club?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:49pm On Sep 09, 2017
Nice one Sir Joebie... plsss anything on Fred Onyedimma of Millwall? I think he will play as a sub or a starter... #just saying.

Joebie:
Championship Update:

Wolves 1-0 Millwall

Bright Enobakhare, 59th minute sub in for Wolves
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
Championship Update:

Reading 0-1 Bristol

Sone Aluko worked full shift as LW for Reading.
Thiago Ilori remained in Reading's bench.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
komekn:

To put it simply Tiago is not good enough.

I have watched him up close and personal over three years, in matches and in training. He was at Liverpool for three years and didnt play any serious game. Possibly played 2/3 games at most.

He went to Reading last season to date he hasn't played more than 10 games.

He is not as good as Dominic Iorfa who is mainly a right back. My view he hasn't been able to deal with the physicality and speed of the EPL and or the Championship.

Hahahahahah! Remember! You were forced to eat humble pie when you said the same against Solanke. grin

Tiago Ilori was sold in January to reading-fc and he played games immediately but was ruled out for six weeks.

Immediately, he came out of injury, Stam restored in for the rest of the season and remember he played in all the play off to the Premier League which they eventually lost to Huddersfield-town-fc in the final.

This season, out of total six matches played in the Championship he started 3 save 3 due to red card.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-dealt-defensive-injury-12522454.amp

He is Stam number one choice at the CB. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:51pm On Sep 09, 2017
sorry. 79th minute sub in. Started from bench.

TheSuperNerd:
Nice one Sir Joebie... plsss anything on Fred Onyedimma of Millwall? I think he will play as a sub or a starter... #just saying.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2017
Joebie:
Championship Update:

Reading 0-1 Bristol

Cc: forgiveness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2017
Joebie:
Championship Update:

Reading 0-1 Bristol

Hahahahahah!

As if say na bench em dey tey tey.

He was suspended for 2 matches due to red card and he just returned for this match. grin

Already started all the 3 matches before the red card. grin

Cc: adegwurulez grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
His team played in a 4-2-3-1 with Mikel deployed at the base in a double pivot with Nemanja Gudelj.... With Mikel as the CMF and Gudelj the DMF... Gudelj is also a central midfielder so Mikel also sat back as the DMF on some occasions.

adegwurulez:

Is Mikel still being deployed as a CB for his club?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 5:55pm On Sep 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
His team played in a 4-2-3-1 with Mikel deployed at the base in a double pivot with Nemanja Gudelj.... With Mikel as the CMF and Gudelj the DMF... Gudelj is also a central midfielder so Mikel also sat back as the DMF on some occasions.

Okay thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (1476) (1477) (1478) (1479) (1480) (1481) (1482) ... (16352) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: villagereporter(m), Toylove, Mercenary123, lelion, XshegzzyeeiX2 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.