Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,731 members, 7,834,425 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15017) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11774942 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15014) (15015) (15016) (15017) (15018) (15019) (15020) ... (16192) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 12:14am On Sep 17, 2023
Odunayaw:
Many people na boju boju dem de do. Dem no
just rate Osimhen

Some takes here are very irritating
am really shocked !!! People can be funny , let moffi and boniface goals dry up now (God forbid) they will also say they are fluke or pretenders 🤣🤣

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 2:39am On Sep 17, 2023
The role of a striker is to score goals. Osimhen must know that as a striker, you can't score in every game.
It's a shame to see him give out penalties to his team mates. He can only give out PK to his team mate if he is chasing a hat trick in the game,aside that naaah.
Maybe he hasn't learnt from last season when Martinez of Inter Milan almost usurped him as the highest goal scorer.
He should have been on 4 goals this season.
Against Sao Tome And Principe,you won a penalty and you wanted someone else to take the penalty.Na lack of self esteem dey worry am abi wetin?, nothing is gauranteed in the game of football.One can lose form,get diagnosed with a terminal disease or get injured which can put you out of the game.

Osimhen must learn to be a little bit selfish as a striker. He must stop giving out penalties to his team mates,if he thinks he is poor at taking PK s then he needs to put more work in that area.

Dude defends too much for a top 9.

Who remembers a striker that doesn't score goals?.

He need to statpads with penalties.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:27am On Sep 17, 2023
Kog45:
I wish just like Moffi did today and want to see Sadiq getting his form back,Onuachu regain his confident..red hot Osimhen continue his goal scoring…am seeing Akor scoring this weekend.I want to see Akpom doing it with Ajax…chai Dessers Dey o….Kai wahala wahala
It might sound ironic but I'm not overly happy that we have too many strikers. Even me that is not the coach I'm having headache already. And then I'd have heartache when inevitably some strikers don't make the list.

Our team lacks balance. Midfield combo not settled. Defence still wobbly. Gk wahala still dey.

If the coach allows our firepower in the attack to blind him to our lack in other important areas, we will be undone at this Afcon if a good opposition team adopts correct tactics to curtail our attackers and exploit our vulnerabilities.

At the last Afcon, we were flying high. All it took Tunisia was one shot from the center. And we came crashing down.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:30am On Sep 17, 2023
charlesemeka85:
yea saw the clip on Twitter

But na so him dey celebrate too so mk em go chop shit abeg

Though am a big fan of his
Why most of our attackers including Osimhen lack the technical ability to play curlers? Iheanacho and Chukwueze can sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:51am On Sep 17, 2023
do4luv14:

Why is nobody mentioning Etebo in the scheme of our midfield things,

is he that bad or what??
I laughed when I read your post. Reminded me of the proverb that says that dem say make animals with horns come out, snail ma go dey show himself.

Etebo otilo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:01am On Sep 17, 2023
charlesemeka85:

Accommodating Boniface implies you hv to play him from the flanks or deploy a 442 formation which seem to work for the team against minnows

Onyedika also plays as a b2b midfielder but primarily a CDM. Like you said maybe he will do well in the b2b position if given a chance

I am yet to see him in that role which is the major reason I picked Onyeka who plays there for his club
4-4-2 is just too limited and at Afcon we won't meet opposition as weak as Sao Tomé. 3-5-2 would have been a good option but our wide attackers would be sacrificed and that's not good enough.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:07am On Sep 17, 2023
Odunayaw:
What material do you think the basket of goals will come in?

Plastic? Weave?
Woto woto
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:14am On Sep 17, 2023
kennysville:

If I may, I think it's time we took a look at what gets Guardiola the result he has been getting. The answer is if he could pack his team with only ball playing midfielders if it were up to him, he would!

That tells us that football is beyond just scoring. There is a how to get to the scoring. When we were under Gernot Rohr, we were easily decoded cos dude built from the back and huff ball all the way to the left side looking for one moses Simon. Thet reeks of lack of creativity. We can't even string 5 passes without getting dispossessed and that is still a problem yet to be addressed.

But if we will set sentiments aside and be really objective with a view for results and not always be looking for the next best thing since sliced bread, we will see that having cerebral ball playing midfielders/ wingers is what will cure our plays. Our wingers need to be ball playing and creative. Able to adapt to playing in the middle seamlessly.

As someone quite mentioned earlier, all it took for us to lose out at Afcon and world cup qualifiers was the loss of Iwobi. It hurts but it is the truth.

We have been there in the days of Christian Chukwu as the coach where the only games that Okocha plays in for the national team were the ones we managed to win. Any game he doesn't show up for, we struggled. But back in the days of westerhoff,you had the likes of Friday Ekpo,Samson Siasia, Thomson Oliha to mention a few.

Fortify the middle and also stop the sentiments of the next big thing A la Moffi, Boniface, Orban, Dessers, etc.... these players are good but only 11 players can play at a time. What happens to the rest of the team when all we pack to tournaments are forwards? Just because sentiments will not allow us deal with what's in front of us. We wanna make room for everyone like say national team is a Molue bus.

My 2 cents
Gbam. We lack balance oo. Every tournament winning team needs good balance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:19am On Sep 17, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

I will never forgive whoever it was that handed Aribo that no.10 jersey. A shirt that has been worn by legends like Okocha and Mikel now being abused by an average dude that shouldn't even be making the team if we had decent midfield options? Nah.

Honestly, shame dey catch me whenever I see Aribo with that shirt.
Sentimental attachment. The numbers don't mean much no more. There are no classic 10s in modern football (and I hate it)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 5:02am On Sep 17, 2023
NwaIdeato:

I just refuse to buy into the Osimhen hype, he's a fantastic athlete with amazing work rate but that's where it all ends, his technique is at best slightly above average. Una don hype this guy when in truth, players like Moffi are much more well rounded than Osimhen.
lool. I will jump and pass. Baba stop this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 5:24am On Sep 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

Sentimental attachment. The numbers don't mean much no more. There are no classic 10s in modern football (and I hate it)

I'm not referring to the no. 10 position. I mean the prestige and symbolism embedded in the jersey. It is meant to be worn by the team's talismanic leader or X factor regardless of if such a player is a midfielder, winger or striker.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 6:55am On Sep 17, 2023
charlesemeka85:
and what made you say that we don’t rate 2nd tier players if not nwakali when he was in laliga 2? No twist am say abeg 🤣🤣🤣

Oga 2nd tier leagues get level. In europe as a whole the English championship is miles better and more competitive than many top tier leagues.

I will prefer playing in the championship than playing for clubs like Chaves, portimonense, Estrella, cercle brugge, NEC, Vollendam, Vitesse, Eupen, Aberdeen, saint mirren etc

If not for anything I will be well paid and stand the chance to be signed by an epl club or gain promotion to the epl with the 2nd tier club

Sporting Lisbon signed one of championship best players from Coventry last season and he currently leads the attack for them, Akpom moved to ajax from the same championship ,bellingham moved to dortmund from Birmingham and now plays for almighty Real Madrid just to mention a few I can remember

If Akpom got the numbers he had last term in clubs like eupen or Chaves I doubt he will attract a top club like Ajax

You are now sounding like Our in house Southgate because of Your bias towards Nwakali 😂😂😂

"KWARAskhelia" moved from which team to Napoli? that alone has negate the player moving from championship to big team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 6:59am On Sep 17, 2023
charlesemeka85:
he is a good tactician who deserves a big team

Until he got signed by one and flopped, big team is another kettle of fish.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:32am On Sep 17, 2023
What Moffi did that rattled Mbappe.... 😂😂😂

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 7:49am On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
But this is a normal thing any player can do after scoring na. Why was Mbappe then rattled.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:20am On Sep 17, 2023
Cc TheGoodJoe

Time answereth all...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:01am On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Cc TheGoodJoe

Time answereth all...

Thank you. That is the message. Put long term planning ahead of short gains, and you will make the best decisions at the right time.

Guardiola:

"You can expect the best from Tito. He’s more than skilled, the players know him… I think the club made a great choice. I was just the voice of the ideas Tito and I developed together."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:56am On Sep 17, 2023
Yes ooo... I am doing great. Just not been around due to some unavoidable happenings

It is well. Daalu. 🤝🏻

IDENNAA:

Cc.TheSuperNerd

Odogwu Abi is back!

Nnaa, where went you ? I hope you are well and good.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:08am On Sep 17, 2023
Raphael Onyedika Nwadike FT Stats for Club Brugge yesterday - Top Class Performance💥💯

Club Brugge 4-2 RCS Charleroi - Belgian Jupiler Pro League Matchday 7.

Played 90mins+
90 touches
1 chance created
17 final third pass entries
72/78 accurate passes
92% passing accuracy
6/10 accurate long balls
1 shot off target
4/7 ground duels won
6 recoveries
3 tackles
1 clearance
1 foul committed
Was fouled once.

*Onyedika completed the most passes (72) in the game and recorded the highest passing accuracy (92%) among players to play 45mins+

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2023
Some other Naija lads in action yesterday (Saturday - Sept 16)

✅️Jamilu Collins (LB) bagged an assist🅰️ for Cardiff City in their 2-0 win over Swansea yesterday in the Championship. He won the most tackles (5) in the game and won 6 out of 7 ground duels. His passing accuracy was 73% from 33/45 accurate passes.

✅️Toluwalase Arokodare (CF) also bagged n assist for KRC Genk in their 2-0 away win at Royal USG in Belgium. His 2nd G/A in 6 league games. He played only 13mins+ off the bench.
Overall he has 4 goals, 1 assist across all competitions from 12 games (4 starts).

✅️Igoh Ogbu (CB) kept his 4th defensive cleansheet from 7 league games as he helped his side, Slavia Prague to a slim 1-0 away win at Pardubice.

✅️Tom Dele-Bashiru (CM) played 65mins from the start contributing to his side, Watford's 2-0 win over Birmingham City in Matchday 6 of the English Championship.

✅️Flying Eagles LB at the last U20 WC, Solomon Agbalaka played all 90mins for Sochi as they fell 1-0 to Victor Moses' Spartak Moscow. It was his senior debut in Europe. Moses played 66mins.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:36am On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

✅️Jamilu Collins (LB) bagged an assist🅰️ for Cardiff City in their 2-0 win over Swansea yesterday in the Championship. He won the most tackles (5) in the game and won 6 out of 7 ground duels. His passing accuracy was 73% from 33/45 accurate passes.

✅️Toluwalase Arokodare (CF) also bagged n assist for KRC Genk in their 2-0 away win at Royal USG in Belgium. His 2nd G/A in 6 league games. He played only 13mins+ off the bench.
Overall he has 4 goals, 1 assist across all competitions from 12 games (4 starts).

✅️Igoh Ogbu (CB) kept his 4th defensive cleansheet from 7 league games as he helped his side, Slavia Prague to a slim 1-0 away win at Pardubice.

✅️Tom Dele-Bashiru (CM) played 65mins from the start contributing to his side, Watford's 2-0 win over Birmingham City in Matchday 6 of the English Championship.

✅️Flying Eagles LB at the last U20 WC, Solomon Agbalaka played all 90mins for Sochi as they fell 1-0 to Victor Moses' Spartak Moscow. It was his senior debut in Europe. Moses played 66mins.

this dele bashiru na another midfieder wey jpes suppose give chance even if na for friendly match to see if he will be good enough option in the team’s midfield

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:45am On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Moffi on Instagram just an hour ago...

His caption: Mr "Nobody" 🤣🤣🤣

Even his vid meme at the end says it all. He is here for the Vawulence.

Moffi get coconut head Las las😂😂😂😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:50am On Sep 17, 2023
Where Eagles Banter....

Arokodare and Simon bantering Moffi...🤣🤣🤣

Osimhen dropping the "ice cold" and "fire" emojis hailing Moffi....😂😂

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2023
Chuba Akpom starts for Ajax away at FC Twente in the Eredivisie.

It is his first Ajax start and 2nd appearance for them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Have you been following Anthony Uzodimma who plays in turkey?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2023
Princezibk:
am really shocked !!! People can be funny , let moffi and boniface goals dry up now (God forbid) they will also say they are fluke or pretenders 🤣🤣
I used to think it was only women that behaved that way

I was wrong

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2023
Mujtahida:

Woto woto
Men de do formation like draft
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2023
Literally been on him since 2020 on this thread when he was playing Turkish 2nd tier football for Giresunspor on loan from his current club.

I know of his current position shift too.

maidaboi:
Have you been following Anthony Uzodimma who plays in turkey?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

Two questions
1 glad Samsin tijani is now playing regularly at wolfsberger. For me i dont wang him in the nations cup so he can concentrate on his career and have a full season. How well is he playing
2. How well is fisayo dele bashiru doing in hatayspor

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Literally been on him since 2020 on this thread when he was playing Turkish 2nd tier football for Giresunspor on loan from his current club.

I know of his current position shift too.

what's is his main position because I watched him play at left back and was impressed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:19pm On Sep 17, 2023
Philosopher1979:

Two questions
1 glad Samsin tijani is now playing regularly at wolfsberger. For me i dont wang him in the nations cup so he can concentrate on his career and have a full season. How well is he playing
2. How well is fisayo dele bashiru doing in hatayspor
you are spot on about tijani, fisayo is doing incredibly well Hatayspor and has 2-3 goals with the same number of assist as well. He is a regular starter in the newly promoted Turkish league side
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2023
Naturally a midfielder (RM, CM). Yes he has played LB before but currently he is being used as a RB.

maidaboi:
what's is his main position because I watched him play at left back and was impressed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (15014) (15015) (15016) (15017) (15018) (15019) (15020) ... (16192) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lbrichman2, kingphilip(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.